RC Announced onboard protocols through April 14

20 hours ago, Psycho and Barb said:

His doctor used both a Rapid and a PCR...Both were positive.  I'm still trying to figure out how I was not infected.

I know 3 stories like this. One being my daughter. She’s been directly exposed to Covid 3 times (1 time riding in a car for 4 hours, 3 were positive she never got it) and hasn’t gotten it. She’s double vaxxed, no booster. (Original Covid, delta and omicron)

My 90 year old MIL who is NOT vaccinated rode in a car for 5 hours with a relative who tested positive (original Covid) the next day. She didn’t get it. She goes out all the time too! Beauty shop once a week, church twice a week, grocery.

My friend had original Covid. Slept next to her husband every night. He never got it and neither did their daughter. None were vaccinated at that time. No vaccine available yet. 

It does happen. These people need to be studied! Lol 

On 2/1/2022 at 9:07 PM, wordell1 said:

Disappointing. I was hoping for a return to looser mask requirements now that Omicron has peaked in the US.  I'll still go on my March cruise on Liberty but honestly, there are a lot of vacation options that don't require masks.

I agree with you.  We were on the Harmony in Nov.  The mask thing did not make the cruise more pleasant, for sure.  But now they've tightened the requirements.  So we canceled our March cruise and are going to spend that time at the beach in an oceanfront hotel.  It's in SC so no mask requirements.  Hopefully things change before our Dec cruise on Oasis.

On 2/2/2022 at 8:13 AM, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Not sure this is an appropriate question but going to ask it anyway.  Does anyone feel as though Royal will ever remove the requirement of vaccination?  I know there are several on this blog who have had to forego their love of cruising because of this.  I have members of my family also not vaccinated and it pains me to think they cannot experience this vacation dream due to the current mandate.  I am not asking this to start a debate or political discussion…I just wonder if vaccinations will ever be not required! 

Like policy, once standard behavior protocols are in place, they tend to never go away. So, although covid hysteria is fading away, like most other infectious outbreaks; something new will take its place, to keep the "new normal" going....and I'm not talking about another variant.

1 hour ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Like policy, once standard behavior protocols are in place, they tend to never go away. So, although covid hysteria is fading away, like most other infectious outbreaks; something new will take its place, to keep the "new normal" going....and I'm not talking about another variant.

However, Royal just posted another quarterly loss. They’re still bleeding. At some point they need to fill the ships and I’m not so sure that continued protocols (masking, testing, possible boosters) will allow that. They’re are still a lot of people out there wanting to cruise but the protocols are preventing them. 

I can't think they will WANT to keep all these protocols in place long-term with these types of quarterly earnings - "The company's earnings came in at -$1.36 billion, or -$5.33 per share. This compares with -$1.37 billion, or -$6.09 per share, in last year's fourth quarter." That would be financial suicide.  Once COVID becomes like a seasonal flu or cold they will drop them - they have to as they can't go for too long at those revenue points.

45 minutes ago, Matt said:

So Matt, with your experience and knowing what we know now, do you think by March 20th we'll be in the same spot protocol wise? I know that April 14th was the most recent date provided, but IF the science and numbers in the next month or so improve dramatically, could RC walk that date back a little? Appreciate all you and the MODS do here! Its been very helpful for a first time cruiser.

3 hours ago, Coachkev24 said:

do you think by March 20th we'll be in the same spot protocol wise?

March 20 2022? Absolutely.

I think you're looking at late spring, early summer before protocols significantly change.

Best case scenario is they roll back the strict face mask rules before your cruise.

1 hour ago, Floski said:

I just wish we weren't required to take that dang test.

I don't trust the results, and man, it's so stressful.  

I'm double-vaxxed, so I wish that was enough.

Yes, I am aware that the cruise lines have to do it, but that don't mean I gotta like it.

Yea, the testing process was much more stressful for the cruise we’re currently on than the others we’ve done since the restart.  

12 hours ago, Floski said:

I just wish we weren't required to take that dang test.

I agree with this one.  All protocols I can live with.  This is one so stressful because you pretty much don't know if you are really cruising until two days prior.  For someone like myself who normally looks forward to sailings way in advance, this is a serious buzz kill lol.

3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I agree with this one.  All protocols I can live with.  This is one so stressful because you pretty much don't know if you are really cruising until two days prior.  For someone like myself who normally looks forward to sailings way in advance, this is a serious buzz kill lol.

Totally agree!  Royal clearly states what the protocols are in advance and provides options to cancel if we are not comfortable with them.  Buzz kill is the perfect way to sum the testing up - plans are made, exciting is building, packing has started and then that testing cloud hovers all around until we take the darn tests.

