JLMoran

Second Anthem - NJ to Bermuda - Oct 19 to Oct 24 - LIVE(ISH)

On 10/13/2019 at 1:05 AM, JLMoran said:

Night 4 has a "Colors of Israel" art exhibition in the gallery (it's Yom Kippur that day, and I'm guessing this is the main reason for the timing of this particular exhibit)

Yom Kippur was last week , I guess maybe they are trying to promote some Jewel of the seas cruises to the holy land  or the security officer got a punishment from the captain 🙂

5 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Yom Kippur was last week , I guess maybe they are trying to promote some Jewel of the seas cruises to the holy land  or the security officer got a punishment from the captain 🙂

Wait, what? I just re-checked the app, and it says there is a "Yom Kippur (Self-lead)" activity in the Windjammer at 5:15 PM on night 4.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Chalk it up to the app being out of date with the actual cruise planner activities, I guess? But now I'm worried about how many of those activities I've seen will actually be offered! And there was a lot I was looking forward to, there!

42 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Wait, what? I just re-checked the app, and it says there is a "Yom Kippur (Self-lead)" activity in the Windjammer at 5:15 PM on night 4.

🤷🏻‍♂️

Chalk it up to the app being out of date with the actual cruise planner activities, I guess? But now I'm worried about how many of those activities I've seen will actually be offered! And there was a lot I was looking forward to, there!

Ohhh , you plan your activities based on RCL IT ? You are a very  brave man 🙂

🎶 Only five days 'til we go on the cruise, only five days 'til we gooooo! 🎶

giphy.gif

Cathy pointed out a valid concern today -- is having what are effectively hurricane force winds slamming into my body, and particularly my foot that's trying to heal, a good idea?

Have to seriously think about this. Doing iFly might not be a great idea, certainly not on Day 2 when I currently have it booked and I'm only a little over a week in on proper treatment. Might end up canceling my Day 2 reservation, seeing if they have any openings on Day 5 instead. And be ready to cancel that depending on how I'm doing.

In cheerier news, I gave Wade a new job, and he seems to be pretty happy with it.

IMG_1193.thumb.png.47d9c6dfb45fd6d56dfec2096e63a74f.png

What's that, Wade? "Let's get on the $#(&ing boat already"?? Sorry, bud, you gotta wait just a little bit longer!

And watch your $#(&ing mouth!!

🎶 Only four days 'til we go on the cruise, only four days 'til we gooooo! 🎶

giphy.gif

Decisions, decisions...

This wine is definitely coming with me:

IMG_1190.thumb.png.6c589583362eebfd377a34907e225c5d.png

I've loved this "super tuscan" since the first time I tried it on Freedom last year. One of my favorites, but definitely for special occasions and cruises only.

But I'm having a hard time deciding between another bottle of red, or a bottle of white:

IMG_1189.thumb.png.d30859b20a33cbfa54b9567f70d39c72.png

IMG_1192.thumb.png.985fb9575a1c7458a43475d89c183b4c.pngIMG_1191.thumb.png.cf5cf2d6c8c128ef4413b1bf74d54ff7.png

I had Conundrum white blend last year on Anthem and actually liked it a fair bit, so I figured I'd get a bottle of the red to try out. And my local wine guy recommended the Evolution as an alternative to Conundrum white, particularly if I like Chardonnay. But I'm not sure if I want to bring that and risk having a bottle of something I end up not liking, which is why I'm also debating the Kendall-Jackson; had that before, good white that works with pretty much any lighter meal.

I'm much more partial to reds, but out of these three which would you choose?

What's that, Wade? Put the wine in the suitcase?

Dude, I told you that I have to keep it in the carry-on or else my suitcase will end up in the naughty ro...

You have your guns and knives in there?!?!?

On 10/14/2019 at 6:38 PM, JLMoran said:

What's that, Wade? "Let's get on the $#(&ing boat already"?? Sorry, bud, you gotta wait just a little bit longer!

And watch your $#(&ing mouth!!

Eagerly following along. We loved our Anthem cruise, and have wanted to go to Bermuda for a while now.

The Deadpool references are icing on the cake!! (Love those movies!!)

Well, @DDaley kind of... I'll just let Kuzco say it.

giphy.gif

😉

Anyway...

🎶 Only three days 'til we go on the cruise, only three days 'til we gooooo! 🎶

giphy.gif

Cash withdrawn, some converted to small bills for tips?

Credit card travel notifications placed?

Passports gotten out from the safe deposit box and put in the folder with the SetSail passes (paper backup)?

Travel Insurance docs printed out?

Pre-cruise haircut?

giphy.gif    

Anything I'm forgetting?

giphy.gif

K, guess I'm g...

🤦🏻‍♂️

FINISH PACKING!!!!

Forgot one item in the last post:

Crappy, gray, rainy weather that's guaranteeing I'll appreciate how great the weather is four days from now when I'm at sea?

Also, for those who might have wondered... per Royal's prohibited items FAQ:

• Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

Never thought I'd need to know this, but as it turns out I have to be able to pack a small pair of scissors that I'm using to cut pieces of the antibiotic foam-like material I've been given to pack the wound with whenever I change the bandage.

Serious question -- Should the scissors be packed in my carry-on so I can quickly explain if needed? Or will it be OK if they're in my checked suitcase, inside my dopp kit bag and with all the other medical materials I need to pack? Just want to try and avoid a trip to the naughty room if possible.

