twangster

Ovation Goes South to Hawaii Sept. 20, 2019

Day 4 - Sea Day

Quick update on position and conditions.  Temperature around 72°F and some sun today (yesterday was overcast).  Calm seas with a gentle swell from the West.  

BXqlElz.jpg

Our position on day 4.

FXdxHio.jpg

Voom holding up well, 4Mb down, 2Mb up.

For these sea days I'm basically working much like I would from land.  I'm holding back from posting a lot until we get to Hawaii.  There is a lot going on around the ship.  Enrichment talks continue.  Shows are going on.  Bumper cars are bumping, North Star is doing it's thing.  Weather getting warmer with each passing day as we sail South, supposed to be high 70's tomorrow.  Time changing 1 hour each night.

Next update in a day or maybe two.  

New experience for me - the Monday Night Football game was shown in the pub and on channel 40. 

We've crossed so many time zones and changed times enough that the game started at 3:45pm.   I'm used to watching MNF in the evening.  It was kind of bizarre walking past the pub and seeing football on TV.  Who knew?  An afternoon, MNF game :) 

Just wait until Thursday and this coming Sunday when we've moved the clock a few more times.

On 9/22/2019 at 1:43 PM, twangster said:

I saw a blog post about Ovation starting to use the new Royal app  so I tried the old Royal IQ app and found it still working.  Then I tried the new Royal app and sure enough it worked too. 

Royal IQ was suuuper buggy when I was on.  The cruise compass hardly ever loaded and you couldn't reserve anything in the app at all.  Dinner reservations never showed on the calendar either.  I'm guessing that they were concentrating on porting over to the new app during my cruise.

2 minutes ago, firebuck said:

Royal IQ was suuuper buggy when I was on.  The cruise compass hardly ever loaded and you couldn't reserve anything in the app at all.  Dinner reservations never showed on the calendar either.  I'm guessing that they were concentrating on porting over to the new app during my cruise.

RoyalIQ has been hit and miss for years.  I think that's why they gave up on it and created the new app a few years ago.  I could take your description and post it verbatim for an Anthem cruise in 2017.  

The new app is missing massive amounts of cruise compass items.  That too is consistent with my new Royal app experience on other ships over the past 12 months.   

It's a work in progress.  One day I hope to no longer need to say that.  Any year now...

48 minutes ago, twangster said:

New experience for me - the Monday Night Football game was shown in the pub and on channel 40. 

We've crossed so many time zones and changed times enough that the game started at 3:45pm.   I'm used to watching MNF in the evening.  It was kind of bizarre walking past the pub and seeing football on TV.  Who knew?  An afternoon, MNF game 🙂

Just wait until Thursday and this coming Sunday when we've moved the clock a few more times.

Try watching Monday night football on Tuesday like I do each week. Then try explaining it to your kids.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

How many times overall? Hawaii is only 3 hours different from west coast time so that seems weird you've already changed it so much! 

12 minutes ago, DDaley said:

How many times overall? Hawaii is only 3 hours different from west coast time so that seems weird you've already changed it so much! 

Nights 2, 3 & 4.

While the ship's master clock has changed, the itinerary channel and the billing system is slower to catch up.  Diamond drink coupons have to be entered manually at the bars since the billing system doesn't think it's diamond happy hour when it is.

On 9/22/2019 at 3:51 PM, twangster said:

Another early model 777X clad in the green protective vinyl coating that is applied during the assembly process to prevent dings and scratches on the factory floor. 

I saw a story this week that the first 777x flight is pushed back again due to problems with the Engines. It’s pushing back Emirates Premium Economy release as well. They can’t afford a problem on the 777x so I imagine they’ll be very deliberate with the release. 

11 hours ago, twangster said:

We've crossed so many time zones and changed times enough that the game started at 3:45pm.   I'm used to watching MNF in the evening.  It was kind of bizarre walking past the pub and seeing football on TV.  Who knew?  An afternoon, MNF game 🙂

That’s my favorite part of football Sunday’s on Vegas trips. Wake up, get breakfast, head to the sports book to make a day of bets. Being on the east coast I normally have to wait till 1pm. 

29 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

I saw a story this week that the first 777x flight is pushed back again due to problems with the Engines. It’s pushing back Emirates Premium Economy release as well. They can’t afford a problem on the 777x so I imagine they’ll be very deliberate with the release. 

Engines are out of their control, Boeing doesn't make engines.  Speaking of engines, they are the most expensive component on a wide body jet.  Know what the 2nd most expensive item is?

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

Engines are out of their control, Boeing doesn't make engines.  Speaking of engines, they are the most expensive component on a wide body jet.  Know what the 2nd most expensive item is?

Yes,  very aware of the engines coming from GE, but with the Max issues, if something happened the news cycle would never blame GE. 

38 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

That’s my favorite part of football Sunday’s on Vegas trips. Wake up, get breakfast, head to the sports book to make a day of bets. Being on the east coast I normally have to wait till 1pm. 

Games start 7am this Sunday, followed by 10:25am.  Sleep in and you've missed most of it.  Might make spouses happier though.  Still lots of daylight for the honey-do list afterwards.

20 hours ago, twangster said:

Still waiting.....what's the 2nd most expensive item????