diamonds go AGAIN!! (an oasis reprise) ~ 2.4.2024-2.11.2024 ~ oasis of the seas

asquared17

I can't believe any of you worry about your blogs. Who cares! Everyone here loves to read and engage! I admit, the only thing that holds me back is ... do we REALLY need another week long Star Class cruise report on Oasis Class?  But then i find myself absconding to the bathroom to catch you up on utter nonsense and if nothing else, I've entertained myself... write for you and others will follow!

4 hours ago, ScottD said:

Wait...when is this leftover pizza from? DID YOU SMUGGLE SORRENTOS HOME in one of those bags!?? 😂

oh my gosh can you imagine!?!

while somewhat similar, this pizza was leftover from my favorite local place. it was my bribe to myself to finish unpacking after i'd eaten.

and i will tell you all... i did, in fact, FULLY unpack everything and put it all away last night, even though i was dragging. and i am very grateful i did.

8 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Everyone here loves to read and engage! I admit, the only thing that holds me back is ... do we REALLY need another week long Star Class cruise report on Oasis Class?  But then i find myself absconding to the bathroom to catch you up on utter nonsense and if nothing else, I've entertained myself... write for you and others will follow!

how can we ever live without knowing if batman has packed enough underwear for the rest of his cruising days???? a cautionary tale AND entertainment all at the same time! 😂

Uh oh, that sock lady is me!! I always wear flip flops or Rothy’s flats on planes so then when I get on board I put on socks so my feet don't freeze off. Usually I just tuck one foot under my butt and one rests on top of the corresponding shoe. Sue me!! 

PS you really got FCC for that one night when people were loud on their balcony and stopped when you light-signaled them? I have never complained but that happens to us on literally every Royal cruise we’ve been on. How much do they offer you?? I should be complaining at GS more often!! 😂

1 hour ago, DDaley said:

Uh oh, that sock lady is me!! I always wear flip flops or Rothy’s flats on planes so then when I get on board I put on socks so my feet don't freeze off. Usually I just tuck one foot under my butt and one rests on top of the corresponding shoe. Sue me!! 

oh no, the socks were not the issue at all!! the socked feet propped up on the chair in front like at the OB/GYN was my call out. 

i, too, wear socks on the plane 🥰 on longer haul flights. 

1 hour ago, DDaley said:

PS you really got FCC for that one night when people were loud on their balcony and stopped when you light-signaled them? 

haha that would have been funny but alas. it was the night we FINALLY sailed away from cococay and the closet doors sounded like they were coming down on us. between the constant breaking noise and the howling from the balcony door (the weather stripping needed replacing), i was awake from 3am on. legit couldn’t sleep 😞  and also because i had to follow up three days later a few other issues that had been lodged that sleepless night morning. i think they felt bad.

coincidentally, that was the night i started feeling a twinge in my throat that later manifested in who knows what now 😬😂

17 hours ago, GregD said:

The same here in NY, as well as my own kitchen! I grew up cooking with my Italian grandmother, which is why The Boss tolerates me. On our first date I made her favorite food, lasagna. She was hooked from then on. 

wait I LOVE THIS. 😍 this is so cute 💚

On 2/11/2024 at 8:33 AM, OCSC Mike said:

I'm trying to learn from you and the other regular bloggers here and hope to share brief comments with a few pics (mostly food/drink obviously) at random times rather than long recaps of each day. Step one is actually taking pics, lol.

I find doing the live blogs actually gets me to take photos.  I was looking through my phone at my past cruise photos and my December cruise that I didn't live blog I took 9 whole photos and 7 of them were of the same thing 😂

5 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Hope your scratchy throat has disappeared and you’re feeling much better!  Loved following along in this post and cruise!

thank you!!! sadly i fear it has turned into some mutant sinus infection 😬🫠 at least i am sleeping in my own bed 💚💚 i feel like that always helps 💚

5 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

my December cruise that I didn't live blog I took 9 whole photos and 7 of them were of the same thing 😂

i know i was so grateful any time there was champagne involved in your liveblogs 😍😂🤩

3 hours ago, GregD said:

wait till you here how we met......

YOU CANNOT LEAVE ME HANGING HERE. my writer soul needs this story!!!! 

2 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

YOU CANNOT LEAVE ME HANGING HERE. my writer soul needs this story!!!! 

You'll love this story......

The b@#ch stole my job!!!!! (don't worry, she allows me to use that term. She also loves to tell this story)

So back story...this will take a bit...you will laugh, cry, and laugh at me some more.....

