Royal Caribbean Blog

Refunds

TonyK

1 hour ago, harrah79 said:

My trip was canceled by RC, we requsted a refund on 3/12. Now it's been over 30 days late for a refund. When I called them, they said give it a few more days, another week has passed and no refund. They told me the same thing today. Is there anyone else waiting just as long? 

Yes, almost everyone. I requested a refund the morning of 3/13 and was told 2 days ago it would be another 30-45 days. I got my bank/credit card company involved. They agreed the multiple stories and lack of communication were unacceptable, even given the circumstances. 

2 hours ago, Newtorc said:

I got my bank/credit card company involved. They agreed the multiple stories and lack of communication were unacceptable, even given the circumstances. 

How does that work?  I have rarely got my credit card company involved in cases of fraud. Usually, my credit card company involves me when there is suspicious activity.  In cases of a disagreement and some dissatisfaction, they usually recommend working it out before disputing a charge.  I don't think there is any fraud involved... delays, lack of communication, frustration-yes.  I don't think it is as simple as dispute charge - get refund.  I'm just curious.  I have considered the action you have taken but I'm not sure how that would work out. 

2 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

How does that work?  I have rarely got my credit card company involved in cases of fraud. Usually, my credit card company involves me when there is suspicious activity.  In cases of a disagreement and some dissatisfaction, they usually recommend working it out before disputing a charge.  I don't think there is any fraud involved... delays, lack of communication, frustration-yes.  I don't think it is as simple as dispute charge - get refund.  I'm just curious.  I have considered the action you have taken but I'm not sure how that would work out. 

I explained the entire situation to my credit card company and they said it falls within their parameters of a disputable charge. They credited my account and the dispute will close in 3 months. If RC refunds the $ , my credit card company will reverse the credit issued at the time of the dispute.  I am not optimistic about receiving my FCC and hope I don't have to dispute the charge associated with that!

2 hours ago, Dad2Cue said:

I really don’t know either, I’ve never disputed a charge in my life. But I’ve never been treated like this either. Ive been told a different story every time I have called and been completely ignored and disregarded (I’ve gotten NO correspondence from RC except the cancelation of my time dining).  The way they have handled this is inexcusable in my book and the bank agreed and says it’s actionable. They know more about that than I do. I’m more than willing to be patient, but they need to communicate. 

1 hour ago, Newtorc said:

I really don’t know either, I’ve never disputed a charge in my life...

I’m more than willing to be patient, but they need to communicate. 

I'm that way too.  I would be hard pressed to determine which transactions to dispute. 

To be honest, I thought Royal might have limited liability for losses caused by "acts of god" like pandemics.  Even if they came out and communicated that they aren't obligated to refund anything would be better.  I wouldn't like it but I would try to get over it and move on.

@Dad2Cue @Newtorc Under normal circumstances when you dispute a charge, your credit card will reimburse you the said amount while they send a grievance to the disputed party. It could take anywhere from 30-60 days for them to resolve the case when you dispute a charge. It goes to a department dedicated by your credit card company or bank, who sole purpose is to gather the facts and force a resolution. So you will see a credit, with minutes or days, but if things are not sufficient then the credit will go through reversal. Most people who try to fraud/dispute a cruise will go through reversal as their cruise contract negates such a thing. However given these unprecedented times, they can force companies into refunds. I doubt RCCI has a fraud department and given that they are trying to process millions of customers, this stops/affects the process all the other people patiently waiting. Plus it cost them extra money...and not just in wages. Also keep in mind if you dispute a charge with your credit card or bank you run the risk of being barred.  A cruise company can ban you from ever cruising again. Which I guess won't matter to those of you who are impatient to get your money back.

The only thing that has me frustrated about refunds is that I don't know where my price-adjustment refunds are in all this mess. When I called RCCL, they said call my travel agent, since I booked through a TA...and of course, it's not like she could know anything different, and besides, she's got enough extra work without me bothering her with something that RCCL itself is responsible for.

I'm hoping for those payments to be refunded soon, because I wanted to use them as deposits for a future cruise in conjunction with the smaller of 2 FCCs I have. But I worry that they're just gonna be lost in the ether until all these FCCs are settled.

@Chadster I am sure RCCI is using an algorithm to process refunds. Refunds are normally processed in the order they go into the system, sometimes by fiscal quarters. We all know they are not manual and every time a person calls to try to have a rep push or dispute a charge, it affects that. It sucks because a lot of us don't want to spend more for deposits when we know already spent money is available.

