Did I pick bad rooms? If so can I change?

I'm sorry to say we are quite new to travelling and this is our first ever cruise and I'm as apprehensive as can be.  I picked adjoining cabins, as my grown son is coming along and wanted his own space, but he sleeps very lightly and is very sensitive to noise.  I chose low and mid ship because I am afraid I might get sea sick.  However I realise our cabins are quite close the the elevator, (2310 and 2312 voyager of the seas), and possibly the atrium? Noise is the main thing that I am getting ulcers worrying about.  Any reassurance or advice would be appreciated. I would happily pay a bit (not a lot) more for less noise.

While I have not sailed on that ship, or room location, I have sailed in rooms near elevators before and you should be fine. While it doesnt look like it on the deck plans, the elevator banks are in their own lobby, and you actually have to go through a door, and down the hall to get to your stateroom. The noise level should be pretty low. 

36 minutes ago, jill wozhere said:

I'm sorry to say we are quite new to travelling and this is our first ever cruise and I'm as apprehensive as can be.  I picked adjoining cabins, as my grown son is coming along and wanted his own space, but he sleeps very lightly and is very sensitive to noise.  I chose low and mid ship because I am afraid I might get sea sick.  However I realise our cabins are quite close the the elevator, (2310 and 2312 voyager of the seas), and possibly the atrium? Noise is the main thing that I am getting ulcers worrying about.  Any reassurance or advice would be appreciated. I would happily pay a bit (not a lot) more for less noise.

So I have not sailed those specific rooms I have been on deck 2 of many Voyager Class ships and these are very quiet cabins, please note that there are no interior rooms on this deck so that's 50% less traffic down your hall....You are close to the elevator but I would say you should be OK with your choice. 

It's so funny that I just read your post, as I just called (again) to change my room number and one of my top priorities is to be CLOSE to the elevator!   I was thrilled to find a room that was both near the elevator, on the port side and on the same floor as at least part of the solarium.... I am sure that the Customer Service folks at RC are thrilled that I have found the perfect room too, and will quit calling them every night... ?     

Thanks for the welcome and replies:12_slight_smile:.  I feel less worried about my decision now:34_rolling_eyes:.  I still have a tummy full of butterflies, about venturing into the unknown, but I'm doing my best to inform myself with good advice from kind people, such as yourselves, who know the ropes. I appreciate each of you taking the time to help:91_thumbsup:.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the LACK of noise we've had on all of our cruises thus far. As someone that gets easily annoyed in hotels over incessant hallway noise, I've been very pleased with how quiet it has been. I don't recall even hearing noise from adjacent cabins.

The only time we had any noise was when we stayed in an interior cabin on Deck 3 of Rhapsody, directly under the Centrum where bands play. Oops! Live & learn.

On Grandeur --- Vision Class ..... I picked a room that, at the time, I didn't realize, was right under the Centrum and the R Bar ...... to my surprise, it was generally quiet, we could faintly hear the music from above, but that ended at 11:00, so there were no issues.  In fact, we've been in the same cabin 3 years in a row with a fourth one coming.

As I said, we are new to travelling in general, but when we went to Bali, our first overseas trip ever, a couple of years back, there were loud people and kids and running down the corridors of our hotel at all hours of the night, on most nights..  It was hard to get a good night's sleep.... Therefore I was very fearful that this all night noise, might happen on the ship also, with there being so much going on. Even though most of the hotel noise was mainly from people checking out in or out the dead of night and forgetting that not everyone is up at 3am?!

8 hours ago, SPS said:

I have been pleasantly surprised by the LACK of noise we've had on all of our cruises thus far. As someone that gets easily annoyed in hotels over incessant hallway noise, I've been very pleased with how quiet it has been. I don't recall even hearing noise from adjacent cabins.

The only time we had any noise was when we stayed in an interior cabin on Deck 3 of Rhapsody, directly under the Centrum where bands play. Oops! Live & learn.

Same with us, we were on the Harmony of the Seas and it was very quiet.  We were on Deck 10 by the elevators and did not have any issues.  We are booked on the Allure for next May and I picked rooms by the elevator again.

18 hours ago, jill wozhere said:

You should be fine.  I always throw in a a pair of earplugs in my travel bag. Keeps out all the possible noise.

• 2 years later...

I actually have two trains of thought about this.  I either want to be very close to the elevators or as far away as possible.  Each has its benefits and drawbacks.  

However, I prefer to be as far away from the elevators as possible, preferable at the very end of the hallway.  

YMMV

It seems that elevator noises are really not much of a problem for most folks. The biggest noise complaints I hear people mention are on the deck Directly below the pool deck and/or Windjammer. And also, the very lowest decks in the rear with engine noises. And also cabins directly above or below loud performance venues. Especially if you are someone who wants to go to sleep relatively early. 

11 hours ago, Al Miller said:

It seems that elevator noises are really not much of a problem for most folks. The biggest noise complaints I hear people mention are on the deck Directly below the pool deck and/or Windjammer. And also, the very lowest decks in the rear with engine noises. And also cabins directly above or below loud performance venues. Especially if you are someone who wants to go to sleep relatively early. 

That is very much an issue, being below a decks with chairs.  Or below the galley, dance hall, etc etc.  Although, I believe that the newer ships have done a lot to mitigate the noise.  I haven't read many complaints about noise from above like was prevalent many years ago.  

we typically stay halfway between the elevators midship (as far away from elevators as possible). Then by the end of the cruise we have figured out the direction to go based on where we are headed.

To the OP, on past cruises I have researched quietest cabin/deck/etc and made decisions based on what I found. We were on Independence a couple weeks ago and that cabin was the loudest I have ever stayed in. We were on deck 9 and the noise from the music in the promenade sounded like it was being piped into our cabin. 

That likely doesnt help your apprehension, and I guess what I am trying to say is you may just catch a bad beat. Unless you can talk to someone who has stayed very close to where you are.

Enjoy the trip!