Safety of food in Caribbean and Mexican ports

When I first started cruising in the mid 1970's we were warned not to eat or drink ashore because our systems weren't prepared to process some of the bacteria etc.  Over the years I no longer hear the warnings not to eat or drink ashore.  My question do you find food and drink safe while ashore?

Bill

Most people find it safe, but I personally avoid it.

If you do choose to eat or drink, I recommend chasing it with tequila. They say the alcohol will help neutralize any bad stuff, if it is there. Even if the food is completely safe, the tequila is bound to make it more fun.

39 minutes ago, steverk said:

Most people find it safe, but I personally avoid it.

If you do choose to eat or drink, I recommend chasing it with tequila. They say the alcohol will help neutralize any bad stuff, if it is there. Even if the food is completely safe, the tequila is bound to make it more fun.

Total tangent…

I had a customer return a lamb leg the other day.  She said she cut a piece off and ate it.   She realized after that it was still raw so she drank some tequila to kill any bacteria.  🤣🤣

(She wanted to return it because she said it shouldn’t be raw.)

Not extensive experience, but ate freshly fried conch fritters from a food truck outside the John Watling distillery in Nassau last year and some kick butt Caribbean style wings at Chef John's inside the port at St. Thomas in this past April, no problem. What was frustrating: the bus tour of St. Maarten we took the day before St. Thomas passed a bazillion roadside vendors selling jerk chicken and didn't stop at any of them. 😡

PS: The conch fritters in Nassau were out of this world.

We also have the same questions and seldom eat or drink while ashore.  I do let my guard down occasionally, and will eat a complete dinner at large, obviously popular restaurants.  Interestingly, the last time we did eat at Mazatlan, we ordered soft drinks from a bottle.  The waiter promptly opened the bottles and poured the beverage into a glass with ice.  I didn't touch it, but quickly the waiter realized what he had done, and replaced our drink with a fresh one, still in the bottle.  It is hard to un-learn old lessons.  

The advice I've seen is outside of tourist areas, only eat things which are cooked (preferably in front of you) and drink only from containers you open yourself (to avoid the refilling from the tap scam). In areas catering to tourists, fresh vegetables, fruits and ice are probably fine since water purification systems have been popular. Bottled water is still suspect. Meals included during a shore excursion should be fine, even off the beaten path, as they're targeting foreign tourists and won't want to risk a group getting sick and their status with Royal revoked.

I can guarantee that if the food in Mexico was a general issue the ships would either not stop there, or there would be copious warnings about not eating or drinking while ashore.   The last thing they need is a ship full of people with Montezuma's...

Having said that - maybe stick with bottled water.  If you're concerned about the ice in a cocktail - have a beer.   🙂   

So I'll say this as someone who is an extremely adventurous traveler and has been to (and eaten in) something like 75% of the countries in this world. I have only been sick a few times, and half of those times were in "safe" places (US, western Europe, that kind of thing). Obviously there's going to be a risk in a lot of places eating the local food away from touristy areas (or even in touristy areas), but if you're of good health, you will likely be fine. I do avoid water in many countries in the world, though...that scares me much more. 

Folks put their head in the sand and profess the food and water in Mexico and elsewhere is perfectly safe.  Nobody's gonna tell them what they should or shouldn't eat.😆

If it's so safe, why are there so many programs promoting and educating food suppliers, vendors and restaurants  to cook cleanly and safely?

I've been all over Mexico and the Caribbean.  The pork, fish, or other foods on the sidewalk... did you see it being cooked?  How long ago was it cooked?  How was the refrigeration?  With no running water or sanitary facilities near the food carts or other neighborhood vendors, how did they wash their hands and cooking utensils?

Travel guides say to eat at obviously organized kitchens, with immediately cooked dishes and high food turnover. 

Montezuma's revenge is still real.  So are many other communicable illnesses.

And if folks don't get sick in spite of ignoring sanitation, good for them.  Many folks do remain unscathed.

I will remain cautious. 🤨

https://www.fda.gov/food/international-cooperation-food-safety/fda-senasica-cofepris-food-safety-partnership

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/north-america/mexico/tips-for-water-and-food-in-mexico

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/mexicolife/dining-rules-health/

1 hour ago, WAYNO said:

Folks put their head in the sand and profess the food and water in Mexico is perfectly safe.  Nobody's gonna tell them what they should or shouldn't eat.😆

If it's so safe, why are there so many organizations attempting to teach the Mexican people how to cook cleanly and safely?

I've been all over Mexico and the Caribbean.  The pork, fish, or other foods on the sidewalk... did you see it being cooked?  How long ago was it cooked?  How was the refrigeration?  With no running water or sanitary facilities near the food carts or other neighborhood vendors, how did they wash their hands and cooking utensils?

Travel guides say to eat at obviously organized kitchens, with immediately cooked dishes and high food turnover. 

Montezuma's revenge is still real.  So are many other communicable illnesses.

And if folks don't get sick in spite of ignoring sanitation, good for them.  Many folks do remain unscathed.

I will remain cautious. 🤨

No organization has come to my house yet to "teach" me how to cook, I guess they haven't reach all the "Mexican people" yet. 🤣

You are mainly talking about street vendors, even Mexicans are cautious about eating there. But there are more than street food vendors in Mexico. To believe that all the food sold in Mexico falls into the same category is an mistake (I'm not saying that you think this). We have sanitary regulations and regular inspections on stablished food vendors like any other country. 

As you said, eat at obviously organized kitchens, with immediately cooked dishes and high food turnover is the safe way to go. And avoid tap water.