Changes to the app (also 🦞 controversy?! )

ZBrady

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Sorry, but I don’t buy their “efficiency” explanation.  IMO this is cost savings move and nothing more.  The MDR continues its downhill slide.  I’m shocked that they haven’t yet declared that this “upgrade” to the menu is intended to “enhance your cruise experience”.  I’m sure that’s coming….  After some period of time, once people stop going to the MDR altogether, they will enhance our cruise experience again by ending the complimentary MDR option altogether because passengers were “choosing other options”.  Penny-pinching at it’s finest.

I think RCCL is saying they're reducing the menu in order to speed up the MDR service. So in a way, they are saying it will "enhance your cruise experience". As for me, I have sometimes chosen from the 'classic' menu, particularly the French Onion Soup or the Caesar Salad. I just got off Grandeur a few days ago and I did select the Spaghetti Bolognese one night. I also frequently get Crème Brûlée for dessert. If the classic items indeed disappear I'll be disappointed. 

21 minutes ago, Lugnut said:

I think RCCL is saying they're reducing the menu in order to speed up the MDR service. So in a way, they are saying it will "enhance your cruise experience". As for me, I have sometimes chosen from the 'classic' menu, particularly the French Onion Soup or the Caesar Salad. I just got off Grandeur a few days ago and I did select the Spaghetti Bolognese one night. I also frequently get Crème Brûlée for dessert. If the classic items indeed disappear I'll be disappointed. 

Oh yes that is what they are saying. But it's just being cheap. This really has nothing to do with enhancing anyone's experience. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Haven't looked but maybe warm water lobster are in short supply.  Maybe the seafood ships that harvest them are low on supply.  Supposedly Alaska crab have disappeared.  

It could be this is in reaction to supply chain differences.  Instead of eliminating a crowd favorite they might be trying to find a compromise.  

The price of Alaskan King Crab at Costco has gone up twice its price before COVID.  I've also noticed that Chinese buffets in my area offering (snow) crab legs in their buffets pre-COVID have stopped doing it.   At the Publix and Winn Dixie stores in my city, the snow crab clusters look very pitiful, small and thin.

There must really be a supply issue.  Weren't there wild mushroom and bacon supply issues too and the ships were affected?

I am new to cruising.  So I will ask some dumb questions.

• Can you still order more than 1 appetizer without an extra charge?  Same with a 2nd entrĂ©e or desert?
  • Can you still order off menu for a garden salad? or plate of just sides as your main entrĂ©e? DW is vegetarian and does not like certain things.
  • Can you still request plain pasta with tomato sauce?  Some kids (and adults) are picky eaters.
  • Are the lobster tails the size of large shrimp or real lobster tails from a 1 pound lobster?
  • We are sailing on Radiance in a suite to Alaska.  Ship has no Coastal Kitchen.  Is there an alternative restaurant for suites?

I get it if this is to cut costs or control food waste.  Just be honest.

Thanks in advance.

55 minutes ago, SteelersNationVA said:

I am new to cruising.  So I will ask some dumb questions.

• Can you still order more than 1 appetizer without an extra charge?  Same with a 2nd entrĂ©e or desert? -Yes
  • Can you still order off menu for a garden salad? or plate of just sides as your main entrĂ©e? DW is vegetarian and does not like certain things. -Yes
  • Can you still request plain pasta with tomato sauce?  Some kids (and adults) are picky eaters. -Yes. This is on the kid's menu
  • Are the lobster tails the size of large shrimp or real lobster tails from a 1 pound lobster? - Probably 4-5 oz tails
  • We are sailing on Radiance in a suite to Alaska.  Ship has no Coastal Kitchen.  Is there an alternative restaurant for suites? - For dinner, no. But you'll get Chops for breakfast

I get it if this is to cut costs or control food waste.  Just be honest.

Thanks in advance.

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:
  • Can you still order more than 1 appetizer without an extra charge?  Same with a 2nd entrĂ©e or desert? -Yes
  • Can you still order off menu for a garden salad? or plate of just sides as your main entrĂ©e? DW is vegetarian and does not like certain things. -Yes
  • Can you still request plain pasta with tomato sauce?  Some kids (and adults) are picky eaters. -Yes. This is on the kid's menu

Are your responses based on the new updated menu policy or the old menu?

Just checked my cruises in the app and am only seeing my Jan cruise, logged and back, still only the one. I had also noticed the beverage packages option earlier. Its a convenient way to spot check the prices, as long as they keep up with the "sales". Waiting for black Friday, might cost me a bunch as I'll be buying for at least four cruises.

17 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

Looks like (without the symbols listed) that there are very few gluten free options, which is a big problem for my DD - choices were somewhat limited to begin with, and this just makes it worse

Interesting that Virgin Voyages, who doesn't have a MDR at all but many different restaurants (all included) just earned the honor of top 'bang for your buck' cruiseline knocking Carnival out of that long held position. I prefer the concept of going to different restaurants each night instead of MDR but on Royal they are all an upcharge while Virgin has gone a different route.

3 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Interesting that Virgin Voyages, who doesn't have a MDR at all but many different restaurants (all included) just earned the honor of top 'bang for your buck' cruiseline knocking Carnival out of that long held position. I prefer the concept of going to different restaurants each night instead of MDR but on Royal they are all an upcharge while Virgin has gone a different route.

No MDR, but many different but themed restaurants with a menu that matches that theme and not served to the multitudes. Maybe they could divide the MDR into several themed eateries and you could reserve which one you want and the menu would still be restricted but you chose the restriction. OMG! What a concept.

1 hour ago, CrznTxn said:

No MDR, but many different but themed restaurants with a menu that matches that theme and not served to the multitudes. Maybe they could divide the MDR into several themed eateries and you could reserve which one you want and the menu would still be restricted but you chose the restriction. OMG! What a concept.

How very, uh, Dynamic. Or something.

On 11/14/2022 at 8:41 PM, twangster said:

Haven't looked but maybe warm water lobster are in short supply.  Maybe the seafood ships that harvest them are low on supply.  Supposedly Alaska crab have disappeared.  

It could be this is in reaction to supply chain differences.  Instead of eliminating a crowd favorite they might be trying to find a compromise.  

I have been told this is the case (supply) by someone who would know. Ending lobster all together was not an option. Enter Maine lobster. 

On 11/14/2022 at 9:52 PM, Lugnut said:

The classics are still there just not every night.  So like shrimp cocktail is now only 3 nights instead of all 7 for my cruise next week.  I am willing to give it a shot and see what happens.  Not that I have much choice since with my luck this started on the ship I am sailing.

22 hours ago, MaryCS62 said:

Looks like (without the symbols listed) that there are very few gluten free options, which is a big problem for my DD - choices were somewhat limited to begin with, and this just makes it worse

My understanding for GF you should tell them about this allergy and they have special stuff they can sub out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 11:21 AM, teddy said:

$16.99 for a lobster tail makes me chuckle. 

Lobster are $7.99/lb at the supermarket I work at, and that’s more expensive than local lobster pounds. 

And yet if you go to a seafood restaurant in Maine, you’ll pay $28+ for that lobster.