This website

PeloAl

1 hour ago, PeloAl said:

Does anyone else get constant ads popping up on this site? It’s nearly impossible to read through posts without constant ads in your face. It’s even worse on my iPhone with the yellow banners now. 

Yes, I mean I get that ads are what makes this site possible but the pop ups blocking things is very annoying. 

1 hour ago, PeloAl said:

Does anyone else get constant ads popping up on this site? It’s nearly impossible to read through posts without constant ads in your face. It’s even worse on my iPhone with the yellow banners now. 

The popups are becoming more ubiquitous and persistent. Some even refuse to close for 3-5 seconds. I also understand the economic requirements, but they are becoming a reason not to view this blog. 

9 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

The advantage of reading this on a computer rather than on a phone is that the pop-up ads are a small portion of the bottom right corner of the screen. Although they are sometimes in the way of being able to click "submit reply."

yea, I just scroll up/down and they go away for a bit or change; but in the lower right corner they're just out of the way.

1 hour ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Download Duckduckgo from Google Play store. Use that as your browser for this site.

I'm a long time user of DDG but definitely no expert about how these things work. I know I don't have the annoying ads so much when I use it compared to when I accidentally use  big G. But my understanding is that bloggers want and need these ads as income for their sites. And without income, they may not be able  to maintain a site. 

I'm not sure it would be beneficial to a site to have everyone blocking ads, however annoying. Unless the site could get income from the user in another way, which would be to contribute with a "membership" to help support the site. I have chosen this avenue for me with my (somewhat) ad-blocking browser. This site is of value to me, entertains me, passes along good information and keeps me in touch with cruising when I am not on a ship. And I would like it to continue.

So, I'm sure many, many more of you understand how the whole blogging, ads, etc. things work WAY better than me. But this is my opinion, however simple it may sound.

23 minutes ago, fireclan said:

Unless the site could get income from the user in another way, which would be to contribute with a "membership" to help support the site.

One could consider becoming an INSIDER via Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/RoyalCaribbeanBlog

Another means would be joining the channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@RoyalCaribbeanBlog

I'd love it if an ad-free version of the site could be created for supporters. Flipside, I'd be disappointed if content went down the paywall path.

35 minutes ago, fireclan said:

I'm a long time user of DDG but definitely no expert about how these things work. I know I don't have the annoying ads so much when I use it compared to when I accidentally use  big G. But my understanding is that bloggers want and need these ads as income for their sites. And without income, they may not be able  to maintain a site. 

I'm not sure it would be beneficial to a site to have everyone blocking ads, however annoying. Unless the site could get income from the user in another way, which would be to contribute with a "membership" to help support the site. I have chosen this avenue for me with my (somewhat) ad-blocking browser. This site is of value to me, entertains me, passes along good information and keeps me in touch with cruising when I am not on a ship. And I would like it to continue.

So, I'm sure many, many more of you understand how the whole blogging, ads, etc. things work WAY better than me. But this is my opinion, however simple it may sound.

If I had to see the ads the site would not be worth my time. As there are just too many of them. One banner ad at the top of each page would be acceptable, but pop ups I won't deal with. 

I view this site religiously on YouTube and happily view endless commercials. However, Pop Up ads are like strobe lighting to me. My eyes just can't handle it. 

Pop Up add blockers exist. And so do websites that use pop up ads.  So it all works out.

When I use my iPad I notice I get an ad at the bottom of the screen. Until I read this thread I had never noticed the ad there before so I am not very observant. I don’t use the site on my phone so maybe if I did I would be more distracted by the ads.

On 1/25/2024 at 1:17 PM, jbrinkm said:

I cannot even log in to this site on my phone, even if I put my browser in desktop mode. The sign in spot never appears.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Looking into the issues with mobile on the boards

Thanks!

For those on MOBILE devices, can you post a screenshot? 

There should not be the video ad in the corner like @WAYNO has.  We have been unable to replicate the issue on mobile. 

So if you’re on your phone and get it, please share a screenshot and which device you’re using.  Again, phones only.  

As for the ads, in general, it’s a necessary evil.  Pretty much every site has it, and I’d bet you our set up is better than any local news site you visit these days.  We do try to keep it unobtrusive, especially for the message boards. 

The ads pay for pretty much everything we do on this site. The research to keep our team on ships and reporting on what’s new and different is all funded by it. 

I really appreciate all of your patronage and support. So many of you have been on this site for years, and it’s incredible! THANK YOU!

@Matt

The sign in spot is back today if I'm on desktop mode. In the past, I could always log in by going to desktop mode, but yesterday when I checked, I couldn't. I tried downloading Duck Duck Go browser yesterday and couldn't get to sign in on that browser either. I'm usually on Chrome. However, today it is back (only in desktop mode). Here are a few screenshots from my Samsung S22+ on Chrome before I switched over to desktop mode:

Screenshot_20240126_161813_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6f56d55e9cdc7b893bae7ed7f854aca1.jpg          Screenshot_20240126_161824_Chrome.thumb.jpg.aa95c9516d9cf20b09cfedda4b96fccc.jpg          Screenshot_20240126_161835_Chrome.thumb.jpg.376698c68244cfad9f700c25d2aae846.jpg

This is desktop mode. I cannot be on desktop mode on the main blog page or I cannot get to the message board. So I go mobile Chrome to main page, go to main menu, go to message boards and then go into desktop mode where I can sign in.

Screenshot_20240126_163154_Chrome.thumb.jpg.456c61e146a6f0ab3b30634a9c516bcc.jpg          Screenshot_20240126_163209_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1f2468a1348527f3443a1cde479cc8db.jpg

update...  Today I am not seeing any ads on my phone via this website. And before folks remind us that unpaid members must endure such ads... I AM A PAID SUPPORTER.

Now, a little more background of what I was seeing...

My phone held vertical, (short side on top), the ads were close enough to the bottom, I could work around the ads.  But the format of this site on such a screen orientation made the characters so tiny, I had to enlarge the screen greatly, then scroll side to side to see complete sentences.

So, orienting the screen horizontally, (long side on top), the format is usable, but that's when the ads migrated to nearly completely obstruct the content. 

Whatever the cause of my ads disappearing, Thank you.🤩

I spoke too soon.  The ads have returned with a vengeance.  This severely curtails my use of this forum, via cell phone.  🥴

We've discussed this in the past.  If it couldn't be fixed then, it probably can't be fixed now.  And to quote a realist, "it is what it is".👍

Isn't this fun?

P1000818.JPG

P1000821.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

@Matt here is a random mobile site request. The pop-up for notifications is the bottom of the page and gets hidden by a banner add so you can’t interact with it. Is there a possibility to move it to the top of the page. This would make it easier to hit the “show replies” or other notifications.

IMG_6267.thumb.jpeg.6a67f791b3c3ee7f1937dcf26870de78.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2024 at 9:33 AM, PeloAl said:

Never had ads

On 1/25/2024 at 11:16 AM, HeWhoWaits said:

The advantage of reading this on a computer rather than on a phone is that the pop-up ads are a small portion of the bottom right corner of the screen. Although they are sometimes in the way of being able to click "submit reply."

I just did my live blog with my phone only and it was so hard to quote people to reply, using either method. When I tried to just select text to quote, I often did not get the little option or selecting the text I wanted was almost impossible - I'd get far more or far less than I wanted. When I did the full quote, the ad at the bottom covered the option to put the quoted text into the reply box. I also had problems inserting my pictures. Half of the time, they would delete instead of inserting.