Royal Caribbean Endless Last Minute Policy Changes and What You Can Do

1 hour ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Well Matt....You know what you can do with your opinion.

That’s a yikes from me 😬

FWIW if your mindset is poor it can be hard to enjoy even the best events, so I kind of get it.

Personally, even though it’s a sunk cost I’d still board and get my moneys worth from free (and prepared for me) food and other amenities, even if the perceived value for my money has diminished for the cruise overall. Like probably the only reason I wouldn’t board is if I knew I was going to be locked in my room the entire time.

1 hour ago, CanHardlyWait said:

But yes NOBODY will be getting tips this week. 

I made it to Florida and DH and I have fought non stop for 2 days over this. He is determined to not let his money get wasted. If Royal Caribbean wants Very Unhappy Guests due to there cut backs, here they come.

As for myself I have decided not to go. Too much negativity. This is NOT the trip I purchased a year ago!!!!! Haven't been anywhere since 2011 and it will take years to be able to save for another trip, but I just am not in the mindset to make this work anymore. So ultimately no tips from me. No additional purchases. The gravy train stops here Royal. 

As for DH. I wouldn't count on anything but attitude and unhappiness. He is very very angry. He feels also feels Royal took our money then cut back everything. He thinks we should be grandfathered in to how things were at final payment. Any cut backs after that date should not be our problem. Like pre tipping old amount of $14 instead of $16 if paid by certain date etc. But after that how to handle the rest we no longer agree. I'm done trying to feel anything but disgusted at Royal Caribbean. Now I have to figure out how to get home as cheap as possible. I'm in no mood to make lemonade. I just give up. So folks NO TIPS ANYWAY!!!!

The End.

Honestly, you staying home might be best for everyone else on the cruise, including the staff. Sounds like you were going in looking for nothing but negatives and weren't going to be swayed. Unfortunately, sounds like your husband is still going with the purpose of making a point to the people that don't deserve it. I hope he gets on and its the best trip he ever had, and he wonders why the two of you have been so negative for months before even boarding. You not going is just silly and a waste of money. You sound hard to please, you'd rather just throw away your money rather than even give the cruise a chance to impress you. 

@CanHardlyWaitI hope after a night of rest that you have changed your mind and will go on the cruise with your husband.  I cruise because if it's a 3 day/4 day/7 day or even an 8 day cruise I am so refreshed.  I don't drink but I just love the Solarium and laying on a lounger while enjoying the warm feeling.

Since you have spent all this money I would suggest you rethink your options and if you don't want to cruise then how about a hotel for the week since you have come so far ?   There are options and I hope that a restful night, a good breakfast and Florida sunshine will give you a direction that will make you happy.  Love to you and your husband and safe travel.

WOW !  Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face !  If Royal Caribbean is truly the object of enmity here then you have just handed them the ultimate "win" !  They keep your money and you get nothing but unhappiness and resentment.

I wish you and your husband full healing and a quick and joyous emotional turnaround.  I have been perpetually unhappy before....and it's not healthy.  I hope it all changes for you very soon.

Then there's this. In the ticket  contract is language to the effect that at their sole discretion, RCCL can change terms/conditions of the contract and sailing at any time without notice. Just like Carnival, Celebrity, HAL, Virgin, Disney, MSC, Princess............

I never set foot on a cruise ship til 2022, but I certainly know these times aren't like 2019.

Carnival collateralized 17 ships across its brands to borrow money to stay in operation. RCCL took on considerable debt in the form of high yield corporate bonds (AKA Junk Bonds) with short maturities paying 12% yields to bondholders "to keep the lights on". NCL, similar debt assumption. All made staffing reductions, including crews cuts to minimum levels to tend to laid up ships. Commodities costs are still all over the map, most still trending higher. When a cruise line goes grocery shopping, it ain't with a cart in the  nearest Wally World. Its measured in semi-loads per ship and barge loads of fuel. These companies feel the same pain each of us do, only in greater magnitude. Amazing the Southern District Bankruptcy Court in Miami isn't wall to wall with cruise line attorneys filing Chapter 11 (or worse) petitions yet. 

But OP, do what you gotta do................

2 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

I made it to Florida and DH and I have fought non stop for 2 days over this. He is determined to not let his money get wasted. If Royal Caribbean wants Very Unhappy Guests due to there cut backs, here they come.

