Who here uses the jogging/running tracks in the morning?

We are on the absolutely beautiful Anthem of the seas and it's been an awesome time. Tough at times with a 2 year old but just gotta take the good with the bad. 

I'm doing something or trying to do something I always wanted to do on cruises and use the jogging/running track on the ship but as a rookie would like some pointers. Now this is a "winter" cruise so weather has been an issue, no rain but good Lord windy. Most days the very front of the ship was closed so you had to kinda make a 3 quarters way around and not the full track. 

I have been waking up or getting out to the track at around 5:45/6:00 which seems to be a sweet spot. It feels awesome, just awesome getting in 10,000 or more steps before breakfast. Always holy cow is it beautiful when you get a good sunrise. I came around the very front of the ship one morning not even knowing the sunrise was coming and there it was, just stunning. 

Now we are on Liberty in October which weather is definitely going to be an issue to Canada. Then we are on Liberty again on May 2025 to Halifax and then Bermuda back to back. 

What are some tips for using the jogging/running track? By the way I'm just walking briskly. I stick to the right and I always make sure to not get in the way of actual runners. Is wind pretty much an issue on most sailings? Is around 6 o'clock the best time because it seems to be on this cruise at least. Thanks. 

37 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Is around 6 o'clock the best time because it seems to be on this cruise at least.

Another quiet time is from 4.30 pm onwards as it starts to cool down and folks begin drifting away from the top deck to get ready for their evening activities.

I'm not sure that timing would work for you though, with the little one.

1 minute ago, ChessE4 said:

I always listen for runners behind me and check before passing slower walkers. I am vigilant about obstructions or flooring changes. Oasis class has ramps periodically, for example. On smaller ships I don't wear a hat on top deck due to wind. I agree early AM is best time.

I wish everyone was like you. As a serious runner, I only ever use the track on Oasis class ships (on other ships I use the treadmills in the gym) and it's clearly marked that walkers should keep left and runners keep right. I've lost count of the number of times this is ignored by groups of several people who spread themselves across the whole track and don't listen out for runners. Sometimes they don't move even when I yell at them that I'm coming through and I end up having to try and dodge around them. On a couple of occasions it hasn't been possible to avoid them and I've bumped into them. 😤

51 minutes ago, AandD said:

For me, I only use the running track in the early morning on the Oasis class ships. I dont like the smaller cramped feel of the tracks on the upper decks. But if its early morning you shouldnt see so many people. You will just have the weather to deal with. 

I was going to say the Oasis class ships in my opinion have the better jogging track set up. It's lower and that's all it is, it's not where chairs are set up to sunbathe. 

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I have been waking up or getting out to the track at around 5:45/6:00 which seems to be a sweet spot. It feels awesome, just awesome getting in 10,000 or more steps before breakfast. Always holy cow is it beautiful when you get a good sunrise. I came around the very front of the ship one morning not even knowing the sunrise was coming and there it was, just stunning. 

My wife was an avid runner for many years and recently switched to walking. This has been her routine for a long time. I'm also an early riser but I head to the CL for coffee and then find a pre-breakfast snack to go with it, not exercise, lol.

I don't really have any tips for you (you already figured out to go early) and I've never been on Q-class, but on Oasis class there are usually chairs behind the aqua theater facing aft right by the track. I've brought my coffee there before and watched the sunrise and the wake of the ship while watching my wife pass by, lol. So I guess that's a tip for anyone who wants a nice quiet early morning spot and may have a cruise-mate on the track.

1 minute ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I was going to say the Oasis class ships in my opinion have the better jogging track set up. It's lower and that's all it is, it's not where chairs are set up to sunbathe. 

I think my wife prefers the open upper deck (from Freedom class) so that she's more open to the sky and sea and not running under the life boats in that corridor. Different pros and cons I guess.

30 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

I wish everyone was like you. As a serious runner, I only ever use the track on Oasis class ships (on other ships I use the treadmills in the gym) and it's clearly marked that walkers should keep left and runners keep right. I've lost count of the number of times this is ignored by groups of several people who spread themselves across the whole track and don't listen out for runners. Sometimes they don't move even when I yell at them that I'm coming through and I end up having to try and dodge around them. On a couple of occasions it hasn't been possible to avoid them and I've bumped into them. 😤

I just learned something, I thought right was walking, left was running. I didn't see any markings here on Anthem indicting which is which. The runners here seem to be on the left though which is why I stuck to the right walking. It's really, really rough as it gets a bit later as people are waking up with coffee in hand and just walking all over the track at a snails pace. Even I found that annoying and saw that was an issue on the first day. Maybe I'll try treadmills at some point but that seems a bit boring as going around the ship is just gorgeous. Thanks for the info. 

