My "approved" outlet expander was confiscated

I'm currently on the Adventure of the Seas (8/9 4 nights to Halifax). I brought an "approved" outlet expander - no breaker, no cord, the exact one that Matt recommends. It was confiscated at the home port and they would not let me use it on the cruise. Did the rules change all of a sudden? Or was port and ship security overzealous?

They are adding new crew due to staffing issues. Could be a case of not understanding what is allowed.  I plan on putting my plug in my backpack laptop carrier when not in use. I usually plug my stuff in to charge overnight anyways. Don't want to lose it due to a lack of knowledge on their part. 

1 hour ago, FSUFAN said:

They are adding new crew due to staffing issues. Could be a case of not understanding what is allowed.  I plan on putting my plug in my backpack laptop carrier when not in use. I usually plug my stuff in to charge overnight anyways. Don't want to lose it due to a lack of knowledge on their part. 

i believe the person got it confiscated at boarding in which case it won't matter what bag you put it in as all bags will go through a scanner before embarkation.

On 8/11/2022 at 1:33 PM, Matt G from Staten Island said:

I'm currently on the Adventure of the Seas (8/9 4 nights to Halifax). I brought an "approved" outlet expander - no breaker, no cord, the exact one that Matt recommends. It was confiscated at the home port and they would not let me use it on the cruise. Did the rules change all of a sudden? Or was port and ship security overzealous?

I'm more concerned than other seem to be on where specifically was it confiscated. 

Was it in a checked bag and Royals security saw it when scanning bags? 

Was it in a carry on and the port contract personnel running the scanner detected it?  if so what port did you embark from? (yes I'm to lazy to try to look it up)

Personally I've never had anything questioned, but all eclectic cords for tablets, cell phone chargers etc get bundled togeather in carry on.  YMMV

The adventure is going out of Newark NJ. More then likely the security not knowing the rules. We have one in our travel party requiring oxygen. Have paperwork from royal to bring a portable concentrator. Going out of Newark the security has given us issue with the power cord. When I ask them how do they think it’ll get charged they see the error i their ways  , lol

I have seen a situation where a port security worker/supervisor was adamant about not allowing a certain multi-port device to go through security. The passenger very nicely requested a RC representative. I saw them later and she said a ship’s officer came to security and approved the device.

On 8/12/2022 at 12:45 PM, twangster said:

Who approved it?  

I just meant that it's the kind that RoyalCaribbeanBlog recommends and Amazon says it's "cruise compliant".

On 8/12/2022 at 1:11 PM, Spang1974 said:

Could you please post what brand/model/type was confiscated so that others may avoid your troubles?

I hate to tell you, but it won't be easy to avoid my troubles, because the one I brought was the exact kind that Matt here at RCB recommends!!  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BHVKPC3

Amazon says it's "cruise compliant", and I have used it on several cruises before with no problem. So either the ones Amazon and RoyalCaribbeanBlog say are "compliant" aren't actually compliant, or port security and the Adventure staff messed up - but there's no way to be sure it won't happen to you too, because there is so much inconsistency.

On 8/12/2022 at 6:58 PM, Rackham said:

Was it something like this? 

My general recommendation is because security, in general, isn't going to know what's a surge protector and what is not, pack a multiport USB charger instead of hoping they'll make a call in your favor.

Non-surge.png

This is the exact one!! I got it because Matt here at RCB recommended it. And I have used it on previous cruises.

It seems to me that there is a lot of inconsistency in their protocols - it shouldn't be a crapshoot! I shouldn't have to hope to catch a break. Their rules about what's allowed and what's not should be clear and publicly posted. And Amazon shouldn't be allowed to sell it as "cruise compliant" (and RCB shouldn't recommend them) if the largest cruise line in the world doesn't think it's compliant!

On 8/12/2022 at 6:29 PM, CruiseGus said:

I'm more concerned than other seem to be on where specifically was it confiscated. 

Was it in a checked bag and Royals security saw it when scanning bags? 

Was it in a carry on and the port contract personnel running the scanner detected it?  if so what port did you embark from? (yes I'm to lazy to try to look it up)

Personally I've never had anything questioned, but all eclectic cords for tablets, cell phone chargers etc get bundled togeather in carry on.  YMMV

It was in my carry on and was confiscated by a security guy at the Port in Bayonne. I didn't have any concerns because I had used it on cruises before and it was allegedly "compliant".

