Labadee rumor

Rumors floating around all stops to Labadee cancelled. Really sucks because I am supposed to be going there next month. FB groups are reporting from someone currently on Oasis that they are not stopping there tomorrow. Speculation is that no ships will be going there.

I'm on Symphony in a week and a half - also the 8 day with Labadee, Aruba & Curacao.  Totally agree with this:

2 hours ago, Fastfaller said:

That would be a lot of sea days.

I haven't gotten anything official from Royal yet (except Jet Ski cancellation). We board on 3/23 and were supposed to be at Labadee on 3/25. I'm hoping they are trying to replace it with another island and that is why I haven't gotten an email.

8 hours ago, Cory said:

kinda bummed we're not going to Labadee from the Oasis, love hanging out there so were just sailing tomorrow, we have definitely slowed down since the news, but it will be alright, hopefully things will get better for Haiti. 

Haiti is just a crap show. I really feel for the people there. I'm with you - hoping things get better sooner rather than later. ❤️

I am elated that Royal Caribbean has stopped sailing to Labedee for the next 7 days and doing a reconsideration of 3 days. But honestly just don't stop there.  We sail on Symphony of the Seas on March31st and didn't even want to stop. The safety of its guests and crew should be foremost. Just because there is distance between the violence and Labedee you can't anticipate what may happen. We prefer another port like Cocoa Cay opposed to a day at sea, but at sea is great too.

Edited by Beachlover2024
Added text, corrected english

13 hours ago, Fastfaller said:

My cruise is 8 day with 3 stops... Aruba, Curacao, Labadee.  If they just cancel Labadee and don't add something in it's place that will be very disappointing... That would be a lot of sea days.

11 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

I'm on Symphony in a week and a half - also the 8 day with Labadee, Aruba & Curacao.  Totally agree with this:

I haven't gotten anything official from Royal yet (except Jet Ski cancellation). We board on 3/23 and were supposed to be at Labadee on 3/25. I'm hoping they are trying to replace it with another island and that is why I haven't gotten an email.

When our 2021 8-night eastern with this itinerary cancelled Labadee they replaced it with Nassau. So that may be in the cards for you two as well.

We are on Symphony from March 17-22 and they just cancelled Labadee yesterday and replaced it with a sea day. Does anyone know if there are port fees associated with Labadee, and if so, how much of a refund should we expect?

@Beachlover2024 My wife and I are on the same sailing.  This is defiantly a hot topic right now, and to be honest, we are just going to have to be patient and wait to see how our trip pans out with respect to stopping at Labadee.  Personally, I have mixed feelings about it, and will just go wherever the boat takes us.  If you truly have a concern, it might be better to let Royal know directly rather than posting it here.  Either way, I am sure we will have a great cruise regardless of Labadee's status and I am looking forward to the trip.  See you on board!   

26 minutes ago, edobkin said:

We are on Symphony from March 17-22 and they just cancelled Labadee yesterday and replaced it with a sea day. Does anyone know if there are port fees associated with Labadee, and if so, how much of a refund should we expect?

I don't know the exact answer, but I think Royal pays Haiti $12 per person.  I would not expect too much back.

1 hour ago, Beachlover2024 said:

I am elated that Royal Caribbean has stopped sailing to Labedee for the next 7 days and doing a reconsideration of 3 days. But honestly just don't stop there.  We sail on Symphony of the Seas on March31st and didn't even want to stop. The safety of its guests and crew should be foremost. Just because there is distance between the violence and Labedee you can't anticipate what may happen. We prefer another port like Cocoa Cay opposed to a day at sea, but at sea is great too.

Well I am the complete opposite of you. I am very disappointed as Labadee is one of my favorite stops. The violence in Haiti is pretty isolated to Port-au-Prince and no where near Labadee. It like saying you wouldn't visit a remote coastal sea town in Maine due to civil unrest in NYC... The 2 places are just so disconnected from each other. That being said, you are entitled to your views and I am mine. I can respect you not wanting to go .

1 hour ago, DoomSlayer said:

I don't know the exact answer, but I think Royal pays Haiti $12 per person.  I would not expect too much back.

Anything above zero is excellent. Thank you brother.

I am hoping that they add more lunch for Hibachi that day since we will be stuck at sea...

It's a smart idea.  Just think of the worst case scenario.  A group of armed gang members decide to make the long trip to Labadee.  They have paid off the guards to let them in or maybe the guards are on their side.  They would be able to get so much food and medicine from the ships and also hold everyone ransom.  That would be a cool movie with the Rock going in and saving the day.  Or nothing would happen and this is an over reaction.        

43 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

I'm not counting on stopping at Labadee on our 5 day cruise on Indy starting April 22nd.  If they replace Labadee with a sea day, we will cruise for 5 days with a stop in Nassau on the last day. I don't mind sea days but not to go to Nassau.

Hopefully they can find another place for you to go!

1 hour ago, Dad2Cue said:

I'm not counting on stopping at Labadee on our 5 day cruise on Indy starting April 22nd.  If they replace Labadee with a sea day, we will cruise for 5 days with a stop in Nassau on the last day. I don't mind sea days but not to go to Nassau.

I recently visited Puerto Plata Dominican Republic. I really enjoyed it and would consider it an upgrade from Labadee 

Maaaaaaaaaaan!! I have a Hilltop Cabana and the all-day Dragon Coaster booked as a surprise for my husband. Will have been our first visit to Labadee. Sailing in May and haven’t received a cancellation yet but certainly not confident we will actually get to go….not sure we want to at this point either😖😩

10 hours ago, TravisMA81 said:

It's a smart idea.  Just think of the worst case scenario.  A group of armed gang members decide to make the long trip to Labadee.  They have paid off the guards to let them in or maybe the guards are on their side.  They would be able to get so much food and medicine from the ships and also hold everyone ransom.  That would be a cool movie with the Rock going in and saving the day.  Or nothing would happen and this is an over reaction.        

Did anyone watch the tv show 911 last night? All about a cruise ship being taken over by hostages... part 2 and 3 the next few weeks. This has nothing to do with this situation, but I figured since we were talking about movies..

Are folks here optimistic that Labadee reopens and continues business as usual?

I'm thinking much darker thoughts that probability of Royal completely losing the property is... Oh! about 50-50 right now.

But I will say that Michael Bayley cancelling all port stops puts the company at a potential negotiating advantage in the future. RC deserves a huge high five for making this decision. There are some really tough decisions the company still needs to make regarding Labadee but I think Royal management deserves a great big RCB group hug for doing what they have so far. Good job team!