Labadee rumor

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

At captains corner,  the captain noted RC is going to deliver some diesel to the area for humanitarian relief. 

This little corner of Haiti has prospered from the presence of Royal and the Labadee private destination.  Somewhere around 400 locals are employed.  Royal built a school in the local village.  Housing tends to be better built with real construction material.   This community is not your typical Haiti village and they know that.

Like any small town with a large employer the community tends to be very pro-company.  

I can see why Royal would want to maintain that sentiment.  It's in their long term interest to see the local community gets some relief and their standing maintained.

The local community must be really feeling the lack of ship visits.  Their livelihoods once snatched away from them just like it was during the pandemic.  Innocent victims out of work facing incredible hardship supporting families.  All thanks to distant gang violence.

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The captain hinted (my interpretation) that the decision to ditch labadee for now is purely PR because people don't understand Haitian geography.

Yes.  The optics of sitting on a beach enjoying a Labradoozie doesn't work well on social media when gangs are killing innocent people in the streets a nearly impossible drive away.  

30 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The captain hinted (my interpretation) that the decision to ditch labadee for now is purely PR because people don't understand Haitian geography.

That's exactly what I've assumed this was. There's still no real threat to that area, but people see Haiti and that's enough to want to keep out.

On 3/21/2024 at 2:33 PM, AshleyDillo said:

If the cancelation doesn't happen in enough time before the Cruise Planner closes, the refund will appear as OBC on the ship. The most recent announcements of port changes have been well in advance of the Cruise Planner closure for their respective sailings, but the refund process could take weeks. You can jump start the process of the refund by proactively canceling your Labadee excursions if you have any booked.

Thanks, you explained it a lot more eloquently than I did 🙂

45 minutes ago, bobroo said:

I've heard from diverted Labadee passengers that they have not received any additional port fees, taxes, or expenses because their sailing stopped in someplace other than Haiti.

I am sure Royal is eating those fees and costs in the short run as a lot of customers booked cruises because of the Labadee stop.  They are wisely avoiding the "I didn't sign up to go there" argument for ports that were changed.  They are still profiting big time on some of their replacements too.  For example, I am about to leave on Symphony this weekend.  We were originally was scheduled to call on Labadee.  Labadee was replaced with Coco Cay.  My excursions purchased at Black Friday prices for Labadee were canceled and refunded.  But excursions for Coco Cay are following the dynamic pricing model and is extremely expensive because two oasis class ships will be there that day.  Hideaway beach prices are a good example where it is $70.99 now and on another trip it was only $23.

434366980_10223900859778710_2598300228536813782_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=QoGlkmuNj9QAX8vgGSh&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=00_AfDiJrZKNlzdn_u25dTBwNa5GaFDRNdwFuXAOynK3XtxWg&oe=66080D5E434356521_10223900859858712_7188590395573938733_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=0HwNPZ0rNE4AX_GA0pz&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=00_AfDiPWe1pENxcXN1RMMXDhKx1YNGx-LpDdWk16NvRYWpcA&oe=6607F29B

1 hour ago, Babsy47 said:

My Labadee excursions/cabana were cancelled by RC and amounts have already been refunded to my card,so I’m not sure folks need to worry about OBC.

And the refunds happened quick too.  I was pleasantly surprised that I was refunded in a couple of days vs weeks.

They've cancelled through May. Just went on to try to book a trip to Labadee and first available itinerary was June 10th on Independence. I've got a Labor Day weekend trip planned on Independence, so I'm curious to see what moves they make for this summer. I'd welcome another port like Grand Turk or Grand Cayman, but will be disappointed if we just end up on Nassau and PDCC for a four night cruise. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, KHiester said:

Any news on Labadee? Are cruises still not going there? Have a cruise planned with the family, it is still a few months away, but I am wondering if I should just change my sailing all together.

No news, they are not going there at this time.  If your trip revolves around being able to go to Labadee, then maybe you'll want to change it. However any sailing can miss any port at any time, so keep that in mind.  There's never a guarantee that you'll make it into any port.  Personally, I wouldn't change it, as any other sailing will likely cost you significantly more.