12 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Serious question -- Should the scissors be packed in my carry-on so I can quickly explain if needed? Or will it be OK if they're in my checked suitcase, inside my dopp kit bag and with all the other medical materials I need to pack? Just want to try and avoid a trip to the naughty room if possible.

You could also put the scissors in your toiletry bag since a lot of kits come with them in there already...

🎶 Only two days 'til we go on the cruise, only two days 'til we gooooo! 🎶

giphy.gif

Laundry is done, hamper is empty, just have to do some ironing and the clothes packing will finish up. Still have to pack all the camera stuff, charger, and other tech gear; and things like sunscreen and my toiletries are still waiting to get shoved in.

Seriously, this carry-on size suitcase is going to be seriously jammed full. Very glad I'm not packing my suit, even if this suitcase does come with a suit pocket.

And now that we're down to two days, I'll reveal the two eBooks I've loaded onto my iPad (and which I suspect I'll be getting a lot more time to read than originally planned):

fullsizeoutput_3150.jpeg.2369c44d2beedfd5b0e3ea98f85185c2.jpeg

The first book is by a guy whose tech journalism I've followed for years, as he was a staff writer for MacWorld and now does tech reporting at SixColors.com. He's also a semi-regular guest on some of the podcasts I listen to, and between liking his writing style online and the stuff he talks about on the podcasts, I wanted to give his debut novel a go.

Second book was sitting in my list of "want to read" after seeing it listed in a "top recommended Sci-Fi of 2018" list (which happened to be written by Dan Moren's partner at SixColors.com, site creator Jason Snell). Then I saw it was being made into a TV series on Starz, and after watching the trailer / reading the summary, decided I'd better buy it and read it.

15 hours ago, JLMoran said:

🎶 Only two days 'til we go on the cruise, only two days 'til we gooooo! 🎶

giphy.gif

So excited for you and I didn't think I'd be more disturbed by a number than the "3" you found for your countdown but this "2" is ... whoa. Yeesh. 😉

43 minutes ago, kimberussell said:

So excited for you and I didn't think I'd be more disturbed by a number than the "3" you found for your countdown but this "2" is ... whoa. Yeesh. 😉

I wanted to do a series of number animations from the old Sesame Street or Electric Company shows, but seems that giphy doesn't have any beyond the full opening sequence for "1-2-3-4-5... 6-7-8-9-10... 11-12". 😒

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

I wanted to do a series of number animations from the old Sesame Street or Electric Company shows, but seems that giphy doesn't have any beyond the full opening sequence for "1-2-3-4-5... 6-7-8-9-10... 11-12". 😒

I want you to know I read this in the way it was intended...by singing it.

Enjoy the cruise, get that sun!

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:07 PM, JLMoran said:

Sounds like they are copy and pasting old schedules.

35 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Joe, how is your foot/ankle doing ?

Raye, it's a mixed bag. Had a follow-up at the wound center today; seems to be a bit bigger than it was, which the doc said is normal in the beginning but hardly helpful at this particular point. I've already canceled iFly, no way do I want to risk making it any worse from the high-speed wind buffeting me and making my shoe flap around in bad ways.

I'll definitely be looking for a scooter or wheelchair to rent at the aquarium and botanical garden so that I'm not walking on it too much (beyond what I'll already be doing just in the course of regular day-to-day on the ship). Will take my chances with Horseshoe Bay, since the majority of the beach has very well-packed sand that won't torque my foot around in bad ways; worse comes to worst, while Cathy enjoys the waves and sand I'll sit in the bar there and down a few Dark & Stormy's.

Good news is my doc told me to take Painkillers as needed to deal with any discomfort.

201836cc1d2709ff7d16b0c16dcaeeb07b26.jpg

At least, I think this is what he meant. 😁

It's all come down to this...

🎶 Only one day 'til we go on the cruise,
only one day 'til we gooooo! 🎶

giphy.gif

3D rendered graphics on Giphy for every number before this. For 1? Bupkis. At least this isn't creepy looking. 😜

The  bags are packed, the cruise docs and passports are in the backpack inside pocket, all the electronics are good to go, and the wine is in its carrier.

I did decide to take the Conundrum red blend as the second bottle. Nobody besides @Lovetocruise2002 gave any feedback, so she wins by default! 😂

And in a fun twist, Cathy is not only on board with leaving at 9 to be at the terminal when it opens; she then asked if we can leave at bit earlier, because she has a package that she has to mail out and doesn't want us to get there later! 🤯 Granted, the cruise terminal doesn't open until 10:30, but this ensures that even if we hit the inevitable crawl of cars going into the place, we'll be through right in time for my actual, assigned by the ship 10:30 AM boarding time!

Oh, and when I just re-checked the terminal hours I saw that parking has gone up from $20/day to $22/day. Prices rising is as inevitable as death and taxes, and this is the first raise in at least three years – I remember reading a review of an Anthem Bermuda sailing on Eat Sleep Cruise where it was still $20/day to park – so I'm not going to let it rain on my parade.

OK, maybe a little. That's the better part of a melon & mango 'rita you're costing me, Cape Liberty.

So in 12 hours we'll be on the road, and in a little over 13 we should be on board! Stay tuned!

Tomorrow is the day.  Am really excited for you both.  So sorry about your foot acting up....an having to cancel iFly and take it easy in other ways.  What bad timing.  But I'm sure you'll still have an amazing time and you're finding ways to work around it.  I like your "painkiller" above.  

Have a great cruise!