If ship security had given it back to me and apologized that the Port security was overzealous, I wouldn't have as much of an issue. But ship security claimed they examined/tested it, and said it was not compliant and I couldn't use it on the cruise. I pointed out that it has the cruise-compliant logo on it, that I had used it on previous cruises - including on that very ship a few weeks earlier - and that I knew for a fact that others on the ship were using it on that same cruise - all to no avail.

I shouldn't have to try to sneak it on board by putting it my checked luggage and hoping it gets through! Either it's compliant or it's not. If it's not, which type of chargers are compliant?? If none of them are, then they need to make that clear in their posted rules.

I'm just asking for consistency - right now it's a pot-luck muddled mess, and that's no way to run a business that is built on hospitality and customer service.

15 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Grrr. Cape Liberty security is the only place that we've ever experienced issues with security. In our case it was a cheapy three-outlet extender.

It wouldn't have been a problem if the ship security hadn't agreed with them, and withheld it from me for the whole cruise!

On 8/13/2022 at 7:39 AM, BrianB said:

I have seen a situation where a port security worker/supervisor was adamant about not allowing a certain multi-port device to go through security. The passenger very nicely requested a RC representative. I saw them later and she said a ship’s officer came to security and approved the device.

I wish that had been an option. They hustled it away from me and gave me a claim slip and said the only option was to ask ship security about it once I was on board.  Which I did, I made multiple visits, and was continuously denied.

9 hours ago, Matt G from Staten Island said:

Amazon says it's "cruise compliant", and I have used it on several cruises before with no problem. So either the ones Amazon and RoyalCaribbeanBlog say are "compliant" aren't actually compliant, or port security and the Adventure staff messed up - but there's no way to be sure it won't happen to you too, because there is so much inconsistency.

This is the exact one!! I got it because Matt here at RCB recommended it. And I have used it on previous cruises.

It seems to me that there is a lot of inconsistency in their protocols - it shouldn't be a crapshoot! I shouldn't have to hope to catch a break. Their rules about what's allowed and what's not should be clear and publicly posted. And Amazon shouldn't be allowed to sell it as "cruise compliant" (and RCB shouldn't recommend them) if the largest cruise line in the world doesn't think it's compliant!

It was in my carry on and was confiscated by an asshole security guy at the Port in Bayonne. I didn't have any concerns because I had used it on cruises before and it was allegedly "compliant".

If ship security had given it back to me and apologized that the Port security was overzealous, I wouldn't have as much of an issue. But ship security claimed they examined/tested it, and said it was not compliant and I couldn't use it on the cruise. I pointed out that it has the cruise-compliant logo on it, that I had used it on previous cruises - including on that very ship a few weeks earlier - and that I knew for a fact that others on the ship were using it on that same cruise - all to no avail.

Unfortunately, that "cruise compliant" logo is purely marketing by the manufacturer.  Amazon isn't really at fault here.  They are just posting the manufacturer's marketing.  I'll take your work that Matt has recommended this product and I'm sure in most cases, it passes through just fine.

Here's my recommendation.  If you want to bring a multi-port charger, bring exactly that and ONLY that.  This product adds multiple AC power outlets.  Anything that has power outlets is at risk of being confiscated.  Get something that plugs into an outlet and gives you as many USB/lightning/etc ports as you need.  I've never heard of a device like that getting confiscated.

7 hours ago, mistertomatohead said:

Is there something about that ship? Maybe it gets low on electricity. LOL.

Can you ask for extra outlets? Don't they have something onboard they give out?

Can't ask for extra outlets, only extension cords, which I did get, for my CPAP machine.

10 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Unfortunately, that "cruise compliant" logo is purely marketing by the manufacturer.  Amazon isn't really at fault here.  They are just posting the manufacturer's marketing.  I'll take your work that Matt has recommended this product and I'm sure in most cases, it passes through just fine.

Here's my recommendation.  If you want to bring a multi-port charger, bring exactly that and ONLY that.  This product adds multiple AC power outlets.  Anything that has power outlets is at risk of being confiscated.  Get something that plugs into an outlet and gives you as many USB/lightning/etc ports as you need.  I've never heard of a device like that getting confiscated.

Yep, I'll bring only a USB Hub from now on.