Years ago while I was in Paramedic School in Syracuse NY at the SUNY Upstate Medical University. I was living in Oswego NY (about 45 min north of Syracuse) where I had originally started college for biology and had hoped to get a job as a firefighter/paramedic. I was having a hard time finding a decent job locally while in school, so I had the following schedule.

Monday night I would go to Paramedic Class in Syracuse 6-9pm. I would crash on the sofa at my friends dorm at SU for the night. Tuesday I would do clinical time in the hospital then crash in the dorm again. Wednesday I would do ride time on an ambulance during the day, followed by class from 6-9pm. Following that class, I would drive back home to my parents house in Albany NY about 2hrs away. I was able to get a job in one of the ER's there as a tech. I had worked there previously during college breaks, so they were glad to have me back. I'd do a bunch of 16hr shifts Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Monday I would head back to Syracuse for class and repeat the process over and over again. On the days that I didn't have clinical time, I'd head back to Oswego to study, get caught up on sleep etc etc. 

As you can imagine, this was an exhausting schedule. I was continuously looking for something job wise locally that would allow me the flexibility to keep up with school and paid enough to cover tuition. 

Eventually the hospital in Oswego posted that they were looking for techs.....perfect, that's what I know how to do etc. I applied for the job, interviewed and got the position. My first day, I show up to work in my scrubs and with my stethoscope and they look at me funny...."what do you need that for??" Well, they pulled a bait and switch....my clinical position turned into you are just a transporter....fine, whatever, it was a job and I didn't have to do all that driving. 

After about a month in this job, I now see that an actual tech position, assisting in patient care which is what I had originally thought I was being hired for, is now open in the ED. Perfect. I do all the paperwork, and I'm told "you should be all set, and you will start in a week or two in the new position." 

Shortly after....I'm told, hang on, you will be starting in your new role in the fall. We hired someone who was in nursing school for the summer.....greeeaaaaaatttt........WTF.......

So a few days later, I'm working, so I head down to the ED, to see who this "nursing student" is that they hired......So I'm sitting down there chatting with other staff members that I am friends with, and around the corner comes Heather.....and I think to myself......damnit....she's really cute. I can't be mean to her and giver her a hard time.......

So we start chatting and becoming friendly with each other and getting to know each other. After a few days, I had to head to Albany for about a week. I had some time off from classes, and I was working on the medical team at a music festival. When I got back to Oswego and was at the hospital for work, we ran into each other, and she gave me a big hug exclaiming "where have you been" etc etc. I thought to myself.....wow, that was not the reaction I was expecting, so I asked her out on a date. Stupidly she said yes. 

Having had some conversations previously, I knew that lasagna was her favorite, so I made that for dinner before our date. That went over well. Then, at the end of our date, honest truth the battery in my car died, so she had to drive me to Walmart to get a new battery for my car.....the whole time, I'm thinking......"wow, did I make a great first impression🤦‍♂️"

For some silly reason, she agrees to a second date, and now almost 20 years later....here we are!

So, now any time someone asks how we met, its always "the b@&ch stole my job"

omggggggggggg i’m swooning 🤩😍🥰

first of all… that schedule is insane. truly. 

7 hours ago, GregD said:

I head down to the ED, to see who this "nursing student" is that they hired......So I'm sitting down there chatting with other staff members that I am friends with, and around the corner comes Heather.....and I think to myself......damnit....she's really cute. I can't be mean to her and giver her a hard time.......

THIS IS LIKE A PLOT IN A BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 hours ago, GregD said:

So we start chatting and becoming friendly with each other and getting to know each other.

and so it BEGINS 😍😍😍

7 hours ago, GregD said:

When I got back to Oswego and was at the hospital for work, we ran into each other, and she gave me a big hug exclaiming "where have you been" etc etc.

[throwing popcorn in the air in excitement]

7 hours ago, GregD said:

I thought to myself.....wow, that was not the reaction I was expecting, so I asked her out on a date

SMOOTH. never let the moment pass you by!!!!!

7 hours ago, GregD said:

Having had some conversations previously, I knew that lasagna was her favorite, so I made that for dinner before our date. That went over well.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I AM YELLING TO THE HIGH HEAVENS!!!!!!!!!

7 hours ago, GregD said:

Then, at the end of our date, honest truth the battery in my car died, so she had to drive me to Walmart to get a new battery for my car.....the whole time, I'm thinking......"wow, did I make a great first impression🤦‍♂️"

ahahahahahahahahhaha the lasagne saved you i am convinced 

7 hours ago, GregD said:

and now almost 20 years later....here we are!

