Celebrity at CocoCay

So what's the upside for the Royal faithful? More ships in port? More cruisers to compete with for activity availability? Higher costs than the already ridiculous prices for the marquee excursions such as thrill, beach club, and cabana's? More pee in the Caribbean's largest swimming pool? I don't really see a win here. Seems they want to make sure the island is always at max capacity.

20 minutes ago, CruiseRoyalDad said:

Seems they want to make sure the island is always at max capacity.

As they should. That said, the adult only beach will add to the capacity and unless it's 2 Oasis/Icon class ships, they really won't be near what they claim is max capacity.

I'd like to be there with fewer people as much as the next guy but I'm not going to stress over this until I spend a day there and truly don't have a good time.

26 minutes ago, CruiseRoyalDad said:

So what's the upside for the Royal faithful? More ships in port? More cruisers to compete with for activity availability? Higher costs than the already ridiculous prices for the marquee excursions such as thrill, beach club, and cabana's? More pee in the Caribbean's largest swimming pool? I don't really see a win here. Seems they want to make sure the island is always at max capacity.

They are doing things to provide value to their shareholders.  When that pleases the Royal Faithful, that's great.  All they need though is for enough cruisers to be willing to tolerate it for it to be a win.  More competition for every item on PDCC means higher pricing for all of it. 

13 hours ago, CruiseRoyalDad said:

The new adults only beach will add more space and hopefully a restaurant in that area.  But I hate to see the island being maxed for people all the time.  I wish it was just for Royal ships.

1 hour ago, ScottD said:

So..this is from a few years ago, but definitely sounds like they plan on a new dock or tendering....

Screenshot_20230628_041604_Chrome.jpg

I don't read it that way.  

Essentially three OA class by numbers, but back then Bayley knew Icon was coming and he knew how many would be on Icon, and Wonder and Utopia, but he couldn't say anything about those ships, so he put it in terms he could say publicly.  

A second pier makes a lot of sense long term but that is the price of a ship AMP and they don't have a lot of money to spend on that stuff right now.  If they found 80 million in a coat pocket would they put that into a ship amp or a new pier?

If I had a time machine I would not all be surprised to be leap forward and find another pier at CocoCay, the only question is how many years do I need to leap forward to find it.  

Celebrity ship are smaller than Royal's newest ships, smaller than Voyager class ships by the numbers of pax.  They are closer to Radiance class in terms of passenger count compared to something like Mariner.

At CocoCay if I had to be across the pier from another ship, which is likely, I'd much rather it be a Celebrity ship.  

I like that they are expanding the island to allow for more guests…but I wish they would expand the beach club…and it’s restaurant. More guests on the island means higher prices for the club. Supply and demand. I guess it would increase the exclusivity of the beach club by making it more expensive…and maybe that’s part of the plan. I’m guessing they will just keep raising the prices as long as people are willing to pay.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

ive been to coco cay a few times now, and every time ive been there, there have been two ships, typically ive been on anthem and usually freedom was there as well. granted not two oasis class ships  but still 7000-8000.

i dont have icon booked, but if i did why would i get off after having spent a small fortune for the on ship water park  to then go pay for another water park or pay for an adults only section...seems silly to me, but then again i didnt book icon....

So many questions........

Is the goal 2 or 3 ships each day?

Does current pier have capacity for 3 ships?

What is capacity of the waterpark?  Will that be limited or expanded?

Would they ever consider using tenders again for the smaller ships to keep increasing capacity?   They did that until 2017, right?

As much as I grumble about the changes, it does seem to be good for my RC stock price.

42 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

Is the goal 2 or 3 ships each day?

Does current pier have capacity for 3 ships?

These types of comments of course are always taken with a grain of salt, but an officer last year told me that RC was going to add another pier for more ships.

Though unless the adults area is huge, I don't know how that would be feasible to have 3+ ships there.

Two Icon class equals a maximum visiting guest count of 15,200.

An additional pier doesn't mean four Icon class but it could be a number of ships with varying capacity that still add up to less than two Icon class ships that day.  

One Edge class,  one Solstice class, one Oasis and one Voyager for example.  Roughly the same as two Icon class.

• 8 months later...