Solarium access . . . For kids!!!???

Steph B

We are finishing up the second of our back to back cruises - a 12-night British Isles cruise on the Jewel of the Seas and have encountered a disturbing change to the policy on Solarium access. Evidently, Royal Caribbean has made a fleetwide decision (according to Manish, the smug and thoroughly unhelpful guest services officer we had to deal with) to open up the previously "adults-only" Solarium to kids under 16 when the ship's itinerary takes you to colder weather climates. Or, perhaps it's on every ship in the fleet, but maybe only if needed ... the answer seems very confusing (and confused).

I get it that Royal says they are "evolving the brand to multigenerational families," but what about adult cruisers whose kids have grown up, to say nothing about those customers who have been loyal to Royal before this so-called "brand evolution?"  I can't help but feel we are being left behind with no quiet areas and, most importantly,  our loyalty disregarded. 

Evidently,  Michael Bayley was asked by several people on the latest President's cruise about this and he didn't have an answer, saying instead that he'd "look into it."  I'm not holding my breath.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

The Solarium is only opened to kids on cold weather cruises. It's been this way for many years.

We love the privacy of the Solarium whenever we've sailed in the Caribbean. The only cold weather cruise we experienced (Maine, Canada in October) was too cold to go outside anywhere, so the Solarium exception didn't affect us....we were enjoying views from the heated enclosed lounge on the top deck outside of Izumi. 🥃🍷🤣

2 hours ago, Steph B said:

We are finishing up the second of our back to back cruises - a 12-night British Isles cruise on the Jewel of the Seas and have encountered a disturbing change to the policy on Solarium access. Evidently, Royal Caribbean has made a fleetwide decision (according to Manish, the smug and thoroughly unhelpful guest services officer we had to deal with) to open up the previously "adults-only" Solarium to kids under 16 when the ship's itinerary takes you to colder weather climates. Or, perhaps it's on every ship in the fleet, but maybe only if needed ... the answer seems very confusing (and confused).

I get it that Royal says they are "evolving the brand to multigenerational families," but what about adult cruisers whose kids have grown up, to say nothing about those customers who have been loyal to Royal before this so-called "brand evolution?"  I can't help but feel we are being left behind with no quiet areas and, most importantly,  our loyalty disregarded. 

Evidently,  Michael Bayley was asked by several people on the latest President's cruise about this and he didn't have an answer, saying instead that he'd "look into it."  I'm not holding my breath.

Not new... not just your ship. As matt said, it's a cold weather cruise thing. 

2 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

Honestly, the under 16 kids are not as much of a problem for me than the over 16 and under 25 year olds.  They monopolize the jacuzzi and are making out and doing all sorts of PDA.  Grosses me out.  Ugh...when did I become my parents?  

They don't last long when I am there... I guess having a big tattooed bearded guy staring at them creeps them out and they leave. LOL 😎

7 hours ago, Steph B said:

It is on cold weather cruises only when the outdoor pools are not available.  And on a limited basis, with certain times of the day.  Nothing new. 

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Celebrity does it too, so maybe Holland America is a better choice?  Very few children on HAL.

Holland America’s indoor pool is also overrun with kids since there’re only two pools and four hot tubs. The 2 hot tubs aft and 2 in the indoor pool area are usually 10 kids deep!! I usually waited to get in until they all got carted off to get ready for dinner. 

Combine just as many kids, no poolside music of any kind and mid-day offerings like quilting and scrapbooking classes and you can see why I vowed never to return to HAL. Unless of course I can get one of their constant free stateroom offers to work out! I am a 2 Star Mariner on HAL (equivalent of RC Platinum) and somehow get like 30 free stateroom offers a month! How? Why? Royal please send me some of these! 

3 hours ago, F1guynz said:

Are kids on HAL over 50’s?

Hah! Well I’ve only sailed HAL from California but there were just as many kids on my two sailings (both in early December) as on Navigator from LA. And with no actual kid spaces for them to retreat to, I’d say HAL is a worse experience if you’re trying to find a cruise line without children. 

22 hours ago, Jolly Ogre said:

They don't last long when I am there... I guess having a big tattooed bearded guy staring at them creeps them out and they leave. LOL 😎

cool - I'd love to bring you along if I ever had to worry about that - but I prefer the warm weather destinations

37 minutes ago, MaryCS62 said:

cool - I'd love to bring you along if I ever had to worry about that - but I prefer the warm weather destinations

There was one time when my wife and I were in the hot tub in the Solarium and two really good looking 20-30 something girls got in and moved really close to us and asked if they could hang out. I was a bit perplexed but then they explained that there were some guys hitting on them and they felt that if they were next to me with my H-D tattoos then the guys would leave them alone...They were very sweet and well mannered girls.

17 hours ago, Jolly Ogre said:

There was one time when my wife and I were in the hot tub in the Solarium and two really good looking 20-30 something girls got in and moved really close to us and asked if they could hang out. I was a bit perplexed but then they explained that there were some guys hitting on them and they felt that if they were next to me with my H-D tattoos then the guys would leave them alone...They were very sweet and well mannered girls.

This has happened to my wife and I a few times over the years in various places.  It caught me off guard the first time, but my wife knew immediately what was going on.  

Part of me is bummed that we are at the age where look more like parents to the younger people than peers. 😁

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 1:34 PM, Jolly Ogre said:

I too for some reason have never been bothered in either the hot tubs or the pools, it must be my "sunny disposition" 🙂 I agree with others, the little kids are fine, it is the collage age crowd that can be very disrespectful to some passengers, a good hard stare usually fixes that behavior, drunks though unfortunately require a more hands on approach 😎  On every cruise line I have been on, it is true cold weather cruises, they drop the age limit, not just RCCL.

This is my hot tub smile!

notmad.jpg

19 hours ago, mutantsfornukes said:

Is this policy in place on Alaskan cruises?  I don't recall from my cruise on Ovation this year.  My kids are old enough that it didn't matter, but I don't recall seeing any young ones in the Solarium.

Ovation has an indoor pool for guests of all ages. Most other ships do not, so I wouldn't expect them to change Solarium rules for Ovation in Alaska.