I tend to go early in the morning. maybe 6ish, before sunrise. Not many people on the track at that time and I usually find as the week goes on there are less and less. Like watching the sun rise. In the Caribbean it's amazing how fast it heats up once the sun rises. I found being windy was hit and miss. Some days it's not walkable, other days are fine

41 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I just learned something, I thought right was walking, left was running. I didn't see any markings here on Anthem indicting which is which. The runners here seem to be on the left though which is why I stuck to the right walking. It's really, really rough as it gets a bit later as people are waking up with coffee in hand and just walking all over the track at a snails pace. Even I found that annoying and saw that was an issue on the first day. Maybe I'll try treadmills at some point but that seems a bit boring as going around the ship is just gorgeous. Thanks for the info. 

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. The markings I was referring to are on the dedicated track on deck 5 of Oasis class ships, so you wouldn't see them on Anthem, where the track is up top. I honestly couldn't say if there's any prescribed walker/runner use on Anthem or other non-Oasis class. Maybe it's just a case of one person starting on a particular side and others following suit.

One thing I did notice on my recent cruise on Symphony was that the loungers and deck chairs on the top deck were all roped together so they couldn't be moved around. That is a huge improvement for anyone wanting to walk or run up top because, in the past, you'd often be having to dodge around loungers that folks had moved to better catch the sun!

I absolutely agree with you that the treadmills are deadly dull in comparison to the gorgeous views you get going around the deck. I only use them because it's the only way to get in a decent session. At least they usually have a nice view out of the window! 😂

2 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I've lost count of the number of times this is ignored by groups of several people who spread themselves across the whole track and don't listen out for runners. Sometimes they don't move even when I yell at them that I'm coming through and I end up having to try and dodge around them. On a couple of occasions it hasn't been possible to avoid them and I've bumped into them. 😤

I HATE this!!!!!!  They are totally oblivious to the people who are really trying to workout.  I always stay to the right and look behind me when trying to pass the slower walkers.  On Anthem (out of NJ) the 1st day and last day during the winter are the real workouts on the track.  The wind is crazy but fun.  I try to get out between 7-7:30 in the morning at least 4 days.  I have to admit that I don't know how to use a treadmill.  I always run or walked outdoors even in the winter.  Something about being outdoors just makes me feel better.

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I do a lot of running on the ship (track or treadmill).  Anxiously awaiting pics and reports of the gym and track on Icon!!

Typically the left is for runners or fast walkers....always common courtesy to go back to the right lane after passing.   Early in the morning is best time for me with less people out and no sunscreen needed.  No shade for most ships.    Anytime after about 7:30 or 8AM turns into people and chair dodging.  No fun.

Oasis ships are better protected from sun and wind and have less people wandering around the track during day.

On Anthem, lanes are marked at starting area towards the back starboard side of the ship....before you get to the groovy van and rock climbing wall.  See pic below. 

run track.jpg

6 minutes ago, ScottD said:

I haven't been yet, but is it true that the tracks on the freedom class ships incline a little toward the front? On liberty it looks like they gradually go up a deck when you get to the fwd section of the ship. 

I've never noticed that on Indy or Freedom but my wife would know better.

Check out the running track on Enchantment if you're bored. That ship was literally cut in half during a dry dock and they added a brand new middle section then put it back together. You can most easily tell the new section on the track up top b/c there's a big hump in the middle... that's the new part.

9 minutes ago, MaryS said:

I HATE this!!!!!!  They are totally oblivious to the people who are really trying to workout.  I always stay to the right and look behind me when trying to pass the slower walkers.  On Anthem (out of NJ) the 1st day and last day during the winter are the real workouts on the track.  The wind is crazy but fun.  I try to get out between 7-7:30 in the morning at least 4 days.  I have to admit that I don't know how to use a treadmill.  I always run or walked outdoors even in the winter.  Something about being outdoors just makes me feel better.

Totally agree.  I deal with this at my local gym too.  I warm up on 2 lane track for easy jog before hitting the treadmill.  Frequently navigate around 2 or 3 people walking side by side and totally unaware someone else might be using the track too.  Our track is so small that it takes 18 laps to make a mile.  You wouldn't believe how many people are "surprised" when I come around 40 seconds later and pass them again....and again.   They keep walking side by side.    It's turned out to be good training for the ship.

2 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Glad it's not just me that has this problem.... 

I'm the same way, I only run on the Oasis class track and treadmill for the other classes since only the Oasis class has the potential to not be running people over every 10 steps.

21 minutes ago, ScottD said:

I haven't been yet, but is it true that the tracks on the freedom class ships incline a little toward the front? On liberty it looks like they gradually go up a deck when you get to the fwd section of the ship. 

Freedom and Voyager class, no.  Quantum, yes (and the front can also be a pretty bad wind tunnel).

17 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

I do a lot of running on the ship (track or treadmill).  Anxiously awaiting pics and reports of the gym and track on Icon!!

Typically the left is for runners or fast walkers....always common courtesy to go back to the right lane after passing.   Early in the morning is best time for me with less people out and no sunscreen needed.  No shade for most ships.    Anytime after about 7:30 or 8AM turns into people and chair dodging.  No fun.

