Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Passport Expiration Question/Under 16


Recommended Posts

While checking in for my 28 June 2020 sailing today ( I am keeping positive & honestly it made me happy fully realizing this may not happen ) I realized my daughter (14) has an expiration date of 01 February 2021 on the passport as it is only good for 5 years. Under 16 may not be renewed on-line and we must go in person for the renewal.

My specific question is this, we have our Thanksgiving sailing (fingers crossed) scheduled for 20 November 2020 so her passport will expire within the 6 month window of expiration. We are embarking at Port Everglades going to Aruba, Labadee, and Curacao returning to Port Everglades. Will the current passport still be okay or do I need to renew it for the November sailing? I was hoping it would be okay and respond to the passport Office next year upon actual expiration of the document, plus we have our sailing in 2021 in August, thus leaving us plenty of time. 

Thank you for any knowledge regarding this uncertainty. 

Wishing everyone here and all those in our RCCL family safety & health 💙

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Neesa said:

While checking in for my 28 June 2020 sailing today ( I am keeping positive & honestly it made me happy fully realizing this may not happen ) I realized my daughter (14) has an expiration date of 01 February 2021 on the passport as it is only good for 5 years. Under 16 may not be renewed on-line and we must go in person for the renewal.

My specific question is this, we have our Thanksgiving sailing (fingers crossed) scheduled for 20 November 2020 so her passport will expire within the 6 month window of expiration. We are embarking at Port Everglades going to Aruba, Labadee, and Curacao returning to Port Everglades. Will the current passport still be okay or do I need to renew it for the November sailing? I was hoping it would be okay and respond to the passport Office next year upon actual expiration of the document, plus we have our sailing in 2021 in August, thus leaving us plenty of time. 

Thank you for any knowledge regarding this uncertainty. 

Wishing everyone here and all those in our RCCL family safety & health 💙

You will be absolutely fine with this Passport for your November itinerary. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

@Matt, @Lovetocruise2002, Related to this thread. I have gone ahead and submitted/requested/paid for my daughters new passport as the one she has expires soon. Of course they needed the birth certificate so we made a copy as of course "only the original" would be accepted. The processing times due to this COVID situation are "you should likely have it by the end of the year". Okay, so they have both her passport AND her birth certificate, will RCCL accept a photo copy of her original birth certificate? We have relocated so to get a duplicate birth certificate would really be a huge hassle. Not sure when we may start sailing again, but in the slimmest chance we do (we have a 11/20/20 4 night Mariner) still on the books just going to Coco 2X & Nassau (not leaving the ship) am I going to have to get another "original BC or will the photo copy do??

Thank you.

frustrated fuck my life GIF

Edited by Neesa
Corrected sail date
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Neesa I can't answer about whether RC accepts copies. But the county I live in allows you to request an original birth certificate via mail (would probably need to get the request notarized), or via a company called Vital Check. You might want to see what the options are for the county you relocated from.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@KJones, @twangster, @Lovetocruise2002, oh boy another I told you so moment in my home! Thanks for the 411, I went ahead and did the Vital Check and while it put me back 52.00$ I will have peace of mind knowing I have a duplicate original in about 5 days. It was a pretty easy and quick process with a computer....and credit card. 25.00 for document + 7.00 processing fee + 20.00 overnight mail for security purposes. Still much better then driving to NJ from Florida and then going to the local health dept.  

Again thanks for the info everyone! Have an enjoyable weekend. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always had paid for duplicates when my children were born.  Our children are 30, 28 and 26.  We were a military family for decades and knowing that we would move often, we were told to do this by the legal advisers.  1 we kept with us.  1 was given to my Mom, in case it got lost during a move.  The lawyers not only advised us to do that, but also during his active duty career my Mom had an official copy of our marriage certificate, living wills and last will and testaments.  

Once we retired and grown kids, I got the birth certificates back from my Mom.  My kids have their original in their home, and I have an official in my home.

Point being it is smart investment to do so for the just in case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neesa said:

@KJones, @twangster, @Lovetocruise2002, oh boy another I told you so moment in my home! Thanks for the 411, I went ahead and did the Vital Check and while it put me back 52.00$ I will have peace of mind knowing I have a duplicate original in about 5 days. It was a pretty easy and quick process with a computer....and credit card. 25.00 for document + 7.00 processing fee + 20.00 overnight mail for security purposes. Still much better then driving to NJ from Florida and then going to the local health dept.  

