Royal Caribbean Blog

The One with the In-Laws - Oasis Star Class - 2/23/2020

With the obvious lack of Oasis Star Class blogs recently, I thought I'd step up and do one as well.  The more the merrier, right?

Stealing from @Lovetocruise2002 for formatting:

Who’s Going?

Me, wife Abby, and 5 y/o Daughter Virginia, along with Abby's mom and dad (the in-laws).  It will be the in-laws first cruise in over 20 years, so going on an amplified Oasis will be quite the culture shock for them.  

Flight

Flying from STL to FLL the day before via SWA, then taking an Uber/Lyft to Miami to spend the night.  

Pre-Cruise Stay

Looking at hotel rooms, we were planning on staying at the Intercontinental, but rates were outlandish.  $500+ per night per room.  I couldn't believe that certain members of the Blog group would stay there at that price, so I was confused.  I did some research, and that weekend is the South Beach Food and Wine Festival, so everywhere was booked or crazy expensive.  So instead we are booked in a 2 bedroom suite at the Hyatt House near MIA for almost 50% of that rate, and for all 5 of us.  

Itinerary

This 7-night, Western Caribbean sailing, brings us to Falmouth, Cozumel, and Labadee.  No plans in Falmouth.  Cozumel we have El Cozumeleno booked, and in Labadee with have cabana B2 booked. 

Cabin

2 Bedroom ATS on deck 9 for us, we will try to keep it nice for you @Lovetocruise2002.  The in-laws are booked in a JS down the hall from us.  RCCL sent an email about 3 weeks ago saying that they overbooked JS for this sailing and offered to go to a Balcony room for $300 OBC and a full refund of the second passenger in the cabin.  We paid for this cruise as a Christmas present for them, so I pushed like hell for them to go to the standard balcony, but unfortunately they had already been on the blog and youtube looking at cabin information and were dead set on the JS...

Pre-Cruise thoughts

• We are beyond excited to see the newly amped Oasis of the Seas.  It's the only Oasis Class we've been on, and that was in November 2018.  I'm very excited for all of the slides, the escape room, and the prospect of actual brewed iced tea at Portside BBQ.  
  • No pre-cruise purchases because it’s Star Class, but I did snag the DX for my in-laws at $18/day.  
  • Looking forward to checking out the new Adventure Ocean, even though Virginia will probably be bummed out that @Matt's daughters won't be there too!
  • I think it's interesting that @Lovetocruise2002 and I have a different Genie even though we will be in the same cabin.  We have Smitha, whom I've heard great things about, but apparently it would be hard-pressed to go wrong with any of the Genies on Oasis.  Smitha has been great so far.  We got our initial email from her 1 day after our survey, on 1/7/20, and had a provisional schedule worked out about 3 days later.  
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having not edited any of these photos, here we go.   Dinner was in Izumi on the Sushi side.  There was only one other couple in the entire Sushi side.  Both hibachi tables were full.  Easy to tel

Labadee was super relaxing as always.  Last night was dinner was in Giovannis, and Star Class Food Coma is starting to set it.  It was tough to get through all of the food.  We had another "well-done"

Back to DEFCON 1. Red alert avoided. Pretzels have been found in the windjammer.     

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, betatke1480 said:

I think it's interesting that @Lovetocruise2002 and I have a different Genie even though we will be in the same cabin.

Haha. I have a theory on that one. Ask me in November over some Patron shots and I will share. 😉

8 more sleeps until our flight to FLL and it can't come soon enough.  Lots of stress here that I can't wait to get away from, as well as the high of 9F today...  Thinking of just hopping off in Cozumel and staying for keeps.  Lol.  

A little more info about this cruise for us, we're treating it as a "birthday" cruise for four of us.  Abby's is 2/20, father-in-law's is 2/27, mother-in-law's is 3/8, and mine is 3/18, so it's a good mix for all 4 of us.  Virginia just has to wait until Brilliance in October to celebrate her birthday, 10/13, with the RCBlog GC!