THIS IS INCREDIBLE. ALL I EVER WANTED!!!!!!

man, what a ride!!!! i am sure it was somewhat shortened for brevity but i think we should make this into a book/movie. and maybe add some pranks/shenanigans as you get to know each other. 😂

fun fact: my mom hired my dad 😂 so i love stories like this!!!!!!

@GregD That is a wonderful story, it had it all: suspense, tension, shenanigans, whodunit......then a happy ending.

I met my husband in second grade, I was to be his tutor, he was from Cork Ireland. I asked if he knew any leprechauns, he said I was daft and did I want to see his willy.......well he said the other word and I asked where he would hide a rooster to bring to school. And he stared at me a long time and then later in the day started laughing and said he was going to marry me. I was 7, so I took words literally and he was true to his words. 

Just now, Ampurp85 said:

@GregD That is a wonderful story, it had it all: suspense, tension, shenanigans, whodunit......then a happy ending.

I met my husband in second grade, I was to be his tutor, he was from Cork Ireland. I asked if he knew any leprechauns, he said I was daft and did I want to see his willy.......well he said the other word and I asked where he would hide a rooster to bring to school. And he stared at me a long time and then later in the day started laughing and said he was going to marry me. I was 7, so I took words literally and he was true to his words. 

Ahhhh......🥰😍

okay gang, sorry for the delay. this sinus infection is kicking my butt, hard.

but here we go...

overall thoughts:

• oasis has the BEST aqua show in the fleet. aqua 80 is outstanding and cannot be topped. the power of love and purple rain will forever shine in my heart!!
  • they have the NICEST crew in the fleet. there is something very comforting and warm about this crew. and don't get me wrong, we have had some really wonderful crew members on other sailings/ships. but there is something about THIS crew, that makes it like your favorite cozy blanket on a cold day.
    • even our captain was noticeably more relaxed and jovial when compared to our sailing in december.
      • ....although with no one overboard and only one ALPHA ALPHA ALPHA... i can understand why.
  • PORTSIDE! we went two times! it was really just delicious, and something the rest of the fleet just doesn't have. a treat, and reasonably priced for the amount of food that you get. i would always recommend this as a night one dinner; it's quiet and calm, and the venue picks up considerably throughout the week.
  • VINTAGES. y'all know how i love my champagne. we were delighted to see our favorite bartender, roman, at vintages. he always had a frosty cold glass and fresh bottle of champagne for us. i even asked him if he would ever be on another ship and he told us that he would happily be staying on oasis.
  • willingness to correct/accommodate. this sort of goes back to the earlier point about the crew, but -- it was really something how accommodating the crew were. we had a great experience with the excursions team, and our head waiter in the MDR was really something. we had all sorts of shenanigans with getting a table for two, and we weren't on the right floor on night 2, so once we finally arrived on night 3, he was willing to work with us. he offered even to get us into specialty restaurants if we wanted, with a reservation at our convenience and a discount. (we did not inquire what kind of discount it would be 😂) every night he would personally check in on us, and make sure we were taken care of. and our MDR waiter and assistant were both very kind and present. i have some particular food preferences and they handled everything in stride, even anticipating them by the second time we were there. (evian, caesar salad; no croutons, dressing on the side 😂)
    • also guest services was really great. (even though i'm not sure what happened with the cute officer and everything i had brought up to him at that time... maybe my pajamas and wild bedhead took his breath away 💀) each time i went, they were able to quickly and easily resolve our issues and didn't make me feel like a pest for needing assistance. i was very grateful to know they handled things.

cabin thoughts:

