First time Diamond

Congratulations!  Same situation for us in May.  For us, the main thing is the 4 complimentary drinks (up to $14) per day, excluding Starbucks of course.  We like to purchase internet access for the entire cruise, but if you don't do that you would get one free day for one device.  I see those as the two main items that would be new for us.  There's a few other changes, but nothing that I will get too excited about.

I guess I should add the Crown Lounge access too.  That will be new for us.  Others might have better info on this.

Congratulations!! We had our first Diamond cruise on Oasis in January.

I guess it all depends what you usually 'do/purchase' when it comes to drinks and internet. I bought the soda package and bottles of water as I didn't want to use our 'free' drinks on Dr Pepper and water during the day, and then used our free drinks on wine (I don't drink alcohol so the 'boss' did well from it!). At the end of the night if we had any drinks left we would grab bottles of sparkling water to take back to the cabin. 

For internet we pre-purchased the 1 device as we usually do and flipped between us, but we then chose to have our 'free' days on sea days so we both had access if/when required. 

The Crown lounge was a nice place to get away from the crowds, and when the coffee machine was fixed on week 2(!) it meant lattes etc were accessible without queuing. The snacks were quite nice and despite it being a huge ship with lots of Diamond and above guests, it was never crowded in there. On Oasis it was ideally placed for the theatre for pre and post shows! 

We also took the chance to get our 1 free photo each (well 2 each in our case as we were B2B) so make sure you do that on your last night if you have had some pics taken.

We didn't really use any of the other benefits although we did get the complimentary waters and snacks in the room each week.

There will be much more experienced Diamond members on here with more/better advice!

Enjoy! 

Edited by Bazza
update

My tip is to enjoy the cruise, remembering why you chose it (itinerary vs ship, etc). It's nice not paying extra for some drinks, but get value from the thousands you did pay. I do agree the lounge, if available to you, is a nice, peaceful venue.

Congratulations!

A few tips:

Make sure you specify whether you are using your diamond drinks or not when you order.  Waiters will often apply them automatically if you don't specify and you may waste one on a low cost drink.

The coffee machine in the Crown Lounge is an underrated perk.  They also have a nice hor dourves set up at happy hour and a waiter to get drinks.

The concierge located in the Crown lounge can do a lot of things you used to have to go to guest relations for.

The free photo (each) is another nice perk.

10 hours ago, happy cruisers 2 said:

Congratulations!  Same situation for us in May.  For us, the main thing is the 4 complimentary drinks (up to $14) per day, excluding Starbucks of course.  We like to purchase internet access for the entire cruise, but if you don't do that you would get one free day for one device.  I see those as the two main items that would be new for us.  There's a few other changes, but nothing that I will get too excited about.

I guess I should add the Crown Lounge access too.  That will be new for us.  Others might have better info on this.

Don't forget that the 1 day of Voom is for each Diamond person as well, and the the free day of internet can be used toward purchasing a package onboard (one day value onboard is usually $26.99-$30.99).  If you are willing to go without internet on embarkation day after sail away (no cellular service) and wait until midnight of day 2, it may be cheaper than buying voom ahead of time.  That means going without internet from about 6pm to midnight on embarkation, then purchasing 6 day plan with 1 day free. Using my worst case Icon sailing in October, internet pricing for 1 device is 23.99 (planner price) vs 30.99 (onboard).  Pre-purchased cost for 7 days would be $167.93.  Onboard using one day discount on day 2 would be essentially only 5 day cost (30.99*5=$154.95 for example) or $13 cheaper onboard.  Obviously the longer you are willing to go without internet the cheaper it gets if you decide to get it later in the cruise.

For what it's worth, I have heard stories of people buying voom through planner and then getting one day credit applied once on board through guest services, but I have never tried that myself and would not count on that.

I thought my favorite perk was going to be Diamond drinks...and they ended up going under utilized. I just don't drink all that much any more. If I had two drinks a day, that was a lot.

My favorite perk ended up being the coffee machine in the Crown Lounge and the overall quiet of the space along with the food they had out at most times of the day. Occasionally, I would bring work or a book there and enjoyed it very much.

4 hours ago, wordell1 said:

Congratulations!

A few tips:

Make sure you specify whether you are using your diamond drinks or not when you order.  Waiters will often apply them automatically if you don't specify and you may waste one on a low cost drink.

