Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Diabetics not allowed on cruise


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

A new policy that doesn't go into effect until Monday. So this either shouldn't happen or didn't happen (and considering it's a new user who hasn't come back to reply and maybe never will, I suspect it's a made up story by someone who read the policy and decided to make waves).

I didn't catch the date, I was focused on the intent of the post.  But to answer some who say how will they know? The notice clearly states,  if you are over 70, you will go through a special screening and you will have to present a letter from your doctor that you do NOT have certain medical conditions. Anyone over 70 will have an additional form  

a.  Boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, unless the guest provides written verification from a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mljstr said:

I didn't catch the date, I was focused on the intent of the post.  But to answer some who say how will they know? The notice clearly states,  if you are over 70, you will go through a special screening and you will have to present a letter from your doctor that you do NOT have certain medical conditions. Anyone over 70 will have an additional form  

They won't know.  I suspect this has been drummed up by the legal team.  Anyone could have diabetes, or any other chronic health condition, and either tell the truth, and be denied boarding (so Royal doesn't have to worry about something happening to them) or they lie, and they can say "hey, we asked and they said no.  They lied, it's on them."  In practicality it's a meaningless policy, but it makes the lawyers happy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

They won't know.  I suspect this has been drummed up by the legal team.  Anyone could have diabetes, or any other chronic health condition, and either tell the truth, and be denied boarding (so Royal doesn't have to worry about something happening to them) or they lie, and they can say "hey, we asked and they said no.  They lied, it's on them."  In practicality it's a meaningless policy, but it makes the lawyers happy.

Yes, I am sure the lawyers have required this. But it clearly states in the policy: 

a.  Boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, unless the guest provides written verification from a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel.

If you click on written verification, it includes name and sail date and this language from a DOCTOR:I hereby certify that this patient does not suffer from any chronic illness (e.g. heart, lung, liver or kidney disease or immunodeficiency state due to HIV?AIDS or diabetes) which would make this patient susceptible to complications arising after infection with the Novel Coronavirus...

 

I attest this person is fit to sail on a cruise vacation.

__________________________________________________

Signature of treating physician.

 

It is not just a question. You must present this form.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mljstr said:

Yes, I am sure the lawyers have required this. But it clearly states in the policy: 

a.  Boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, unless the guest provides written verification from a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel.

Yes, for those over 70.  Then below that it addresses everyone else. That's what I'm talking about.

"b. Boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC...chronic ... lung, ...disease

Unfortunately, the CDC website doesn't have a definition of what qualifies as a "chronic lung disease," let alone anything that makes it clear what is "severe."

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gears said:

b. Boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

Who decides severity of a person's condition?

And don't the majority of people have one one of those listed health issues?  Hypertension, Afib, CHF are all chronic heart conditions and people live happy, healthy otherwise lives every day with those. And how many millions of people have diabetes? Or cancer? And are just fine? 

I think the word "may" is the key word and as @WAAAYTOOO has said, it allows Royal Caribbean to cover their a**.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

Who decides severity of a person's condition?

And don't the majority of people have one one of those listed health issues?  Hypertension, Afib, CHF are all chronic heart conditions and people live happy, healthy otherwise lives every day with those. And how many millions of people have diabetes? Or cancer? And are just fine? 

I think the word "may" is the key word and as @WAAAYTOOO has said, it allows Royal Caribbean to cover their a**.

 

Except before that it says Boarding WILL be denied. So it's really unclear.  And that's why anyone who wants to risk it will just lie.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

Who decides severity of a person's condition?

 

I believe the doctor does, and I doubt a doctor wants to say a patient with any chronic disease is "fit to go an a cruise" in the midst of this coronavirus and put his license on the line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mljstr said:

Unfortunately I think they should completely shut down for 30-60 days. I will be affected but it’s for the good of the country. Then no worries about lying. 

Well, lying about having a chronic disease only affects the person with the chronic disease.  But with Canada closing ports to all ships over 500 people through July 1,  other cruise lines shutting down, and ports closing other places, I don't see how much longer Royal can hold out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HeWhoWaits said:

 

 

Unfortunately, the CDC website doesn't have a definition of what qualifies as a "chronic lung disease," let alone anything that makes it clear what is "severe."

That is why I am so confused, what qualifies as severe. I have asthama. It has never stopped me from doing or trying things. I have kayaked, moution climed, ran a 5k, and skied. All those activites are not advised for people with asthma, so I dont think a cruise will stop me.  Hell, I joined the military at 18 (lied of course about it), but served my country proudly with no issures. I am at risk every flu season, so I wash my hands, cover my mouth, and go on about my day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Well, lying about having a chronic disease only affects the person with the chronic disease.  But with Canada closing ports to all ships over 500 people through July 1,  other cruise lines shutting down, and ports closing other places, I don't see how much longer Royal can hold out.

