WAAAYTOOO

Thanksgiving Side to Side: Brilliance to Oasis

24 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I think embarkation lunch is a logistical nightmare for Chops. The suites breakfast at Chops was always good.

Maybe RC should consider (across the fleet) changing the Key lunch from an embarkation day lunch to just a complimentary lunch similar to what they used to offer with the CP balcony staterooms (choice of Chops or Giovanni's/Jamie's and make the lunch reservation for any available day once onboard).

Spread out the complimentary lunch since they're pushing the limits with the Key which forced them into the MDR. Something is going to give and hopefully they work it out by the end of next May before we go on Oasis... LOL!

15 hours ago, JohnK6404 said:

Maybe RC should consider (across the fleet) changing the Key lunch from an embarkation day lunch to just a complimentary lunch similar to what they used to offer with the CP balcony staterooms (choice of Chops or Giovanni's/Jamie's and make the lunch reservation for any available day once onboard).

Spread out the complimentary lunch since they're pushing the limits with the Key which forced them into the MDR. Something is going to give and hopefully they work it out by the end of next May before we go on Oasis... LOL!

Not a bad idea.  Turn around day is hectic.  Many crew do double duty moving luggage, moving supplies, wearing those yellow "Ask me" shirts around the ship.  Catering a massive lunch in any venue other than WJ is stretching the crew very thin.   

Plus if a Key guest arrives later they miss the lunch.

Hosting it on a sea day or doing it like CP makes a lot of sense.

Today was incredibly busy and I am beat.  Will give a very brief overview

Walked off with self assist at 7:15 with the Suites Concierge. Without a doubt the best disembarkation ever, including Star Class.  Dan and I were #3 an 4 off the ship.  Basically never even slowed down. Walked straight off.

First disappointment - no National Rental car shuttle but in fairness, it was 7:15. I suspect they showed up later.  We grudgingly paid $8 ea for a shared shuttle to the airport where we got our ride for the day from Tampa to Miami.  Total cost - $17.09 b/c I wanted XM radio.  Great deal (used points).

We did 2 real estate recons and neither really suits our needs.  Honestly, The only thing that is going to make Dan happy is a high rise condo in downtown Miami that overlooks the port.  That’s all....

After leaving our second stop (Lakewood Ranch), we began the very long and very boring drive to Miami.  I thought it would never end !  

Finally pulled into Miami airport to return the rental car a bit after 6 PM.  Called for an Uber to pick us up but he never found us and cancelled the trip on us.  Very annoyed !  Ended up taking a taxi from MIA to the Marriott Biscayne Bay. It didn’t cost much more than Uber would have been but it was still annoying.  Is there a way to rate an Uber driver if you don’t actually complete the ride ?

We hadn’t had anything to eat since b’fast at Chops at 6:30 so we were famished.  The slop they were offering in the Concierge Club was utterly unappealing so we went down to the restaurant downstairs.  I had forgotten (until I looked at the menu) how awful the food was the last time we ate there....but I was out of options so I ordered a quesadilla. Ugh.  2 bites and I was done.  The truth is when I am very tired I just can’t eat so I don’t think I would have enjoyed it even if it had been appetizing. Dan gobbled down his poke bowl.

Can’t wait to board Oasis in the morning.  We anticipate calling an Uber at 10:00AM. Sorry you are having to disembark, Ashley.  I enjoyed your blog so much !

Night, all.

8 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

.  Called for an Uber to pick us up but he never found us and cancelled the trip on us.  Very annoyed !  

This was my experience at the Miami airport, too.  In my case, it was my fault - Miami is set up different from MSP - where the level where you claim your baggage after your flight is done is the inbound area, the ticketing/TSA area where you board your flight is the outgoing area (I can't remember what they called it in Miami).  So since I was on baggage level, I assumed (out of sheer SpeedNoodles logic) that I was on the incoming level, and my Uber drove through the outgoing level three times before he gave up and charged me a $5 no show fee.  I then ordered a Lyft, since by then I'd figured out my error (even though to this day I think that it was labeled by Scarface in a very high moment) and all was good. 

Enjoy Oasis!

You're writing is hilarious!  Thanks so much for a great review. I'm really looking forward to your Oasis cruise as we're on January 26th in Star Class also. Will be great to hear about new venues and the group of Genies on board. Wishing you an awesome cruise!!