Oasis ships are better protected from sun and wind and have less people wandering around the track during day.

On Anthem, lanes are marked at starting area towards the back starboard side of the ship....before you get to the groovy van and rock climbing wall.  See pic below. 

run track.jpg

Awesome, I was right. Walking to the right. I honestly didn't even see that. 🤣 Good I was in the right though. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Oasis class definitely has the best track setup for running.  It's longer and covered and out of the way. 

Quantum class is ok-ish as long as the top deck isn't too crowded. It's longer and usually not too many people (and usually colder weather itineraries), but the front has a slight slope and can be a wind tunnel at times.

Freedom and Voyager class, forget it!  Too many people and too short of a track.

Radiance class, definitely too small.

I walk with Mrs Geezer every cruise at least once, all my back will allow. First cruise on Mariner I was a traffic obstruction to joggers, even in the designated walking lane.

On subsequent cruises, we just went down to the "embarkation" deck of the ships (Jewel, Wonder, & Mariner again).  Mariner we had to cut across the Promenade at the bow end to complete a circuit,  Wonder  was a full outdoor circuit, Jewel as well IIRC. Encountered joggers as well but no problem since the deck is wide to accommodate lifeboat boarding. Outdoors and a little sea spray, but enjoyable.

3 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

We are on the absolutely beautiful Anthem of the seas and it's been an awesome time. Tough at times with a 2 year old but just gotta take the good with the bad. 

I'm doing something or trying to do something I always wanted to do on cruises and use the jogging/running track on the ship but as a rookie would like some pointers. Now this is a "winter" cruise so weather has been an issue, no rain but good Lord windy. Most days the very front of the ship was closed so you had to kinda make a 3 quarters way around and not the full track. 

Now we are on Liberty in October which weather is definitely going to be an issue to Canada. Then we are on Liberty again on May 2025 to Halifax and then Bermuda back to back. 

What are some tips for using the jogging/running track? By the way I'm just walking briskly. I stick to the right and I always make sure to not get in the way of actual runners. Is wind pretty much an issue on most sailings? Is around 6 o'clock the best time because it seems to be on this cruise at least. Thanks. 

I like 5:00am better for a perfectly timed breakfast at 7am. It’s nice and quiet and a pleasure to be on any part of the ship during that hour. 

I do my walk along the track around 6pm. So many people are at dinner or getting ready for shows that it is the best time. I am up at 6am for work and not getting up extra early on vacation. Having done Indy, Mariner, and Freedom, there is a little bump/incline/chairs on deck, but it doesn't bother me. But oasis class have the best track because you are protected somewhat from the elements and aren't really surround by people watching you. 

Yes, my wife sleeps in when on vacation, and I often can not sleep that late, so I go running then often hit the fitness center.

On Oasis class, 10 laps is a little over four miles. Even early, I have issues with groups of people taking up the whole width, or worse a whole group taking a ton selfies. The track on Quantum classes is higher, but not appreciably shorter. The problem is you have to go early enough before people start laying out. Downside with the higher decks is that so many people go walk in the wrong direction.

@smokeybandit, I totally hear you - it doesn't matter if I'm on vacation or doing my normal day, I wake up at the same time ALL. THE. TIME. Argh.

While I'm not a fan of Oasis-class ships in general, I do love the track on there. It's fabulous at 5am, and then fabulous again after 9pm. 

@Va4fam 18 laps for 1 mile?!?? Holy cow! I remember the student rec center at my college needed 12 laps for 1 mile, and I thought that was ridiculous. You win!

Love getting out on those tracks for walking/running. While I like being on the top deck for Voyager- and Freedom-class ships, I really don't like how small and narrow it is. However, at 5am, it's never an issue of avoiding other passengers, it's avoiding being sprayed by the hose from crew members! 🤣

43 minutes ago, Cactus527 said:

@smokeybandit, I totally hear you - it doesn't matter if I'm on vacation or doing my normal day, I wake up at the same time ALL. THE. TIME. Argh.

While I'm not a fan of Oasis-class ships in general, I do love the track on there. It's fabulous at 5am, and then fabulous again after 9pm. 

@Va4fam 18 laps for 1 mile?!?? Holy cow! I remember the student rec center at my college needed 12 laps for 1 mile, and I thought that was ridiculous. You win!

Love getting out on those tracks for walking/running. While I like being on the top deck for Voyager- and Freedom-class ships, I really don't like how small and narrow it is. However, at 5am, it's never an issue of avoiding other passengers, it's avoiding being sprayed by the hose from crew members! 🤣

Crew members with the 300 foot hoses at 5:30 AM?  Yes.   It gets pretty wet.  I feel bad running through their freshly cleaned areas.

7 hours ago, Va4fam said:

run track.jpg

Will let you know in a few weeks re: Icon track. 

9 hours ago, ScottD said:

You actually go up a flight of stairs, go around near the helipad, then go back down on the other side. So you get steps and flights in one session