eMed/ BinaxNOW Tests

DanielB

5 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

Perhaps that Binax self test is offered at doctors or clinics that can then provide you with the proper documents.

sadly I envision  people purchasing this test and thinking the results are ok….but won’t have documents.  That’s the reason I provided the distinction.  I almost purchased the wrong tests thinking “I only need 2”….now I’ve purchased the correct 6 pack from emed.

Who knows for sure.  I am sure that anyone with some sort of medical id can easily make up a printed sheet and give you a test result.  I know it says no hand written notes are accepted but honestly it's easy enough to forge the documentation either way.

Was looking up some info on testing sites as well and came across this for those who may be looking:  

https://doineedacovid19test.com/

They are doing free stuff but they clearly state that they can't guarantee when results will show up.  I may use one a week before I head to a port area though instead of wasting a kit.

22 minutes ago, MuttMutt said:

Well my tests showed up today. They show to expire 10-04-21 but that has been extended to January 3rd through an ammended cdc shelf life change for the kits.  I wish they would expire closer to March but it's all good. 

Scares me that they expire so soon, not much help for a Nov, Dec, Jan cruise schedule, looks like they are dumping old stock now

18 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

Scares me that they expire so soon, not much help for a Nov, Dec, Jan cruise schedule, looks like they are dumping old stock now

They are good for those Nov. and Dec. cruises.  Who knows what January will mean.  Might not even need tests then.  

I too was surprised by the shorter than expected expiration date but I'll have no problem using mine up before January 5.  

Kind of sleazy on eMed's part but they are not the first american company to capitalize on the virus and make bank from it. 

49 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm not sure why eMed is at fault. 

Because eMed is stating the expiration date of the test they are selling has been extended 12 months.  

They have not been.  The expiration dates for current tests being sold by eMed currently have been extended by 3 months according to Abbott.

The tests being sold now by eMed originally had an 8 month expiration from date of manufacturer.  For these tests, the FDA has authorized a 3 month extension taking the expiration to 11 months from the date of manufacture.

Abbott had received an FDA authorization to extend the expiration of select test kits that originally had a 6 month expiration date.  The FDA approved these "select" tests with a 6 month expiration to be extended to 12 months.  This 6 month extension is being improperly offered by eMed as a 12 month extension but it does not apply to all Abbott Binax tests.  It only applied to the ones that originally had a 6 month expiration date and eMed is not selling those right now.

eMed is to blame for the misleading marketing and incorrectly stating there is a 12 month extension.  For tests being currently sold by eMed there is a 3 month extension.

It's not clear what Optum is doing or what expiration dates their tests are shipping with currently.

It seems Optum is equally sleazy.  Frequent flyers have been trying to use the same tests for international travel.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33468753-post110.html

This user eventually received a full refund from Optum after they received tests with just 2 1/2 months of expiration with an apology acknowledging the uncertainty in expiry dates. 

It seems like Abbott manufactured a bunch of these earlier this year but didn't sell a lot of them so the stockpile in the warehouse grew.  Along comes the delta variant and suddenly their tests are in demand so Abbott is shipping old product to their partners.

23 minutes ago, twangster said:

It seems Optum is equally sleazy.  Frequent flyers have been trying to use the same tests for international travel.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33468753-post110.html

This user eventually received a full refund from Optum after they received tests with just 2 1/2 months of expiration with an apology acknowledging the uncertainty in expiry dates. 

It seems like Abbott manufactured a bunch of these earlier this year but didn't sell a lot of them so the stockpile in the warehouse grew.  Along comes the delta variant and suddenly their tests are in demand so Abbott is shipping old product to their partners.

It would be nice if short dated tests were sold at a discount. That’s wishful thinking in the current environment 🙄 

I'm assuming everyone is using https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en to verify the new expiration date based on their lot number?