@Rags1 it’s going to go be an “All Star” Genie team for the next few months. Israel  (starting Dec 8th), Smitha, and Allan F. All of them are experienced Genies, around for a very long time, and all have superb reviews. You basically cannot go wrong with any of them!  Unsure if they are keeping a 4th genie around. Maybe @WAAAYTOOO can inquire about that as I am curious too.

@WAAAYTOOO your Uber situation, that happened to us with Lyft in Fort Lauderdale. I was so mad! Like @SpeedNoodles, they charged us a $5 no show fee too and the guy didn’t even call. We were standing right there and saw him drive off! Anyway, I sent a complaint and they refunded me back my money and said they would follow up with the driver. 

So we’re finally here !  Yeah !

Embarkation was awesome. Only epic fail was in getting the taxi driver to drop us at the right place. We are 1 for 5 on this issue. Not sure why we have such a hard time getting to the SC banner (so far only successful at Port Liberty) but we schlepped our bags down to the purple banner and made contact with the SC kiosk. Of course, we had to fight off numerous porters trying to take our bags but we trekked forward until we reached our destination.  

image.thumb.jpeg.b0018fa87b5f43e72ba5fb21e0eb2ff6.jpeg

Then we had to fight off the SC greeter who also insisted that we surrender our bags but our will was great and our mission clear-our bags are staying WITH US !

So once we cleared the greeting area our next challenge was Security.  Dan wasn’t particularly pleased when he realized he was going to have to pick up all of the bags and place them on the security conveyor himself (the price you pay for keeping your bags WITH YOU.).

I thought I had captured the bags going through the scanner but I guess I didn’t.  They did, however, all make it through successfully and our next stop was up the elevator to the Suites waiting area.

image.thumb.jpeg.d20a54a614ad508012ae238eb3e7fb04.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3a13e7b00d8dcfa720a451d08f98a0eb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.efe9f56b7ff7b336f2a5c9092fc036e5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.94eb8bf6f82c236c59941c974d06179e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.28e1e7952ee76586a6b6b0c3812a6741.jpeg

That luggage cart would become very important in about 5 minutes.

image.thumb.jpeg.39946564c5b97b1e6f83d79635156abb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ea63fb86b98a375986004fbe9e0ac2fc.jpeg

The moment we walked into the Suites waiting area, they announced that boarding was beginning.  We had to wait for Joyce, but it was no more than 5 minutes and I spotted her.  We met and she summoned a ship’s porter to help us with our bags.  So for those who wondered how it works (to keep your bags with you rather than having the porters bring them), here it is in action  

image.thumb.jpeg.d7793d4a3e4df0d67ed824db77f97558.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6358df16309df4f29b7bcd2c4fd562a3.jpeg

They loaded up the luggage cart and on we went, straight through boarding to our suite (Grand Panoramic Suite 1758).  There are no stairs on this suite so I had the porter just drop the bags inside but if we had been in a Loft suite, I would have asked him to take them upstairs.

I really, really like Joyce.  She is funny and has an infectious smile.  Look what she did for us before we even got to our room !  It is on our Suite door.

❤️❤️

image.thumb.jpeg.13c9600ee072148032d8d1bd693ab4fd.jpeg

Dan claims he never wants to leave the suite.  It is, in fact, the nicest room we’ve ever had.

Why did the star class greeter insist that you surrender your bags?  I would think that they would know the process at that point?  

And, I wonder if you had given your bags to the SC greeter, then would they have taken it through security for you and upstairs?  When we were at Port Everglades, I would not let our luggage go until we reached the SC greeter. That was just before security. They took it through security along with us and the bags followed us.  I wonder if you would have had the same results at terminal A. 

Might be asking a whole lot of questions from here on out. While we have sailed from Terminal A before, this March we will do SC out of there so I will be relying on all your knowledge, as usual. 😉

Yeah, biggest challenge is trying to get the driver to understand don't stop at the luggage drop off area. Just keep going until the front doors.

Then having to explain to anyone directing traffic that you were told to go right to the entrance.