Pro Tip: Security onboard will not tolerate arguing, raised voice couples. ANY passenger that picks up their stateroom phone and calls security to report their concern from what they thought they heard walking down a hallway or from the room next door....I guarantee you are going to see an intervention--in force.

Another Pro Tip: Being in Florida you are in the epicenter of bitterness, anger, frustration, and remorseful feelings. I think you should cut bait on your planned cruise vacation and modify your trip by just hanging out in Florida for the week. You'll meet a lot of sympathetic new friends. In the end I'll think the both of you will call it a win. The cruise will just be another time you were ripped off and taken advantage of.

2 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

As for myself I have decided not to go. Too much negativity. This is NOT the trip I purchased a year ago!!!!! Haven't been anywhere since 2011 and it will take years to be able to save for another trip, but I just am not in the mindset to make this work anymore. So ultimately no tips from me. No additional purchases. The gravy train stops here Royal. 

As for DH. I wouldn't count on anything but attitude and unhappiness. He is very very angry. He feels also feels Royal took our money then cut back everything. He thinks we should be grandfathered in to how things were at final payment. Any cut backs after that date should not be our problem. Like pre tipping old amount of $14 instead of $16 if paid by certain date etc. But after that how to handle the rest we no longer agree. I'm done trying to feel anything but disgusted at Royal Caribbean. Now I have to figure out how to get home as cheap as possible. I'm in no mood to make lemonade. I just give up. So folks NO TIPS ANYWAY!!!!

The End.

Someone needs a shot of happy juice!  
Wow…I am so sad to read just how worked up and angry you have gotten yourself!  You are definitely full of negativity so probably a good thing you have decided to not sail…otherwise you would subjecting many innocent people to a week of HELL…from your vibes!  When people (talking about you here) allow their attitudes and unhappiness to take over their world…it’s best they stay clear of the rest of us who want to enjoy life and can take the good with the bad and the ugly with the beautiful.  Life is not a bowl of cherries but heck…I choose to be happy 😃 because…well…why not?

Go home and sulk and be miserable 😩.  Hope you don’t impose your misery on everyone on your way back home!  They don’t deserve it!

4 hours ago, ScottD said:

Honestly, you staying home might be best for everyone else on the cruise, including the staff. Sounds like you were going in looking for nothing but negatives and weren't going to be swayed. Unfortunately, sounds like your husband is still going with the purpose of making a point to the people that don't deserve it. I hope he gets on and its the best trip he ever had, and he wonders why the two of you have been so negative for months before even boarding. You not going is just silly and a waste of money. You sound hard to please, you'd rather just throw away your money rather than even give the cruise a chance to impress you. 

Was going to say the same thing.  Nobody else on that cruise would want you on it either.

Good choice not to go.

I can get angry at a lot of things but then try to rationalize and look for the bright side.  
what are the negatives here
1. the potential for a limit on room service?
2. only one entree at a time in the main dining room?
3. a cutback in room service from twice a day to once a day?
4. gratuity price increase

you’ve not vacationed since 2011….so it would seem had you not been on this forum you would not be aware of these changes. now that you are aware
1. potential change to room service- you can plan accordingly. 
2. a change in the entree serving-again, you can plan…which entree do I want first
3. single service cabin-figure out which works/time frame  best and ask for extra towels.  hotels have pretty much done away with daily fresh towels etc.
4.  gratuity increase noticed were sent to all who had cruises booked and it was discussed on this forum.  All of us had the opportunity to prepay the gratuities and save 10.50 per person so in your case $21. It appears the last increase was in 2018, so essentially 5 years without a raise if you look at it that way. Inflation has been ridiculous and these poor people were unable to work for over a year.-their governments don’t do unemployment’ like we do. No stimulus checks like we do. They need the small piece of pie they get.  

what is the bright side 
You get a vacation, on a scale  of 1-10 that’s a 10-yeah!!
You get to visit the ports, experience the ship, meet new people, see entertainment you don’t get at home, still have unlimited choices at the buffet and main dining room 

Was the room service, old menus and stateroom service the only reasons you booked Royal?  We all know you removed the gratuity-so that negative was addressed.  

it seems you’ve gotten caught up in the experienced cruisers remarks about the changes.  You can’t miss something you’ve never experienced.  I for one won’t miss this room service change as I had stated id never used it before, and  now  likely won’t use it again.

Your decision to not cruise and essentially lose out on your  vacation seems counterintuitive.   You’ll need to find accommodations, purchase food or get yourself home-likely at an increased cost to you. You are missing out on the ability to say “i didn’t miss those things, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be,  and I don’t know why you all were bitching so much”.  

