Door decorations

5 hours ago, Traveling Mike said:

I just got off the Allure of the Seas and there were lots of door decorations for easter.  The one issue is there were tons of kids and some of them were taking or moving door decorations.

I've seen this too (although rarely).  My rule of thumb: don't leave anything outside your room you can't live without.

That said, we always put a small magnetic white board outside of our cabin to communicate with each other and to the cabin steward.  We've frequently met other passengers because they were playfully writing on our white board.  It's been fun!

Invariably I will have a morning during a cruise when I will wake up way too early. On that morning I head to Cafe Promenade to grab me a cup of coffee and begin to do my daily walk but rather than use the walking track I walk the halls of each deck. The only reason I do this is to view the various door decorations. Some of the better or more interesting I will take a quick pic of. Perhaps due to the well used drink package there will be a number of doors that aren't completely closed. The most unusual thing I have ever seen was a pair of lace panties hung on a door knob.

Hijacking this thread for door decor idea help.

I'm looking for some clever snappy word play to put on our door for Harmony. I want to incorporate Oasis or Harmony and the fact that this will be our first Diamond sailing but I also don't want it to be cliche (no "Diamonds are a girls' best friend" for example).

When we did Odyssey, I did "from Chi-town to Seabound" for a little bit a slant rhyme.

Let me know what cleverer minds think.

53 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Hijacking this thread for door decor idea help.

I'm looking for some clever snappy word play to put on our door for Harmony. I want to incorporate Oasis or Harmony and the fact that this will be our first Diamond sailing but I also don't want it to be cliche (no "Diamonds are a girls' best friend" for example).

When we did Odyssey, I did "from Chi-town to Seabound" for a little bit a slant rhyme.

Let me know what cleverer minds think.

"Shine on you crazy diamond -- like a ballad with simple harmony".

Just a stab at it.  "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" is an old Pink Floyd Album.  And "Like a ballad with simple harmony" is a quote from John Fogerty (Creedence Clearwater Revival).

51 minutes ago, DoomSlayer said:

Just a stab at it.  "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" is an old Pink Floyd Album.

<nitpickmode> It's a song in parts (9 parts with 5 leading off the album and 4 closing it), not an album.  It is on the album Wish You Were Here</nitpickmode>

46 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Shine on....my fave PF song !

It is a masterpiece for sure!

1 hour ago, fireclan said:

#SeastheDay on Harmony with

THE CRIMSON CRUISERS

#1st💎sailing!

I like this.

18 minutes ago, Xaa said:

<nitpickmode> It's a song in parts (9 parts with 5 leading off the album and 4 closing it), not an album.  It is on the album Wish You Were Here</nitpickmode>

You are correct.  I had it on a 45, so in my mind I was thinking "record" which translated in my brain to "album".  Guess I am showing my age.

18 minutes ago, DoomSlayer said:

You are correct.  I had it on a 45, so in my mind I was thinking "record" which translated in my brain to "album".  Guess I am showing my age.

Nice!  Was it parts I-V on the A side and Parts VI-IX on the B?

My first 45 was probably the best 45 ever.  A side Magic Carpet Ride.  B side Born to Be Wild.  How could you not fall in love with rock music after that?

30 minutes ago, Xaa said:

Nice!  Was it parts I-V on the A side and Parts VI-IX on the B?

My first 45 was probably the best 45 ever.  A side Magic Carpet Ride.  B side Born to Be Wild.  How could you not fall in love with rock music after that?

Yes, it was split into two segments, one on each side.  I can't remember where the break was in parts between A & B sides, but it had all 9 parts in total.

I am going on a RC cruise next week so I called the customer service number to inquire if I can decorate my room door and was told it is not allowed! Clearly they lied? So I was planning to wrap the door in a thin plastic table cloth and secure it on the inside of the door. No tape to the door at all. Would that work? Thanks.

On 4/17/2023 at 10:52 AM, JillyDilly51 said:

I am going on a RC cruise next week so I called the customer service number to inquire if I can decorate my room door and was told it is not allowed! Clearly they lied? So I was planning to wrap the door in a thin plastic table cloth and secure it on the inside of the door. No tape to the door at all. Would that work? Thanks.

I think technically it isn't actually allowed. But the enforcement of that is non-existent and I think as long as we (the overall general we) don't damage the doors or take the snappy wordplay too far, they won't bother cracking down on it. It's a fun tradition and obviously they do it too with their own merch so...yeah

Anywho, I did something similar with dollar tree plastic tablecloths. The first time I used dollar tree poster putty. Second time I just used magnets. I do recommend the magnets as they were easier to deal with. Dollar tree will have them usually in the school supplied section.

Never had issue with either version, though, and our stateroom attendant even made sure to fix anything that went askew.

We had a white board on our door, supporting our favorite football team who was playing in a big playoff game that day. We had a blast every time we came back to the room and saw different notes added to the board, sometimes in support and sometimes against our team. We loved it. 

On 4/25/2023 at 9:45 AM, ScottD said:

We had a white board on our door, supporting our favorite football team who was playing in a big playoff game that day. We had a blast every time we came back to the room and saw different notes added to the board, sometimes in support and sometimes against our team. We loved it. 

Love Gritty!!!  Our Flyers need new ownership!

Door decorations are very fun for us.  As we're approaching our room, we recognize we're getting close, just by seeing the countdown of other recognized door decorations in our hallway.

Back in 2016, we were gifted a door magnet with our names on it.  We've never since been on a ship without it.  This magnet was sold by an internet blog site of our past.  I would like to see such a magnet available from this site.  @Matt

We add other things to our door decor as we travel.  Funny too... We cruised with our Son recently.  He was in a different cabin, so we hung a magnetic note pad on our door so we could keep in touch if the wi-fi didn't work.  Never did he have an occasion to use this note pad, but other random folks would occasionally leave us a nice note.  That was fun too.😊

P1000135.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, DonR said:

We have some from there as well, we put magnets on the back and use them both on the door and in our room. 

I love dollar tree for the decor and lately, they've had a not-tacky beach series they do every summer. The sign was part of it and I've collected a few others. Got a blue and a white anchor. Now I just need a crown Lol. And of course a Seas the Day wooden panel.

On Oasis earlier this year there was a room at the end of the hall and it was a little darker.  They framed the door with the most beautiful battery powered lights.  They used small hook magnets to hold it in place so you or the room attendant could come and go without pulling it down.

I always love looking at everyone's decorations and for the cruise during Valentine's they used different shades of red post-it notes and put it in the shape of a heart.  I think it doesn't have to be elaborate but it should be personal to you.