Maybe Royal or the Genie should start sending a full page picture of the Star class logo. That way it could placed on the dash when entering the drop off area and maybe people would understand. Maybe have a second page or back side in multiple languages explaining the procedure.

Next is a suite recon. Sabrina, it is my unprofessional opinion that the only thing that has been refreshed in this suite is the mattress and MAYBE the carpeting. I know for sure the drapes are not new. There’s a possibility the couch/sleeper bed might be new. 

image.thumb.jpeg.41d129ed5517de5cce1c4a8b8c611567.jpeg

Dressing table (and bathtub reflection) in MBR

image.thumb.jpeg.603e2c5d6a912f7bb81e963e9f1efb66.jpeg

Closets next to dressing table 

image.thumb.jpeg.9310cc2d2dc5d7db425b041bb2164761.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3dac72a72303fae473f0094824b42db4.jpeg

Same closets, open

image.thumb.jpeg.b458f77eee961229b378e601fcbb6d53.jpeg

Closets/ drawers on the other side of the dressing table 

image.thumb.jpeg.58d4dc42a6c924c85cde66078e60a965.jpeg

Opened

image.thumb.jpeg.92cc8b2ea70aa3c1064ca4298a34b682.jpeg

One more set of closets

image.thumb.jpeg.e82fa6c42a5db6df96c888c258a2592f.jpeg

Inside

image.thumb.jpeg.d6757bd0b9b957b7dbf6f97215199d58.jpeg

Star Class laundry bag.  Sorry it’s upside down !   This is one of the great under-advertised joys of SC.  You can send your laundry out every day !  I already have 2 bags full from Brilliance even though I sent our out once on Brilliance 

image.thumb.jpeg.7df9676210a449cd509bb91afbb5f816.jpeg

Ginormous bathtub

image.thumb.jpeg.9fc285a67a26ac0b171837fba6720c00.jpeg

His and hers sinks

image.thumb.jpeg.fbf011461a024b3651770f8d4863428c.jpeg

Each sink area has its own outlets for electric razors.  Wish they gave power outlets the same priority !

image.thumb.jpeg.cb0058962461953bda59dfc09c508367.jpeg

Beautiful walk-in shower 

image.thumb.jpeg.68da6c0147dabe9d5a4675938174f68e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.18e0b753730a1682391c35a3bbac0bd4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2829b42dd643377b2897800d3bfacf1c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e5326fe343758f2b1a0802e782e94bbb.jpeg

Door to the potty

image.thumb.jpeg.1425aa1facad1dd5d95028adb984d6e9.jpeg

Potty and bidet !  Yippee !!

image.thumb.jpeg.3e73eceab4ab8a6ecfb8c467bf65b202.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.127a839ccf43e2b62473557ff3206f10.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ccbffbb05aa6f88daf9c5a2b4c1ea979.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bf3473a5a1989fc117bad1d2c20e512f.jpeg
Coming down from the bathroom into the bedroom

image.thumb.jpeg.d9e3e6611e9d4232a62655ebf48a7842.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2ef29a412882f26bf4092bad4620d52f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2cb1ed35209db166cc1079e82e953348.jpeg
You can see that the privacy shades are up.  They come up from the bottom and this is as far up as they go.   When we got to the suite it was as hot as h, e, double hockey sticks in here.  I think they like to “present” the suite with all the drapes open but that heats up the room like a broiler.  First thing I did was close every drape and shade and turn the AC down to “quick freeze”.  

image.thumb.jpeg.970efc3cec9dd59e3bf5c6c658069cd0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fe2ae36c60e1b17fb7d490488af170c4.jpeg

Outlet situation on both sides of the bed.  Still wholly inadequate. 

image.thumb.jpeg.bc8a0219bd6a4a573a5a3b1137f56237.jpeg

That’s it for the bedroom/bathroom areas.  It’s almost mister drill time so I will  come back later with the Living room area

image.jpeg

18 minutes ago, SCCHRIS32162 said:

The SC greeter was not wrong. There is a porter that is assigned to take your bags and stay with you through security until you are upstairs and then they hand off the bags to the ship porter and they take them to your room. 

I do understand this. It’s just that we have had too many epic fails for getting our luggage delivered when SC. We now insist on keeping our luggage with us ALL the way.  It has worked perfectly the last 2 times.