"Cruise Big, or Go Home" – OA 3/10/2024-3/17/2024

"CRUISE BIG, OR GO HOME" – OA 3/10/2024-3/17/2024

March2024Blogpic.PNG.b400a0262f68a52905bff2e03f295ff3.PNG

There once was time, many blogs ago, where I said, “Dreams…that is how many things begin; that is how this adventure began.  But with every dream that comes true, there is always a journey.”

Anyone remember that blog? It was the one where many claimed I corrupted them (I’m looking at you @GregD lol); it was also truly a dream come true for us. Since that 2019 sailing, we have been blessed beyond measure, and we never take any sailing for granted.

But in the midst of all this, there was also a greater dream, a greater wish, that started way before 2019, or even 2016 (when Royal started their Royal Suite Class program) for that matter. This was a dream that began over 14 years ago, in December 2009, when Hubby and I sailed on Oasis of the Seas for her maiden voyage, and I realized that there was a cabin, way up on Deck 17 (this was my pre-suite snob days), corner starboard side, that I wanted to be in one day…#cruisegoals

The journey to get to this sailing, in this cabin was a long one. I know I have said it before, but we were not always suite snobs. We have done our share of interiors, ocean views, balconies, etc. Even when I turned into a suite snob, this particular cabin was always out of reach for us. Either financially, or the pandemic took it away, or it wasn’t available, or @Rags1 would not adopt me. What I am trying to say, is that it is not lost on me the road it took us to get here, and how grateful I am that we now have this opportunity, and how this likely will be the only opportunity for this cabin. We are committed to treasuring every moment of this.

I have tracked the price of this room over many years. For the times of the year that we can sail (March, July, August, December), March is always the best price for this room.

This sailing is also beyond bittersweet. It is more than being able to check off a cruise bucket list item for us and the journey it took us to get here. It’s our final March Break sailing with our oldest. We have been sailing with the girls over March Break for years and there will never be another March Break sailing with all 4 of us together. This is it. That is the main reason why we had to take the leap and do this now. I knew back in December 2009 when I first heard that such a room existed, that I wanted to do it, but not without both kids. With D17 graduating this June, and the uncertainty of her university and life schedule (she will not have a March break that is for certain), it really is now, or likely never.

Like a wise @Baked Alaska recently said, “Time is like a thief.” Life is too short; it’s about seizing the moments we have, it’s about not having regrets, and we never want to look back and say, “We wish we would have done it.”

With that in mind, Hubby and I decided that YOLO, it’s going to be now, to “Cruise Big”, really big, and then go home.

Who’s Going?

Me, Hubby, D17, D15 (aka, the freeloaders)

Flight

Delta from DTW-MIA; booked through Air2Sea.

Flying in two days early again on the 8th. Flight pricing was also terrible for this sailing. Originally, when flights were first released, it was $943pp (economy) round trip! We did toss around the idea of driving but ditched that idea rather quickly. I saved a bit by moving our outbound flight to an afternoon flight (now slightly regretting it), and over time, was able to price this flight down a couple hundred per person before final payment. Still more than we usually pay for March break flights, but better than the original cost.

Pre-Cruise Stay

Well, we are flying to Miami, and cruising from Miami, so you all know where we are staying right?

Itinerary

08 MARCH Arrive Miami, FL

09 MARCH Miami, FL

10 MARCH Miami, FL (Cruise Day!)

11 MARCH Nassau, Bahamas

12 MARCH Perfect Day at CocoCay

13 MARCH At Sea

14 MARCH Labadee, Haiti

15 MARCH Falmouth, Jamaica

16 MARCH At Sea

17 MARCH Miami, Florida (Go home)

Cabin

I am sure you have a guess by now what this is as well lol

Pre-Cruise thoughts

•  It’s another relaxing sailing with two beach days (Labadee, PDCC). The girls are excited for a redo of our NYE sailing because they got rained out and it was not that warm the last time. Hubby and the girls have tickets for Thrill Waterpark this time.  As for me, I am not leaving the cabin.
  • Another thing that I am really looking forward to this sailing is not only seeing @recogneyes again, but also finally being able to sail with @A&L_Ont (who many of you know from that other place). Andrew and I have gotten to know each other well over the last few years. Our families were supposed to sail together for #majorstarclasstakeover in March 2022 but Andrew and his family couldn’t make it. Then, we ended up running into each other at DTW when we were stuck there in July 2023. We were trying to get to Wonder, and Andrew and Lisa were on their way to Freedom. Anyway, we all booked this sailing very early on and it’s been a long time coming! Can’t wait! Hubby is equally as excited as this means more company for him on the Flowrider.
  • Once again, in the spirit of a live blog, please do not hesitate to ask any questions.  I will do my best to find out whatever I can for you.
  • When responding to a post with a series of pictures, please do not include the pictures in your reply.  It just makes for easier scrolling.
  • Lastly, I will try to post videos and stories on Instagram.  You can follow me @lovetocruise2002

Not sure where the time went between getting off Icon inaugural and now.

