15 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I've always found RC beds quite comfortable.

I've never had a problem until our most recent cruise. The mattress on Indy in October was hard as a rock, which was somewhat odd given that were were in a cabin about 6 cabins away from one we had in July (obviously some mattresses are replaced before others for one reason or another).

Our cabin attendant said they were out of egg crates so he made the bed with a comforter under the sheets, which satisfied my wife. I can sleep on anything and prefer hard to soft but this one truly was one step away from sleeping on the floor.

I'm with the OP.  I hate the mattresses and find them generally uncomfortable.

A few years back, Royal made a large new mattress purchase and replaced a great many of their older mattresses with the hard-as-a-rock ones they have now.  Hopefully they will be EoL pretty soon and maybe someone who actually gave it a moment of thought will purchase better ones next time.

I know many people bring mattress toppers of their own but that is more trouble than I'm willing to go to, so I suffer with what we get.

16 hours ago, peneloph said:

When will Royal fix the awful bed situation?

I love RC but the beds are terrible. 

I agree.

I can barely walk after a night on their mattress.  If you don’t ask for a topper first day you’ll likely not get one.  If the beds are so comfortable why do they run out of toppers?
below is a pic of the “luxury pillow top” bed on Anthem Junior suite. I could barely walk the next day.  I was too late to get a topper.  My poor attendant worked so hard to get the bed comfortable for me (yes, tipped accordingly!)

on Symphony TA a number of people I met were unhappy with the beds.  No mattress toppers left to help them.  

while a lot of people are happy with the beds, a lot are not. 

D1BC96B5-F718-45A7-9D90-3E09D24118C5.jpeg

4 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

while a lot of people are happy with the beds, a lot are not. 

That's really the crux of it @Pattycruise and please believe me, I am sympathetic and really sorry about how they are for you and the real consequences.  Problem is that if they switch them, it's possible that I won't be able to get out of bed and walk the next day.  While I would gladly trade places so you could be pain free, it's a wash for Royal.  They still have the same amount of people who hate the bedding.

5 hours ago, Lexster said:

Right, unless they put in Sleep Number mattresses in the cabins, they'll never be able to please everyone, unfortunately.

I absolutely HATE Sleep Number. I suffer on one for almost 20 years because my husband loved it.  I even tried a mattress topper, which helped but I was still not sleeping. I finally said it is my turn to pick out a mattress.  I have been sleeping like a baby ever since.  I guess that just means that there is not a single mattress out there that will satisfy everyone. 

Edited by FireFishII
Correct a spelling error.

15 hours ago, Xaa said:

That's really the crux of it @Pattycruise and please believe me, I am sympathetic and really sorry about how they are for you and the real consequences.  Problem is that if they switch them, it's possible that I won't be able to get out of bed and walk the next day.  While I would gladly trade places so you could be pain free, it's a wash for Royal.  They still have the same amount of people who hate the bedding.

I appreciate the sympathy, I commented due to some sayhing "the majority here like the beds".  Perhaps the majority have bothered to comment in regards to liking the beds. At least there is something Royal can try and do to make the bed more comfortable for me.  If the beds were too soft for everyone there's not much they could do. So it's a "good problem" for Royal to have as they can try to fix it. I know a lot of people read these forums and if I can save one person from the pain I feel the morning after that mattress I've done my job.  BTW, hubby finds the bed comfy as is-so we are split in my family.

I do not sleep well on a super-firm mattress (which is what most hotels use, so I'd imagine it's the same for cruise ships.) I have a little list of things to do, and one of them under "meet cabin steward" is to request a mattress topper so I can be comfortable. I'm hoping that they can accommodate if I'm asking on day 1 and am nice about it.

I was able to get a memory foam mattress topper for my bed on Radiance.  I made 2 different requests….1 to housekeeping and another by note to the stateroom attendant..  I imagine housekeeping sent it as it was large enough for both twin beds.  I only needed a single.  I was quite put off when the blue memory foam topper-not encased in anything,  was placed just beneath the top sheet and not under the mattress pad.  I remade the bed, placing the mattress pad over it and told the stateroom attendant I was good with the bed and to not make it the rest of the week.  
On other ships the topper they use appears to be encased in a washable cover at least.

I find the beds perfectly comfortable.  I love my bed at home, but I spent days trying mattresses to find the perfect fit.  Mattress comfort is awfully personal.  In purchasing one for our guest room, I consulted with many sources to find something comfortable to the largest percent of people.  It was quite an eye-opening experience!

Ad a person who does a great deal of work travel, my experience is that the RC beds are better than many.

On 4/13/2023 at 10:12 AM, Lexster said:

I didn't mind the mattress, but I had an aching neck most nights from the pillows. I'll be bringing my own memory foam pillow for sure.

Any pillow thicker and fluffier than a sheet of paper (wife's words) aggravates an old neck injury. I always travel with my own pillow. Fortunately being so flat it takes up very little room in a suitcase.

maybe it's because i have a somewhat cushy (to me, at least) mattress at home, but someone on the boards recommended this to throw on top of the bed and it CHANGED MY LIFE. will now never travel without it.

the trick is to ask your cabin attendant beneath the sheets so that it doesn't rustle at night. slept like a baby every night thereafter. it’s the perfect size for the mattress, too!!

https://www.amazon.com/POWERLIX-Powerlix-Sleeping-Pads/dp/B08H5J5QWJ?th=1

On 4/15/2023 at 10:45 AM, Villageidiot said:

Any pillow thicker and fluffier than a sheet of paper (wife's words) aggravates an old neck injury. I always travel with my own pillow. Fortunately being so flat it takes up very little room in a suitcase.

I tried traveling with my pillow once.  Then I had left it behind in a hotel.  Did not realized it until that night.  Pillow gone. 

I generally have not had an issue with beds on the cruises I've taken but this last week on the Oasis was a different story.  The bed was hard as a rock...and it had two toppers on it.  I was up at 4:30 on the 1st morning and didn't sleep past 7 any other day.  Only took a couple short naps too as it just wasn't comfortable for this stomach sleeper.

First thing on board, I ask for 3 things.  Feather Pillow, fan and topper.  Room attendant can usually find all 3.  He or She gets tipped on the front end for the search and then gets tipped upon delivery. Fans seem to be the hardest thing to find. I finally broke down and bought a small travel fan from Amazon to put in the suitcase. 

I am a side sleeper, so a hard bed causes me shoulder pain and I end up flipping side to side most of the night.  Not very restful. A topper helps. Not like the bed at home, but not like camping either. Honestly, a feather pillow is more important to me than the topper. Can't seem to sleep with a fiber fill or foam pillow.