What is going on with RCL food??

Robandmar

We just got off Quantum’s 8 day run from Vancouver to Honolulu. The food on board was horrible!  All cuts of meat were fat and gristle, fish and Lobster were always under cooked. Windjammer entrees were poor at best and almost always cold. We only ate in the MDR on lobster night and overheard many around us complaining, some to wait staff others to the head waiter. Are they trying to force all to the various dining packages??

Seemed the problem was ship wide. Bought the key and had “ Chops” menu lunch, filet was undercooked and fatty, did Windjammer a couple times a day with same results. First time we’ve encountered poor quality in over 15 cruises. Don’t know if provisioner or trying to cut corners to save money. Kitchen needs a quality control check because poor supplies and poor prep means really poor end product. 

Sorry guys I know you like having jokes/fun at those that seem to show up more to post complaints over anything else. But the fatty tough cuts of beef are really getting bad and sadly becoming the norm. I truly believe there is more long term expense in food not eaten from false economy on poor cuts of meat than can ever be saved/made. I encourage anyone who has a poor quality piece of beef to have their survey reflect the bad experience. 

I just got off Liberty and I must admit the food was not tasty.  Ate dinner twice at MDR and 3 times at windjammer (one breakfast, lunch and dinner) on different days.  It could be my tastebuds changing because the pizza in Sorrentos didn’t taste like it use to.  However it won’t stop me from cruising.  I ate at Sabor’s - very very good.

‘I’m on Anthem next month, will try 3 speciality restaurants for lunch (chops, Jamie’s and Izumi).  I probably won’t eat in MDR on those days.  I’ll just do,Windjammer even if it’s just for,those oatmeal cookies.

13 minutes ago, JFCruise said:

I really doubt your filet was undercooked, seeing how even if it's past medium-rare, it's already overcooked. As for the fatty part - well, the tenderloin is a lean muscle. So I really have a trouble believing that to be true.

I'm sorry I just don't get it. If someone says they had a fatty piece of beef, they had a fatty piece of beef. Royal Caribbean is not infallible. 

JF, first of all, We asked for med well. Fatty and undercooked applied to just about everything else(fish , lobster, bacon, corn beef hash,etc) Carving station in Windjammer fatty full of gristle, same thing cafe 270, and solarium bistro.  I was totally confused and thought since first trip out of Canada maybe a source/provisioner issue. We did  address in post cruise survey

1 hour ago, CanHardlyWait said:

I'm sorry I just don't get it. If someone says they had a fatty piece of beef, they had a fatty piece of beef. Royal Caribbean is not infallible. 

I'm sure he had some food he didn't like and some that was fatty.   Saying you had a filet that was fatty is essentially saying that you had a filet that wasn't a filet.

I get it though,  when the overall experience is poor for someone,  it's easy to conflate a few complaints. 

10 hours ago, Robandmar said:

8 day run ........only ate in the MDR on lobster night

Only ate in the MDR once.  Of course you can be subjective.

JMHO but food in Windjammer for dinner is always sub par the an MDR dinner.

Not to say I've never had had a bad dish in the MDR, but I have yet to have waiter that will not bring out something else if I'm unhappy or have it remade if I insist on the same dish

If you want every meal to be 5 Star you should do specially dining.  They definitely will redo anything you're unsatisfied with, anything to make you happy.  That's why the waiter position there is so sought after by the crew.

Our expectations for Windjammer and other complimentary dining venues not set real high. Over the years there has been a general declination in the quality. We have accepted that as the way the industry is going. Please note at no time have I mentioned anything about the crew. They are as always top notch. My issue is the quality of the supplies and possibly with the preparation on this particular cruise. I’m hoping my upcoming Oasis cruise will be closer to what we have come to expect of Royal Caribbean. 

I sailed Quantum in September and did not have these issues. Windjammer was really good for breakfast and lunch, MDR was a bust on the prime rib, but other entrees were very good. I also dined in all of the specialty dining, and they were superb. While cruise dining isn't perfect by any means, I do feel it's very subjective. 

On 10/21/2023 at 4:14 AM, CruiseGus said:

If you want every meal to be 5 Star you should do specially dining.  They definitely will redo anything you're unsatisfied with, anything to make you happy.  That's why the waiter position there is so sought after by the crew.

