Weeks with less kids onboard?

Looking at traveling on Anthem leaving the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Since schools aren't out and it's after the holiday break, are there generally less kids on the ship? I know RCCL's goal is to sail full and of course there will be some people that pull kids from school or have younger kids not in school but was hoping for a week where there weren't tons of kids running around. 

Yes.  Off peak is off peak because fewer people are booking cruises.  That includes families with kids in school.

Off peak is typically right after Labor day, between Thanksgiving and mid-December,  much of January, then a smaller deviation from peak after Easter through to late May/early June when schools are out for the summer.

6 hours ago, Floatingby said:

Looking at traveling on Anthem leaving the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Since schools aren't out and it's after the holiday break, are there generally less kids on the ship? I know RCCL's goal is to sail full and of course there will be some people that pull kids from school or have younger kids not in school but was hoping for a week where there weren't tons of kids running around. 

I usually cruise the first 2 weeks of December.  Better fares and less kids. 

17 hours ago, twangster said:

Off peak is typically right after Labor day, between Thanksgiving and mid-December,  much of January, then a smaller deviation from peak after Easter through to late May/early June when schools are out for the summer.

Kids sail free promo “killed” ”  the first week of May this year on  Oasis.  Same week last year kids were not noticeable, this year the amount of strollers, double wide and double length, as well as walking kids was off the charts.  Someone had their kid on a trike in Central Park-ingenious-but very difficult to pass when they zig zagged on the narrow path,  there also seemed to be an explosion of wheelchair and scooter users-no doubt thinking they booked when there were less kids.  Elevator usage was extremely trying with all of the  “wheels” vying to get in. 
I seriously wonder how they parents liked their vacations though-it seemed like do much work -hardly any of them of them appeared happy. 
I will say it was more pleasant having the littles onboard at night, as opposed to the roving bands of mischievous teens at night during Presidents week or the teens who feel the need to press every elevator button…. 

I normally sail in Jan just after new years and it was usually children quiet but whew this year fell on president's day and a teachers holiday so it was crazy. Parents decided KSF deal was worth pulling them out for the 3 days. KSF has effectively ruined the shoulder months. I can see it being the case that Sept and Feb will only be the shoulder season.

Also keep in mind the pandemic changed a lot of learning schedules. Many parents turned to home schooling and some schools allow for remote learning, which means more families can take advantage of the deals and promotions not available in summer.

We only sail during the school year...its the only way we can afford it. Went this Past Jan\February and going again this October. We have decided taking the kid out of school for a few days is worth it to us so we can all enjoy a vacation together. It was nice, because there were kids, but not so many that it would be too much (even parents don't like be overcrowded with other kids!) 

19 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Also keep in mind the pandemic changed a lot of learning schedules. Many parents turned to home schooling and some schools allow for remote learning, which means more families can take advantage of the deals and promotions not available in summer.

As a proud 8th grade public school teacher, I agree many parents think remote learning is still alive and well. This is not the case anymore though. We did offer a remote option during the pandemic. Now students need to come after school to make up missed time post vacation. Most just don't do this. I do understand the tug and pull as a parent and teacher about missing time for vacations. I just don't want you good folks to thing remote learning has solved this issue. One final observation on remote learning is that our most needy students fell the farthest behind during the pandemic. Not because of poor instruction but because of the self discipline remote learning requires.  We cruise during school vacation but as teachers like children and even teens, so no worries for us. When we retire we would like to try a no kids cruise. 

9 minutes ago, foxrunner said:

As a proud 8th grade public school teacher, I agree many parents think remote learning is still alive and well. This is not the case anymore though.

Fellow 8th grade teacher here ❤️

I think what Ampurp may be referring to is the option to go fully virtual, which does still remain some places.

But I have noticed a decent number of traditional students miss a week or more at a time during non-holidays for vacations, certainly more so than in the past. Probably not a significant enough rate to make a difference on any particular sailing, but an interesting anecdote. 

7 minutes ago, ZBrady said:

I think what Ampurp may be referring to is the option to go fully virtual, which does still remain some places.

But I have noticed a decent number of traditional students miss a week or more at a time during non-holidays for vacations, certainly more so than in the past. Probably not a significant enough rate to make a difference on any particular sailing, but an interesting anecdote. 

Yep, we skipped a week this school year and doing again at the start of next school year. We let the teachers know a few weeks in advance, and tell them we don't expect them to go out of their way to make sure he is caught up. He goes back with a little knowledge about the ship and the islands we visited, and  I chalk it up to real life experience and family time, and just accept the fact that he might miss a lesson or two in class. 