Again thanks for the info everyone! Have an enjoyable weekend. 

After all your troubles...I sooo hope you get to sail on your November cruise!!  Best of luck...

Link to post
Share on other sites

We also stuck.  My son's passport expires January (next potential cruise is March, then August).  He turns 16 in April.  DH is thinking if we can't get him a passport soon and March is out, then we wait for his birthday and apply for an adult one.  Don't want to mail in his birth certificate so waiting for things to open for everyone where you can go in person...but then the backlog and line ups will be nuts.  So worried when we can apply, that passports won't come in time.  We're Canadian and we do have Nexus (and Aug we can potentially drive, although its a long drive) but not sure we are comfortable travelling without a passport.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Neesa said:

@Matt, @Lovetocruise2002, Related to this thread. I have gone ahead and submitted/requested/paid for my daughters new passport as the one she has expires soon. Of course they needed the birth certificate so we made a copy as of course "only the original" would be accepted. The processing times due to this COVID situation are "you should likely have it by the end of the year". Okay, so they have both her passport AND her birth certificate, will RCCL accept a photo copy of her original birth certificate? We have relocated so to get a duplicate birth certificate would really be a huge hassle. Not sure when we may start sailing again, but in the slimmest chance we do (we have a 11/20/20 4 night Mariner) still on the books just going to Coco 2X & Nassau (not leaving the ship) am I going to have to get another "original BC or will the photo copy do??

Thank you.

frustrated fuck my life GIF

I don't understand why you had to send the BC for a renewal.  Every renewal I have ever done, all you needed was the renewal application and the old passport.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

I don't understand why you had to send the BC for a renewal.  Every renewal I have ever done, all you needed was the renewal application and the old passport.

think it's different for kids renewals

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TXcruzer said:

I don't understand why you had to send the BC for a renewal.  Every renewal I have ever done, all you needed was the renewal application and the old passport.

@Matt and @Baked Alaska are correct. She is 14 and it is only good for 5 years and super inconvenient. Yes I had to ALSO send in her current passport in addition to the BC which is crazy because we did that previously to get the first one. Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

Cartoon Travel GIF by Scooby-Doo

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was nervous about my original birth certificate getting lost in the mail, so I made sure to order an officially certified copy and I used that to send off for my passport.  It was a small price to pay for the peace of mind that I still had a birth certificate on hand in case i needed it while they were processing my passport.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Neesa said:

@KJones, @twangster, @Lovetocruise2002, oh boy another I told you so moment in my home! Thanks for the 411, I went ahead and did the Vital Check and while it put me back 52.00$ I will have peace of mind knowing I have a duplicate original in about 5 days. It was a pretty easy and quick process with a computer....and credit card. 25.00 for document + 7.00 processing fee + 20.00 overnight mail for security purposes. Still much better then driving to NJ from Florida and then going to the local health dept.  

Again thanks for the info everyone! Have an enjoyable weekend. 

Yay! Glad it worked out for you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, for minors, both parents/guardians (or some kind of permission from an ex) and the child need to go apply for a passport renewal, at the county clerk, on a weekday between 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM. It's a minor inconvenience...  at least in the county and state we live in. I picked my son up early from school to do this, and the secretary gave me "the look" when I told her why we were taking him out of school 15 minutes early. 

We had the same itinerary you are inquiring about, my son's passport was to expire 5 months after the cruise. I worried about the same issue; but it was not a problem. This was BEFORE Covid.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

*****UPDATE*****

I purchased the duplicate birth certificate due to the information received from this strand within 5 days I had it! Now this morning, I just received an email from the Department of State (passport agency) that my daughters passport was complete and they were mailing it out. Targeted date to be here in Florida is 30 September 2020, I have to sign for it. I went to my local Post Office with her old passport book and completed her application on 27 August 2020, so lightening fast! Just wanted to update here on the time it took I think doing it before sailing resumed may have been the smart move. Thanks again for all the help with this one! FYI we were told at the Post office we would be lucky if we had it by the end of the year.

make will GIF

Link to post
Share on other sites

I never send original birth certificates. I keep those and have certified (raised seal) copies to submit for whomever might need it.  Here in CT those are obtained by a 5 minute, $20 visit to the local Town Clerk.  Hubby was born in New Hampshire but they have an on line request service, ordered 2 just in case.  
Those originals are kinda special and I would hate to have one lost.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...