"New Year, New Odyssey. Our Journey into 2024…" – OY 12/31/2023 – 01/06/2024

Lovetocruise2002

17 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

For lunch we went to Playmakers. This was our first opportunity to eat here this cruise. While I really like the playmakers menu, I did not like today’s experience at  all. 

First of all, I hate the location of Playmakers here. I know it makes sense, but because I already don’t like the Seaplex, having it here makes it feel like you are eating in a gym, and it smells like it too.  

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your experience!

We really had great service at Playmakers on Odyssey. I really like the location because of the Seaplex it just makes sense to have it in that themed area. The smell didn't bother us and we much preferred the location compared to the stale cigarette stench we had in Playmakers on Freedom.  I would agree the food is a bit underwhelming but the spicy wings are really good. I love spice and rarely satisfied in an American restaurant. Those wings had me crying and sweating! YUM

Now at FLL waiting for our flight. Very smooth disembarkation. Sergii came to our suite to pick us up around 8:10am. Walked us all the way down to the luggage claim area in the terminal. That is where we said our goodbyes to Sergii. Lyft was $18.80 for an XL and took about 5mins for it to show up. It was not mass chaos as it normally is in Miami. FLL is crowded today but the crowds are moving. From Suite to gate, it took about an hour and twenty minutes. 

Overall thoughts:

We had a great cruise this week on OY. It was great downtime and super relaxing, making the blog not too interesting, but much needed for our family. The kids were working like crazy with school stuff leading up to Christmas break, and Hubby and I have been dealing with a lot too over the month of December. It was nice to take some time to breathe and enjoy each other’s company this past week. 

OY is a beautiful ship! Modern, clean, friendly staff just about everywhere. It has the activities of QN class that my kids like, but also some nice upgrades to dining that are missing on QN class. It’s a “compromise” ship for our family between QN class and OA class. 

While not perfect, we would gladly sail this ship again. Like with all sailings, you just have to do your research, set your expectations accordingly, and you will have a great time. 

Thoughts on our cabin:

We had 8724 this week. It’s the middle loft on Deck 8. As some of you know, I love the GLS. I think I like it even better than than Star Loft. I fell in love with this cabin on Anthem and this one on OY is identical. The one thing that is different between this GLS and the one on AN is that the balcony door opens like a normal door. The whole family loved this change! It is so much more convenient than the normal sliding door. The mirrored glass is also a very nice touch. 

You do some some noise bleed from 270 in this room. We can hear music whenever there is something going on in 270, much like the ATS on Oasis class. If you are travelling with young kids, or if you go to bed early, this is something to keep in mind. 

The other minor complaint from the freeloaders about this cabin is that the downstairs lacks a vanity area. That is what puts the Star Loft over this cabin. The Star Lofts on OA class have a vanity area on both levels. 

But overall, I love this room and would not hesitate to book it again. 

8 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

While not perfect, we would gladly sail this ship again. Like with all sailings, you just have to do your research, set your expectations accordingly, and you will have a great time. 

completely agree.  I still think I prefer Oasis class over this, but I would definitely sail on Odyssey again in the future. 

3 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

The other minor complaint from the freeloaders about this cabin is that the downstairs lacks a vanity area. That is what puts the Star Loft over this cabin. The Star Lofts on OA class have a vanity area on both levels. 

But overall, I love this room and would not hesitate to book it again. 

The freeloaders only get a vote when they are no longer freeloaders 😂

Thoughts on Star Class on OY:

If you can get a good price on OY, then SC on this ship is good value. The reason being that there are only 5 SC cabins in total on this ship. That means that if each of those cabins were at full capacity, you would only have a maximum of 22 SC guests on any given sailing. I believe that gives the genie more flexibility in terms of getting reservations for you. Not as many SC guests to work around. 

Because there are only 5 SC cabins, there are only 2 genies on this ship. As I mentioned before, there are 2 pairs of loft attendants as well, one pair for the port side lofts, and one pair for the starboard side lofts. Our attendants were Tristan and Ronald on this sailing, and they were fantastic! Very friendly and personable. 

We had zero issues getting into the dining times, activities, and shows that we wanted. There were even a few times this week that we changed plans and it was never an issue. In contrast, just 9 months ago on HM, we could not move thing. Again, I think this is partially due to the low number of SC guests on OY. 

9 minutes ago, LandstromCruise said:

completely agree.  I still think I prefer Oasis class over this, but I would definitely sail on Odyssey again in the future. 

Same! I am still #teamOAclass but OY is a great substitute. Whereas, I do not like Anthem at all. 

7 minutes ago, LandstromCruise said:

The freeloaders only get a vote when they are no longer freeloaders 😂

That is what I told them 😂

Final thoughts on our Genie:

Our genie for this sailing was Sergii. In pre-cruise communication with him, I could already tell he was very thorough. We had a fantastic week with Sergii! He is a former loyalty ambassador so he has a lot of knowledge about the brand. Sergii is kind, personable, and he listens very attentively in conversations. There were times this week when something was mentioned by one of us in passing and the next thing you know, Sergii either made it happen, or got it for us. There were many times this week he went above and beyond. He reminds me of the “old school” genies, before the pandemic, before the cutbacks, where genies still went the extra mile. If anyone gets Sergii in the future, they are in good hands with him. 

I think that is everything. If I left anything out, please ask.