The last few weeks have been filled with spending time with my parents, and prom dress shopping. I have no clue when high school prom turned into such a fancy event lol. D17 ended up with a beautiful lilac dress, which I cannot share here because the boyfriend is not supposed to see it until prom. Not that these teenagers want anything to do with reading my blog, but I don't want to be blamed for some 17 year old's catastrophe. Those of you who have been there know what I mean.

I am super behind in my packing this time. I only have my clothes packed and that is it. Today is major packing day.

59 minutes ago, LandstromCruise said:

I think though the one question you didn't answer is will there be a trip up to Ft Lauderdale to a certain restaurant on 3/8 or 3/9.  

Unfortunately, I don't think so. We did not rent a car this time. We looked into it but the car rental that is close to the hotel does not open on Sundays for returns. It was just going to be too much of a hassle to return the car so we decided it was not worth the cost. So anyway, in answer to your question, sadly, I don't think that we will make it to La Bamba this time around.

On Friday, because we are stuck on that afternoon flight, we don't land until 4pm (assuming it's on time), and then on Saturday, the kids want to go to Sawgrass Mills and that is nowhere near a La Bamba location. However, we, or should I say I, because I am the Home Genie, found an interesting place for us to try for dinner this weekend.

51 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

to keep me busy until I leave on Wonder as you return!

I am counting on you to take over the live blogging on 3/17!

42 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I have been trying to guess the suite........is it the RLS?

Winner, Winner!

44 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We never made it to the RLS and at this point, we probably never will. 

This is why we have to do. Not sure how many more times we can round up all 4 of us that doesn't fall on high season pricing. And even with low season pricing, SC is becoming more and more out of reach these days. Not that we got a bargain at all on this cabin, but we are going to do it now while we still can. Because it might literally not happen again.

26 minutes ago, LandstromCruise said:

you blabbed the secret 🤣

There's always gotta be one in the group lol

20 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

i pray my wild time oasis experiences have stuck to me like a magnet and that your trip is blessed and lovely and shenanigans free!!!! 💚💚💚💚

We don't come across the shenanigans that some of you do lol, only cancelled flights 😬 but thank you, hoping for smooth travels and sailing all the way through!

13 minutes ago, DDaley said:

All I know is it’s not an ATS hahaha 

It's not the ATS this time, but there quite a few ATS in the future. I have to leave room to add on more freeloaders possibly, omg, I cannot believe I am even admitting that.

4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Because that's the only way you get to see food from the WJ and other places the poors eat? 🤣

I'll start one and @GatorCruiser said he will be contributing but no promises as far as how much or what I wind up posting. Unfortunately real life is getting in the way of my being able to relax and look forward to the cruise like I should be but I'm hoping it either passes or I'm able to just block it out once embarkation day gets here. I have no doubt I'll enjoy the cruise itself but how much I blog is TBD.

2 minutes ago, LandstromCruise said:

real life is nowhere near as fun as cruise life.  I want to live permanently in cruise life

Agreed but I can deal with "not as fun." Unfortunately it's actual negative stuff getting in my way at the moment. Trying to move on and look at the big picture (which is fine) so let's let this stuff fall away and get back to @Lovetocruise2002's planning and stories of how she's the only one who will be packed on time.

The RLS sounds amazing and I hope you scored a deal of a lifetime. 

I know you are counting this cruise as special since it will be the last time in a while you get to sail with all the freeloaders. And I hope your dad is doing well.

I started including my mother on more cruises because being with family is awesome, and sharing a cruise is even more so. The suite life is wasted on her, and I will always be the one paying🤣 but it is nice to experience these types of sailings through you and the rest of the suite lovers. 

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

I'll start one and @GatorCruiser said he will be contributing but no promises as far as how much or what I wind up posting. 

Awesome! A joint blog! Even better!

Unfortunately real life is getting in the way of my being able to relax and look forward to the cruise like I should be but I'm hoping it either passes or I'm able to just block it out once embarkation day gets here.

I hear you. That pretty much sums up all my cruises since Odyssey. But I always remind myself, and my family, to live in the moment.

1 hour ago, LandstromCruise said:

I want to live permanently in cruise life

Me too! It looks like @WAAAYTOOO is doing that these days. That's what I want to be when I grow up lol

stories of how she's the only one who will be packed on time.

Packing is going bad this time! 😣

Here's the status:

Hubby 0%

D17 0%

Me 70%ish

and in a surprising turn of events...

D15 100%

Why is this surprising? Because D15 is literally Hubby as far as life organization goes. Probably worse. We are all speechless. She has been completely packed since Sunday.