@ScottD You nailed it! Education is largely about the overall formative experience over 13+ years, not necessarily any particular lesson or unit or course. I say all the time - if you are someone that is asking what their kid needs to do to make up what they missed, you are already doing enough.

Now back to your regularly scheduled avoiding children programming.

2 hours ago, foxrunner said:

As a proud 8th grade public school teacher

2 hours ago, ZBrady said:

Me too! Did not know that there were other 8th Grade teachers around here. I adore that age group.

I agree with what others have said, there is lots to be learned outside of the classroom as well. When my kids were not in high school, and I was on my off years, we used to pull them out the week or two before Christmas to cruise. There are usually not too many kids around that time. I would think that September and early January would be good for less kids as well.

Since my kids have entered high school, we are back to the high cost, full of kids cruises. When I retire in 6-7 years, Hubby and I will steer clear of all summer and school break cruises. I cannot wait.

1 minute ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

When I retire in 6-7 years, Hubby and I will steer clear of all summer and school break cruises. I cannot wait.

My wife is also a teacher (8th grade, as well 🤣). We have a bit longer until retirement; but we also talk all the time about how retirement will open up way more cruises for us. Both time of year and length. We’ll be putting that state pension to use, that’s for sure lol.

Shout out to all the teachers, you have a patience I cannot fathom.

But yes I meant lots of parents, the ones I talk to on cruises, say they ofter have the children bring a packet to keep up with school work. I consider that remote learning. I definitely believe that remote learning during the pandemic really messed up a lot of children because school provides structure. But nothing could be said of real world experiences, we learn everyday or we should be striving to.

3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Me too! Did not know that there were other 8th Grade teachers around here. I adore that age group.

I agree with what others have said, there is lots to be learned outside of the classroom as well. When my kids were not in high school, and I was on my off years, we used to pull them out the week or two before Christmas to cruise. There are usually not too many kids around that time. I would think that September and early January would be good for less kids as well.

Since my kids have entered high school, we are back to the high cost, full of kids cruises. When I retire in 6-7 years, Hubby and I will steer clear of all summer and school break cruises. I cannot wait.

I also teach 8th grade and 7th grade ( can teach 5-12 -love HS)

On 5/20/2023 at 12:46 PM, ScottD said:

We only sail during the school year...its the only way we can afford it. Went this Past Jan\February and going again this October. We have decided taking the kid out of school for a few days is worth it to us so we can all enjoy a vacation together. It was nice, because there were kids, but not so many that it would be too much (even parents don't like be overcrowded with other kids!) 

I totally get that. When my son was younger we pulled him the few times we did Disney to try to avoid some of the crowds and long lines and it was great! This will be my first adults only trip in a long time!

2 hours ago, Floatingby said:

I totally get that. When my son was younger we pulled him the few times we did Disney to try to avoid some of the crowds and long lines and it was great! This will be my first adults only trip in a long time!

As much as I'd love to do that, our kid has such a blast on his first cruise, he'd be devastated if he found out we did one without him, lol. 

48 minutes ago, ScottD said:

As much as I'd love to do that, our kid has such a blast on his first cruise, he'd be devastated if he found out we did one without him, lol. 

Not sure how old yours are. Mine used to be that way but at almost 18 he's got a lot going on with school, sports, friends and stuff so he will come on the summer vacation but not this one.

8 hours ago, Floatingby said:

Not sure how old yours are. Mine used to be that way but at almost 18 he's got a lot going on with school, sports, friends and stuff so he will come on the summer vacation but not this one.

He's 11 so he still enjoys us, lol...I'm sure when hes closer to 18 he won't mind staying home here and there! 

This is a question I've never really understood. If you want fewer kids on the boat (and that's totally fine -- I get why you would want a more adult vibe), then why wouldn't you just cruise Celebrity (Royal's sister brand targeted more towards adults) or Virgin (where they have brand new ships and there are literally no kids allowed)?

Royal is a cruise line targeted to families. They have carousels and giant slides on their boats! 

I totally, totally understand wanting an adult vacation without kids running around. But then why not just go with one of your equivalent options that would significantly minimize your concerns without having to worry about sailing at an off-peak time?

14 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

This is a question I've never really understood. If you want fewer kids on the boat (and that's totally fine -- I get why you would want a more adult vibe), then why wouldn't you just cruise Celebrity (Royal's sister brand targeted more towards adults) or Virgin (where they have brand new ships and there are literally no kids allowed)?

Royal is a cruise line targeted to families. They have carousels and giant slides on their boats! 

