Carnival ships collide, almost hit Oasis

Jill

3 hours ago, twangster said:

For context, the NCL Sun aborted her approach an hour before and skipped Cozumel.

She got pretty close to the shallow water nearly running over the anchor buoys used by local excursion boats.

The anchor buoys were in her prop wash.  She collected herself and decided to move on.

So, I'm missing something that is probably very obvious. Why did the NCL Sun abort her approach an hour before? Was something else going on that she new to move on that Carvinal Legend and Glory (and Oasis) didn't know about?

31 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

So, I'm missing something that is probably very obvious. Why did the NCL Sun abort her approach an hour before? Was something else going on that she new to move on that Carvinal Legend and Glory (and Oasis) didn't know about?

The Sun may have been tendering.  She may have decided it was too rough for tenders.  

I question what went wrong that this ship was out of control?

RCCL has used dynamic positioning for 10 years since voyager class.  Push a button and the ship stays put.

This Carnival ship depends on two screws, rudder and bow thrusters ... A much less accurate control system.

17 mph winds probably played a part but it does not excuse poor seamanship.

23 hours ago, Cez said:

who's responsible for that ? Captain or pilot ?

Apparently some lawyer in the US has said that its carnivals own fault and they should be held accountable, as both captain and pilot used to do this type of thing when they were children playing in the bathtub with rubber boats. 

3 hours ago, Flacruiser99 said:

The Captain is the Master of the vessel. He is the only one responsible.

That may not not quite true...at least not in the US.  I'll have to look it up but I believe maritime law on this is the same everywhere.

The captain is always in command of and responsible for his vessel.  However, the captain turns over navigation duties, and thus the responsibility, to the pilot.  And, there's a very good reason for that.  The Harbor/Docking Pilot is the expert in local navigation; navigation that can change based on time of year, weather, traffic, etc.  When on board the navigation crew must follow the commands of the Pilot.  This is why the Harbor or Docking Pilot is legally liable/responsible for any mishaps or injuries that result as a result of their duties.  The captain can relieve the pilot for being impaired or incompetent but he had better be absolutely sure prior to doing so.

When I was in the Navy the Harbor Pilot came on board from a tug and had navigational control of our submarine.  I can't see how that would be different today.  Of course, I've been wrong before. ?

Mike

That's true.  The captain always has command of his ship...even when the Pilot is on board.  The Pilot is only responsible for navigation...a responsibility that the captain can relieve the Pilot of.  At least that's how it works in the US.  I'm not sure how those laws work internationally.

http://www.americanpilots.org/document_center/Perils_of_Piloting_Civil_Liability_and_Criminal_Prosecution.pdf

Mike

On 12/20/2019 at 1:12 PM, twangster said:

I understand based on news reports one passenger on the Glory was injured.  Thoughts and prayers for that individual.

Here is the video I shot from my balcony on Oasis.

Despite the collision with the Legend, the bridge crew on the Glory did a pretty spectacular job avoiding a collision with the Oasis.  When I first saw the bow of the Glory come into view it was close.  Too close.  It occured to me a collision was highly possible. 

As I was shooting the video I was keeping an eye on the stern of Glory.  It was getting closer.  I knew they couldn't apply a lot of stern thrust to keep the stern off us without driving the bow into the bow of Oasis.  As the bow of Glory began to clear the bow of Oasis I could see them apply stern thrust to avoid impact.  It was a tight near miss and excellent seamanship on their part to avoid a second collision.  

The wide angle lens is misleading.  The people on Glory were close.  I could have tossed them a bottle of water.  

WOW,,,,  Great video @twangster, How close of a distance did the Glory actually come from the Oasis?

1 hour ago, VinceC said:

Does anyone know if Maritime Attorney (Ship Chaser) Michael Winkleman has reached out to all the passenger on the Glory yet.....  LMAO.....???

Based on his previous  exploits, there is an unconfirmed  report that he arrived at the dock just ahead of the Glory on her second  attempt ???

1 hour ago, VinceC said:

WOW,,,,  Great video @twangster, How close of a distance did the Glory actually come from the Oasis?

Where I was near the forward elevator lobby the Glory was just a little closer than it would be across a pier.  Near the bow it came closer which you can't see from my angle.  

The pilot never controls the ship. He gives spoken directions to be carried out by navigation crew. 

A good friend of mine is a pilot at the port in Jacksonville. He’s carried out to the container ships via tugboat to board the vessel then directs it through the channel of the St Johns River. These pilots know the currents and under water topography to safely guide these ships to port. 

Pretty amazing to see his drawings of the bottom of the river that he had to do for his exams. 

On 12/20/2019 at 10:00 AM, SpeedNoodles said:

I'm confused. According to ShipMate, the Glory was arriving in Coz at 10am today. Doesn't it look like it was leaving? 

It's a hit and run!! Would you want to explain to the authorities that you just got your pilot's license out of a Cracker Jack box yesterday?