betatke1480

The One with the In-Laws - Oasis Star Class - 2/23/2020

27 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

I've heard great things about the crunchy chicken at Playmakers. ❤️ Covered with SC, I'm guessing? 

Are you staying up for the balloon drop?! 

Everything was covered at Playmakers for SC. 

probably not staying up for the balloon drop. 

after Muster Drill we grabbed a drink at Schooner Bar. We were delayed out of Miami due to an Alpha call and an ambulance needed. Now we’re going and beat the Norwegian Encore out of port since it had to turn around. Heading to Izumi for Sushi tonight and we can’t wait. Then watching the Aqua80s show from our balcony at 10:45. 

BE84ACA5-3835-4FBF-9699-5EBA47583446.jpeg

9864CA78-BC0C-446A-AFFF-91D470E25617.jpeg

D912CB94-4FDB-4418-8D96-F8A2E5A69D3B.jpeg

82CFF1D6-0F59-4C34-B39C-7F49957F0037.jpeg

D75E2153-8F24-4B1A-B9DC-D4F0008A2C73.jpeg

79C680C5-FE0D-49D8-9879-2DA41517C5DD.jpeg

9D823A33-2D64-48BE-A716-B87385E3D6A2.jpeg

C031F582-D21A-44EF-B2B8-2B238C28D8B9.jpeg

7720FC28-DAD0-43F3-9CD1-49C7EB1A5F5C.jpeg

50501B49-427F-4A05-B3A7-534411075796.jpeg

Having not edited any of these photos, here we go.  

Dinner was in Izumi on the Sushi side.  There was only one other couple in the entire Sushi side.  Both hibachi tables were full.  Easy to tell that few people know about specialty dining on the first night.  

Smitha came by while we were at dinner and asked what we wanted for snacks to eat during the Aqua80s show.  We finished dinner early and made it back to the room to watch the 8:30 show.  When we came in off of the balcony we had our snacks of chips and nachos, plus more chocolate covered strawberries (up to 12 so far), and our drinks.  Even though we asked for hard liquor, Smitha had our drinks delivered for the show.  One let down was not getting soft pretzels.  Shane, our genie on Anthem, had them pulled from the pub.  We asked Smitha for them since Virginia is a huge fan, and she wasn't able to get any to our room.  We'd even asked about them pre-cruise, so that was kind of a bummer.  As soon as Virginia came back to the room from Adventure Ocean, she was immediately asking for soft pretzels, so it's a big time bummer around here on that front.  

The 8:30 show was very good.  They took a couple of elements out due to the wind.  Oasis is a ship that you can rarely feel any movement.  Not sure if it's because we are all the way aft, but the seas are definitely rocking tonight.  It's cold and windy on the balcony, and the ship is moving enough to rattle the hangers in the closet, which is quite a bit for Oasis.  

Random thoughts from the day:

AO check-in is super easy now, and Virginia loved the new set-up.

Izumi was fantastic, as usual.  

While we love the room, it is disappointing they didn't update the SC rooms during the dry dock.  After having been in SC on Anthem, Oasis just feels dated in styling.  Also, we loved the loft for the large amount of space it gave us, and miss having the two stories, but the private bedrooms and a true "living room" are really nice.  

The Aqua Theater show is amazing.  Having not seen Aqua80s before, it is a big upgrade from Oasis of Dreams.  Also, watching from our balcony gives you a completely different perspective of the talent and "guts" required to do some of the things they do.  Also known as a "big box of NOPE" from me on some of these things.  

I will say the noise is a little loud in the living room, but in the bedrooms it isn't too bad.

I did a room tour, but the file is too big to upload.  Perhaps I'll upload it on dry land.  

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0879.jpeg

IMG_0881.jpeg

IMG_0901.jpeg

IMG_0906.jpeg

37 minutes ago, betatke1480 said:

One let down was not getting soft pretzels.

