Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
KJ1231

Bringing liquor home from Bahamas

Recommended Posts

Cruising this weekend on Enchantment to Nassau and Freeport (replaced CocoCay). My son-in-law's father asked me to get him some liquor that he can't get in the states. I've not had a drink in years and have never purchased liquor and brought it home. That said:

  1. He's asked for 4 1-litre bottles of a Ricardo Coconut Rum. I know I will have to "turn it in" when we reboard the ship. They will return it on the last day and we have to carry it off? Or the evening before so we can pack it? 
  2. I am clueless when it comes to declaring alcohol for customs. I believe I can bring back up to 5 litres duty-free? Does that mean I don't have to document it? Or document it and don't have to pay?
  3. I'm assuming there are no issues (other than weight) of packing the bottles in our luggage for the flight back from Florida to PA?

Any help or suggestions (including a store near the port in Nassau) would be greatly appreciated! Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KJ1231 said:

They will return it on the last day and we have to carry it off? Or the evening before so we can pack it? 

Yes, last day so you can pack it.

2 minutes ago, KJ1231 said:

I am clueless when it comes to declaring alcohol for customs. I believe I can bring back up to 5 litres duty-free? Does that mean I don't have to document it? Or document it and don't have to pay?

Here's US Customs and Border Protection info:

As a general rule, travelers to Caribbean Basin Initiative (CBI) countries are allowed a $800 duty-free exemption on their return to the U.S. You may include two liters of alcoholic beverages with this $800 exemption, as long as one of the liters was produced in one of the CBI countries.

The duty exemption for travelers returning from the U.S. Virgin Islands is $1,600. You may include 1,000 cigarettes as part of this exemption, but at least 800 of them must have been acquired in the U.S. Virgin Islands (keep your receipt). You may include five liters of alcoholic beverages in your duty-free exemption, but one of them must be a product of the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, or American Samoa.

4 minutes ago, KJ1231 said:

I'm assuming there are no issues (other than weight) of packing the bottles in our luggage for the flight back from Florida to PA?

Yes, in checked luggage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, KJ1231 said:

I'm assuming there are no issues (other than weight) of packing the bottles in our luggage for the flight back from Florida to PA?

Pack it carefully!  I've had leakage from otherwise sealed bottles that has gotten on my clothes before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Matt said:

As a general rule, travelers to Caribbean Basin Initiative (CBI) countries are allowed a $800 duty-free exemption on their return to the U.S. You may include two liters of alcoholic beverages with this $800 exemption, as long as one of the liters was produced in one of the CBI countries.

Thanks, Matt!

How much of a hassle, then, is it to bring back 4 liters? Believe it or not, he offered me $500 to bring back 4 bottles (I would never take that much!) so he is willing to pay costs and I guess for my time. I'm assuming there is some form I'll have to fill out an declare them? Do I have to produce them? i.e. open the luggage and show them? If it's too much of a hassle I may just give him the 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, KJ1231 said:

Thanks, Matt!

How much of a hassle, then, is it to bring back 4 liters? Believe it or not, he offered me $500 to bring back 4 bottles (I would never take that much!) so he is willing to pay costs and I guess for my time. I'm assuming there is some form I'll have to fill out an declare them? Do I have to produce them? i.e. open the luggage and show them? If it's too much of a hassle I may just give him the 2.

think that rule is per person, but I could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Orange Crush said:

Pack it carefully!  I've had leakage from otherwise sealed bottles that has gotten on my clothes before.

Take a look on amazon for something similar to WineHero.  They are bubble wrap type leak proof bags.  Just check that the size works for the bottles you want to buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bring back alcohol all the time as its crazy expensive in Canada..I just throw it in my suitcase..never broken in over 30 trips to the Caribbean and cruises....

 

In Canada they charge you about $1oz for anything over....if the same was true in the US customs..$500 should cover it and more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, monctonguy said:

I bring back alcohol all the time as its crazy expensive in Canada..I just throw it in my suitcase..never broken in over 30 trips to the Caribbean and cruises....

I've never had a break, just some leakage out of the cap--it was a screw-top so I figure it either got loosened a bit or had a faulty seal.  Tasted just fine. :10_wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...