3 hours ago, Matt G from Staten Island said:

Can't ask for extra outlets, only extension cords, which I did get, for my CPAP machine.

Yep, I'll bring only a USB Hub from now on.

The one I used last month on Harmony may not be allowed in Amsterdam on Friday, so I will pack a USB hub also. 

15 minutes ago, Jkaczano said:

I’ve cruised with that same plug 4 times - twice through NJ (oasis in September and Adventure in May).  Never had an issue.

I used it in July on the same ship in the same port! I guess my mistake was putting it in my carry-on. But that shouldn't make a difference, either it's approved or it's not, we shouldn't have to play hide and seek with it!

Just posted this link in the CPAP thread. It's a good discussion regarding the complexities of the two prong to three prong converters.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/best-power-adapters-for-european-travel-1508193

I believe the relevant issue is any plug in device that takes the ship's two or three prong power source and splits it into more outlets (three prong or USB) is not going to pass muster. The reason for that is the potential to overload the single source plug's upper amperage limits with multiple electronic devices plugged into it. USB outlets have very low amperage draws but something like a hair dryer or iron presents a high risk of amperage overload on a circuit, a popped circuit breaker or worse, a fire. 

We travel with one much like the one in the photo above and have never had a problem getting it through security in our checked at the pier luggage. I think the risk of confiscation is higher with carry-on stuff that is going to be subject to the prying and not often well trained eyes of local security staff. 

On 8/14/2022 at 2:13 PM, Matt G from Staten Island said:

It was in my carry on and was confiscated by a security guy at the Port in Bayonne.

Personally I'd chalk this on up to an overzealous security person from the great state of NJ. 

Having spent time while in the service at Ft Monmouth and Dix I could tell why California doesn't fall into the ocean. HaHa!

14 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

Personally I'd chalk this on up to an overzealous security person from the great state of NJ. 

I'm inclined to agree, except that ship security was equally overzealous. I just want to know if it's compliant or not, whether I should bother trying to bring it next time or leave it home - I shouldn't have to "smuggle" it in my checked luggage.

17 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Ok, So out of Cape Liberty. Better luck with this "questionable" electric stuff in your checked Vs carry on luggage?

That seems to be the consensus. But that's ridiculous, we shouldn't have to be smugglers! Their protocols/rules should be clear and unambiguous like they are for irons and hoverboards.

We should know exactly what's allowed and what's not, so that we have something to refer to if security gets overzealous.  And conversely, if we push our luck and bring something we know isn't allowed and it gets confiscated, that's on us.

I was under the impression that as long as it didn't have a circuit breaker or cord, it was compliant. But when I tried to look that up on Royal Caribbean's list of what's prohibited/allowed (to make my case to RC security), there was no specific mention of which kind is OK and which isn't. The only related item on the Prohibited list is "Electrical Extension Cords", and what I brought does not qualify as an extension cord since it doesn't have a cord. https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy?country=USA I tried explaining that to ship security, to no avail.

The fact that none of us experienced RC cruisers is sure whether or not the item I brought follows their rules speaks volumes to the lack of clear direction from RC. And the fact that they confiscated it without it being on their "prohibited" list is disturbing and upsetting.

29 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

So if plugs, cords, irons, etc are confiscated from checked in luggage. Do you still get the luggage at your cabin with a note of what was taken out? Do you pay a fine? Or does your bag not even make it on board at all?

Your luggage is taken to the "naughty room".  When you go to retrieve it, that's when they will open it and confiscate the items that were flagged.

Didn't find on the US page the prohibition against multi-outlet adaptors or surge protectors, but I did find this in my most recent guest ticket book, "Guests may bring personal wine or champagne onboard only on embarkation day, limited to two (2) bottles (no boxes) of 750 mi per stateroom." Don't think a 750 mile long bottle would be possible to carry aboard, though maybe you could get a group together to haul on one of those oversized bottles Royal likes for their champagne bars.

From Royal's Australian page: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/aus/en/faq/questions/can-i-bring-an-extension-onboard?country=AUS

"Guests cannot bring electrical extension cords, including power boards or surge protected power boards."

We are on Adventure now. DH had extension cord for his CPAP and our charger block in his checked bag. When his bag came HOURS after the others, there was a slip inside saying they confiscated the extension cord.  Then we realized charging block gone. As well as his sleep shorts🙄. Trip to guest services, with a LOT of other unhappy guests. Yep they have my charger, no they won't give it to us. So how am I supposed to charge anything? Thankfully DD has one (hers was is carry on) that we can use but now I have 8 devices that need charging, we are in 2 separate rooms that are not connecting.  

