Royal Caribbean Blog

48 minutes ago, Matt said:

Does that mean there will be an opportunity to see a WW2 ship sail again (in order to move to new location)?

She would be towed down to Galveston.  Contracts and land leases still need to be worked out, but the hope is that she would go into dry dock at Galveston in August for a 1-year refurbishment, then be floated across the channel to her berth at Pier 20. 

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

UPDATED 3 May 2021 Construction of Royal Caribbean's new Cruise Terminal is in progress, with completion planned in time for the arrival of Allure of the Seas on 13 Nov 2022. Galveston is th

Global pandemic nearly wipes out the entire cruise industry.  Royal prioritizes the Galveston terminal project above everything else including other Perfect Day and private destination projects. 

This deserves to be a regular blog post on the homepage.

Posted Images

11 hours ago, kadmgs said:

Great news about the Battleship. She's currently a "stone's throw" from my house (maybe 8 miles as the crow flies), but I'm glad they are moving her to a location that will see more traffic. They need the funds to repair her and more visitors will help with that. 

If you choose to visit the Battleship once she's there or the offshore museum, I highly recommend Katie's Seafood House at Pier 19. The location used to be Hill's at Pier 19 for OG Galveston people. Katie's is super fresh, delicious seafood (like caught within hours of being on your plate.) They are attached to Katie's Seafood Market and they supply many of the non-chain restaurants in Galveston. http://www.katiesseafoodhouse.com/

You are exactly correct. Representatives from the Battleship Foundation said they got about 40,000 visitors a year (before they closed down for Covid).  They expect 250,000 visitors a year if located in Galveston.  The increased ticket and souvenir revenue would fund the development of the facilities in Galveston and would also help pay off the loan necessary for the refurbishment.

...and I totally agree with your recommendation for Katie's Seafood.  The food is great and they will have a great view of the battleship!

1 hour ago, Scatmanjack said:

So Matt is saying Liberty is getting dry dock in Spain in July...  Guess we need to start making other plans if we have Liberty/Galveston sailing booked for this summer...

Hmmm....If she goes to Spain, that could make it tough for our Sept sailing, too.

We were originally booked b2b Aug 29-Sept 5 and Sept 5-Sept 12.  The first week was to be a family cruise after our oldest got married.

The wedding was postponed till 2022, so we rescheduled that cruise (with family) to 2022.  My wife and I are really hoping to go on the Sept 5th sailing, but the news of Liberty going to Spain makes it look less likely.

21 minutes ago, Zurc said:

@Galveston Steve, any further news on the Pier 10 terminal?  If I recall, Royal Caribbean still had until sometime this April for due diligence.   Will you keep us up to date when you hear any news, groundbreaking date, etc. ?   

thanks!

I will definitely keep you posted, and you will probably hear it here first.  As my update last week noted, there are now regular project update meetings between RCI and the Port of Galveston, and RCI is getting ready to start test piles to confirm the foundation load bearing capacities.  Things are moving forward, even if the final sign-off hasn't occurred.

2 hours ago, Galveston Steve said:

I will definitely keep you posted, and you will probably hear it here first.  As my update last week noted, there are now regular project update meetings between RCI and the Port of Galveston, and RCI is getting ready to start test piles to confirm the foundation load bearing capacities.  Things are moving forward, even if the final sign-off hasn't occurred.

Thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AlmondFarmer said:

Any equipment moved in or surveying? 10 days left in April. 
If nothing happens soon, those who booked first Allure sailings will have reason to be nervous. 

I can't speak for Galveston Steve, as he seems to always be in the know. But in my experience, the view from the road isn't all that great. Therefore, any work would have to be very large to be visible.

22 hours ago, steverk said:

I can't speak for Galveston Steve, as he seems to always be in the know. But in my experience, the view from the road isn't all that great. Therefore, any work would have to be very large to be visible.