The coffee machine in the Crown Lounge is an underrated perk.  They also have a nice hor dourves set up at happy hour and a waiter to get drinks.

The concierge located in the Crown lounge can do a lot of things you used to have to go to guest relations for.

The free photo (each) is another nice perk.

This is a great summary of tips.

Congrats on making Diamond!  Recent Diamond member here too.

I'll echo what others have said.  The two biggest perks are free  Cappuccinos or Lattes in the Crown Lounge, and the 4 free drink vouchers.  Your call if you tip, but we ended up taking out a bunch of $1 bills from the bank before we left so we could tip the bar or theatre servers for the drinks.  (You can also tip right on the bill if you want).

Also...we used to pass on getting our pictures taken by the Royal photographers, but now we stop often.  Then on the last night, look through them (they show on the app now) and pick the best ones (one per adult diamond member).

Another thing I loved on our recent Wonder cruise was the Backstage Tour.  I'm a big theatre fan and this tour was really neat, especially seeing backstage.  It's for Diamond and above (although they didn't even check our Sea Pass cards).  I guess it depends on the ship though as on Odyssey it  was just a talk with theatre staff.

We don't get internet on the ship as like to disconnect, but a free day is a nice bonus too for those that use it.

Enjoy your cruise!

Congratulations on making Diamond...  For me is the 4 free drinks daily anytime, since it is load it into your sea pass.  I like going to the crown lounge for the coffee and some quite time.  There's also some snacks to eat during I believe from 4pm to 7pm.

1 hour ago, Colon said:

I have a question. I will sailed my first cruise as a Diamond on June. My sister is gold. Does she allow yo use the Crown Lounge with me or just me?

They let family members in as long as your with her.  At least they have for us.

On 3/18/2024 at 8:36 PM, Gasman62 said:

Hi all. We are going to be sailing on Adventure in April as first time Diamond level. Just wondering if there are any tips youse could share about what to expect or to look for at this new level for us. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Show that card to every RC employee so that they move you along faster, especially main dining! Take advantage of it! It’s worth it!

2 hours ago, Colon said:

I have a question. I will sailed my first cruise as a Diamond on June. My sister is gold. Does she allow yo use the Crown Lounge with me or just me?

Officially no, but if you use your card to enter and she follows you in, nobody would really know.

4 hours ago, Colon said:

She is not allowed to use the Crown lounge, it should be just you. Bringing people in could possibly take a seat from someone who has actually earned it. 

We had our first sail as Diamond this past January on Odyssey.  These are the perks we used:

• Four drink vouchers per day
    • We passed on the DBP as we don't typically drink more than 5-6 per day.
    • When we ordered a drink, we specified when we wanted to use the vouchers.  We always saved them for the cocktails and paid for beer.
  • We received 20% off our first beer (specified not to use the voucher on them).
  • Free day of internet
    • We knew we didn't want to be connected much, so we used our vouchers on different sea days and shared the connection.
    • We had no issue finding free Wi-Fi on port days when we chose (except Coco Cay).
  • Diamond/Crown Lounge
    • We typically stopped by once per afternoon on sea days to get coffee, a snack if they were still out and just relax in a quiet environment.
  • Picture discounts
    • We used each of our discounts to purchase one picture each
  • 15% Merchandise discounts (picked up a few trinkets and my Odyssey model ship)

We may have missed a perk here and there, but overall, it added up to some nice savings for us.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, YellowBrickRoad said:

We are now Diamond members for our upcoming August cruise. My husband has a DBP and I have refreshment package. 
For his 4 , do you just tell them to use the vouchers since they won’t think to use it with the DBP? This way I can use if I go over my 4?

As crazy as it seems, I would not count on them NOT using his coupons, even if he has the DBP.  I recommend that you (and he) tell the bartender/server EVERY time, how you want the each and every drink paid for.  It’s kind of a nuisance but I’ve seen/hear of waaaytooo many peoples’ loyalty coupons getting used when they shouldn’t have.

52 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

As crazy as it seems, I would not count on them NOT using his coupons, even if he has the DBP.  I recommend that you (and he) tell the bartender/server EVERY time, how you want the each and every drink paid for.  It’s kind of a nuisance but I’ve seen/hear of waaaytooo many peoples’ loyalty coupons getting used when they shouldn’t have.

Good to know! Thank You 😊