Security wanted to search our room at 10pm last night to look for the shorts. We don't care about the blasted shorts, but the charging block, that is another story. We have taken it on 5 cruises in the last year with no problem. I do admit, he should have just put it in his carry on bag, but they want you to use the app for everything (no printed compass, use app or scan QR code to get it digitally) so how can I do that if they take my ability to charge away? And it's not like Anthem where there are USB ports in the room.

So far, not feeling the Royal love. 

56 minutes ago, VeronicaS1970 said:

We are on Adventure now. DH had extension cord for his CPAP and our charger block in his checked bag. When his bag came HOURS after the others, there was a slip inside saying they confiscated the extension cord.  Then we realized charging block gone. As well as his sleep shorts🙄. Trip to guest services, with a LOT of other unhappy guests. Yep they have my charger, no they won't give it to us. So how am I supposed to charge anything? Thankfully DD has one (hers was is carry on) that we can use but now I have 8 devices that need charging, we are in 2 separate rooms that are not connecting.  

Security wanted to search our room at 10pm last night to look for the shorts. We don't care about the blasted shorts, but the charging block, that is another story. We have taken it on 5 cruises in the last year with no problem. I do admit, he should have just put it in his carry on bag, but they want you to use the app for everything (no printed compass, use app or scan QR code to get it digitally) so how can I do that if they take my ability to charge away? And it's not like Anthem where there are USB ports in the room.

So far, not feeling the Royal love. 

Wow. Yeah, it seems like they're cracking down. But as I've been saying, the US version of their prohibited items ONLY mentions extension cords (so that, you would expect not to get back), but they'll give you those if you ask. But we're flying blind when it comes to outlet expanders that we thought were okay.

When you say "charging block", was it something like the one I posted? No wire, no breaker?  1039639950_cruiseplug.png.3e76a71178c10ecb0268c7d5eee4e34d.png

Was it just a USB hub? I hope they're not confiscating USB hubs! That's what I was planning to bring next time!

I registered a complaint after the cruise (and gave their customer service a low grade), said I didn't plan on going on the Adventure again anytime soon, and I demanded to know their official, specific policy regarding which devices are allowed and not allowed. We'll see if they answer me.

10 hours ago, Matt G from Staten Island said:

Wow. Yeah, it seems like they're cracking down. But as I've been saying, the US version of their prohibited items ONLY mentions extension cords (so that, you would expect not to get back), but they'll give you those if you ask. But we're flying blind when it comes to outlet expanders that we thought were okay.

When you say "charging block", was it something like the one I posted? No wire, no breaker?  1039639950_cruiseplug.png.3e76a71178c10ecb0268c7d5eee4e34d.png

Was it just a USB hub? I hope they're not confiscating USB hubs! That's what I was planning to bring next time!

I registered a complaint after the cruise (and gave their customer service a low grade), said I didn't plan on going on the Adventure again anytime soon, and I demanded to know their official, specific policy regarding which devices are allowed and not allowed. We'll see if they answer me.

So it is a block with multiple USB ports, a USB-c port and two outlets. Short cord which wraps around the block.  So not an extension cord. 

We are making do with the other block, but it is inconvenient. We have found this crew to be less than stellar, and with 7 more nights to go, I am not sure if it is going to improve.

Agree I don't plan on sailing on Adventure again any time soon.  My goal is to go on each ship at least once, so I have done this one, no need to come on again.

1 hour ago, VeronicaS1970 said:

So it is a block with multiple USB ports, a USB-c port and two outlets. Short cord which wraps around the block.  So not an extension cord. 

We are making do with the other block, but it is inconvenient. We have found this crew to be less than stellar, and with 7 more nights to go, I am not sure if it is going to improve.

Agree I don't plan on sailing on Adventure again any time soon.  My goal is to go on each ship at least once, so I have done this one, no need to come on again.

Up until 10 days ago, I would have thought it was the cord that did you in. But mine didn't have a cord and they still kept it. Although port security put it in a bag with the cord I brought, so ship security may have been too lazy to open it and see that it was two separate items (even though I stressed that it was), and thought it was all one item.

