"Cruise Big, or Go Home" – OA 3/10/2024-3/17/2024

1 hour ago, Sweety said:

I love your food blog. I can't wait until next year. I will be on Oasis. Portside here I come. Have a joyful cruise.

Forgive the brief hijack, @Lovetocruise2002....but I couldn't remember which thread was the one where we were chatting about BBQ and more specifically, Portside.

I wanted to let @Sweety know that we had Portside last night and it was really good.  The first time we ever had Portside (many years ago, right after the amplification) we had it delivered to our suite and it was pretty...marginal....so I am happy to report that this time, we ate on site and it was really tasty.

It seems that Pinnacles now have a $25 food voucher on Oasis, Quantum and Icon (I think) ships to use at specialty restaurants.  There is some confusion about this as, originally, it was designed to "make up" for the fact that Pinns were being excluded from the CK when numbers were high.  This has, apparently, evolved into a standing "benefit" (who knows for how long) regardless of whether the Pinns are allowed into the CK/SL or not....so we used our vouchers for Portside.  It was a win-win.  Great meal for nothin' !  ...and we still have access to both the CK (exception - breakfast, which we enjoy at Chops) and SL

Just getting caught up and I believe you had the right amount of luggage. A carry-on and backpack plus one checked bag is appropriate.

I can spend hours in a bookstore but I have become a kindle convert. I love the smell of a fresh book but with all the things I carry, it's not always feasible to carry them.

I am excited for the room pictures after your hotel photos. But what you are experiencing is my nightmare. I often use my hotel loyalty or travel rewards for my hotel stay. I am always anxious that despite having confirmed plans and numbers, I won't have a reservation. I hope everything works out. Just one more day until cruise day😍.

10 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

This made me laugh! We do have bookstores in Canada, but it’s way cheaper in the US. 

Obviously I was kidding but that's interesting.

I like that you'll look to save money on some books while on vacation as you're about to board the suite that you are. Serious comment, not snarky. I'm pretty frugal in all aspects of life and yes we book interiors but if I was truly that cheap I wouldn't have continued booking cruises as prices just got higher and higher (the Utopia B2B's I just booked are significantly more than my Wonders, some of which were already pretty high). Some things are just worth spending extra on for various reasons.

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Forgive the brief hijack, @Lovetocruise2002....but I couldn't remember which thread was the one where we were chatting about BBQ and more specifically, Portside.

I wanted to let @Sweety know that we had Portside last night and it was really good.  The first time we ever had Portside (many years ago, right after the amplification) we had it delivered to our suite and it was pretty...marginal....so I am happy to report that this time, we ate on site and it was really tasty.

It seems that Pinnacles now have a $25 food voucher on Oasis, Quantum and Icon (I think) ships to use at specialty restaurants.  There is some confusion about this as, originally, it was designed to "make up" for the fact that Pinns were being excluded from the CK when numbers were high.  This has, apparently, evolved into a standing "benefit" (who knows for how long) regardless of whether the Pinns are allowed into the CK/SL or not....so we used our vouchers for Portside.  It was a win-win.  Great meal for nothin' !  ...and we still have access to both the CK (exception - breakfast, which we enjoy at Chops) and SL

My mouth is watering.

23 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

Those club level pics of intercontinental look very nice. I mentioned this hotel to my wife as an option based on y’all’s recs but it appears we have stayed with Hampton inn brickell again. Oh well. 

I love the Hampton Brickell!  So many places to walk to!  It’s a very interesting area.  And this particular one has a breakfast that is just perfect!  Umm, not so at the one in San Antonio I stayed in a few weeks ago with my granddaughter! 

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

I like that you'll look to save money on some books while on vacation as you're about to board the suite that you are.

We are frugal in most other areas of life lol

34 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

Those club level pics of intercontinental look very nice. I mentioned this hotel to my wife as an option based on y’all’s recs but it appears we have stayed with Hampton inn brickell again. Oh well. 

This hotel beautiful. I am not a fan of the Brickell area. I’ve pretty much written it off. 

@Lovetocruise2002I’m on this cruise too with DH, DS17 and DD12.  It’s been a while since I’ve been on RCBlog but I’m glad you are having a better start than us.  Our flight was cancelled after a few delays this morning.  Being spring break there was no availability on any airline to Miami or FLL, so we rented a car and driving about 15 hours to Miami.  This cruise we’ll only be in a JS and I’ll miss the suite deck around the pool.  Hoping we can get into CK for dinner a few nights. 

17 minutes ago, melski94 said:

@Lovetocruise2002I’m on this cruise too with DH, DS17 and DD12.  It’s been a while since I’ve been on RCBlog but I’m glad you are having a better start than us.  Our flight was cancelled after a few delays this morning.  Being spring break there was no availability on any airline to Miami or FLL, so we rented a car and driving about 15 hours to Miami.  This cruise we’ll only be in a JS and I’ll miss the suite deck around the pool.  Hoping we can get into CK for dinner a few nights. 