Long shot of memories from Symphony in May... Recall Chops at lunch having pretzel sticks/bread in the bread basket. Same with Mariner at lunch. Can't find any dinner bread offering photos.

No clue if Oasis might do the same. Worth a shot.

Ones on the left and right were the pretzel offerings at Chops on Mariner

20191028-20191028_120620.jpg.c957d23273d257af8de130d4df04ba9a.jpg

Love the pictures of the Aqua show, and the view from your room is amazing.

Quick question...The front few rows of the theater seem very empty compared to the rest of the venue which seems quite full. Are they reserved seats? Bad seats? Splash zone? Just wondering if there is a drawback (or limitation) to sitting that close.

25 minutes ago, Vangrizz said:

Love the pictures of the Aqua show, and the view from your room is amazing.

Quick question...The front few rows of the theater seem very empty compared to the rest of the venue which seems quite full. Are they reserved seats? Bad seats? Splash zone? Just wondering if there is a drawback (or limitation) to sitting that close.

They are definitely in the splash zone, and it was quite windy and chilly last night. 

Today has been a sea day and it’s been pretty lazy so far. We learned a valuable lesson about communication. We emailed our breakfast order to Smitha last night, ordering 6 scrambled eggs and 6 fried eggs to split among 4 of us. This morning, 12 plates of food arrived... we had 6 full orders of scrambled eggs with bacon, sausage, and hash browns. Plus 6 of the same with fried eggs. Whoops. 

After breakfast we went to the pool. Virginia was bummed she couldn’t go on the big water slides since she’s not tall enough, but she did the smaller one. 

Lunch was at E Loco Fresh and it was very good. The line was long but moved quickly. Everything was very tasty. We can back to the room, hoping there wouldn’t be any more food, and there wasn’t thankfully. That was until the doorbell rang at 2:45 and in came two trays of food plus kraken lava flow, captain morgan, anejo tequila, milkshake, and two unknown alcohols...  Food coma here we come. 

Now it’s time to get cleaned up for dinner.  Tonight is formal night and dinner in 150CP, then off to One Sky at 10:15  

Top Tier event was today and I watched the replay to get numbers  

157 emerald

316 diamond

187 diamond plus 

41 pinnacle

Top Cruiser: 8551 points  (Super Mario)

FE82C5B6-E393-4667-B92E-65F3A3C2DBA4.jpeg

150CP was delicious for dinner. I forgot to get pictures, but it was very good. I had the scallops and halibut. Abby had the pork belly and duck. MIL had pumpkin bisque and lobster thermidor. FIL had bisque and beef tenderloin (medium well, the savage!). Dessert was the fried cheesecake. 

I miss the salts, but the garlic butter bread is amazing!  

After dinner was One Sky. Smitha met us there and took us to our reserved seats. The show was ok. It was interesting to see what set pieces they reused from Come Fly With Me. The singing wasn’t great, but the acrobatics and dancing were quite good. 

We were really confused by the towel animals left for us. Pretty sure one is a rabbit and have no idea about the other. 

tomorrow we have a cabana in Labadee. B2, our favorite. It will be interesting to see how the buffet differs from July in Anthem as I know the Anthem CK manager took pride in making it more upscale. 

A1B93A71-F67A-47BC-8524-764F3CBB7AB2.jpeg

B38CD8EE-9517-46AC-847D-D6C741AA11FE.jpeg

5 hours ago, betatke1480 said:

It will be interesting to see how the buffet differs from July in Anthem as I know the Anthem CK manager took pride in making it more upscale. 

Lol. He claimed that he was the only one who did that. I often wonder where he is now as I found out he left Anthem a while back. I would love to sail with him again one day.

15 hours ago, betatke1480 said:

Today has been a sea day and it’s been pretty lazy so far. We learned a valuable lesson about communication. We emailed our breakfast order to Smitha last night, ordering 6 scrambled eggs and 6 fried eggs to split among 4 of us. This morning, 12 plates of food arrived... we had 6 full orders of scrambled eggs with bacon, sausage, and hash browns. Plus 6 of the same with fried eggs. Whoops. 