6 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

The End.

This is a great decision, the cruise will be much better without you 

This is one of the oddest rants I’ve read.  I cannot fathom not taking a vacation because of concerns raised by others in blog posts, particularly one that I had already paid for.  I enjoy cruising.  I love being on the ocean.  I love sleeping to the gentle rocking of the ship.  I enjoy exploring the ports.  I like sitting with a book while the ocean goes by.  I enjoy talented musicians every evening.  Once a day service is fine for me, and I have never gotten room service.  To me, the cabins are small for eating.  But,  food is not really my thing.  Even if it were, however, I think I would try the cruise for which I already paid.  

So.... what are we thinking? She made it on the ship? She's sitting at a hotel, miserable while her husband is having the time of his life while making the crew run around for no tips?  They both missed the ship? They are both on board and loving it?  Its all been a giant troll and we all fell for it?  I need to know how it ends!! 

3 hours ago, ScottD said:

So.... what are we thinking? She made it on the ship? She's sitting at a hotel, miserable while her husband is having the time of his life while making the crew run around for no tips?  They both missed the ship? They are both on board and loving it?  Its all been a giant troll and we all fell for it?  I need to know how it ends!! 

I’m with you!  This unhappy saga needs an ending and hopefully @CanHardlyWait will return to this post and let us know.  As @Xaa states…finding peaceful moments would be a gift to embrace.  I just want to know how someone who apparently is wealthy enough to be able to waste so much money could be so miserable to begin with!  

The nature of the cruise cycle can lead to anxiety.

You book a year out and you're all excited and imagine a perfect experience.  You seek information about doing things and then you have some experiences booking things.  You undoubtedly hear about and/or experience things along the way that are lass than the ideal picture we had when we booked.  If we let ourselves, we can focus solely on the things that we expect to be worse than we want without turning around and seeing the mountain of wonderful things that were really the core of why we chose the vacation to begin with.

In some ways it's like a long distance online relationship that seems great, but then anxiety and doubt creep in going toward that first in person real life meeting.

In the case of dating and the cruise, you don't have to want to marry at the conclusion, but you might as well enjoy that next step and make conclusions from that place.  I really hope she took the next step even if Royal Caribbean isn't going to be right for her long term.

2 minutes ago, ZBrady said:

Sure hope Icon doesn't catfish us 😬

We're going to be fine.

@Neesa taught me the way.  Whatever happens, no matter how bad, just say to yourself "This is not going to ruin my cruise".  Just doing that and you'll be amazed at what you can allow to roll off your back freeing you for the enjoyment part.  I also add three deep breaths.  Sometimes just three deep breaths can change everything!

Our biggest problem is that we were both too stupid to book back to backs.  We're going to want another go around.

Every cruise I've ever been on has been different in one way or other, things offered on one might not be offered on others. First Royal cruise I was one had a buffet type setup beside the pool one night at 10pm, haven't seen it since, but it's not something that would let ruin my cruise. Menus have changed a few times, some WJ's are better than others. The handful of changes they've made recently don't bother me and honestly probably won't affect most people in a super negative way. Unless I get asked to go down to the engine room to get on bike to help propel the ship I'm not going to be too upset.

On 5/22/2023 at 8:46 AM, tjcruisers said:

Every cruise I've ever been on has been different in one way or other, things offered on one might not be offered on others. First Royal cruise I was one had a buffet type setup beside the pool one night at 10pm, haven't seen it since, but it's not something that would let ruin my cruise. Menus have changed a few times, some WJ's are better than others. The handful of changes they've made recently don't bother me and honestly probably won't affect most people in a super negative way. Unless I get asked to go down to the engine room to get on bike to help propel the ship I'm not going to be too upset.

ohhh I remember the late night buffets and the ice carving and fruit carvings.  That was an awesome time, however nothing beats the sun, fun and blue blue water!

On 5/22/2023 at 3:52 AM, ScottD said:

So.......drum roll.............

I did it!!!!!!!

I'll get into more post trip. But the psychological effects of many bad hard tight years vs the long anticipation vs reading too much of people's opinions vs the build-up vs the need for it to be perfect after a really long time, etc. Well it made the perfect storm. If it wasn't perfect it at least could have been in my head. Not living up after a decade of not being able to go anywhere was terrifying. You could right a book on it. 

Lots to say. Nothing bad. Will be updating. 