On 2/11/2020 at 3:55 PM, betatke1480 said:

The in-laws are booked in a JS down the hall from us.  RCCL sent an email about 3 weeks ago saying that they overbooked JS for this sailing and offered to go to a Balcony room for $300 OBC and a full refund of the second passenger in the cabin.  We paid for this cruise as a Christmas present for them, so I pushed like hell for them to go to the standard balcony, but unfortunately they had already been on the blog and youtube looking at cabin information and were dead set on the JS...

Ouch! Are you bitter? I think i would be bitter.  🤣😂🤣

As mentioned previously, the South Beach Food and Wine Festival is in Miami this weekend, so prices for hotels nearer to the cruise port were CRAZY expensive.  We flew into FLL via SWA and then Ubered to our hotel, the Hyatt House Miami Airport.  UberXL for 5 passengers and all of our bags was $80.  The Hyatt House is great.  We got a 2 Bedroom suite, so Abby and I are in one room, the in-laws in another, and Virginia is on the couch.  No pictures because we exploded our crap into the room, but you walk in and there's a full kitchen with a bar and 3 bar stools.  Then there is an "L"-shaped couch and TV.  On either side are the two bedrooms with en suite bathroom.  For all 5 of us the room was about $300, which for us all to be in one room is great, and we have a common area to share to watch TV.  

The hotel does have basic snacks in the bar downstairs, and is walking distance from a Publix, as an option for dinner or supplies pre-cruise.  There isn't a lot of restaurants nearby, but we used DoorDash for some Cuban sandwiches from Rincon Criollo, which were pretty tasty.  Tomorrow we have full breakfast included, so we're looking forward to taking advantage of that before we Uber over to the port.  

Landing was a bit dicey in FLL as there as a big wind shear right as we reached the runway, pilot on got the left side wheel down, and felt a little like we were about to flip and roll.  Luckily he saved it and we're alive to tell the story.  

I do have to remember to start taking pictures for the blog, and promise to do better once we start on our Voyage tomorrow!

Hotel was great for the night, and the free breakfast this morning was good. They had an omelette bar, waffles, scrambled eggs, etc. having been up since 7 am, we are restlessly waiting to go to the port. If Virginia had her way we would have left the hotel at 7:30. She was going around to all four of us saying “come on and get going. We need to get our taxi to the ship.”

We will probably leave here around 10 am and get to the port around 10:30 ish. Already planning what we will eat for lunch and what my first drink will be. We are leaning Playmakers for lunch and I’ll probably get my Kraken Lava Flow so that I’ll really feel like I’m on vacation. 

Virginia is currently in her “pillow car” driving us to the port. 

31662618-F464-414D-B6ED-9B5C60CFCB44.jpeg

14 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Glad you made it there safely!  🙂

Just reading about that landing makes me nervous. Imagine if @Matt was on that flight? 😣

Definitely the diciest landing I’ve had. Pilots were standing on the jetway as we got off and several people were congratulating them on getting us down safely. 

We have sailed Star before and miss it.  thanks for doing the live blog.  We are booked with some friends for our 30 anniversary.  It is my friends husband's first cruise and he will be blown away.  I am going to have him ready our blog.

If you like Kraken try the Zacapa rum on your lava flow.

Left the hotel at around 10 and we were in our room by 10:35. We barely had time to snag a glance at the propellers in Terminal A. Smitha was waiting for us at the suite lounge, so we didn’t even have a chance to stop there. Sandwiches and desserts were brought to the room, as well as a birthday cake for Abby. 

we also celebrated with champagne on the room. Then it was off to explore the ship with my in-laws. Lunch at playmakers. The buffalo chicken crunch rolls were the best thing we had. The rest of the food was good, but those were the favorites. Had a Michelob Ultra. Then off to the New Adventure Ocean. We ran into a teacher that Virginia had on the Anthem GC last year. The teacher is in the 6-12 year old class and told Virginia if she wants to move up from 3-5 she can.  We are going to play it by ear and see what she wants. 

after registering for AO we walked the pool deck then grabbed the first Kraken Lava Flow before a trip down the Ultimate Abyss. Much slower than expected, but was fun. 

I’ll come back and add pictures later. Now back to get more to drink before Muster Drill.