10 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@Chadster I am sure RCCI is using an algorithm to process refunds. Refunds are normally processed in the order they go into the system, sometimes by fiscal quarters. We all know they are not manual and every time a person calls to try to have a rep push or dispute a charge, it affects that. It sucks because a lot of us don't want to spend more for deposits when we know already spent money is available.

Yeah, I know...that's why I'm just checking my account every day to see if the credit's shown up. I'm hitting the 45-day mark on both of the re-prices, so it's a little extra frustrating. And I certainly won't end up getting my credit card or bank involved, 1) because these charges weren't made separately, and 2) because I don't feel like I have a dispute with RCCL. I get that others feel differently.

I'm guessing these refunds are possibly being issued in cruise-date order; that's what Princess's website says they're doing.

It's just weird to be waiting to get money back from a company just so you can give it right back to them! 🤔 Plus, I'm hoping I'll be able to get the new cruise booked before this Cruise Planner sale goes away so I can give them even more money (for which they'll give me booze and other goods)! 🤑

I don't know how accurate this is, but this was posted on facebook on one cruises that i was scheduled for.

WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY FUTURE CRUISE CREDIT FROM THE CORONAVIRUS-IMPACTED CANCELLED SAILINGS?

For sailings through April 10th, 2020, Future Cruise Credits will be sent via email no later than Monday, April 13th, 2020.

Future Cruise Credits for suspended sailings departing between April 11th – May 11th, 2020 can be expected on-or-before Monday, April 30th, 2020.

Future Cruise Credits for suspended sailings departing between May 12 – June 11, 2020 can be expected on-or-before Friday, May 22, 2020.

Danger:  Wild speculation coming.

My May 16 Majesty Cruise is still in my list of upcoming cruises.  Of course, it has been cancelled and I would be unable to make any purchases if I were to try...but my speculation is that as long as that cruise is still in my list of upcoming cruises, it has not officially been cancelled “in their system”.  This term, I believe, is the key.  It is my thesis that until that cruise disappears, my refund will not be initiated.  ...and as we all know, the cruises have been remaining in our “list” until after the cruise has completed.  In the past, the cruise would disappear from the “upcoming” list the evening before embarkation, but for the past several months, the cruise has remained on the website even after the cruise itself was under way.

So...I do not expect my refund countdown clock to start until May 23, making my refund process around the last week in June.

I guess there will be no way to know until I see the $$.

52 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@Dad2Cue @Newtorc Under normal circumstances when you dispute a charge, your credit card will reimburse you the said amount while they send a grievance to the disputed party. It could take anywhere from 30-60 days for them to resolve the case when you dispute a charge. It goes to a department dedicated by your credit card company or bank, who sole purpose is to gather the facts and force a resolution. So you will see a credit, with minutes or days, but if things are not sufficient then the credit will go through reversal. Most people who try to fraud/dispute a cruise will go through reversal as their cruise contract negates such a thing. However given these unprecedented times, they can force companies into refunds. I doubt RCCI has a fraud department and given that they are trying to process millions of customers, this stops/affects the process all the other people patiently waiting. Plus it cost them extra money...and not just in wages. Also keep in mind if you dispute a charge with your credit card or bank you run the risk of being barred.  A cruise company can ban you from ever cruising again. Which I guess won't matter to those of you who are impatient to get your money back.

I’ve been patient.  It’s been 40+ days since I requested and was told to wait another 45 days. It’s principle foe at this point.  Southwest, American Airlines, and many hotel chains I had reservations with have all been very transparent and treated me well. They will get my business and money again.  Disney Cruise Line is also only taking 2 weeks to refund. RC has handled this very poorly. They are either manipulating things or their CSRs are ill informed. RC can ban me, I have no desire to give them any money ever again. To each their own.  

22 minutes ago, Newtorc said:

I’ve been patient.  It’s been 40+ days since I requested and was told to wait another 45 days. It’s principle foe at this point.  Southwest, American Airlines, and many hotel chains I had reservations with have all been very transparent and treated me well. They will get my business and money again.  Disney Cruise Line is also only taking 2 weeks to refund. RC has handled this very poorly. They are either manipulating things or their CSRs are ill informed. RC can ban me, I have no desire to give them any money ever again. To each their own.  