Wasn't planning on buying internet and broke down an hour ago and did. 

Didn't want to deal with the real world (and the cost), but it's hard to not look at your phone. Who sang that song that goes.........etc was driving me crazy. Little things like that get to you.

Unfortunately, the real world came with an issue. The pet hotel left a message that my little 9lb boy is not eating. He gets like that. We told them. 2 pages of typed information and instructions. They know where we are and said they understand if we can't call but they are looking for ideas to get him to eat. We are trying to figure out if with T Mobile and wifi ( if and how ) we can call and potential cost? At sea now. St Thomas tomorrow. DH is messaging with T Mobile rep right now. 

OK he is telling me rep is saying to download whatsapp and we can call over that via wifi and not accrue any costs. This sound right to anyone?

31 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

I did it!!!!!!!

I'll get into more post trip. But the psychological effects of many bad hard tight years vs the long anticipation vs reading too much of people's opinions vs the build-up vs the need for it to be perfect after a really long time, etc. Well it made the perfect storm. If it wasn't perfect it at least could have been in my head. Not living up after a decade of not being able to go anywhere was terrifying. You could right a book on it. 

Didn't want to deal with the real world (and the cost), but it's hard to not look at your phone. Who sang that song that goes.........etc was driving me crazy. Little things like that get to you.

Unfortunately, the real world came with an issue. The pet hotel left a message that my little 9lb boy is not eating. He gets like that. We told them. 2 pages of typed information and instructions. They know where we are and said they understand if we can't call but they are looking for ideas to get him to eat. We are trying to figure out if with T Mobile and wifi ( if and how ) we can call and potential cost? At sea now. St Thomas tomorrow. DH is messaging with T Mobile rep right now. 

OK he is telling me rep is saying to download whatsapp and we can call over that via wifi and not accrue any costs. This sound right to anyone?

Yes you can call via WhatsApp on wifi.  I am glad you went and trusted yourself as opposed to allowing everything on the outside to affect your hard-won vacation.

42 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

I did it!!!!!!!

I am glad you made it on Board.  I have T-Mobile and I am able to use wifi calling natively on both Apple and Android phones.  Find a good nerdy looking young person and ask if they can help you set up wifi calling.  You will not have to pay anything more than what you already have paid for the internet package.  You will be able to call and text just like to normally do without having to load whatsapp.  Just remember to keep you phone in airplane mode while onboard so you don't attach to the ship's cellular service which can be expensive.

Life throws curve balls.  My last cruise had a few hiccups at first, but a quick trip to guest services and all the problems were solved and my wife and I had a great time.  I hope you and your husband do too!

@CanHardlyWait Thank you so much for the update.  I was thinking about you and your husband and just trying to send good thoughts your way whatever you decided.

Sorry about you little doggie not eating but I am sure that they are keeping a close eye one him.

Since your next stop is St. Thomas it is very walkable.  When you get off the ship there are small open air buses that take you downtown for if I remember about $10 each.  Just pay the money because the road is very congested.  Once you are downtown, maybe only a 10 minute ride, there are plenty of shops, restaurants and places just to walk around. 

I hope you have a lovely day and again Thank You for the update !

Sorry, I forgot to add to my post:  we also have T-mobile and texting is free but phone calls are .25 a minute so do what others have said and use that app.  When you get off the ship if you turn your phone off the airplane mode you will get a text message from T-mobile mentioning about the free texting and the fee per minute for calling.

20 minutes ago, Montemy2419 said:

Sorry, I forgot to add to my post:  we also have T-mobile and texting is free but phone calls are .25 a minute so do what others have said and use that app.  When you get off the ship if you turn your phone off the airplane mode you will get a text message from T-mobile mentioning about the free texting and the fee per minute for calling.

If you set up wi-fi calling, you should not have to pay .25 per minute because it uses data over wifi, the same as the app.  it is a setting in your phone.

For Apple phones:

Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling - Apple Support

For Android phones:

How to Enable Wi-Fi Calling on Android (howtogeek.com)

Hope this helps on your next trip.

!'m so glad to see you updated us and I'm really glad you got on the ship! I may have been a little hard on you, but in all reality I was hoping you could get on and just forget everything you read leading up to the trip and I'm happy you did!! You can download whatsapp and use that for no charge with the wifi, you can also enable "wifi calling" on your phone, which others have mentioned. You should be able to ask someone to give you a hand enabling it on your phone if you need assistance...but on most phones it's an option when you pull down the very top of your screen menu.