OMG….this is horrific.  Please be safe on your drive down.  You still have your return flight though, yes ?

38 minutes ago, melski94 said:

Godspeed! Wishing you a safe journey without further delays!

Finally got a chance to read all of this! I agree with @TheBoss518, that's not nearly enough luggage, and like @asquared17 said....I don't think the weighted blanket is ever staying home again. 

I hope you do get all the hotel nonsense taken care of. I agree with whoever said the first people you dealt with just didn't want to deal with the issue and fix it....

Have a great dinner at the other La Bamba!!

I cant wait to follow along here.....When @TheBoss518 makes me book a RLS, I will be sure to blame you🤣

I'm sure there are more things I had wanted to comment on, but I've lost track of everything already🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, melski94 said:

Oh no! I have been seeing all day on the roll call group that people’s flights have been cancelled or delayed. There are so many people driving in. I was just saying to Hubby and the kids that I feel for all these people because I know what that feels like. Drive safe! 

1 hour ago, bellemiche said:

@melski94I'm so sorry! @Lovetocruise2002 knows too well about flight cancelations. Safe travels to you! 

I know. I feel for everyone big time! It’s terrible and stressful. 

43 minutes ago, GregD said:

hope you do get all the hotel nonsense taken care of. I agree with whoever said the first people you dealt with just didn't want to deal with the issue and fix it....

I hope too for no surprises at check out tomorrow. At this point, we are all ready to just go see Shane! 

3 hours ago, GregD said:

don't think the weighted blanket is ever staying home again. 

16 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

changed my life like the cup clip!!!!! 

I can safely say that I don’t need either. And Hubby would not be happy with me at all if we added those items in. See, @OCSC Mike, that’s another area that we are frugal. Not paying for more than one checked bag lol

By around 4pm, everyone was shopped out, and tired, so we headed to La Bamba!!! Best part of the day. I tried something different tonight. I got the fish tacos and really liked it. Usually, the chimichanga is my go to, but I wasn’t feeling it today. Thank you to @LandstromCruise and @AGSLC5 for leading us this way. The family sends their thanks as well. 
IMG_0389.thumb.jpeg.bb3aeb2a24ff7d5674d48427b3fef5df.jpeg

356fb330-c72a-44b9-8ba0-534f355b1278.thumb.jpeg.615469f88811452cc89111a133ead68b.jpeg

After La Bamba, we grabbed a Lyft and headed back to Miami. By the time we got back, the girls and Hubby decided to take a stroll through Bayside Park. I decided to stay behind because not only was I super tired by this point (did not get much sleep last night), but with only one bathroom, we needed to get moving for bed. We move forward an hour tonight and we don’t plan to leave the hotel too late tomorrow. Hoping no surprises await us at check out.

IMG_0385.thumb.jpeg.f465b2b52eb73bf867546050a99a035f.jpeg

IMG_0387.thumb.jpeg.0f1ff8e2743a0110668698df3afb24c3.jpeg

Tomorrow the plan is to check out of here around 9:45am. Trying to leave some buffer time in case we need to sort anything else out with the charges.

Shane has already set up a WhatsApp chat with us. Every genie is different. Some don’t do it until the morning of the cruise, some do it way ahead of time, and Shane set it up today. 

I am so excited for tomorrow. I cannot even put it in words. Today, over dinner, I was telling the family that all day long, I was just thinking of lying out on that balcony. One more day…😌

12 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Caption this:

See, since you didn't buy anything that allowed me to get an extra thing....and then there was a coupon if we spent this amount, so I haaaaad to get another thing to save that money, and since we saved that money, I was able to get another thing!!

girl math

24 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Recapping the day…

In the words of D17, today was a good day. We spent most of our day at Sawgrass Mills. That mall is big! Hubby, and both kids all came back with something. I was “saving” Hubby money and got nothing 😉

Caption this:

IMG_0390.jpeg

"Look, it's not as expensive as Daddy's Flowrider board, I don't understand why you're giving me that look."

3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I have been seeing all day on the roll call group that people’s flights have been cancelled or delayed.

*I'm* getting stressed from all of that information because I have to fly Southwest tomorrow. 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞 that all of those issues are rectified by tomorrow morning, and 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞 that all those people driving make it to Miami safely.

8 minutes ago, Cactus527 said:

*I'm* getting stressed from all of that information because I have to fly Southwest tomorrow. 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞 that all of those issues are rectified by tomorrow morning, and 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞 that all those people driving make it to Miami safely.

It’s bad! There are so many in our roll call group who have been affected! I lost count early on today how many there were. Lots from Dallas, Vegas, BWI, Atlanta, etc., all over the place pretty much. Flight aware showed as the day progressed how backed up air traffic was. I checked what the status of our flights would have been had we flown today. All 3 flights from DTW-MIA today experienced delays of a couple of hours. This is reaffirms my new plan to get in two days early. I hope @melski94 and everyone else makes it. There are a lot of people who ended up having to drive. With the loss of one hour tonight, that cannot help.