• we had cabin 10728
    • ScreenShot2024-02-13at8_14_25PM.png.83d1ca501e92e6f0028743a28d542ab3.png
  • this is THE LAST CABIN on deck 10 before you hit the 2BR aqua suite. it was blissfully quiet (aside from one or two occurrences with our neighbors in 10726.
  • oasis cabins are.... dated.
    • the closet space and weird little nooks and crannies are a clear example of how far the newer ships have come. the sliding closet doors were noisy in our wild cococay day/night, and we only had two very small drawers in the vanity. the pointless table that sat across from the little sofa, was so far in the way that we actually re-arranged it so that there were THREE bedside tables. one by the window, one in the middle of the split beds, and the useless table between the bed and the sofa (where the other bedside table was initially.
      • doing this opened up the narrow space between the vanity and the sofa, so we were able to move around a little more freely.
  • bathroom; the space tube shower wasn't as tight as some have been but it was certainly not as spacious as the wider circular door we have seen on odyssey and even harmony, last may. the wooden cubbies were a bit more inconvenient to get in and out of than the open shelving experienced on harmony/odyssey.
  • in comparison to harmony, where there were USB outlets built into the vanity, and outlets thoughtfully placed, we struggled a bit charging our devices. there was a multi plug half moon unit on the desk, but the other outlets were below the desk and you had to bend down to get to them. by the time your cord wrapped back up around, it was a little tight and we found ourselves leaving things on the chair or the floor to charge.
  • the weather stripping on our door was definitely due for replacement. we heard a lot of wind noise and outdoor noise in a way that i've never heard before. most of it was aqua 80, so no complaints there 😂, but be advised; if you're that last cabin before the aqua theater suite, you WILL hear the show.
  • it was quiet because it was the last standard balcony on the deck.... but it was also the last standard balcony on the deck. so that was one hell of a walk with luggage on disembarkation day, with bags of laundry, cabin attendant carts, and luggage lining the corridor. some not so great things may have flown from my lips as we attempted to move out!!
  • we had the newer crossover carpet (not sure how else to categorize it) AND a new couch. i knew this because i had seen a youtube video of the cabin filmed early 2023 and things were updated from then. i was pleasantly surprised.
  • i did feel very bad for our stateroom attendant. in addition to our immediate zone, he had cabins well forward of us AND the star class 2BR AS. nevertheless, he always had a smile for us and knew our names and was helpful, but he was ridiculously overworked. and i understand how asking for extra towels turned into "extra pillows" -- that we couldn't get rid of for the entire week😂

all of this to say -- i WOULD take this cabin again -- or at least, the dead last balcony on the sailing. it was honestly the quietest we've ever experienced, especially when you consider that we still had a lot of actual cabins around us. i wouldn't have minded the walk as much if i'd been feeling generally better, and even appreciated getting extra steps in.

random/stray observations:

• despite her age, the ship was always clean.
    • we rarely saw dirty plates, cups, etc (other than it lining the corridors, etc. the public areas were always clean (at least when we walked through) or in the process of being cleaned. the crew in housekeeping worked HARD. and it showed.
  • it was an interesting mix of folks. not necessarily all first timers, a lot more repeat/seasoned cruises than our previous trip. less deer in the headlights and more -- oh yeah let's do this because we already know this tip/trick. like ELF for lunch every single day and the insane line because of that, or folks staying aboard in nassau and falmouth.
    • even the aqua show on night three, there were so many folks on the starboard overlook on deck 7, waiting for the show. we are used to knowing that little trick and having the place to ourselves until at least halfway through. not this time. folks KNEW.
    • EVERYONE WAS ON THE SUNDECK ON THE LAST DAY BY 8AM. WHAT. EVEN. (?????? who are all these repeat cruisers taking a page out of our book????? how dare they?? 😂😅 just kidding, but it was wild.)
      • the fashion choices (or lack thereof) were nothing short of astonishing. no shoes, skirt hems that stopped at hip height, complete and utter disregard for fellow passengers just trying to make their way through the ship, visually unaccosted. ALAS. it was not meant to be. 
  • we had just under 6500 pax on board when i asked our the C+A loyalty ambassador and this was one of the first times i've ever felt the crowds so keenly on an oasis class ship.
    • i forgot to mention!! the C+A ambassador gave us our pins! i got my D+ and J got her diamond pin!! we are officially OFFICIAL.
      • and J will OFFICIALLY get her diamond vouchers now.
  • prior to symphony, oasis was our absolute favorite ship.
    • i would sail her again BUT it would have to be a really smart choice (ie, CHEAP) or literally the last resort.
    • i think i would rather try a standard balcony on the new beyond/ascent/xcel on celebrity before choosing oasis. while there is certainly nothing wrong with the ship, i have now been fortunate enough to sail her five times -- so i think we need to break up for a while 😂 given our previous history. we should clear the air.
    • i actually did look into caribbean sailings for december 2025 and was sad to see that only oasis and icon (among the oasis class) were sailing out of miami/FLL. i think symphony might be sailing out of miami in 2025 as well but when i go to book a suite, it crashes, so who knows what is happening there. 😂

it has been absolutely MARVELOUS having you along for the week. a real treat for me, as i was away from my family during a historically difficult time, and you all made it so wonderful. 💚

i know it was a quieter start than i am usually prone to having, but i feel like we really picked up speed and had ourselves A TIME.