Currently on Anthem.  The food in the MDR has been great, which has been a pleasant surprise!  
just had Chops for lunch and I was extremely disappointed.  The shrimp cocktail were not cooked, mine also smelled “fishy”.   We let the waiter know, and declined a replacement. The head person stopped by and apologized for the undone shrimp, we declined a replacement. The chef came out and apologized and offered to make us cooked shrimp. We politely declined. 
my filet was not medium, but medium well. It was tasteless and dry and a portion I had to spit out-grisly?IDK.  (Filet in Coastal kitchen was AMAZING!) I didn’t bother to say anything about the filet-the key lime pie is not “limey”-it wasn’t that way at the Cheers with an officer nor at the MDR.  I’m thinking there are no limes onboard?  
This was a second bad experience with shrimp in Chops -last time was Oasis in May  -I wrote corporate about that May lousy experience (more than bad shrimp) and was refunded.

I think I’m done with Chops  I have them booked for an upcoming cruise, I’ll be cancelling.  It’s a shame  it used to be fantastic. 

we were given a glass of champagne each for this chops bad shrimp.  It was a kind gesture.

It is possible to get a "gristly" filet, depending on how it's cut - the fibrous sheath the tenderloin is wrapped in needs to be removed and if it isn't the cut will cook up poorly and be chewy/tough in spots.

It's important to consider long-term supply chain issues with all of this discussion when talking about the size of the orders and sourcing RC has to do in so many different locations around the world.  For example, Beef ranchers are still trying to settle down COVID issues: it's a lot easier to adapt raising chickens, for example, than beef. Also drought and other conditions and how that's changing animal feed. For better or worse, a bad corn crop like we've had here in the US Midwest this year affects the steak that reaches your plate next Spring. 

10 hours ago, Riley said:

It is possible to get a "gristly" filet, depending on how it's cut - the fibrous sheath the tenderloin is wrapped in needs to be removed and if it isn't the cut will cook up poorly and be chewy/tough in spots.

It's important to consider long-term supply chain issues with all of this discussion when talking about the size of the orders and sourcing RC has to do in so many different locations around the world.  For example, Beef ranchers are still trying to settle down COVID issues: it's a lot easier to adapt raising chickens, for example, than beef. Also drought and other conditions and how that's changing animal feed. For better or worse, a bad corn crop like we've had here in the US Midwest this year affects the steak that reaches your plate next Spring. 

Could not agree more with all your points.  Having bought whole tenderloins and having them cut into filets, getting the sheath on the edge will result in a chewy filet.  Also, have bought Mexican tenderloins and USA tenderloins from the same shop (same day), just to compare.  As expected, the more expensive US beef was far more tender.  So source is key, just as Riley says.

So my wife works in analytics for a car  rental company, mainly dealing with customer reviews and the like and has always said that if there are 100 reviews 80% as a minimum will be negative. Because it only takes 1 small thing to set certain people off and they will complain while the majority who are satisfied don't feel the need to complain and don't do a review. 

I decided to do a test on a current cruise group I'm in (ovation Transpacific - was going to be aboard but work got in the way so have decided to go the other way in April - still have 2 others to look forward to in the meantime - Ovation to NZ and Brilliance to South Pacific)

I just put a simple question saying not on this cruise but was curious on the food situation on board as have heard mixed reviews

Replies so far.

Extremely Positive - 19

Positive - 34

Satisfied - 27

Slightly negative - 2 (1 was small portions, 1 was too much seafood in wonderland)

Negative - 0

Havent looked at it in more detail with regards to age, nationality or cruise experience which I believe will all play a part.

23 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

Because it only takes 1 small thing to set certain people off and they will complain while the majority who are satisfied don't feel the need to complain and don't do a review. 

Yep, this always skews the perception of how people feel about things on the internet, especially cruises. Not enough people share their good experiences or at least not in as much detail or length as those who complain.

5 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Yep, this always skews the perception of how people feel about things on the internet, especially cruises. Not enough people share their good experiences or at least not in as much detail or length as those who complain.

It's a discipline trying to be fair and balanced.  I normally try to identify the wonderful cruise experiences.  Cruising on RCL is typically 90% wonderful.  (Any day on a ship is better than a day at home!)  I also try to give providers a break when deserved.  My Wonder sailing I just completed Sunday skipped "Perfect Day" but this would never become a feedback item because Royal was simply erring on the side of safety.  You can hardly consume any goods or services anymore without the provider wanting feedback / survey.  Despite the "ask" of giving a 10 out of 10 I think honesty is the best path to improvement. 

