Off to a not so great start…

After our not being able to cancel a booking snafu when the app update rolled out we got onboard Liberty today and they had changed our 530pm dining to my time…went where we were told, and they said we are sorry we are booked but come around 6pm and we will attempt to find you a table…even showed them my printout showing 530…no luck…

Same thing happened to us in January on Mariner. Had 530, it said 530 on my final booking printout from dec. Gibbon board snd when we got out sea pass it said anytime dining. I went to 1st main dining room, no help, went to guest service no help, went back to 3rd flood main dining and complained again, this time they fixed it. We are happy to sit with others. In fact at our table there were 2 other couples at an 8 top table so there was plenty of room, other tables had similar room left at them. If you want 530, stand your ground they can fix it , they might say no, it’s easier to do nothing 

Edited by a jones
Spelling error

I am confused what the problem is.  What were you trying to cancel?  If you showed up to My Time Dining, it is subject to availability.  If you show up and they are full they will suggest you come back later rather than stand in line for an hour.  My Time Dining is not a guarantee when you show up you can have dinner.  It is the ability to change the time you want to eat or get a customized time.  I always book dinner reservations when I have my time dining where I am not standing in line for long.

9 minutes ago, Traveling Mike said:

I am confused what the problem is.  What were you trying to cancel?  If you showed up to My Time Dining, it is subject to availability.  If you show up and they are full they will suggest you come back later rather than stand in line for an hour.  My Time Dining is not a guarantee when you show up you can have dinner.  It is the ability to change the time you want to eat or get a customized time.  I always book dinner reservations when I have my time dining where I am not standing in line for long.

He didn't sign up for MTD, he had early seating and was switched to MTD against his wishes.

Over 50 people in line that had 530 on their cruise documents but when got the sea pass cards…surprise you now have MY Time dining, lots of swearing and raised voices on deck 3…..at 6pm they took us to an empty table but told us it’s only for tonight, dining mgr said it’s port people who made the changes not them, took our cabin number and said I’d get a note in morning with a solution, we shall see, they just now delivered our cooler bag with daughters soda, it is super nice, and as a bonus they gave us a huge bottle of champagne instead of sparkling wine because they were out…score lol

1 hour ago, Colombia20102018 said:

I have been skipping main dining for the most part. It would take two hours on average to go through the meal. Lately I prefer grabbing some quick meal and use those two hours doing something more entertaining. 

Main dining should never take two hours. Family of three... we were rarely in MDR past 70-80 minutes.  

52 minutes ago, ScottD said:

Main dining should never take two hours. Family of three... we were rarely in MDR past 70-80 minutes.  

80 minutes is quite a lot already. I have a larger family, with little kids so it takes even longer. Add to that the time to get ready and nicely dressed. All things considered, at least two hours a day. I would have to see something new, really good in the menu to go but I don’t think the menu has changed that much. The cost of opportunity is high for the moment.

After our not being able to cancel a booking snafu when the app update rolled out we got onboard Liberty today and they had changed our 530pm dining to my time…went where we were told, and they said we are sorry we are booked but come around 6pm and we will attempt to find you a table…even showed them my printout showing 530…no luck…

Same thing happened to us on the Harmony in June.  Our 5:30 was suddenly changed to MTD when we boarded and saw our keys.  We went directly to main dining and they insisted we were good for 5:30.  But when we showed up that night for dinner we were turned away and told to come back for MTD that night.  I was livid!  The dining manager blamed it on my email requesting a table for two a few weeks prior (I will never do that again). Thankfully they were able to fix it the next day and put us back to 5:30.

I have been skipping main dining for the most part. It would take two hours on average to go through the meal. Lately I prefer grabbing some quick meal and use those two hours doing something more entertaining. 

Lately it seems with the new limited dining room menus, they are much faster with their service.  In fact, too fast in my opinion.  We had our whole meal done in 30 minutes.  They brought both appetizers at once, instead of separately as I prefer.  Before those were done the main course arrived.  And desert not far after that.  They could have asked if we had a show first, and if not, slowed down the service to enjoy it more.  That is my opinion anyway.  I am not a big fan of the MDR anyway.  At least not in last few years. 

I love eating in the MDR, but RC has messed it up so much that on our 8-day on Mariner last month, we had 3 specialties and the rest in the Windjammer.

I am rethinking our future cruises because we have been so disappointed with the food in MDR.  We don't have trouble getting the time that we want, early dining, but I find it so much less stressful and tastier in the Windjammer.  I'm sorry that your dining was so messed up on Mariner but hopefully you enjoyed the speciality dining and the Windjammer.

On 7/19/2023 at 11:06 PM, Montemy2419 said:

I am rethinking our future cruises because we have been so disappointed with the food in MDR.  We don't have trouble getting the time that we want, early dining, but I find it so much less stressful and tastier in the Windjammer.  I'm sorry that your dining was so messed up on Mariner but hopefully you enjoyed the speciality dining and the Windjammer.

Our dining was fine; we just didn't try the MDR.  Not because of the food, but the MyTime issues.  I love the MDR, I just hate waiting around hoping to get a table.

Besides, I'm on a cruise.  If my dining gets bad enough, there are olives in martinis.

• 3 months later...

By now I had the chance to try the new menus in Jewel in August and in Symphony last week.

I have to start by saying that the service is still great and that they deserve credit.

The food situation on the other hand is not so good. The appetisers and desserts are okay but the entrees are weak at best. I missed lobster tail night, the duck, the lamb shank. The new options are so unattractive, small, and unoriginal. This same food is almost always available at the buffet too. 
Are there any serious efforts to bring the quality of the food back? 

I don't get it, the menus are not that different to what there were previously. And the number of complaints about the size of the meal astounds me. Get another one or try something else.

And there is never a lobster night when cruising in Europe.

Night one symphony cruise 2020. Not much difference to current menus.

image.thumb.png.de50acfd3270a101d6a48dc10629e136.png

52 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

And the number of complaints about the size of the meal astounds me. Get another one or try something else.

That one always boggles my mind too.  Get as many as you need to feel full.

I wouldn't mind seeing that Moroccan Ahi Tuna Steak re-appear.  Lamb Shank is renamed Braised Lamb but it is the same dish and is readily available.