Carnival & Royal Joint Venture !!

2 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

New pier project in Grand Cayman in a joint venture by two of the biggest cruise lines !! See cruisefever.net article:

https://cruisefever.net/carnival-cruise-line-and-royal-caribbean-will-help-finance-pier-on-grand-cayman/?fbclid=IwAR0bHQP-GNXBxbadjLIatVUaRo-2dBqGl-RoPBO5wiWZkUeMEdD1AoFutm8

From the article:

"The project is expected to cost up to $200 million to build and will take two and a half years to complete. Each passenger that visits Grand Cayman will be levied with a $8 per head fee."

I may be off here, but didn't doing EVERYTHING on Cococay cost about $250 million including the pier AND take less than 2.5 years to complete? This will take more time and 80% of that money for just a pier? Can there be any Perfect Day features even though Carnival is involved? What am I missing? 

6 minutes ago, Skid said:

I may be off here, but didn't doing EVERYTHING on Cococay cost about $250 million including the pier AND take less than 2.5 years to complete? This will take more time and 80% of that money for just a pier? Can there be any Perfect Day features even though Carnival is involved? What am I missing? 

There isn’t enough information or any real facts in this article to know much of anything.

3 hours ago, Skid said:

From the article:

"The project is expected to cost up to $200 million to build and will take two and a half years to complete. Each passenger that visits Grand Cayman will be levied with a $8 per head fee."

It's also a different country with different labor and material costs. 

13 hours ago, Susie said:

MSC (the shipping company that owns the cruise line) was founded in Italy in 1970 but moved to Geneva in 1978. 

Lauro Lines (the line that became MSC Cruises) was also Italian but it was purchased by MSC in the 80s and is now based in Geneva too. 

A port will happen eventually not sure it will be as shown now because people are upset because the government fired there environmental person because they didn't like what they were saying and they haven't proven they have done their research fully. I myself do not agree with the current proposal as it will damage some of towns best reefs (attractions people come here to see). I have seen other locations with better solutions to be honest. I do believe its more about the money then anything (some works are not paid as well as you would think especially in the construction field). It will happen just not sure when or if this will be how it will look. I do fear we will lose some of the brands that come here that aren't part of this deal and I honestly don't know if the port is worth it (ports are nice but at that price I don't know).

*Rant over lol*

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:56 AM, OrlandoC said:

MSC (the shipping company that owns the cruise line) was founded in Italy in 1970 but moved to Geneva in 1978. 

Lauro Lines (the line that became MSC Cruises) was also Italian but it was purchased by MSC in the 80s and is now based in Geneva too. 

Italian. Ship are registered in Switzerland. Like Disney's are registered in Panama & RCCL are registered in Bahamas

Capture1.JPG

7 minutes ago, MotleyCruiser said:

Italian. Ship are registered in Switzerland. Like Disney's are registered in Panama & RCCL are registered in Bahamas

MSC ships are registered in Panama with a few in Malta so they can operate in the EU (much like Royal's one token ship registered in Malta).

The Italian business environment wasn't favorable so they moved to Geneva.  The company is registered in Geneva just as your post indicates.  They market themselves as Italian though which is where the company was originally founded before moving to Switzerland. 

On 7/31/2019 at 8:52 AM, Skid said:

From the article:

It's Grand Cayman!! nothing is cheap there.

10 minutes ago, LetsTryThisPlace said:

Nope and my fear is more people will just go eat back on the ship because its so pricey here taking away the income we are supposed to be getting from it.

That will definitely be an option for many when they get the pier built.  Tenders took long enough to dissuade this when I went to Grand Cayman.