It was great meeting @WannaCruise and @recogneyes this week! I always love to meet others in this blog community. We should be sailing with @recogneyes again in March, so that is good, Hubby will have more company at the FlowRider! 

Next up for us if all goes well is the Icon inaugural! That one will just be Hubby and I. As for blogging, I sure those of us on it can do something joint 😉

Thank you all for following along with us this week and for the well wishes for my Dad. ❤️

Sabrina, waiting to fly home and I've now read your blog. It was so wonderful meeting you and @recogneyes in person!  So glad it worked out. 

It's fun reading your experience on the ship and hearing your thoughts as every family can experience things differently.  And of course, always interesting hearing your about your suite experience. Btw, I agree with you on The Book. The singing, dancing and special effects were great, but the show was I don't know....odd.  (And I also did a double take on the "person" lying in the Solarium...lol).

Too bad about our Haiti day weather but overall can't complain as certainly better than back home.

Safe travels back home and hopefully our cruise paths will cross again. 

7 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Next up for us if all goes well is the Icon inaugural! That one will just be Hubby and I. As for blogging, I sure those of us on it can do something joint 😉

I'm down if you start the thread! 😆

Maybe recruit @SpeedNoodles and turn it into mods gone wild 😂

We made it home around 6:30pm. Pretty exhausted. The flight was smooth, and on time. However, it took forever to get our bag at baggage claim today. Delta is usually very quick about it, but not today. Then, the border coming back into Canada was so backed up. We were stuck there for over an hour. Everything is unpacked, laundry will have to wait, getting into PJs and calling it quits today. Hubby has some nice photos that I never got to post on his phone, so I will share those tomorrow. 🙂

19 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Bad news @GregD. Hubby just took a look at the Visa charges this afternoon and said we are never booking the NYE tables again! Now cabanas and NYE are on the "no" list.

However, I am not one to give up so easily lol. To be continued...

You’ve got to get a new card that all cruise charges go on and hubby doesn’t have access to 😂😂

14 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Bad news @GregD. Hubby just took a look at the Visa charges this afternoon and said we are never booking the NYE tables again! Now cabanas and NYE are on the "no" list.

However, I am not one to give up so easily lol. To be continued...

Doesn't he know he is married to the YOLO Book it Queen? You may have to send him back to steerage.

In all seriousness though, thank you for sharing your trip with all of us. It looks like you all had an amazing time even though we forced you into the WJ.

I'm glad your trip home was somewhat uneventful. Can't wait to sail with you guys again in 357 days, even if Hubby is still being Scrooge.

14 hours ago, LandstromCruise said:

You’ve got to get a new card that all cruise charges go on and hubby doesn’t have access to 😂😂

I like this idea!!

On 1/6/2024 at 10:29 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I think that is everything. If I left anything out, please ask.

It was great meeting @WannaCruise and @recogneyes this week! I always love to meet others in this blog community. We should be sailing with @recogneyes again in March, so that is good, Hubby will have more company at the FlowRider! 

Thank you all for following along with us this week and for the well wishes for my Dad. ❤️

Sabrina, it was wonderful meeting up with you and @WannaCruise.  We will certainly look out for Justin in March on Oasis as he continues to show his Flowrider skills!   Sending good thoughts your way in the hopes your Dad continues to be stable and I really hope Icon can be a great week for you and your hubby. 

46 minutes ago, recogneyes said:

We will certainly look out for Justin in March on Oasis as he continues to show his Flowrider skills! 

Omg! I did not find out until dinner on that last night that he joined the “Best of the best” competition! 🤦🏻‍♀️ I heard that you were there too. They introduced him as the guy who saw “Charlie” (another FlowRider guy) more than his own wife on that sailing! 😂

18 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Omg! I did not find out until dinner on that last night that he joined the “Best of the best” competition! 🤦🏻‍♀️ I heard that you were there too. They introduced him as the guy who saw “Charlie” (another FlowRider guy) more than his own wife on that sailing! 😂

That's exactly the way they introduced Justin - I wanted to stand up and say "that is the absolute truth".  There's no way he was letting another ride on the Flowrider pass him by.  I'm not sure if he knows it or not, but you can rent the Flowrider for an hour and have it all to himself.  You can use that as a little negotiation tool for any future cruises you are looking at!

4 minutes ago, recogneyes said:

I'm not sure if he knows it or not, but you can rent the Flowrider for an hour and have it all to himself. 

Oh, he is well aware. He is too cheap to do it. Private Flowrider rental is on the "no" list along with cabanas, and NYE tables lol

15 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Oh, he is well aware. He is too cheap to do it. Private Flowrider rental is on the "no" list along with cabanas, and NYE tables lol

We've done it a few times for the kids and it is awesome.  My two oldest are not travelling with us in March so we won't be doing it then as my youngest doesn't enjoy it like they do.  I think Dave could talk him into it lol!

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this summary of Odyssey of the Seas in a grand loft suite. Your trip reports from years ago were a great help to me in preparation for our first Star Class experience last year on Anthem of the Seas, and now that I've just booked a grand loft suite on Odyssey I see that you have me covered for that too.

2 hours ago, Saiwung said:

Thank you for this summary of Odyssey of the Seas in a grand loft suite. Your trip reports from years ago were a great help to me in preparation for our first Star Class experience last year on Anthem of the Seas, and now that I've just booked a grand loft suite on Odyssey I see that you have me covered for that too.

Odyssey is a great ship and that grand loft is one of my favourite rooms! Feel free to ask if you have any other questions. 🙂