BAM! Canada US Border Re-opening begins Aug 9th ???

Unfortunately this still seems to center around air travel. No mention of land border crossings, or reciprocal action by the US for Canadians coming to the US. I know Canadians have been able to fly into the US for some time, however, as someone who lives a 20 minute drive from the border I’d like to see more action (or info) on reopening the land crossings.

30 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Unfortunately this still seems to center around air travel

To be eligible for entry, fully vaccinated U.S. citizens and permanent residents must be asymptomatic and present a negative coronavirus molecular test taken within 72 hours of flight departure or arrival at a land crossing.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/07/19/canada-us-border-open/

2 hours ago, Jax said:

Here is the official announcement. Hopefully we will hear a reciprocal announcement from US shortly. 
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2021/07/government-of-canada-announces-easing-of-border-measures-for-fully-vaccinated-travellers.html

Disappointing the USA didn't immediately announce the same thing.

16 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Disappointing the USA didn't immediately announce the same thing.

Still waiting for them to let us Europeans back in too even though US tourists have been allowed in here for a few weeks now. ?

23 minutes ago, Jax said:

What a pile of BS! The US was putting pressure on Canada to open their borders to US citizens and then doesn’t open their own border?

And again, there is nothing stopping Canadians from flying into the US. Makes absolutely no sense.

3 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

What a pile of BS! The US was putting pressure on Canada to open their borders to US citizens and then doesn’t open their own border?

And again, there is nothing stopping Canadians from flying into the US. Makes absolutely no sense.

+1 and I will leave it at that. I am beyond sad today. I truly thought I was going to be able to get on board August 16th ?

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

+1 and I will leave it at that. I am beyond sad today. I truly thought I was going to be able to get on board August 16th ?

@Lovetocruise2002you are still able to fly to the US if it works for your situation. Not sure where you are located and where you are sailing from. I know Don Terris from Don’s family vacations is travelling from Ottawa to Florida to board the Edge on Saturday.

22 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

@Lovetocruise2002you are still able to fly to the US if it works for your situation. Not sure where you are located and where you are sailing from. I know Don Terris from Don’s family vacations is travelling from Ottawa to Florida to board the Edge on Saturday.

Correct Don is traveling to Miami, according to our Beloved Canadian government Travel advisory.   USA is still on the list "Avoid non-essential travel"

52 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

It makes zero sense for me to fly out of Canada. So no go ?

8 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I'm booked to sail out a Seattle in September. I just booked last week when it looked like the borders were opening up. Same for me it makes no sense to fly from Vancouver to Seattle. If the US doesn't open the border I'll be taking a refund and heading to an all inclusive in Mexico instead.

No sailing till 2022 now for me..its just turning into one delay and frustration after another.......

It's all absurd..if they were "following the science", Canadians should be allowed into the US but not the other way around.....but even if they did, I am not vactionign with a mask on so no bueno!

And with Cayman Islands not opening till at least  2022 to cruise ships, we have decided to cancel our November cruise on Brilliance......so it will be 2.5 years before we hope to cruise since the last one...holding out hope for our cruise booked in April 2022 out of San Juan.

15 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Check out Flair airlines @Lovetocruise2002....we have direct flights to Florida starting in October for $99 each way.....if this stays like this, could be a game changer for us once we can fly and vacation with no masks!

3 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Check out Flair airlines

I made the mistake of flying Flair and will never fly with them again. Be sure to do your research on them. Their low prices may be tempting but they up charge you for everything and their service and reliability gets a failing grade. 

The US has decided not to reciprocate.  Meaning although fully vaccinated American's will be able to travel to Canada for nonessential travel starting August 9th, the US just announced an extension of the border closure until August 21 this covers all nonessential travel for Canadians.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/is-canada-open-for-travel/

Here we have another country opening its borders to fully vaccinate Americans but the US government refusing to reciprocate.  This was an issue German Chancellor Angela Merkel brought up to President Biden in her most recent visit to the White House.  Most of Europe has opened its borders to fully vaccinated Americans but the White House and the CDC refuse to reciprocate and open our borders to fully vaccinated Europeans and now Canadians. 

When does this madness end, there is no reason fully vaccinated Europeans and Canadians should continue to be barred from traveling to the United States.  I don't understand what the US government is trying to prove by prevent fully vaccinated people from entering this country.