Bringing liquor home from Bahamas

KJ1231

On 11/2/2021 at 2:29 PM, twangster said:

I've always declared everything with USCBP because if you don't and get caught once you are red flagged and will be in secondary screening on all future border crossings.

We also declare everything but we don't list quantity purchased...We list dollar amount spent.

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/2/2021 at 3:29 PM, twangster said:

I've always declared everything with USCBP because if you don't and get caught once you are red flagged and will be in secondary screening on all future border crossings.

However with facial recognition used at many cruise ports now you are never asked if you have anything to declare.  

TABC is another matter.  I don't buy alcohol on cruise from Galveston because of it.  Even if transiting through Texes you are supposed to declare it and screw that.  I always have cruises booking from Florida so it's just easier not buying booze on Texas cruises.

You're always helpful, Twangster; that helped me.

Follow up question - we get off Harmony  tomorrow - do we still have to have all bottles in our carry-on bags?  I  use the porters and they tend to breeze through. 

On 3/6/2019 at 2:07 PM, monctonguy said:

I bring back alcohol all the time as its crazy expensive in Canada..I just throw it in my suitcase..never broken in over 30 trips to the Caribbean and cruises....

In Canada they charge you about $1oz for anything over....if the same was true in the US customs..$500 should cover it and more

I have driven to Ontario from Northern New York, more than once, just to buy beer. I always claim it. I also stop at Tim Horton's... LOL. Twangster is right, you don't lie to border control. I always declare everything, once I bought hockey skates and I ended up receiving the tax back! You will be able to bring the 4 L back, just pray the bottles don't break in your checked bags.

It's funny, I had brought a bottle of champs with me for my cruise on Jewel to Mexico.  I didn't drink it on board and had it in a shopping bag on the way out to customs. They didn't even blink an eye as I was talking to the agent. I thought they would have asked me about it at least. Good to know I can have at least one bottle of something. 

• 2 weeks later...