It is to bad. But I completely understand. I have no idea why they wait so long. I am waiting for my excursions money back and they say it will take 30-40 days? 

@Newtorc I am sorry it is taking forever. However comparing airlines and hotels that deal with refunds on the daily to a cruise line is not the same. Flights and hotels can be cancelled by the proprietor on a daily basis. How many times does an actual cruise get cancelled? I was told up to 90 days by CCL and I think RCCI could have done a better job in the beginning with communication. If I was told 30 days or less and now at 40+ days, I would be weary and wondering where my funds are too....

I did receive a cancellation this morning for excursions and the cruise for May 10th on Freedom of the Seas is no longer showing in my list of cruises. I did opt for a refund on March 25th. I have not contacted them at any time other than to request the refund via the form. This is the response I received this morning:

Dear Charmain,

A change has been made to your reservation or guest status. Due to this new "cancelled" status in your reservation, we have cancelled all reservations made using our Cruise Planner pertaining to each guest listed below.

All monies will be credited or reimbursed based on your original form of payment. Please print this page for your records.

We thank you for your understanding.

Royal Caribbean International

I hope everyone does receive their refund in a timely manner. 

So....I just heard from RC that my refund and FCC has been processed; however, I can expect it to take 3-6 weeks to receive the refund and FCC. So, something is coming, but who knows when I will get it. Cancellation was 3/20, with refund and FCC on 4/20. Now just waiting on the FCC email and refund to process to my card.

The waiting continues.

On 3/30/2020 at 8:58 AM, Carl Vitanza said:

RE: Liberty of Sea Cruise March 15, 2020

RCC cancelled my cruise on March 13. I was proactive watching cruises being cancelled all around the world at that time and cancelled my cruise on March 12 - one day before RCC cancelled the cruise themselves. I was given 100% FCC on March 12. RCC offered me 125% FCC or 100% cash refund on March 13 email. I went online and took the 100% cash refund. RCC has stiffed me on that offer. RCC admitted to me over the phone 2 days ago that they ignored my online request for 100% cash refund. RCC customer service person also admitted that they never told passengers that RCC would ignore March 13 offers for passengers who cancelled one day prior. Totally wrong ! Bottom line is that I was penalized for paying attention and cancelling one day before RCC cancelled the cruise themselves. I'm done with RCC. Many folks in same situation and I'm signing up for class action suit being formulated now.  

Can you tell me how to join the class action suit?  We are in the same boat. Hahaha. I heard the news on March 13, so I called and cancelled our March 22 cruise.  I am also high risk.  We have been getting the run around ever since. They only want to give us an FCC good until Oct.31 2020. And it is not 100%.  It is short over $200.  And no choice for refund!  Every time we call when we corner the agent they hang up on us!.  I am trying to find out how to talk to someone higher up, but they won't let. you.  So if you hear of a class action were in !

I did something tonight I swore I wouldn't do: I opened disputes with my bank over a charge.

I did an upgrade on my now-canceled 6/4 cruise on Adventure, from a balcony to an aft-facing junior suite. Royal charged me more than they quoted my TA, resulting in an overcharge of $180.

I ultimately decided to take that route because I was looking back over my emails, and my travel agent reported that per the cruise line, a refund had been returned to my card more than 30 days ago. I spelled it all out in my dispute form. Wouldn't you know, the second dispute I originally filed, the refund from Celebrity for a deposit on a booking I cancelled showed up at the end of daily accounting; called my bank this morning so they could close that one. So yay for that! 🙂

All the other refunds of taxes, the other price-adjustment refund, and the coming FCC, I can wait for -- but this one just felt like I got shafted, even though I know that wasn't RCCL's intent. If the refund shows up before the resolution on the dispute is completed, I'll cancel it.

I understand all of this takes time, but in the case of the dispute where I had been told concretely that the overcharge had been refunded to my card, I decided I'm going to speak up.

On 4/20/2020 at 1:14 PM, Fulshear540 said:

I posted this on a different thread, but thought I'd cover all my bases.

Cancelled my cruise on 3/19...received the same changing promises/stories everyone else has regarding the timeline.  Today was day 32 w/o a refund for cruise fair and cruise planner purchases (with the exception of a small amount for part of a meal package).

Decided to call again today.  Was told the full refund was issued yesterday but give it another 2-4 days to show up in my account.  Holding my breath...will let everyone know if it shows up.

UPDATE - full refund finally showed up in my account today.