Reasonable Compensation?

Hi all - just wanted to get your take if you think we were reasonably compensated for our "sh!t-uation" on Grandeur. We just got off today. We treated ourselves to a Grand Suite for a Girls Trip with my mom and sister (I see what y'all mean about once you go Suite go don't go back". Beautiful cabin, we were super excited). Night one, we came back after the show to find brown mystery fluid absolutely pouring down the walls and from the ceiling and a growing puddle on the floor. A veritable 'Sh!t Falls' if you will.

It. Was. DISGUSTING.

After about 30 minutes, maintenance finally responded and started pulling the ceiling apart trying to find the broken pipe. Meanwhile the front desk called us and told us to pack up, they didn't have another suite, but they would put us in another cabin for the night. We quickly threw all our things back in the suitcases, and headed to the new room - a teeny balcony (well, it felt really tiny with 3 of us and 3 huge suitcases and coming from the GS 3 times its's size, but perfectly acceptable if it's just 2 of us and we've been fine in one before). When I asked them to make up the pull out sofa for me, since there were three of us, he looked at me like I had 2 heads. Finally, I convinced him to bring me bedding, which consisted of a single sheet, and a dirty, stinky blanket and no pillow. I made up the bed myself. We could not adjust the temp in the room, so I spent the night huddling under the dirty blanket. The staff seemed shocked that we asked what the status of the suite was and that once it was cleaned up we wanted to move back in. By dinner time we were allowed to move back to the original room, but it was still pretty stinky, it looked clean but was smelly. The curtains were soaked with... (use your imagination) and hadn't been pulled down and replaced, the walls needed wiping down, and the carpet needed better cleaning.

We were trying to see the humor in the 'sh!tuation' and had quite a few laughs, made a lot of poo jokes, etc. The concierge was pleasant and offered us dinner at Chops or Giovanni's which was a nice treat, and assured us there would be some 'compensation. However by Day 3, the whole room was stinky, like raw sewage and stinky feet - and housekeeping kept saying they couldn't clean the carpet because we were staying in the room. I finally put my foot down and said I would rather deal with their noise and the blower than the stench. On day 4 they came and ripped out the carpet, took down the curtains, and finally cleaned the wall behind them.

For all this, on the last evening they offered us 20% FCC - so basically 1 night fare for the night we spent in the other room, with the inadequate bedding and temperature. Is that an amount you would accept for this sh!tuation? Should I press for better resolution? I have to say, this being my 6th RC cruise, and never having been disappointed before - I was really let down this time around. I will also mention, the whole ship was plagued by plumbing issues. The toilets were constantly not flushing, and whole sections of the ship, including ours were without proper working toilets for hours at a time. I get she's old, but the fact that we had a sh!tastic sh!tastrophy INTO our room and it affected our enjoyment of the cruise just really let me down. We still had fun, but I can imagine not everyone has our sense of humor. 

Am I being unreasonable in thinking that maybe it could have been a little more than 20%?

I think you deserve more as well. The issue is it's much more difficult once you leave the ship to accomplish this. You definitely need to stay on top of it and if you can't get anything resolved, get the executive office involved. Who ended up giving you the 20% compensation? Was it the Hotel Director?

I think @WAAAYTOOO has been in a noise situation before and ended up with similar compensation? Perhaps she has some advice?

I third that you should get more - I'd say maybe 50% feels fair. If they knew you wanted to go back to the room you booked then they should have made the better efforts to make it habitable for your arrival BEFORE you moved back in. Not sure who best to contact about it once off ship (as I've never encountered problems in need of fixing) but maybe..juuuust maybe you can talk to the Concierge onboard to get help from the people on ship?

52 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I think @WAAAYTOOO has been in a noise situation before and ended up with similar compensation? Perhaps she has some advice?

We had a noise complaint on OA when she first came back into service after the amplification.  We did receive a 20% FCC but I think 20% was more than fair for our minor inconvenience.  Our situation was nothing nearly as untenable as your situation, which, IMO as a safety professional was truly a health hazard.  If memory serves, I believe @twangsterhad a situation more similar to yours on Enchantment a few years back.

Good luck with getting a more appropriate resolution, @Momof4crazytocruise.  Not sure what recourse you have once you leave the ship, but I hope they reconsider.  Personally, I think 100% of your cruise fare is appropriate !

My advice…send an email to MBayley@rccl.com as soon as possible.  You should receive an acknowledgment email within 2 days.  I went this route when Royal was giving people a hard time about refunds rather than FCC during the height of COVID.  After the first email I was contacted by Mike Bermudez (Mr Bayley’s assistant) and he was excellent with his responses and attention to my issues.

You absolutely deserve better treatment and compensation than what you have received so far!  What a horrible experience.

Good luck and keep us in the loop!

3 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

I wouldn't have left the ship without a better deal. I also would not have willingly gone back to that room before carpet, curtains etc were replaced. That was almost like saying it was good enough and they will hold that against you. Keep trying anyway.