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

The RLS sounds amazing and I hope you scored a deal of a lifetime. 

I don't know whether to laugh, or to cry at that comment. It definitely was not a deal. Not even close. This was a hard one to make final payment on. It hurt a bit. Well, if you ask Hubby, it hurt a lot. But if you compare it to current RLS pricing, then I suppose it was a deal. lol

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

And I hope your dad is doing well.

Thank you to you and @WAAAYTOOO for asking about my Dad. The last few months have had their ups and downs, but he is stable and getting the treatment that he needs. He is still able to spend time with his family and friends, and for that we are grateful.

2 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I always remind myself, and my family, to live in the moment.

Trying. That’s pretty much what I meant by looking at the big picture… just easier said than done at times.

5 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Awesome! A joint blog! Even better!

Maybe you can use your mod powers & get @Matt to drop in. He’s on that cruise too.

6 minutes ago, LandstromCruise said:

He's to cool to live blog anymore 😂

Yeah, he popped into our roll call at least, only reason I know he'll be onboard. Ironically, he lives virtually down the road from me where my wife teaches but it will take being on a ship with 6000 people in the Caribbean to possibly run into him and say hi, lol.

Maybe you can use your mod powers & get @Matt to drop in. He’s on that cruise too.

29 minutes ago, LandstromCruise said:

He's to cool to live blog anymore 😂

@LandstromCruise beat me to it, but I was going to say that I don't know if my mod powers extend that far. I have not seen a live blog by @Matt for quite some time.

4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I was going to say that I don't know if my mod powers extend that far. I have not seen a live blog by @Matt for quite some time.

Maybe he'll just drop in with a comment or two but I'm not holding my breath, lol. No biggie either way.

I'm far more concerned with actually taking pics (which I've mentioned I normally don't do) and making shorter posts here and there rather than long daily recaps like my brain is naturally wired to do. I enjoy reading both types of blogs but the long recaps start to feel more like work at times and less like sharing the fun.

5 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Unfortunately, I don't think so. We did not rent a car this time. We looked into it but the car rental that is close to the hotel does not open on Sundays for returns. It was just going to be too much of a hassle to return the car so we decided it was not worth the cost. So anyway, in answer to your question, sadly, I don't think that we will make it to La Bamba this time around.

On Friday, because we are stuck on that afternoon flight, we don't land until 4pm (assuming it's on time), and then on Saturday, the kids want to go to Sawgrass Mills and that is nowhere near a La Bamba location. However, we, or should I say I, because I am the Home Genie, found an interesting place for us to try for dinner this weekend.

Winner, Winner!

This is why we have to do. Not sure how many more times we can round up all 4 of us that doesn't fall on high season pricing. And even with low season pricing, SC is becoming more and more out of reach these days. Not that we got a bargain at all on this cabin, but we are going to do it now while we still can. Because it might literally not happen again.

There's always gotta be one in the group lol

We don't come across the shenanigans that some of you do lol, only cancelled flights 😬 but thank you, hoping for smooth travels and sailing all the way through!

It's not the ATS this time, but there quite a few ATS in the future. I have to leave room to add on more freeloaders possibly, omg, I cannot believe I am even admitting that.

I just wanted you to know I live 10 Minutes away from Sawgrass Mills Mall and I have been eating at La Bamba since I was 6 years old( I am now 37 so over 30 years) There is Most Definitely a La Bamba near Sawgrass Mills. It's literally like 7-8 min away by car. Sawgrass Mills is on a road called Sunrise Blvd. Its Sunrise Blvd and Flamingo Rd.. Well La Bamba is located on Sunrise Blvd and Nob Hill which is literally 3 streets away. Go to the La Bamba website and click on locations and pick the one that says plantation. Look up the address and you can put it into a gps and see how close it is. I just wanted you to know so you could still go to La Bamba if you want to. 

10 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

I just wanted you to know I live 10 Minutes away from Sawgrass Mills Mall and I have been eating at La Bamba since I was 6 years old( I am now 37 so over 30 years) There is Most Definitely a La Bamba near Sawgrass Mills. It's literally like 7-8 min away by car. Sawgrass Mills is on a road called Sunrise Blvd. Its Sunrise Blvd and Flamingo Rd.. Well La Bamba is located on Sunrise Blvd and Nob Hill which is literally 3 streets away. Go to the La Bamba website and click on locations and pick the one that says plantation. Look up the address and you can put it into a gps and see how close it is. I just wanted you to know so you could still go to La Bamba if you want to. 

What?! That is game changer! Going to look it up now....

However…what is weird is that while we were discussing this over dinner, the kids said, “What if it’s not as good as the 17th St. location?” and I sort of feel like we are cheating on the 17th St. location. 😂 But Hubby said we were all being silly and we are going! This is our first time going to another location.