3 minutes ago, Someone_else said:

Going to the ABCs islands on Grandeur OFT in November...

In your opinion, would they replace with another port? If so, where, most likely? Don't really want a sea day. 

They seem to try to give you a replacement port. Grandeur could get DR, Turks and Caicos, or maybe Jamaica.

November is a long way off though. 

45 minutes ago, Someone_else said:

Going to the ABCs islands on Grandeur OFT in November...

In your opinion, would they replace with another port? If so, where, most likely? Don't really want a sea day. 

We had a ABC itinerary that had to replace Bonaire with another stop. Grand Cayman was the replacement, so that's another possible replacement for Labadee if ships still aren't going there on your scheduled trip.

54 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

They seem to try to give you a replacement port. Grandeur could get DR, Turks and Caicos, or maybe Jamaica.

November is a long way off though. 

I'd be happy with any port at this point, just would like to not have a sea day 🙂

Turks and Caicos would be amazing, but still hopeful for Labadee.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

My guess is they'll restart Haiti in June, as long as there are no additional escalations of violence. The decision to stop was more PR than actual safety concerns to begin with.

One of my employee is from Haiti and he said that they are greatly affected by the lack of tourism currently. He does not think that the lack of tourism will be sustainable in the long term. 

He thinks like you - June/July will be when things start back again, otherwise, bigger concerns and troubles are ahead for Haiti.

I do feel for the locals though. 

When people ask me 'why do you love cruising so much, employees are not well paid while you live your best life'. 

I love cruising for this exact reason! I get to know the history of our room steward, our servers and love hearing ehat they have to say. I get to tip them well. I am part of them having a job. If there was no crusing, what would these people do? 

Travelling is one of the greatest school of life and this is why we immersed our kids very early on. 

12 minutes ago, Someone_else said:

One of my employee is from Haiti and he said that they are greatly affected by the lack of tourism currently. He does not think that the lack of tourism will be sustainable in the long term. 

He thinks like you - June/July will be when things start back again, otherwise, bigger concerns and troubles are ahead for Haiti.

I do feel for the locals though. 

When people ask me 'why do you love cruising so much, employees are not well paid while you live your best life'. 

I love cruising for this exact reason! I get to know the history of our room steward, our servers and love hearing ehat they have to say. I get to tip them well. I am part of them having a job. If there was no crusing, what would these people do? 

Travelling is one of the greatest school of life and this is why we immersed our kids very early on. 

I can get on board with that train of thought. Well said. 

On 4/14/2024 at 9:16 AM, smokeybandit said:

My guess is they'll restart Haiti in June, as long as there are no additional escalations of violence. The decision to stop was more PR than actual safety concerns to begin with.

I don’t think PR had too much of a role - the insurance companies have the most weight in these situations. 

1 minute ago, Butters530 said:

I don’t think PR had too much of a role - the insurance companies have the most weight in these situations. 

At a recent Captain's corner, the captain all but said it was a PR thing because people don't understand how far Labadee is from Port Au Prince and how difficult the trek would be to get there.

On 3/26/2024 at 5:46 PM, bobroo said:

I've heard from diverted Labadee passengers that they have not received any additional port fees, taxes, or expenses because their sailing stopped in someplace other than Haiti.

We did not have any additional fees when we were diverted to Falmouth. We also got our Labadee excursions refunded to credit card very quickly, even though they made the decision to cancel the day after our planners closed (this was for a late March cruise). I really thought it would be OBC because it was two days before the sailing, but it was a direct refund. 

Are they offering an option to change ships/itineraries instead without penalty, or are they just rerouting you guys to new ports with no option to make change? Just curious. Two years ago we had an itinerary change with Odyssey and they sent an email stating we could change ships/itineraries with no issue if we weren't happy with the updated itinerary, but in our situation they cut us from 7 nights to 6 nights and we lost Labadee port.