I totally, totally understand wanting an adult vacation without kids running around. But then why not just go with one of your equivalent options that would significantly minimize your concerns without having to worry about sailing at an off-peak time?

I said this exact thing in another thread... you are boarding a ship with water slides, carousels, bumper cars and candy stores... it's literally screaming "there WILL be kids on the ship" 

27 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

For several decades Royal didn't have all that.   Water slides, the big full sized slides didn't exist until Liberty added some and Harmony was launched with them in 2016 just seven years ago.  Contrast that to the creation of the company fifty five years ago.

Royal has changed substantially over the past six to seven years and shifted into the kid first cruise line it is becoming with the latest class, Icon of the Seas.

Many return guests are long time customers that have sailed many ships no longer in the fleet.  They are vested heavily into the loyalty program.  It will take time for these long time customers to accept that Royal has changed and most of that change has been more recent.  They didn't change, Royal did. 

This was their "go to" cruise line.  They were loyal to Royal.  It will take them time to transition to a new go to cruise line.   

I would like to point out that as a 30-something adult, water slides, carousels, and bumper cars make me excited to cruise. You don't have to be a kid to enjoy these things. But I also understand that not everyone who is an adult enjoys those things and that with those things, that means there will be kids on the ship. And I'm okay with that.

18 minutes ago, ScottD said:

you are boarding a ship with water slides, carousels, bumper cars and candy stores... it's literally screaming "there WILL be kids on the ship" 

My wife is a teacher (bit of a trend in this thread) and thus we cruise almost exclusively with tons of kids during the summer and the occasional spring break. It's never really bothered us and one reason is correlated to the above.

Because there are lots of families with kids, they congregate to the above locations. This leaves locations we frequent like the Solarium no more crowded than at any other time and perhaps even less so. We don't even use the Solarium to get away from kids, I just need shade and we prefer the smaller, quieter venue to the chaos of the main pool.

TBH, I'm not a huge fan of crowds of any age. Kids on the ship only bother me when they REALLY misbehave... same for adults.

I also think that in modern times we see more entitled parents allowing their entitled children to run around unabated. 

I'm going to sound old here, and that's because I am, but when I was a kid my parents would never let me behave they way that is commonplace for kids to behave today.  When I was a parent with younger children I didn't let them behave the way we see parents allow kids to behave today. 

Combined with Royal's recent shift to becoming a child first cruise line AND the shift in society where entitled parents don't care about things like adult only solarium rules,  it's a double whammy.   Adults used to have areas to escape them.  Now, not so much.

Royal is transitioning from a family friendly cruise line to an entitled family friendly cruise line.

I completely understand why some people still want to experience all that Royal's newer ships have to offer adults but they are seeking off peaks times to do so.

They are not demanding that Royal change, they are trying to adapt their vacation to cruise when it can work best for them.  For that they should be applauded not criticized. 

54 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

On this cruise it's because we're going with a group who invited us along but I don't dislike kids and am not looking for an adults only vacation. My question was simply asking if there would be less onboard during this week. Perhaps I was hoping for a shorter line at the giant slide.

41 minutes ago, smost said:

I would like to point out that as a 30-something adult, water slides, carousels, and bumper cars make me excited to cruise. You don't have to be a kid to enjoy these things. But I also understand that not everyone who is an adult enjoys those things and that with those things, that means there will be kids on the ship. And I'm okay with that.

It's fine for adults to enjoy those things. My point is, they're put there to attract kids and families. Families and kids is Royal's target. Hence why Celebrity and Virgin don't have those things. If, as an adult, you want to go to Disney World and stand in line to meet Mickey, go ahead. But if the park wasn't targeting kids, Mickey wouldn't be there in the first place.

44 minutes ago, twangster said:

For several decades Royal didn't have all that.   Water slides, the big full sized slides didn't exist until Liberty added some and Harmony was launched with them in 2016 just seven years ago.  Contrast that to the creation of the company fifty five years ago.

Royal has changed substantially over the past six to seven years and shifted into the kid first cruise line it is becoming with the latest class, Icon of the Seas.

Many return guests are long time customers that have sailed many ships no longer in the fleet.  They are vested heavily into the loyalty program.  It will take time for these long time customers to accept that Royal has changed and most of that change has been more recent.  They didn't change, Royal did. 

This was their "go to" cruise line.  They were loyal to Royal.  It will take them time to transition to a new go to cruise line.   

Celebrity matches Royal C&A levels for anything Platinum or above. So anyone who has invested time and money into gaining Royal status can sail with Celebrity, avoid most of the kids, but still get their loyalty benefits. 