Initially I didn't see the lot number because you have to slide the "Do Not Open" over to find the sticker (I was looking for it to be stamped into the box). Fortunately, mine expire in January and we're cruise in October. I guess I'll have buy more for our March cruise, if the protocols are still in place.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Because eMed is stating the expiration date of the test they are selling has been extended 12 months.  

They have not been.  The expiration dates for current tests being sold by eMed currently have been extended by 3 months according to Abbott.

The tests being sold now by eMed originally had an 8 month expiration from date of manufacturer.  For these tests, the FDA has authorized a 3 month extension taking the expiration to 11 months from the date of manufacture.

Abbott had received an FDA authorization to extend the expiration of select test kits that originally had a 6 month expiration date.  The FDA approved these "select" tests with a 6 month expiration to be extended to 12 months.  This 6 month extension is being improperly offered by eMed as a 12 month extension but it does not apply to all Abbott Binax tests.  It only applied to the ones that originally had a 6 month expiration date and eMed is not selling those right now.

eMed is to blame for the misleading marketing and incorrectly stating there is a 12 month extension.  For tests being currently sold by eMed there is a 3 month extension.

It's not clear what Optum is doing or what expiration dates their tests are shipping with currently.

Another nightmare scenario…doing what appears to be everything right. Getting the test kit, going through the testing procedure with a proctor, getting the result, having it on my phone and printing it out so it’s in my hand. 
Then being turned away at the port because the test had expired the previous month. 
I know it’s unlikely. The test should show expired when the QR code is scanned during testing…or there is no expiration date on the results email. But, still…..another bit of expectation anxiety to add to the pile.

Seems like no one was buying these tests before the summer so they stopped making them and shuttered the facilities where they were made.

https://www.businessinsider.com/covid-19-rapid-test-manufacturer-trashed-millions-of-products-report-2021-8

There will be no new ones made.  The ones being shipped now are the most current we will ever get.  

Based on the URLs to the revised expiration dates we are getting close to the end of the products that were made.  I wonder how many more are in the warehouse?

Once they are gone, they are gone.  They aren't making these anymore.  

Royal may find themselves promoting a solution that evaporates before our eyes right when we need it most.  

Glad I bought mine when I did.

4 hours ago, mathbees said:

I'm assuming everyone is using https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en to verify the new expiration date based on their lot number?

Initially I didn't see the lot number because you have to slide the "Do Not Open" over to find the sticker (I was looking for it to be stamped into the box). Fortunately, mine expire in January and we're cruise in October. I guess I'll have buy more for our March cruise, if the protocols are still in place.

Thanks for the link! At least now I know my six pack won’t expire next month!

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Based on the URLs to the revised expiration dates we are getting close to the end of the products that were made.  I wonder how many more are in the warehouse?

Royal may find themselves promoting a solution that evaporates before our eyes right when we need it most.  

I am not seeing anywhere where they will not be making more.  I had read on another forum from a user stating her family members were being recalled to a factory in Maine to ramp up production of the tests.

5 hours ago, mathbees said:

This document lists extended expiration dates for test with reference number 195-200, but everyone I know that have received their tests have reference number 195-100

6 hours ago, twangster said:

https://cen.acs.org/analytical-chemistry/diagnostics/COVID-19-antigen-assay-set/98/i34

Looks like they are preparing to produce 50 million tests per month

1 hour ago, TXcruzer said:

https://cen.acs.org/analytical-chemistry/diagnostics/COVID-19-antigen-assay-set/98/i34

Looks like they are preparing to produce 50 million tests per month

It's always interesting to look back and see what they said versus what actually occurred.  That's from 2020.  🙂

It's almost like their timing is unfortunate.  If they do reopen the factory by the time they are spitting out tests delta could be over.  

31 minutes ago, twangster said:

It's always interesting to look back and see what they said versus what actually occurred.  That's from 2020.  🙂

It's almost like their timing is unfortunate.  If they do reopen the factory by the time they are spitting out tests delta could be over.  

holy crap!! How did I miss that date??  This is embarrassing