I will say this cruise is a bit different from my last cruise on symphony only because we now have to keep the mask on whenever indoors.  While it is a hassle it has not diminished my experience while on Anthem and everyone seems to be in compliance.  I feel really bad for the crew because on Anthem they are all double masked with N95s on their nose and then Royal issued cloth masks on top now that is rough but according to the crew Royal made this change to keep the crew safe and working as Omicron cases surged. I’m hearing they may relax that policy for the CREW (double mask) next week if cases continue trending downward.

On 2/1/2022 at 6:07 PM, wordell1 said:

Disappointing. I was hoping for a return to looser mask requirements now that Omicron has peaked in the US.  I'll still go on my March cruise on Liberty but honestly, there are a lot of vacation options that don't require masks.

Agree!

I think it may be happening sooner than later. many of the last remaining states with mandates, I believe 9 in all announced today plans to roll them back. Here in California, with some of the strictest rules throughout the pandemic we are throwing in the towel February 15th, no more masks in all but hospitals and mass transit, no testing needed to visit in hospitals or nursing homes or mega events and more rollbacks to come including schools but no date announced today on that.  While it isn't the center of the universe, it is about 1/8 of the US population. With New Jersey rolling back soon it almost covers all the states with cruise ports since Texas and Florida are mandate free. I think Royal will trail behind but stay near what is happening on land. I have a mid March cruise and hoping to at least go back to pre-omicron protocols of vaccinated areas and pretty much just wearing them in hallways and elevators and most people barely following those rules. But I've had 3 shots and got covid three weeks ago so I will be particularly crabby about wearing a mask since I am statistically the lowest possible candidate to spread or catch it no matter what study you look at. I think the odds  of me catching or spreading it are near the same as winning the powerball since I have three modernas and an omicron circulating in me. I caught it a week after getting off a cruise, tested negative every day for a week after and none of the other couples we traveled with caught it and we were maskless together at meals, outside and on excursions and in cabs. I got it wearing a mask back home, probably at a store or at work, following all of the rules which to me seem silly since it didn't protect me but no matter, it was just like a cold.

this may be an unpopular opinion...but I am ok with these protocols.

HOWEVER there is a specific reason for this. I am from Canada, and we still have that damn neg PCR to return. I appreciate the protocols while this rule exists because its facilitates being allowed back in my home country!

Once the neg PCR rule is lifted I`m happy to enjoy a mask free vacation.

50 minutes ago, Marlena said:

HOWEVER there is a specific reason for this. I am from Canada, and we still have that damn neg PCR to return. I appreciate the protocols while this rule exists because its facilitates being allowed back in my home country!

Ditto!  Feel the exact same way.

NCL  is dropping mask mandates across the board starting March 1, hoping others follow soon!

Our cruises will operate with 100% vaccination of crew and guests age five and over, therefore face coverings are not required while onboard. However, we recognize the added protections provided when wearing a mask covering and recommend that all guests do so onboard when indoors, except when actively eating or drinking, or seated at a table in a dining setting, or when in their stateroom. Mask coverings are also recommended outdoors when physical distancing of at least six (6) feet cannot be maintained. The decision to wear a mask covering when onboard is at the discretion of each guest.

7 hours ago, Marlena said:

I agree about the return PCR test to Canada. My family has decided that we're not travelling until Canada lifts the PCR testing requirement. It's too stressful now that they add the risk for fines or quarantine in the US.

We have a few cruises booked this year. I hope we don't need to cancel them.

On 2/2/2022 at 4:31 AM, mattymay said:

I'll counter the above. Had household family members with Omicron. Applied simple measures like wearing a mask in common areas, washing hands regularly. Guess what? Didn't get it. Simple measures like this work..maybe not 100% of the time but they do help. 

Also, masks don't just stop someone spitting on you, they also prevent you from touching your nose and mouth (which we do more often than we realise) after touching an infected surface.

Anyways, back to cruising. 2 years this week since the ship ban. Life sucks in Australia.

I caught COVID last month as a fully vaccinated adult, and no one in my house (including 2 unvaccinated kids) caught it without doing anything crazy like wearing a mask in my own home or depriving my kids from the full faced love of their mother for 5-10 days. 

You cannot say that "simple measures work". In fact, most evidence suggests it is tantamount to voodoo at this point, yet people commiting the same logical fallacy as the one you just made are setting policy from CDC in place under the belief that "well, it can't hurt". Except it can, and it's beginning to tread beyond foolishness.