@twangster Hit the nail on the head. It is always the entitled parents, children and folks in general that make me seek out non-peak cruises. 

3 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

Celebrity matches Royal C&A levels for anything Platinum or above. So anyone who has invested time and money into gaining Royal status can sail with Celebrity, avoid most of the kids, but still get their loyalty benefits. 

The loyalty offering is nowhere near the same.

11 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

With Celebrity's focus on Always Included fares they tend to be quite costly.  With the focus on AI they have reduced their loyalty program to the point most Celebrity regulars consider the only meaningful benefit to be laundry.  So even if you find a NOPERKS rate, their loyalty program has been watered down on the premise that everyone has AI.

The status recognition looks great on paper but isn't all that for many cruisers.  It also caps at Elite. 

25 minutes ago, twangster said:

I also think that in modern times we see more entitled parents allowing their entitled children to run around unabated. 

I'm going to sound old here, and that's because I am, but when I was a kid my parents would never let me behave they way that is commonplace for kids to behave today.  When I was a parent with younger children I didn't let them behave the way we see parents allow kids to behave today. 

Combined with Royal's recent shift to becoming a child first cruise line AND the shift in society where entitled parents don't care about things like adult only solarium rules,  it's a double whammy.   Adults used to have areas to escape them.  Now, not so much.

Royal is transitioning from a family friendly cruise line to an entitled family friendly cruise line.

I completely understand why some people still want to experience all that Royal's newer ships have to offer adults but they are seeking off peaks times to do so.

They are not demanding that Royal change, they are trying to adapt their vacation to cruise when it can work best for them.  For that they should be applauded not criticized. 

I think this is perfectly reasonable. I wouldn't fault anyone for choosing to go when there are going to be fewer kids if you are cruising Royal either way and aren't taking kids along. 

The entitlement thing I haven't seen much though. We've done 3 Royal cruises in the past year, and we sailed on Wonder this past Spring Break. It was obviously full of kids. But I wouldn't say I ever felt like people were letting their kids go too crazy or weren't parenting sufficiently. At no point did I feel like people were acting entitled, at least from the standpoint of what they were allowing their kids to do or how they were allowing them to act. I think people annoyed by the % of kids and families on Royal are perhaps hypersensitive to it because they have a beef with the increasing number of kids to begin with. 

Overall, I've felt like the kids on cruises we've been on over the past couple years have been overwhelmingly well-behaved. 

The other point I'd like to make is this...

Everyone repeats the tag line that Royal is a family cruise line.  Yet the make up of cabins on all classes before Icon is hardly family friendly. 

Double occupancy cabins for two guests dominate Royal ships.  Cabins for families, those that accept 3 or 4, or more than 4 guests are a minority.    They often sell at a premium. 

So while the activities are geared for families, the ship cabins are not.

5 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

I think this is perfectly reasonable. I wouldn't fault anyone for choosing to go when there are going to be fewer kids if you are cruising Royal either way and aren't taking kids along. 

Totally agree with this.  Everyone should cruise at a time they feel is best for them.  Times with fewer kids also tend to be less peak times which is also better.

I've certainly seen screwing around by kids, but the worst behavior I witness is always adults.  People tend to get upset with bad behavior from children because there is an expectation that someone should be controlling them.  With adults, they are fully autonomous and the bad behavior then is just a person being rude or a jerk and not extended to the entire age group.

53 minutes ago, twangster said:

This is very true.  I have nothing against families going on a cruise as I have 5 kids myself -- most of them are older now and some have started families of their own.  When my wife and I want a more adult cruise, we pick older ships -- Grandeur is one of our favorites for this type of intimate atmosphere with a focus on "us".  It is older, but it has a fraction of the capacity and no real attractions for kids besides a climbing wall.  Service onboard seems a little more personal too, perhaps because of the smaller passenger base.  But it does admittedly lack in some areas like restaurants, show variety, and a Promenade.  It is showing her age, and Royal did try to sell her off once, so not sure how much longer she will remain in the Royal fleet.  I was a little sad when she moved homeport away from Galveston at the end of last year.

We do newer ships when we want a little more onboard adventure, whether with the kids, grandkids or by ourselves.  I love the flow rider and my wife likes the zip lines.  And the kids and I like ice skating and riding bumper cars together.  The newer ships bring with them a lot of attractions, and these attractions attract lots of families -- almost like a theme park at sea.  We always expect there will be kids on the newer ships regardless of when it sails and just accept it.

There is nothing quite like settling down in the solarium with a book then 10 minute later that little voice repeating...

"Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  Mom!.  ... "