Grand cayman

Jim D

Grand Cayman just announced on October 14 that they are extending their cruise ship ban Until February 2022. My question is why have none of itineraries been changed for ships that are selling within the next 3 to 4 weeks and why are they continuing to sell cruises listing Grand Cayman as a destination that is only lying to people who may particularly want to go to that island 

23 minutes ago, Jim D said:

Grand Cayman just announced on October 14 that they are extending their cruise ship ban Until February 2022. My question is why have none of itineraries been changed for ships that are selling within the next 3 to 4 weeks and why are they continuing to sell cruises listing Grand Cayman as a destination that is only lying to people who may particularly want to go to that island 

You answered your own question - they *just* announced it on the 14th. Royal simply hasn't had time to update their site, most likely.

2 minutes ago, GKMCruising said:

You answered your own question - they *just* announced it on the 14th. Royal simply hasn't had time to update their site, most likely.

The ban has been effect since the spring/summer of this year. They just announced the extension into next year the the 14th. And they is the cabinet ministry of grand cayman. 

3 minutes ago, GKMCruising said:

The original ban weas supposed to go until December 31.  The extension was just added 

Maybe they haven't found alternative ports yet and dealt with all the logistics that go into it. Who knows. It's in the cruise contract that ports of call are subject to change.  And with the everything that's gone on over the last  19 months it is to be expected that it will continue to be a fluid situation. If I've learned anything about cruising as a vacation, if you can't deal with change and uncertainty it's probably not a good vacation choice for you even without being in a pandemic

11 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Maybe they haven't found alternative ports yet and dealt with all the logistics that go into it. Who knows. It's in the cruise contract that ports of call are subject to change.  And with the everything that's gone on over the last  19 months it is to be expected that it will continue to be a fluid situation. If I've learned anything about cruising as a vacation, if you can't deal with change and uncertainty it's probably not a good vacation choice for you even without being in a pandemic

I was just wonder if it has been banned since the start of cruising again why was it ever on the itineraries.  Not that I should stop cruising because of it.  

40 minutes ago, Jim D said:

I was just wonder if it has been banned since the start of cruising again why was it ever on the itineraries.  Not that I should stop cruising because of it.  

As @smokeybanditmentioned, GC has had a love/hate relationship with cruising for many years.  Frankly, they do not need the revenue from cruising like so many other Caribbean destinations do so they will or won't begin allowing cruise ships when they're ready and not before.  GC is a very handy stop for cruise ships that leave from south Texas or western FL so it has been a routine stop for a while.  I'm guessing that is why it was originally scheduled in but that doesn't mean it will continue to be a cruise ship port of call.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

As @smokeybanditmentioned, GC has had a love/hate relationship with cruising for many years.  Frankly, they do not need the revenue from cruising like so many other Caribbean destinations do so they will or won't begin allowing cruise ships when they're ready and not before.  GC is a very handy stop for cruise ships that leave from south Texas or western FL so it has been a routine stop for a while.  I'm guessing that is why it was originally scheduled in but that doesn't mean it will continue to be a cruise ship port of call.

Our itinerary doesn’t leave from Texas or western Fl. 

22 minutes ago, D Alt said:

Finally got my change of itinerary for Grand Cayman...now Costa Maya.  Jewel - 11/15-11/20

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Mon

Miami, Florida

5:00 PM

Tue

Cruising

Wed

Costa Maya, Mexico

8:00 AM

5:00 PM

Thu

Cozumel, Mexico

7:00 AM

6:00 PM

Fri

Cruising

Sat

Miami, Florida

6:00 AM

I got this too for my Jewel sailing 11/28/21

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We have a cruise scheduled there in May and I am not optimistic that it will be open then. A lot can happen between now and then but all ports are in flux and seem to be for the near future. The ones in the Caribbean that are open are starting to get a lot of business and it is just increasing.

• 3 weeks later...