Entertainers on board – Who are your Favorites?

Kurtp13

I've had a few over the years - Not much of a headliner or show guy so mine are typically onboard musicians who make for a memorable trip. 

The first was the Katia Labozetta jazz band on Oasis back in 2010. We found our way to Jazz on 4 the 2nd night while walking around the ship and instantly became regulars. We were there every night closing it down, chatting with the band on breaks and singing their praises to the rest in our group trying to getting them to come to see a set before the cruise was over. Finally, on the last night when my brother and I had planned to stay until their first break and say our goodbyes and head back to the room - a very large group of people we had been harassing all week came in and wouldn't let us leave early. Was a fun night but man disembarkation was difficult the next morning. Still in contact with Katia on facebook all these years later. 

Second was a classical guitarist who played nightly onboard Liberty in 2016. Voytek (I think is how you spell it). He was great and really enjoyed pre-dinner cocktails while listening to him. 

In 2017 on board Anthem the Journey cover band Infinite Journey was on for the week in the Music Hall and were awesome. They also played 270 one night and the place was packed. 

I really enjoyed Kivi Rogers when he was on Liberty Of the Seas, Oct 2019. He was very matter of fact,  challenges political correctness, and was all around nice as well as funny. 

I don't remember much else that was going on but so far this cruise is almost like they grabbed someone who was a small blip on the radar but would never go very far. Here is hoping that the next one will be better. 

Favorite pub guy Charlie Jourdan.

Favorite schooner guy Billy Pando.  Kelly Goodrich close 2nd.

Favorite band Muzak Express or Centerpiece. As a side note these two bands are from the Philippines. I saw the male singer from Centerpiece in the star lounge one night and spoke with him.

I asked him if they here the music they play on the ships while they were growing up as they play American pop hits from many decades.  He said no and they buy cd's and teach themselves to play the music and songs. Pretty incredible!

• 4 months later...

Just got off Symphony of the Seas and sat in the airport ready to fly home 12 March 22.

Just wanted to say that Centerpiece, the 6 member band we had the pleasure of listening to all week were truly outstanding and made our cruise amazing. They play every possible style from Guns n Roses through to Chic and do it so well that you have to remind yourself that its not the original artist. They play almost every night in Dazzles as well as overlooking the Royal Promenade. They are a very talented group of individuals with drive and enthusiasm. In essence they are the best ship band ive ever heard by a long shot and not to be missed!

Thanks!

Really enjoyed guitarist Voytek Kozikowski "The Guitarist" on Harmony of the Seas last week.  Amazing repertoire and style. Played in Central Park, Schooner Bar, and other locations throughout the ship.  Very talented musician.  He was selling his CDs onboard, but unfortunately said no presence on any of the streaming platforms.

After seeing El Gaucho twice on different ships I have to say he is fun and entertaining.  Going to break out my guitar and start playing Flamenco now that he showed me the secret... Lifting up my damn stand mixer is going to suck though.  Might have to spring for a handheld one at some point.

Most have at least been funny or informative to watch, there have been a couple that just made us cringe though.  I think finding that group is a much better idea though.  One woman on Liberty in October literally just wasn't funny at all.  Every time where she could have cracked a joke and ran with it she just couldn't string it together and would fumble after getting the slightest chuckle.  This other guy was often yelling at the top of his lungs for half the show.  It started off kinda ok and the longer he went on and the more amped up and louder he got the less funny it was.

We grew up in the 80's and Wanted (Bon Jovi) and No Quarter (Led Zep) have been great bands so far.  Still hoping to see DSB and Phoenix.

Hector the magician, Landry the comedian, Jeff Trachta (singing and impersonations) have all been solid entertainers.

The pub singer on Symphony in September was from Scotland and was personable and very talented, can't remember his name.

Axel Guidice (Oasis Central Park) plays a great mood setting acoustic guitar most nights.

Andy from Empress of the Seas looked and sounded like Elton John and packed the Schooner Bar whenever he played.

For something different, try the jazz band in the Jazz on 4 stage.   They are great.

The cruise director on Oasis, Mike, got up and sang 2 songs with the Humans and he did well.   

I second the votes for No Quarter and DSB!   They were both on the Christmas week Odyssey of the Seas, and they were both excellent.  The added bonus was that Miles Schon (DSB lead guitarist and son on Journey's Neil Schon) jammed with No Quarter on the Christmas Eve show in the Music Hall.  It was great!

In general, the Music Hall on the ships is a great location to see these bands.  

• 1 month later...

Just finished a cruise on oasis of the seas. There was a classical guitarist that played in Central Park every day that we absolutely loved. He also played in the main hall as a “classical guitarist “. Of course we forgot to write down his name or take any of his information – does anyone know who this may be? I want to say his first name was “Axel “but I’m not sure.

Back pre-pandemic Royal used to have "Tribute" bands on their Quantum Class ships.  We, my wife and I, were on a cruise to Bermuda and there was a GREAT U2 Tribute band.  We though it was great.  They performed in the "Music Hall" a few times and then on the last night, I believe it was, they had a big grand finale in the 270.  We were highly impressed with them.  I hope Royal goes back to Tribute bands, again on the Quantum.    

The best band I have seen on a cruise was the Rock Cover band Phoenix out of Las Vegas.  They were on Wonder during the Inaugural cruise.  Played all kinds of 70’s classic rock.

The next best was an Eagles tribute band called “The Long Run”.  Cannot remember if we saw them on the Allure or the Oasis a few years ago.

Ever since my daughter was about 5 years old, she has been obsessed with live music and piano bars and it started on a Royal ship… of course I cannot remember the ship or performer name…. But in schooner, the piano player started playing Baker Street… and another crew member walked up with a saxophone and completely blew the crowd away…. The look on her face has shaped a love of music that I could have never predicted. Still don’t know if it was planned or impromptu but now at 12 years old, every time we walk in there, I know she’s hoping for something similar to happen. It was a truly magical memory for our family. Appreciate all the Royal performers and would love to see more “non traditional” entertainment such as what happened that night.