I had no problem with the rest of the crew, just the overzealous security staff.

• 2 weeks later...

I use these (similar) at home and supply them to guests at an Airbnb place we own.

The ones I buy have (2) firewire tips for Apple, (1) USB C for older Android phones, tablets and headphones, and (1) Micro USB for newer android phones, tablets. So rather than buy the expander, just buy a multi-head cord.  You get 2 sets for about $11 on Amazon

image.thumb.png.e701737dfcf94c676057bd1e0454f4b4.png

• 3 weeks later...

When I went through security for my Sept 4th Oasis cruise they confiscated my three outlet plug, which my wife and I use to plug in both of our CPAPs. I've had this go through OK on five previous cruises. They then were giving me a hard time about the converter with USB plugs that looks like the one @JeffB highlighted. They did finally let it go. Then I couldn't find my claim check we I departed, oh well it's just a couple bucks. I think they are getting pickier about these things, perhaps because of the higher passenger counts?

11 minutes ago, KevinJ said:

When I went through security for my Sept 4th Oasis cruise they confiscated my three outlet plug, which my wife and I use to plug in both of our CPAPs. I've had this go through OK on five previous cruises. They then were giving me a hard time about the converter with USB plugs that looks like the one @JeffB highlighted. They did finally let it go. Then I couldn't find my claim check we I departed, oh well it's just a couple bucks. I think they are getting pickier about these things, perhaps because of the higher passenger counts?

I had a 3-outlet "extension" cord from the dollartree a couple years back, pre-pandemic, and it was confiscated at security. That year there were many outlet extenders on the table upon return. I think it really just ends up being who you encounter, what they've been told/taught and how they interpret what they've been told/taught.

• 2 weeks later...

***UPDATE***

I filed a complaint when I got home from the cruise. It took them this long to respond.

I just got this email below. I asked for clarification on whether or not the outlet expander I brought was permitted or prohibited; I asked to see their specific guidelines that cover this topic. They responded saying that "Clarity should always be given and uniformity on certain polices", which I agree with completely! Then they completely failed to do that - all they did was cut & paste a section of the cruise ticket that doesn't mention any specific items at all! Basically it says, "you're not allowed to bring what you're not allowed to bring".

So much for clarity and uniformity!

"Thank you for contacting Royal Caribbean International. Due to a high volume of emails, our response time has experienced a delay. I regret any inconveniences this may have caused.

I'm sorry to learn of your negative experience with the confiscation of your property. I appreciate you bringing your concerns to my attention. Based on your feedback, I can understand your frustration in which this matter was handled. Clarity should always be given and uniformity on certain polices. Rest assured, a report has been filed and your comments will be shared for an internal review.

As per your request, I have posted information below which is printed on the third section of our Cruise Ticket Contract.

3. BAGGAGE, PROPERTY AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY:
a. Baggage Limits and Prohibited Items. Each adult Passenger is permitted to carry onboard the Vessel or check-in only the wearing apparel and personal effects reasonably necessary for the cruise, including suitcases, trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers containing clothing, toiletries and similar items. In no event shall any Passenger bring on board the Vessel or check-in, or in connection with the Land Tour, any illegal controlled substances (including medical marijuana), fireworks, live animals (except under the terms of Section 13.e below), weapons, firearms, explosives or other hazardous materials, or any other items prohibited by applicable law or Carrier policy.

Marijuana possession and/or use, including medical marijuana, and possession or use of any illegal drugs, is strictly prohibited in many jurisdictions visited and on the Vessel at all times, as well as in terminals, during shore excursions or any other part of the cruise, regardless of any local, state, or other laws which might permit use or possession of marijuana. Passengers who violate the laws of any jurisdiction are subject to being reported to law enforcement or customs authorities, arrest and prosecution. Passengers who bring on board dangerous items, marijuana in any form, or any illegal drugs or controlled substances are also subject to immediate disembarkation or denial of boarding. Passengers shall have no claim for refund, loss, damage, inconvenience, or compensation whatsoever under any of these circumstances. Passenger shall be responsible to notify Carrier in advance of the Cruise if there is any question as to the permissibility of taking any item or substance onboard the the Vessel.  Carrier reserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board the Vessel or on any mode of Transport any item Carrier deems inappropriate.

We truly look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again and demonstrate our commitment to service on a future sailing."