They could hold out until About April when boats move to Alaska then I only see them being able to do Caribbean and Bermuda cruises.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 3/13/2020 at 6:57 AM, sabarwolf said:

Somehow, this sounds very fishy to me. While being diabetic is something that needs to be attended to, and cruise lines likely are sensitive to it, I very much doubt it to be a reason for denial of passage on a cruise ship.

According to RCCL,

Effective Friday, March 13, boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AgentBeth said:

According to RCCL,

Effective Friday, March 13, boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

Carnival began the same restrictions on March 13 and then immediately turned away people with existing chronic conditions who were trying to board the Fantasy on the March 13 sailing out of Mobile, AL. 

“It’s just sad because there’s nothing we can do about it,” said Ashley Maynor, who was one of many who were told they couldn’t board the ship due to underlying health issues.

Maynor says she and her group came from Illinois to cruise out of Mobile, she says they weren’t told they couldn’t board because of the underlying health issue until 9:30 p.m. and weren’t given a hotel room until at least 7 hours later. She had six people in her group, four didn’t get on the ship, two did. She says those two tried to get off the ship, but couldn’t because of long lines at the guest services desks.

“We did typical protocol, got our luggage out, went through security, everything was good to go. Come to find out that they tagged 80 passengers on the boat and they knew from this morning or yesterday morning that those passengers were not going to be allowed to board,” said Maynor.

https://www.wkrg.com/mobile-county/carnival-passengers-say-they-were-denied-boarding-due-to-existing-conditions/

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just informed my son, type 1, and my father, who has a heart issue, would not be allowed on board  (June 20th, 2020 sailing date) per CDC restrictions.  We were issued a 125% credit with RCCL.  According to travel agent, this credit is non-transferable, even in the event my father passes before they lift the restriction.  i was a big RCCL fan right up until today.  I understand their policy to not let them on the ship, but I do not agree with their policy on the refund.  It is like getting credit to a store but you are not allowed to shop there.

One member of our party is leaving on a 2 year service mission for church and will not be able to use his credit.  Not making this transferable even within the family is ridiculous.

Common Questions that have arrived from this post: 

I gave this information to RCCL.  My father is over 70 and a doctor's note would have mentioned his health issues.  Regarding my son, on previous cruises, giving that information helped the cruise line be prepared for meeting his needs.   Personally, I think travelers being dishonest in these matters is a central problem with the cruise industry gaining the public's trust going forward.  

In my first contact with RCCL I was told I would receive a refund.  That story changed when the travel agent called RCCL.  I don't think everyone is on the same page just yet.  We are okay with the credit, but the non-transferable policy with an senior citizen that currently is banned from boarding does not sit right with me.  That policy is very unfriendly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Douglas said:

I was just informed my son, type 1, and my father, who has a heart issue, would not be allowed on board  (June 20th, 2020 sailing date) per CDC restrictions.  We were issued a 125% credit with RCCL.  According to travel agent, this credit is non-transferable, even in the event my father passes before they lift the restriction.  i was a big RCCL fan right up until today.  I understand their policy to not let them on the ship, but I do not agree with their policy on the refund.  It is like getting credit to a store but you are not allowed to shop there.

I doubt they'll be sailing by June 20th. Nobody really knows for sure if people with pre-existing conditions will, or will not, be allowed on board when cruises do start up again.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Douglas said:

I was just informed my son, type 1, and my father, who has a heart issue, would not be allowed on board  (June 20th, 2020 sailing date) per CDC restrictions.  We were issued a 125% credit with RCCL.  According to travel agent, this credit is non-transferable, even in the event my father passes before they lift the restriction.  i was a big RCCL fan right up until today.  I understand their policy to not let them on the ship, but I do not agree with their policy on the refund.  It is like getting credit to a store but you are not allowed to shop there.

This doesn't seem to align with their published restrictions, which were put in place on March 13. At that time, RCL said that anyone denied boarding would receive a full refund. Also, where did RCL get this information? Since there is no firm policy regarding such restrictions extending to June 20, it seems this may not be correct on the part of your agent. Could this have been a credit issued for a sailing that is already cancelled beyond 6/11? Such as one involving a Canadian port?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Douglas said:

I was just informed my son, type 1, and my father, who has a heart issue, would not be allowed on board  (June 20th, 2020 sailing date) per CDC restrictions.  We were issued a 125% credit with RCCL.  According to travel agent, this credit is non-transferable, even in the event my father passes before they lift the restriction.  i was a big RCCL fan right up until today.  I understand their policy to not let them on the ship, but I do not agree with their policy on the refund.  It is like getting credit to a store but you are not allowed to shop there.

How did Royal even know about these health conditions? Don’t Hipa rules exsist?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...