Baseball caps worn while dining?? OK? NOT OK?

Censored

26 minutes ago, Censored said:

Im old fashioned and it has always been rude, disrespectful, and a total lack of etiquette to go to MDR or other specialty restaurants to wear a ball cap . Is it time to tell people to take them off? At least in the MDR formal nights???    Hello?  

I like to dress up in general and do get annoyed when I see people super casual in the MDR. Wonder if they also go casual at restaurants in their home town...

Hope they get told to remove caps.

I was taught men remove hats of any kind indoors.  We dressed for church and restaurants.  But I am older than dirt and this is just not how things are now.   As long as you are a decent person, I don’t care what you wear.  And frankly I have met many well dressed horse’s asses!

I take my hat off when indoors eating.  Problem is, few places now have hat hooks.  That in itself causes some people to not take their hat off.

A good server will find a place for a customers hat.  As short staffed as Navigator was recently, I sat a long time at our table before I even saw a server.  So, I just put my hat behind me in the chair.  That might be okay for a knock-about ball cap, but not so good for a fedora. 

I

First off welcome to 2023. Nobody needs to remove a hat for anybody else's needs, feeling, pleasure. Suck it up and deal.

Second. Many men have issues about lack of hair at a certain age. Ron Howard has a baseball cap on at Academy awards etc. Should they feel more insecure and uncomfortable to please you? No.

Third. Many have scares and marks etc from some very unpleasant treatments. (Not related to their hair) They keep hats on to make everyone more comfortable.

This Victorian age BS about how what others have on makes you feel and impacts your experience is complete selfish nonsense. 

Times change. Still not sure why what people wear affects other peoples meals. I understand a certain standard-no bikinis or wet swim trunks.  But why does someone wearing a pair of khaki shorts or a baseball hat  or a t-shirt really bother anyone? Paying extra to go to Chops or 150 Central park- Absolutely, there should be a dress code just like any other fancy place at home. The MDR is the equivalent of going out to a casual dinner, and I don't see anyone complaining about shorts at an Outback or Applebees.  

13 hours ago, Censored said:

Im old fashioned and it has always been rude, disrespectful, and a total lack of etiquette to go to MDR or other specialty restaurants to wear a ball cap . Is it time to tell people to take them off? At least in the MDR formal nights???    Hello?  

It depends upon the maitre'd.  I've seen some asked  to remove on occasion.

No one has said anything to me about a baseball cap.

I was raised with traditional western etiquette but with an understanding of the modern times. 

So, for me, no hats in church. Hats off when praying.  Hats off during National Anthem.  

But on a cruise, in the MDR, or even Chops, if its lunch, hat stays on.  MDR dinner for non-formal nights, I may wear a hat.  Again, never asked to take it off.

The single best thing I can say about baseball caps, or any attire, that may be questionable, is don't wear anything that is questionably offensive.  Sports' team baseball caps, okay.  Political jargon and propaganda hats, no.  T-shirts that say Love2Cruise, yes.  T-shirts that say "F---" this or that, no.

We have a saying in our home, if you act in a civil manner, chances are that you will be treated in a civil manner.

I wear a hat like 90% of the time, but I definitely don't wear one to any kind of sit down restaurant. However, add me to the club of "you do you, boo"...I really don't give a damn what someone else does in a restaurant, whether it's Chili's or Capital Grille, if it doesn't impact me in any negative way. 

4 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

Hats off when praying. 

Interesting. As someone who is not religious and doesn't pray, I've never heard this one before. Makes sense, but it's a new one to me. 

1 hour ago, TravisMA81 said:

Guys get hot too.   

I'm always hot...or at least, that's what my wife tells me. 

I had this discussion once asking people to explain why wearing a hat inside is disrespectful but outside is not. Nobody could give a valid answer. They all said it was because they were told it's disrespectful and they didn't question this.

Being follically challenged, my choice has been to often wear a hat. I would choose not to at a formal dining situation. My life is not affected in any way by those who choose otherwise.

1 hour ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I imagine the Tony FSU 21’s family might upset your old school ways. I wear whatever I want with zero f$@ks given. We were just in Giovanni’s table last weekend with my ball cap on backwards and a pair of shorts and two kids that are unruly to say the least. This is vacation and there should be zero stress in vacation. I can’t imagine expending one second of a precious life giving a crap what someone else is wearing, I think (hope) we are past that mentality in 2023. 

This is 50% of the Tony FSU 21’s rolling into 2023 (ball cap in place). It’s all smiles.

6DBAF4FD-F0E0-4497-9D95-D54E8DB5DA90.jpeg

10 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I imagine the Tony FSU 21’s family might upset your old school ways. I wear whatever I want with zero f$@ks given. We were just in Giovanni’s table last weekend with my ball cap on backwards and a pair of shorts and two kids that are unruly to say the least. This is vacation and there should be zero stress in vacation. I can’t imagine expending one second of a precious life giving a crap what someone else is wearing, I think (hope) we are past that mentality in 2023. 

I agree with this 100% (well, maybe 95%- gotta try to  keep the kids under some kind of control, especially at dinner.) but I also plan on wearing shorts or jeans and a tshirt to every dinner... I'm not lugging a suit or a bunch of extra pants on vacation with me so I can eat. 

I have no dog in this fight, but I've always found the topic interesting and wondered where the tradition began.  I don't know if the following is actually true (we may never know), but it seems legit to me (or at the least, possible).

"According to the Emily Post Institute, many trace it back to medieval times when knights would remove their helmets to identify themselves, as well as a gesture of respect."

also "Additionally, there are rules put forth by the U.S. Flag Code. For example, men—not including those in military service uniform—are supposed to remove all hats during the National Anthem, as well as during the pledge of allegiance. Women are not required to remove dress hats. The same goes for when a United States flag passes by during a parade. The U.S. Flag Code is not upheld by law, but is rather an advisory."

https://www.southernliving.com/culture/etiquette/can-you-wear-a-hat-inside

Being the age that I am, my initial inward reaction is always "geez, he should take his hat off in here!" (and I encourage Mr. SpeedNoodles to do so in a restaurant), however I would NEVER say anything to anyone about it, and promptly admonish myself inwardly with "stop being so OLD".

On 1/7/2023 at 5:33 PM, 69RoadRunner said:

I had this discussion once asking people to explain why wearing a hat inside is disrespectful but outside is not. Nobody could give a valid answer. They all said it was because they were told it's disrespectful and they didn't question this.

Being follically challenged, my choice has been to often wear a hat. I would choose not to at a formal dining situation. My life is not affected in any way by those who choose otherwise.

1. General rule (old school tradition) is hats off in private places, hats on in public places.

2. Hats are almost always acceptable if you have some illness or physical/medical reasons to wear one.

Again, I am a modern traditionalist and often times play by ear.  It really depends.  I love wearing baseball caps but if I know that someone in my party or family, or even if there are older people around whom I don't know, I try to be courteous and respectful.  This is only my personal opinion and my way of handling this topic.  

Another rule I have for my family is:

If you make a choice and go through with it, understand that you may face criticism for your choice and accept it.  We don't say "no crying over spilled milk"...we say "no crying if YOU spilled the milk."

I wouldn't keep my Stetson on in a movie theater, gets in the way of those behind me, but would a gimme (ball) cap. I don't wear a hat/cap in the MDR because I have showered, dressed etc. so no cap needed for been out/bedhead hair and my mother told me not to. She would however not have a problem me wearing one in the WJ.