Would you like to buy a bag ?

Qeyton Dude

For me personally RCCL has reached a new low. I fully understand they are in debt due to COVID, but where they are choosing to nickel and dime us has reached a new low.  Just got off Wonder on Sunday, and while shopping at the ‘all things RCCL logo store’, during checkout, with my arms full of T-shirts, magnets, and key chains, he sprung the question. Would I like to buy a bag for $1.x9 (don't recall exact change amount due to shock, .29, .49 ....)?  I said "no thanks" assuming it was some sort of a branded item.  He handed me the pile of loose items back to me and said "next".    Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, and don't be surprised when next time they ask for your key card when you stop by Sprinkles for a miniature soft serve cone.....

My county recently put into effect that businesses aren't allowed to give plastic bags for purchases anymore unless they charge for it. They're attempting to reduce plastic in the world. Most places are only charging 5 cents per bag. But it was a shock when it went into affect without much notice, especially when I had a cart full of things and my reusable bags were at home. I can see charging 5-10 cents for a plastic bag but not over a dollar.

1 hour ago, Qeyton Dude said:

For me personally RCCL has reached a new low. I fully understand they are in debt due to COVID, but where they are choosing to nickel and dime us has reached a new low.  Just got off Wonder on Sunday, and while shopping at the ‘all things RCCL logo store’, during checkout, with my arms full of T-shirts, magnets, and key chains, he sprung the question. Would I like to buy a bag for $1.x9 (don't recall exact change amount due to shock, .29, .49 ....)?  I said "no thanks" assuming it was some sort of a branded item.  He handed me the pile of loose items back to me and said "next".    Anyway, thanks for letting me vent, and don't be surprised when next time they ask for your key card when you stop by Sprinkles for a miniature soft serve cone.....

I bet if you had said 'nevermind, I am not going to buy my arm full of t-shirts, magnets, and key chains'... they would have given the bag.  Frankly, as consumers, this probably what we all need to do.    

Charging for bags, whether plastic or paper, has been standard practice here in Portugal for quite some time now, so I wouldn't have batted an eyelid if this happened to me in the store on board. I always carry a reusable bag with me in my handbag wherever I go just in case I make an unexpected purchase. It's all about reducing waste and being friendly to the environment. Of course, it comes as a shock the first time you encounter it but it doesn't take long to get used to it.

1 hour ago, Peter D said:

I bet if you had said 'nevermind, I am not going to buy my arm full of t-shirts, magnets, and key chains'... they would have given the bag.  Frankly, as consumers, this probably what we all need to do.    

I would then follow-up with an email to the company leadership, FB and Twitter posts to let them know they lost out on a xxx.xx amount of sales due to the nickel-and-dime attempt to charge for a bag at the point of sale.

2 hours ago, JimnKathy said:

I would then follow-up with an email to the company leadership, FB and Twitter posts to let them know they lost out on a xxx.xx amount of sales due to the nickel-and-dime attempt to charge for a bag at the point of sale.

It's not a nickel and dime thing. It's a "save the waves" thing.

16 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Stores in my state charge for plastic bags. Some don't offer them at all anymore leading up to a new law next year that bans them completely.

And to think - as recently as five years ago the default was plastic bags and you had to specifically request a paper bag.

Ironic. Save the trees was the reason offered for the introduction of plastic bags; yet a paper bag will break down and degrade in a landfill.

Last sea day on Mariner, I was on our balcony and watched as a plastic bag took flight from somewhere above and forward from our cabin.  Sailed way up in the ship's air draft until it cleared the stern.....then unceremoniously crashed into the wake to begin its drift for how long and who knows where.

50 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Wonder how long it will be before there are no hand baskets left at the grocery stores because people used them to transport their purchases home.

FUNNY you should say that. My local supermarkets have done away with hand baskets... and now I'm thinking THAT'S why! 

1 hour ago, CanHardlyWait said:

I shop at Aldi and you buy reusable bags. It's Ecco friendly etc. Have tons in trunk of car. But in a store, on a ship, ahhhh just give me a plastic bag. LOL.

How 'bout "I'll be right back. Hold off on charging to my account while I go back to my room and grab a bag, but I don't want to wait in line again so just keep this transaction open."