Jump to content
princevaliantus

Carnival & Royal Joint Venture !!

Recommended Posts

New pier project in Grand Cayman in a joint venture by two of the biggest cruise lines !! See cruisefever.net article:

https://cruisefever.net/carnival-cruise-line-and-royal-caribbean-will-help-finance-pier-on-grand-cayman/?fbclid=IwAR0bHQP-GNXBxbadjLIatVUaRo-2dBqGl-RoPBO5wiWZkUeMEdD1AoFutm8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

New pier project in Grand Cayman in a joint venture by two of the biggest cruise lines !! See cruisefever.net article:

https://cruisefever.net/carnival-cruise-line-and-royal-caribbean-will-help-finance-pier-on-grand-cayman/?fbclid=IwAR0bHQP-GNXBxbadjLIatVUaRo-2dBqGl-RoPBO5wiWZkUeMEdD1AoFutm8

From the article:

"The project is expected to cost up to $200 million to build and will take two and a half years to complete. Each passenger that visits Grand Cayman will be levied with a $8 per head fee."

I may be off here, but didn't doing EVERYTHING on Cococay cost about $250 million including the pier AND take less than 2.5 years to complete? This will take more time and 80% of that money for just a pier? Can there be any Perfect Day features even though Carnival is involved? What am I missing? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Skid said:

 

I may be off here, but didn't doing EVERYTHING on Cococay cost about $250 million including the pier AND take less than 2.5 years to complete? This will take more time and 80% of that money for just a pier? Can there be any Perfect Day features even though Carnival is involved? What am I missing? 

 

There isn’t enough information or any real facts in this article to know much of anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting...although from reading the actual paper article it appears its not 100% yet as residents there could potentially stop or delay it.

 

But it would be nice for this place to be a more accessible port. I missed it the only time I was supposed to tender there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skid said:

This will take more time and 80% of that money for just a pier?

I would imagine they would work on developing a port area along with the pier..think along the lines of Costa Maya or Falmouth..and that figures into the costs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Skid said:

From the article:

"The project is expected to cost up to $200 million to build and will take two and a half years to complete. Each passenger that visits Grand Cayman will be levied with a $8 per head fee."

I may be off here, but didn't doing EVERYTHING on Cococay cost about $250 million including the pier AND take less than 2.5 years to complete? This will take more time and 80% of that money for just a pier? Can there be any Perfect Day features even though Carnival is involved? What am I missing? 

 

It's also a different country with different labor and material costs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2019 at 12:15 PM, OrlandoC said:

It's also a different country with different labor and material costs. 

I’d second that. Compared to the Bahamas the workers in Grand Cayman appear to be compensated well and like being there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2019 at 2:46 PM, Fuzzywuzzy said:

The more the merrier. It's an American tradition, if you have a problem, throw money at it.

I don't think MSC is American cruise line. It is Italian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breaking news  !!

The cruise lines have been working together for years.

There are projects each does on their own and their are initiatives they collaborate on.  They even have joint ventures for this purpose, from a legal stance.

Like all stuff we see, when a ship pulls up to a destination, only then is it real.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Susie said:

MSC (the shipping company that owns the cruise line) was founded in Italy in 1970 but moved to Geneva in 1978. 

Lauro Lines (the line that became MSC Cruises) was also Italian but it was purchased by MSC in the 80s and is now based in Geneva too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A port will happen eventually not sure it will be as shown now because people are upset because the government fired there environmental person because they didn't like what they were saying and they haven't proven they have done their research fully. I myself do not agree with the current proposal as it will damage some of towns best reefs (attractions people come here to see). I have seen other locations with better solutions to be honest. I do believe its more about the money then anything (some works are not paid as well as you would think especially in the construction field). It will happen just not sure when or if this will be how it will look. I do fear we will lose some of the brands that come here that aren't part of this deal and I honestly don't know if the port is worth it (ports are nice but at that price I don't know).

*Rant over lol*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:56 AM, OrlandoC said:

MSC (the shipping company that owns the cruise line) was founded in Italy in 1970 but moved to Geneva in 1978. 

Lauro Lines (the line that became MSC Cruises) was also Italian but it was purchased by MSC in the 80s and is now based in Geneva too. 

Italian. Ship are registered in Switzerland. Like Disney's are registered in Panama & RCCL are registered in Bahamas

Capture1.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MotleyCruiser said:

Italian. Ship are registered in Switzerland. Like Disney's are registered in Panama & RCCL are registered in Bahamas

MSC ships are registered in Panama with a few in Malta so they can operate in the EU (much like Royal's one token ship registered in Malta).

The Italian business environment wasn't favorable so they moved to Geneva.  The company is registered in Geneva just as your post indicates.  They market themselves as Italian though which is where the company was originally founded before moving to Switzerland. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2019 at 8:52 AM, Skid said:

From the article:

"The project is expected to cost up to $200 million to build and will take two and a half years to complete. Each passenger that visits Grand Cayman will be levied with a $8 per head fee."

I may be off here, but didn't doing EVERYTHING on Cococay cost about $250 million including the pier AND take less than 2.5 years to complete? This will take more time and 80% of that money for just a pier? Can there be any Perfect Day features even though Carnival is involved? What am I missing? 

 

It's Grand Cayman!! nothing is cheap there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LetsTryThisPlace said:

Nope and my fear is more people will just go eat back on the ship because its so pricey here taking away the income we are supposed to be getting from it.

That will definitely be an option for many when they get the pier built.  Tenders took long enough to dissuade this when I went to Grand Cayman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...