We didn't realize that was all not fully completed before we went back in. We reasonably assumed they had thoroughly cleaned the carpets and changed out the curtains - as was an appropriate response and didn't realize they hadn't until the smell persisted. We thought that as the carpet was drying it would get better - it did not. I have also never encountered anything like this and didn't want to make demands and look like a schmuck like the jerk with his Diamond plus badge abusing the bartender for accidentally not clicking the right button and charging him for a drink instead of using his coupon. 

17 minutes ago, Momof4crazytocruise said:

We didn't realize that was all not fully completed before we went back in. We reasonably assumed they had thoroughly cleaned the carpets and changed out the curtains - as was an appropriate response and didn't realize they hadn't until the smell persisted. We thought that as the carpet was drying it would get better - it did not. I have also never encountered anything like this and didn't want to make demands and look like a schmuck like the jerk with his Diamond plus badge abusing the bartender for accidentally not clicking the right button and charging him for a drink instead of using his coupon. 

Oh but this goes beyond a schmuck at the bar. This was a disaster and a health hazard. Nobody would have blamed you for causing a scene. And screw anyone who would. The problem now is while I never had this problem, I have read plenty of people say once home it's a harder fight. I would hit them by phone, email, letter etc all at once. You deserve so much more. 50% off next cruise minimum. Might have better luck settling for discounts over refunds with RC. There actually is a time and place for being a total and complete B**** lol. I really hope you get something out of them. What happened really stinks. No pun. Best of luck. Let us know.

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

Grandeur is on my bucket list.  I have read wonderful stories about the "Lady G".  I was supposed to be on her farewell sailing in March 2020 but then COVID hit.  It was my first sailing cancelled by COVID.

Now I'm thinking twice about booking on her.  I have a S2S planned with her and the Radiance when they both sail from Tampa in October 2023.

Oh hell no! We got a 25% FCC on symphony when I called and reported a fully burnt cigarette butt on our balcony. My goal in reporting was to hopefully have the captain make an announcement reminding people not to throw lit cigarettes over board (think carnival fire/1 died). 

I’d be pushing for a 50% credit. Agree on contacting Bayley. That’s disgusting! 

11 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

Grandeur is on my bucket list.  I have read wonderful stories about the "Lady G".  I was supposed to be on her farewell sailing in March 2020 but then COVID hit.  It was my first sailing cancelled by COVID.

It was on mine, too. I was surprised at how low key it was compared to Enchantment, activities/party-wise. I nicknamed it the 'Kenny G' cruise because of the smooth jazz atmosphere and lack of party-vibe. Not in a bad way, just not what I had experienced on other ships. 

11 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Oh but this goes beyond a schmuck at the bar. This was a disaster and a health hazard. Nobody would have blamed you for causing a scene. And screw anyone who would. The problem now is while I never had this problem, I have read plenty of people say once home it's a harder fight. I would hit them by phone, email, letter etc all at once. You deserve so much more. 50% off next cruise minimum. Might have better luck settling for discounts over refunds with RC. There actually is a time and place for being a total and complete B**** lol. I really hope you get something out of them. What happened really stinks. No pun. Best of luck. Let us know.

I agree. Unfortunately the didn't give us our letter until we were putting our suitcases out for departure, and there wasn't a lot of time for foot stamping at guest services with all the departure lines settling their tabs. I sent photos and a summary to the email address for Bayley, so we'll see if we get a response. 

1 hour ago, Momof4crazytocruise said:

I agree. Unfortunately the didn't give us our letter until we were putting our suitcases out for departure, and there wasn't a lot of time for foot stamping at guest services with all the departure lines settling their tabs. I sent photos and a summary to the email address for Bayley, so we'll see if we get a response. 

I hope they compensate you with a cruise for your party 100% free.

15 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

@WAAAYTOOO,  I saw you react to my comment.  I just wanted to say that it was your fondness for Lady G that put her on my bucket list.

Ugh.  Sorry…I guess our feelings can change over time !

Let me add that my fondness for Lady G had as much or more to do with the proximity of the Port of Baltimore to my [then] home as it did with the fondness for the ship, herself.  We enjoyed many wonderful cruises on Grandeur b/c it was within driving distance of home.  I’m sure @Momof4crazytocruise’s experience was an isolated unfortunate situation but these kinds of age-related incidents cast a long and unfavorable shadow on its target.  I had a similar reaction to @twangster‘s recounting of an unfortunate incident on Enchantment.  Like it or not, our favorite older ships are going to begin to deteriorate and such incidents will increase in likelihood.  Royal has tried to remove Grandeur from the fleet twice, and reconsidered both times.  It may be time for a third and final move to retire her.  

I consider @Momof4crazytocruise’s recounted experience to be extremely serious and disconcerting.  The experience, as presented, was truly a health hazard.  Under no circumstances should @Momof4crazytocruise’s party have been permitted to return to that suite.  Period.  It had become a biohazard and should have been quarantined and isolated until it was entirely renovated and the source of the hazard, remediated.

I also want to welcome you back to an active member of the blog, @PG Cruiser !  You’ve been missed.

100% refund of cruise fare for this type of “mess”. I have been refunded for a loft suite due to flooding (and that was not poop water). I will PM you an email contact of a corporate contact that has assisted me with that issue and others in the past. At least this gets the ball rolling for you provided you documented it with guest services which it sounds like you have.