RC Announced onboard protocols through April 14

On 2/1/2022 at 6:07 PM, wordell1 said:

Disappointing. I was hoping for a return to looser mask requirements now that Omicron has peaked in the US.  I'll still go on my March cruise on Liberty but honestly, there are a lot of vacation options that don't require masks.

Agree!

I think it may be happening sooner than later. many of the last remaining states with mandates, I believe 9 in all announced today plans to roll them back. Here in California, with some of the strictest rules throughout the pandemic we are throwing in the towel February 15th, no more masks in all but hospitals and mass transit, no testing needed to visit in hospitals or nursing homes or mega events and more rollbacks to come including schools but no date announced today on that.  While it isn't the center of the universe, it is about 1/8 of the US population. With New Jersey rolling back soon it almost covers all the states with cruise ports since Texas and Florida are mandate free. I think Royal will trail behind but stay near what is happening on land. I have a mid March cruise and hoping to at least go back to pre-omicron protocols of vaccinated areas and pretty much just wearing them in hallways and elevators and most people barely following those rules. But I've had 3 shots and got covid three weeks ago so I will be particularly crabby about wearing a mask since I am statistically the lowest possible candidate to spread or catch it no matter what study you look at. I think the odds  of me catching or spreading it are near the same as winning the powerball since I have three modernas and an omicron circulating in me. I caught it a week after getting off a cruise, tested negative every day for a week after and none of the other couples we traveled with caught it and we were maskless together at meals, outside and on excursions and in cabs. I got it wearing a mask back home, probably at a store or at work, following all of the rules which to me seem silly since it didn't protect me but no matter, it was just like a cold.

this may be an unpopular opinion...but I am ok with these protocols.

HOWEVER there is a specific reason for this. I am from Canada, and we still have that damn neg PCR to return. I appreciate the protocols while this rule exists because its facilitates being allowed back in my home country!

Once the neg PCR rule is lifted I`m happy to enjoy a mask free vacation.

50 minutes ago, Marlena said:

HOWEVER there is a specific reason for this. I am from Canada, and we still have that damn neg PCR to return. I appreciate the protocols while this rule exists because its facilitates being allowed back in my home country!

Ditto!  Feel the exact same way.

NCL  is dropping mask mandates across the board starting March 1, hoping others follow soon!

Our cruises will operate with 100% vaccination of crew and guests age five and over, therefore face coverings are not required while onboard. However, we recognize the added protections provided when wearing a mask covering and recommend that all guests do so onboard when indoors, except when actively eating or drinking, or seated at a table in a dining setting, or when in their stateroom. Mask coverings are also recommended outdoors when physical distancing of at least six (6) feet cannot be maintained. The decision to wear a mask covering when onboard is at the discretion of each guest.

7 hours ago, Marlena said:

I agree about the return PCR test to Canada. My family has decided that we're not travelling until Canada lifts the PCR testing requirement. It's too stressful now that they add the risk for fines or quarantine in the US.

We have a few cruises booked this year. I hope we don't need to cancel them.

On 2/2/2022 at 4:31 AM, mattymay said:

I'll counter the above. Had household family members with Omicron. Applied simple measures like wearing a mask in common areas, washing hands regularly. Guess what? Didn't get it. Simple measures like this work..maybe not 100% of the time but they do help. 

Also, masks don't just stop someone spitting on you, they also prevent you from touching your nose and mouth (which we do more often than we realise) after touching an infected surface.

Anyways, back to cruising. 2 years this week since the ship ban. Life sucks in Australia.

I caught COVID last month as a fully vaccinated adult, and no one in my house (including 2 unvaccinated kids) caught it without doing anything crazy like wearing a mask in my own home or depriving my kids from the full faced love of their mother for 5-10 days. 

You cannot say that "simple measures work". In fact, most evidence suggests it is tantamount to voodoo at this point, yet people commiting the same logical fallacy as the one you just made are setting policy from CDC in place under the belief that "well, it can't hurt". Except it can, and it's beginning to tread beyond foolishness.

19 minutes ago, LizzyBee23 said:

You cannot say that "simple measures work". 

...it's beginning to tread beyond foolishness.

1. So sorry that you caught covid and glad that you recovered and that no one else in your family got it.

2. If you can say wearing masks if "beyond foolishness'," it would only be fair to allow others to believe and say that "simple measures work."  I don't think that dismissiveness really gets us anywhere on these boards that are designed to educate cruisers for RCCL.

