Jump to content

Anyone else move up their cruises due to Delta concern?


Recommended Posts

So like many out there, I am concerned that the Delta variant will throw the travel industry back into what it was when the pandemic first started, as the peak has not yet happened. Honestly hard to see this thing slowing down in Fall and Winter.

I cancelled my November and December cruises, and am instead now going twice in August, then mid-September, and then again in October, avoiding the peak of Fall/early Winter.

Anyone else changing their plans just so they can be out at sea, confidently? Who knows what a few months will look like from now!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 5:13 PM, smokeybandit said:

44 states (including DC and PR) have seen peaks in their reproductive rates, which means cases will start dropping soon nationwide.  This is consistent with how Delta ran its course in other countries.

 

https://covidestim.org/

I'm trying to wrap my head around how the R0 for Florida has apparently dropped below the magic number of 1 yet case load is continuing to increase. (so far)

In regards to COVID and any seasonality, we only have 18 months under our belt. I don't think we can learn much about how seasonal it may be.

I'm keeping my January sailing, if its anything like last year it should be at the peak of the holiday surge. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around how the R0 for Florida has apparently dropped below the magic number of 1 yet case load is continuing to increase. (so far)

In regards to COVID and any seasonality, we only have 18 months under our belt. I don't think we can learn much about how seasonal it may be.

I'm keeping my January sailing, if its anything like last year it should be at the peak of the holiday surge. ?

Because it takes an average of 5 and up to 14 days for covid to do its thing after you've been exposed.  Think of it like a flash flood. Even though the massive rain storm might have ended a couple miles upstream, it'll still be flooding for a while as the run off continues to go into the streams

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 5:41 PM, Cruising With JT said:

So like many out there, I am concerned that the Delta variant will throw the travel industry back into what it was when the pandemic first started, as the peak has not yet happened. Honestly hard to see this thing slowing down in Fall and Winter.

I cancelled my November and December cruises, and am instead now going twice in August, then mid-September, and then again in October, avoiding the peak of Fall/early Winter.

Anyone else changing their plans just so they can be out at sea, confidently? Who knows what a few months will look like from now!

Nope, we are sailing in Dec.  The cruise lines are showing they can handle people testing positive onboard. IF the cruise lines are unfairly shutdown again, then we will find something else to do.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Because it takes an average of 5 and up to 14 days for covid to do its thing after you've been exposed.  Think of it like a flash flood. Even though the massive rain storm might have ended a couple miles upstream, it'll still be flooding for a while as the run off continues to go into the streams

Makes sense.  I'm curious how they determine the current R0.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/11/2021 at 6:13 PM, smokeybandit said:

 

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how Yale, Harvard and Stanford would choose a color scale for such a map that goes from brown/deep red for NO infections through blue-ish white for 1,000/100K infections or higher. It's backwards for any normal human expectation where red=bad/worse. And I am not sure it offers an easy way to show no data available versus actual 0 infections, either.

?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first of six cruises I’ve booked sails on October 18th this year.  I’m hoping this surge has somehow subsided by then.  Unless the Labor Day weekend causes another surge.

I’ve come to the conclusion that every holiday weekend causes a surge in cases.  They’re not saying this but I believe this latest surge was brought about by the 4th of July weekend.  See the numbers two weeks after the 4th. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

That sounds illegal, a school dictating the behaviors of people outside of school. 

It goes with the gouvernment. An unvaccinated child coming back from out of country does NOT need to quarantine but can not be in big group settings such as school or daycare. So basically its quarantine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Marlena said:

It goes with the gouvernment. An unvaccinated child coming back from out of country does NOT need to quarantine but can not be in big group settings such as school or daycare. So basically its quarantine.

Here are the CDC rules on international unvaccinated:

  • After you travel:
    • Get tested with a viral test 3-5 days after travel AND stay home and self-quarantine for a full 7 days after travel.
      • Even if you test negative, stay home and self-quarantine for the full 7 days.
      • If your test is positive, isolate yourself to protect others from getting infected.
    • If you don’t get tested, stay home and self-quarantine for 10 days after travel.
    • Avoid being around people who are at increased risk for severe illness for 14 days, whether you get tested or not.
    • Self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms; isolate and get tested if you develop symptoms.
    • Follow all state and local recommendations or requirements.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Here are the CDC rules on international unvaccinated:

  • After you travel:
    • Get tested with a viral test 3-5 days after travel AND stay home and self-quarantine for a full 7 days after travel.
      • Even if you test negative, stay home and self-quarantine for the full 7 days.
      • If your test is positive, isolate yourself to protect others from getting infected.
    • If you don’t get tested, stay home and self-quarantine for 10 days after travel.
    • Avoid being around people who are at increased risk for severe illness for 14 days, whether you get tested or not.
    • Self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms; isolate and get tested if you develop symptoms.
    • Follow all state and local recommendations or requirements.

I think my Canadian rules are different. But either way it’s nothing good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No I'm not changing any of my cruises scheduled COVID isn't going anywhere and neither am I.  At this point the way I see it we both are going to have to learn to coexist and I don't see cruise lines shutting down again over COVID concerns.

I'm fully vaccinated, I still exercise caution and mask up when I think it is necessary and as my October cruise get closer I'll take even more precautions to make sure I protect myself from Delta and don't pop positive days before my cruise I refuse to live in fear of this virus.  I respect the virus but I will not live in fear of it I'm not changing anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with Jason Oasis, I had Covid bad, back in December, I had the Moderna Vaccine and I am finding a way to coexist. I am so done living 

In fear. The only way I am not going on my cruise to the Mediterranean mid October is if country's shut down and we can't go. Spain's numbers were horrific at the beginning of July, and now their in the down turn. Infection rate will continue to fluctuate for a long time. Until we get to some kind of heard immunity we will continue to see delta foxtrot golf India Lima or any other variant they can name with the phonetic alphabet until we get to where we need to be to stop the spread. It is what it is. Long story short I just need a vacation.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not only am I not canceling, but I booked my usual amount (and then some) over the fall, winter and spring. I especially love winter cruising from NJ. Easy drive to the port and then bon voyage!  I realize there will be set backs and uncertainty in the future, but I’ll deal with it when it happens. I take reasonable precautions, especially prior to a cruise, and I have an annual insurance policy with Covid riders. I love Royal’s Cruise with Confidence program so I made sure I booked as much as I can during the eligibility period which ends Aug 31, unless extended again. I hope the back end gets extended beyond April 30. I’m fortunate that I can take advantage of the program and think of it as an investment. If the cruise is cancelled, I get 125% FCC. On the other hand, I can cancel for any reason up to two days before and get a full refund FCC. I sympathize with those who can only do a cruise or two and have to balance work and family schedules…flights and hotel…there’s so much stress and worry. Fortunately, I’m able to freely indulge my cruise addiction. 
Bottom line for me is…I’ve been through a lot in life and it is what it is. I could quote the line from Shawshank Redemption but that would be too corny. Good health, good luck and enjoy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...