Haha, I wonder what she was thinking she she saw that order. Maybe that you had a sleepover? Or you guys are just really, really big fans of breakfast.

7 hours ago, betatke1480 said:

We were really confused by the towel animals left for us. Pretty sure one is a rabbit and have no idea about the other. 
A1B93A71-F67A-47BC-8524-764F3CBB7AB2.jpeg

Snake, maybe? Or a flowerpot.... 

Hmm....

8 hours ago, betatke1480 said:

Pretty sure one is a rabbit and have no idea about the other. 

Snake being lured out of a basket. I'm thinking side street of India and some man is playing a flute like instrument, cue snake.

Anthem pubs have food options that Oasis class pubs lack.  That's left over from the food options that "Michael's Pub" had when they were affiliated with Michael Schwartz on Quantum class. 

While Michael's Pub is no more, Quantum class pubs still have food and their own menu (from a small but dedicated pub galley).  That's why soft pretzels were available in the Anthem pub but not in the Oasis pub.  There is no pub galley in the back for Oasis class pubs.  

Thanks for taking the time to post, we will be in our first Star/ATS in May.  Are any of the onboard activities (ship tour, Escape Room, etc) included in SC or maybe is the reservation process a little more flexible if we decided on something last minute or wanted to change?

41 minutes ago, timm804 said:

Are any of the onboard activities (ship tour, Escape Room, etc) included in SC or maybe is the reservation process a little more flexible if we decided on something last minute or wanted to change?

Yes !!  All of the above !!  Cupcake decorating, sushi making also included.  Ship tours include bridge, galley and entertainment venue.  It is NOT the All Access Tour but it is good enough for $0$.  You can enjoy the Chef's Table, but they will charge you $25 per adult for the upgraded wine.  I know how stupid that sounds when you can get any almost wine any time you want it with SC, but them's the rules.  We had not done the Chef's Table in a number of years, but last Feb when we did our B2B SC cruises on Anthem, we did CT on the first cruise and really had a great time.  You will almost always meet some interesting people, and we did.  We asked them back to the Suite for a little mini-party (called the Genie and let her know what we wanted delivered) and it was really fun.

Labadee arrival at 7 am this morning.  We were a little late getting cleared to get off of the ship.  We had breakfast in our room again, but a normal portion this time.  Smitha came and got us at 9 am, and we took the magic elevator down to the gangway and then headed to our Cabana, B2.  Water was a little choppy today, but other than that is was great.  The buffet was upscale, but not near what we had on Anthem in July.  There were the usual suspects in addition to lamb chops, ribs, steaks, and pork chops.  Of course my first drink was the obligatory Labadoozie.  

All aboard is 3:30 but we were back on board at around 2, got cleaned up and then got our 3 pm food delivery.  And Smitha must be trying to get us drunk because we had more shots of tequila, Captain Morgan, mudslide, lava flow, etc.  

Tonight is Giovanni's for dinner and then the Ice Show afterwards.  

A couple of observations:

Anthem in July was our first SC cruise.  Our genie was amazing, but he just had us and I believe one other family.  Smitha has us and 4 other families, and you can tell.  She is fantastic, and is very personable, but Shane was "everywhere", where as we don't physically see Smitha as much.  It is odd that they added 2 more SC rooms during dry dock, but still only have 3 Genies.  

Another thing is the room.  We had the loft on Anthem and the 2BR ATS on Oasis.  The room location and layout are great, but there are a few things that don't make it feel like "Star Class".  The furniture is outdated, and I wish it would have been upgraded during the Amp.  In the shower in the Master Bedroom, my head hits the ceiling, although I know that won't bother @Lovetocruise2002 and her hubby.  I know those are quibbles, but just observations.  I'm assuming this is part of why SC rooms on Oasis and Allure are so much less than Symphony and Harmony, even post amplification.