I agree with Steve. It is difficult to see the work site from Harborside. It sits much farther back from the street than the other terminals. There's always cranes and equipment around there so it is difficult to tell what's "new" and what's always there. We need someone who works at John Sealy across the street who can see into the worksite from the top of the parking garage. 🙂

On 4/20/2021 at 10:23 AM, AlmondFarmer said:

If nothing happens soon, those who booked first Allure sailings will have reason to be nervous. 

Construction in Texas tends to be easier than most states, there should be no problems with the deadline if they want it done by then.

On 4/20/2021 at 10:23 AM, AlmondFarmer said:

RCI has completed installing the test piles at the new terminal site.  I've attached a rather poor photo of the pile rig from the Port Director's monthly report.  The pile load testing will begin next week to determine the actual pile capacity at the site. RCI has some Pier 10 wharf repairs in their scope and they are issuing a request for bids on that work this month.  RCI and the Port of Galveston are continuing to hold bi-weekly project meetings. Things are progressing but it's typically a slow ramp-up in activity at first.

image.thumb.png.65ec6047ac2003812e5f53c8ab1d6c78.png

Interesting reading from the posted agenda for next Port of Galveston meeting.

Section C.3.  Port Directors report (PDR)

PDR attachment - One slide shows Royal Caribbean Terminal Update - the due diligence period is waived, hard contract now.  However extend final completion date and rent start date 3 months.   

Business section F.11   -  attachment shows a proposed 2nd amendment to RC new Terminal ground lease. 

Here is the entire agenda with links
https://www.portofgalveston.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_04272021-394?html=true

(Note:  PDR last slide also shows 2 Carnival ships & Crew returning to Galveston May 2, 2021.)

@Galveston Steve, just saw your update posted above. Thanks

1 hour ago, Zurc said:

Interesting reading from the posted agenda for next Port of Galveston meeting.

Section C.3.  Port Directors report (PDR)

PDR attachment - One slide shows Royal Caribbean Terminal Update - the due diligence period is waived, hard contract now.  However extend final completion date and rent start date 3 months.   

Business section F.11   -  attachment shows a proposed 2nd amendment to RC new Terminal ground lease. 

Here is the entire agenda with links
https://www.portofgalveston.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_04272021-394?html=true

(Note:  PDR last slide also shows 2 Carnival ships & Crew returning to Galveston May 2, 2021.)

@Galveston Steve, just saw your update posted above. Thanks

Thanks @Zurc.  Yes, the proposed 2nd Amendment to the contract waives the due diligence period, which is great news.  It still has a Target completion in September 2022 which is ahead of Allure's arrival in November 2022.  However it provides for an extension of the completion Deadline and Rent Commencement Date to give RCI some additional time in the event of a delay in their ability to finance the project.  RCI must begin paying rent on the lease when the first cruise ship docks at the new terminal, but if no ship docks by the Rent Commencement Date in 2023 they must begin paying rent then even if no ships have docked there yet.  The information in the pre-read had several conflicting dates so I was planning to listen in on the meeting next week to sort out the dates and provide an update then.

2 hours ago, DanielB said:

Thanks for posting this @DanielB. I think/hope the headline in this article is a bit misleading.  Since the agreement says RCI will use "commercially reasonable efforts" to reach substantial completion by 9/1/2022, I believe this request by RCI to extend the completion deadline and rent commencement dates by a few months into late 2023 is to give them a little breathing room in case financing becomes difficult or the CDC continues to make life difficult for cruise companies within US ports.  I'll continue to monitor the situation and report back.

2 hours ago, steverk said:

This is surprising news!

According to this story, Carnival will bring ships in to Galveston on Sunday.  Their intent is to crew up and get ready to go.

Cruise ships set to return to Galveston this weekend in hopes to welcome passengers this summer - ABC13 Houston

Per Marine Traffic.. Vista will be one of them. 

848202B7-2C84-421F-A2A7-5D808685227B.jpeg