Idk but I had a similar experience on my last two indy cruises end of 2022. I went in Aug and then in Dec.

Did not enjoy MDR or WJ for lunch.

WJ for dinner was solid, great variety too.

I ended up paying for specialty dining and had a better experience + food was fresher. (I am a foodie if that helps and I have been cruising on Royal for some almost 10 years)

3 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

For every reasonable criticism and or complaint about Royal Caribbeans food, there are three who will blindly compliment and defend it to no end. Those positive reviews should always be taken with caution (and a grain of salt) IMHO.

Maybe some people look for the positives in things first rather than just trying to find a negative on every issue.

10 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

Maybe some people look for the positives in things first rather than just trying to find a negative on every issue.

I don't look for the negative on every issue. But I speak my mind. Those that have intelligent thoughts and opinions must, to balance out the random words that come out of the mouths of the masses.

11 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

For every reasonable criticism and or complaint about Royal Caribbeans food, there are three who will blindly compliment and defend it to no end. Those positive reviews should always be taken with caution (and a grain of salt) IMHO.

Because there could never be 3 people who feel differently about something that is so objective and clear cut for everyone like food. 

Everyone should just taste and see.  Their taste buds are the only true review they need.  The only one that matters for them.

11 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

This could be looked at the opposite way. I have yet to experience bad food or service on my last few cruises, so when I see people complaining- I take THAT with a grain of salt, because it hasn't been mine, or my fellow cruising friends, experiences. I find that a majority of the excessive complaints come from two groups- the long timers who refuse to accept change-good or bad-they look at it as bad no matter what.  And the internet blog followers- see one bad video from a blogger they love and that's all they need...it's all over, they're gonna be charged for pizza and cookies, the steaks will be chewy and the drinks will be watered down....they absolutely know this before they even step foot on a ship. 

We haven't tried the new menu yet, but last year we had only one bad night out of 20. That was because of MTD delay despite reservation. We did notice some decline in choices, but food quality and temperature similar to pre-covid (good). And pre-covid, when we shared group tables, we usually had to wait on some tablemates. All in all, we enjoyed all restaurants last year on three different ships. We recognize, however, that changes occurred this year.

4 hours ago, ScottD said:

This could be looked at the opposite way. I have yet to experience bad food or service on my last few cruises, so when I see people complaining- I take THAT with a grain of salt, because it hasn't been mine, or my fellow cruising friends, experiences. I find that a majority of the excessive complaints come from two groups- the long timers who refuse to accept change-good or bad-they look at it as bad no matter what.  And the internet blog followers- see one bad video from a blogger they love and that's all they need...it's all over, they're gonna be charged for pizza and cookies, the steaks will be chewy and the drinks will be watered down....they absolutely know this before they even step foot on a ship. 

This exactly.

It's about having an opinion outside of the group/masses around here and it's just not allowed. Several of you have just proven it. Why is "I have never had a bad meal on Royal" more valid then those who claim they have had. Maybe those who only have had good meals have the bad taste buds etc? It's such a one sided argument. Can you not see that? Everyones past experiences are valid. Not just the positive ones. All should be taken with a grain of salt. One size does not fit all etc. But the negative reports shouldn't be dissected because they have to be categorized in one of your pre conceived limited views of "complainers are"...

21 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

It's about having an opinion outside of the group/masses around here and it's just not allowed. Several of you have just proven it. Why is "I have never had a bad meal on Royal" more valid then those who claim they have had. Maybe those who only have had good meals have the bad taste buds etc? It's such a one sided argument. Can you not see that? Everyones past experiences are valid. Not just the positive ones. All should be taken with a grain of salt. One size does not fit all etc. But the negative reports shouldn't be dissected because they have to be categorized in one of your pre conceived limited views of "complainers are"...

Any posts that offer information are useful, whether the information is about good, bad, or ho-hum experiences.  Rants/opinions to stir the pot probably aren't useful, but we do tolerate some of that because none of us has 100% emotional control. 

1 hour ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Opinions are that and the problem with the very first sentence in this thread was that the poster made a big booming statement saying all the food on his last cruise was horrible. Obviously this isn't or can't be true. And when people who are satisfied when they read this and have never thought do a review or comment because that's what the silent majority normally do they then dispute the claim. 

As you say a voice against the majority, the majority obviously are positive people.