This is interesting...

My single lifetime attempt at dropping in was a complete failure and I my butt has zero ambition to try it again. However what I find interesting is the unmentioned traverse court in the background. Also I'd have to say that a half pipe/ traverse course is some type of land based activity and there's no way this happens on an intensely sunny and gale force windy future Deck 16. IMO 

Hrmm, I think this is just a show element in the AquaDome, not a new halfpipe for guests.

I say that for two reasons: I'm pretty sure Nick mentioned it when I was in Finland as something they were working on.  But even if I'm remembering that wrong, Nick tweets about his shows almost exclusively. 

On 10/7/2023 at 12:31 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I would think that this kind of activity on a cruise ship would be an invitation to injury lawsuits.  You would think they would have learned from the jumping bubble...whatever it was called....

Paging my wife to bring a stack of business cards wherever they implement this!

Time for some whataboutism! What about Crown's Edge on Icon? The upcoming thrilling activity where passengers are going be suspended off the side of the ship only being held by their safety harness. Walk around some obstacles then the floor drops out from under you and supposedly a trolley brings you back onboard like your area meat packing factory. I think passengers riding skateboards is perfectly on par with them ice or roller skating while at sea. 

Oh! and Crowns Edge.... I need to edit and add this to the list of confusing and not well thought out recent Royal nomenclature and lingo. What 'bout that?

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I just wonder, who's the target audience for a skate board show though? You may get a few extra of the X Games generation, but it doesn't strike me as something the older crowd would get there early for.

I feel like Icon is already aiming at the Gen x aged parents that have kids between 6-12. Both of these are a target audience for skateboarding and "extreme" sports type acts that they may incorporate. 

1 hour ago, ScottD said:

Gen x aged, 

Truthfully, I am GenX and the more I read about Icon, the more interest I am losing in sailing her. I might change my mind after the inaugural (if I don't cancel), but I am not holding my breath.

There might be too much going on on that ship for even someone like me who prefers the larger ships. I am still annoyed by the lack of options for families who want two bathrooms and not two rooms. 

44 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

There might be too much going on on that ship for even someone like me who prefers the larger ships.

That sums up why I have no interest (besides the price of course). I'm sure you'll come up with a plan and enjoy it but I totally get what you mean.

47 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am GenX

I prefer "Xennial." it makes us sound younger and not quite "old cruisers" who call them Ranger cookies. 🤣

According to Wikipedia (which is never wrong)...

In 2020, Xennial was added to the Oxford Dictionary of English. It was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2021:[3]

Xennial, n. and adj.: “A person born between the late 1970s and early 1980s, after (or towards the end of) Generation X and before (or at the beginning of) the millennial”

On 10/8/2023 at 11:40 AM, Matt said:

Hrmm, I think this is just a show element in the AquaDome, not a new halfpipe for guests.

I say that for two reasons: I'm pretty sure Nick mentioned it when I was in Finland as something they were working on.  But even if I'm remembering that wrong, Nick tweets about his shows almost exclusively. 

A show element would make sense.  If if offered, how many passengers would be in the "ability window" to use it?  All the liability concerns are well founded.