3 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

1. So sorry that you caught covid and glad that you recovered and that no one else in your family got it.

2. If you can say wearing masks if "beyond foolishness'," it would only be fair to allow others to believe and say that "simple measures work."  I don't think that dismissiveness really gets us anywhere on these boards that are designed to educate cruisers for RCCL.

... What? That must be some extrapolation of the transitive property of logic and mathematics that I'm just not getting. The point is anecdotes don't make data, and that when the actual data is analyzed "simple measures" can't be tied to any meaningful change in the state of the pandemic, especially not as it pertains to the way a business like RCL operates irrespective of the regulatory quagmire imposed on them by government agencies like the CDC.

Also, I'd conservatively wager at least half of RCL's customers aren't happy about the prospect of what amounts to stricter restrictions for most coming out of the Omicron wave, and also are less than excited about having to vaccinate their kids as part of that stricter experience in the climate of information continuously coming out which seems to undermine that benefit. You can see the tide turning too, in the way that the cruise line's major lobbying arm, CLIA, is also becoming more vocal. I personally think it would be jarring to not see that same representation of voices here, from actual RCL customers, and have to have a small laugh at the fact that heckles only seemed to get raised on page two of a forum after a slew of comments arbitrarily expressing an overly saccharine view of the whole affair.

Oh, and please don't be sorry for me. It was a two day illness made dramatically worse by the 10 day quarantine requirement when I still tested positive by PCR on day 7.

On 2/3/2022 at 12:14 PM, Rene Desmarais said:

agreed, but once in your system, symptoms or not, it stays in your body for months

And that begs the question.....what do you do if you have had covid in the last 90 days before a cruise and the antigen test continues to show positive?  How are you supposed to prove that your infection was months ago?

22 minutes ago, cubfan300 said:

And that begs the question.....what do you do if you have had covid in the last 90 days before a cruise and the antigen test continues to show positive?  How are you supposed to prove that your infection was months ago?

It's unlikely an antigen will continue to test positive beyond 6-7 days following symptoms. It's the PCR that you can continue to test positive for "weeks". If you were recently positive, you should definitely take an antigen pre cruise. With that being said, it would be nice to see RCI be the next line to change their policy and allow a Certificate of Recovery in lieu of testing as Carnival and Princess already have (along with international air travel). 

My husband and I and my sister and her friend all tested positive for COVID last week (week of Feb. 7).  We are scheduled to leave on a cruise March 7.  We are all fine and according to our doctors not infectious at all.  My doctor has told me we *may* test positive for up to three months afterwards.  If this is true, then the cruise is a no-go, sadly.  Does RC allow for a doctor's certification at all?  We're besides ourselves that this happened.  😞

27 minutes ago, csrsue said:

My husband and I and my sister and her friend all tested positive for COVID last week (week of Feb. 7).  We are scheduled to leave on a cruise March 7.  We are all fine and according to our doctors not infectious at all.  My doctor has told me we *may* test positive for up to three months afterwards.  If this is true, then the cruise is a no-go, sadly.  Does RC allow for a doctor's certification at all?  We're besides ourselves that this happened.  😞

They do not, but an antigen test will likely not show a positive result.  Don't do PCR.

35 minutes ago, csrsue said:

To be safe, get a quick test at the drug store and check. There basically the same test from Emed 

On 2/14/2022 at 6:05 AM, LizzyBee23 said:

I caught COVID last month as a fully vaccinated adult, and no one in my house (including 2 unvaccinated kids) caught it without doing anything crazy like wearing a mask in my own home or depriving my kids from the full faced love of their mother for 5-10 days. 

You cannot say that "simple measures work". In fact, most evidence suggests it is tantamount to voodoo at this point, yet people commiting the same logical fallacy as the one you just made are setting policy from CDC in place under the belief that "well, it can't hurt". Except it can, and it's beginning to tread beyond foolishness.

Same infection went on to kill an otherwise healthy person on the other side of the family who didn’t take it seriously enough! Don’t need evidence, its just logical that wearing a mask and distancing will reduce the potential for exposure to some degree. So yeah it can’t hurt to at least try and protect some people. We weren’t out to try win a mother of the year award.

I’m sorry you find it foolish. But if it doesn’t affect you personally, then the problem doesn’t exist? Am I right?