Ghost ship

Royale

Very much enjoying being on board right now but wow is it different. It’s like a ghost ship! If you like things a bit more quiet now is the time to cruise. The servers for the windjammer is fine, masks indoors is ok it’s tolerable. The absolute worst part is the windjammer not being open for dinner service and having dining room only. Yes you can avail of the cafes but they are not really suitable for every day. I miss being able to have a good drink then windjammer and bed. Dinner at 5:30 kind of puts a dampener on the day. 

602FD55A-8250-4021-BA34-07DEC1EFFE30.jpeg

I will say I like the reduced capacity at the moment as I can do many more things than in the past with hardly if any wait. The Flow Rider line was 15 minutes, there was no wait for the water slides or rock climbing wall and did not feel I had to hurry when playing miniature golf to keep out of the way. We also in the past have almost strictly dined at Windjammers or one of the specialty restaurants after a bad experience with one of the waiters in the main dining room. We were not really looking forward to this. This time the experience was fantastic and did not mind the evenings we visited there. Even though we were "My Time" diners, we seemed to be there about the same time each day and the host recognized us and sat us in the same area each night with a wonderful set of waiters (also helps she was one of the Washy Washy ladies at the Windjammer in the mornings). All that said, I would like to see more guests on the ship as the "crowd" entertainment was less attended so the vibe was a little more subdued than usual. We are not the party animal types in any way and the last "C" line ship we sailed on swore us off that line forever but it would be nice to have a little more life and people at the various theme parties. Looking forward to our upcoming voyages as the numbers slowly increase 🤞 and enjoying the quiet times at the moment.

It’s an interesting experience being on Adventure and at CocoCay with so few guests.  

It’s 930 on a sea day morning and there are tons of empty chairs on the pool deck and in the solarium.  Hot tubs are empty.  We’re on the starboard side of the solarium and there are only two other people sitting down  

The energy level is definitely much more subdued, but that’s ok with me.  

29 minutes ago, KLA said:

These will be days of cruising that we remember, for sure. Just happy to have the opportunity to go! 

The photographers are always asking me to take off my (vaccinated) wrist band when I pose for shots.  I say, “No, I want to be able to look at my pictures from this sailing and remember they were taken in the early post-COVID era. (Is it too soon to say post-COVID?)

9 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

The photographers are always asking me to take off my (vaccinated) wrist band when I pose for shots.  I say, “No, I want to be able to look at my pictures from this sailing and remember they were taken in the early post-COVID era. (Is it too soon to say post-COVID?)

It's definitely a new age of cruising no matter how you look at it! 

I could possibly be convinced to buy a formal night photo with our masks on by that logic - "remember our first vaccinated vacation?"

On 9/8/2021 at 2:35 AM, L454S said:

No, the real disappointment is the whole mask thing after that much money.

I don't think they can survive long on these passenger numbers with what it costs to sail the ship.

Bookings, bookings, bookings........................

I'm sympathetic to your premise.  It will be interesting to see if/when cruising restarts as an option for the "masses".   Right now, those with the highest affinity for the industry are jumping in,  - with vigor (following all the rules, jumping through hoops) - and bringing it back.   But this  isn't the same as the pre-pandemic available market that drove the need for more and larger ships.   If restrictions (like masks, additional hurdles for kids etc) don't recede, would not be surprised if contraction or restructuring of fleets occur.   The impact of restricted sailing within the industry will eventually be revealed over time.

But at the same time, I certainly will appreciated less occupied ships.   Never a fan of lines - I certainly will enjoy the better crew to passenger ratios.  That's a benefit.