i'm so glad there were no medical emergency evacuations and delays back to port this time -- although the emergency evacuation off cococay certainly was something. perhaps i've attracted all the oasis shenanigans and the rest of you will all have a pleasantly peaceful time. 😂😅 this is what i want for y'all.

thank you for letting me flex my writer muscles, as i've missed it terribly, and i sort of feel like you should receive a certificate of completion for making it to the last page of this liveblog 😆

i hope you have had as much fun as i have, sharing observations, thoughts and experiences. 💚  and if nothing else, that you've joined us in the cup clip club. 😆🌟

what's next? well, funny you should ask....

ScreenShot2024-02-13at8_53_42PM.thumb.png.30b10a108115cd42ccda56cd934b588c.png

forever yours in bezos + shenanigans,

-A 💚

So what we did on Oasis was put the chair from the vanity on the balcony (there is three of us, so it gets used out there) then we shove that little table under the vanity, and put the trash can right inside of it...like under the table and on the base. That clears up that whole little area, which is especially helpful to us with the couch bed out. We bring a REALLY long charger and plugged in under  the bed and shared that when needed, then one on the vanity plug for the kid to use....  but what really helped was charging one of those portable charger packs all day, then I would just use that on my side of the bed and my kid and wife would have the other cords as needed. The charging pack was also nice for my little USB fan so I could plug it in and lay it right on the bed when I napped, 😅

Also- we really are cruise twins because your next cruise is the same week I do that MSC trip...well we are 12\7-12\14. So we'll ALMOST cross paths in Miami. 

3 minutes ago, ScottD said:

what really helped was charging one of those portable charger packs all day

We got a pretty powerful one for our 18-day Alaska trip years ago when it really came in handy (like spending 9 hours on a smaller boat to see glaciers, wildlife, etc.). It's more than we need now but we still use it on occasion. Some version of a portable charger is definitely good to have.

2 hours ago, ScottD said:

So what we did on Oasis was put the chair from the vanity on the balcony (there is three of us, so it gets used out there) then we shove that little table under the vanity, and put the trash can right inside of it...like under the table and on the base. That clears up that whole little area, which is especially helpful to us with the couch bed out. 

This is a really good idea and would have avoided the cabin wars my husband and I got into last cruise with that annoying table... Would you have had to pull in the chair if it rained?

but what really helped was charging one of those portable charger packs all day, then I would just use that on my side of the bed and my kid and wife would have the other cords as needed. The charging pack was also nice for my little USB fan so I could plug it in and lay it right on the bed when I napped, 😅

There's a What did you Buy from Bezos thread going and these are both great items (the portable charger and the fan), if you want to add to that thread? I also rely heavily on my portable charger, and my mom cannot sleep without a fan. 

we really are cruise twins because your next cruise is the same week I do that MSC trip...well we are 12\7-12\14. So we'll ALMOST cross paths in Miami. 

i can’t believe we as literally missing each other by ONE DAY. what are the odds?!?! we will be weather twins, if nothing else!!

also good call on the furniture rearranging. we also pull the trash can out and put to the side of the desk. it’s in plain sight, but i’m not about to be doing acrobatics to throw away my garbage (apparently i must generate enough that this is a thing) 😂

18 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

What did you Buy from Bezos thread going

💀 we love a good bezos spree 💸💸

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

Would you have had to pull in the chair if it rained?

I guess if it rained hard,we kept it closer to the wall so it wouldn't get wet unless it was blowing in. Our room attendant left it out there all week,it was probably easier on her to clean,too!

1 hour ago, asquared17 said:

i can’t believe we as literally missing each other by ONE DAY. what are the odds?!?! we will be weather twins, if nothing else!!

also good call on the furniture rearranging. we also pull the trash can out and put to the side of the desk. it’s in plain sight, but i’m not about to be doing acrobatics to throw away my garbage (apparently i must generate enough that this is a thing) 😂

Well I'll follow along with your blog and throw my occasional msc update on there since I probably shouldn't do a full on review here! Let's hope for good weather!

8 hours ago, She Sails Away said:

Such fun to follow along! And SYMPHONY. My personal favorite! I will be on Utopia that week! Looking forward to your blog! 

Ah you mention the 2 ships (both new to me!) that I will be on this year!  Feeling excited to experience both of them!  90 days til SoS…and 206 for Utopia!

@asquared17 If you Live blog…I will follow!  😂 

11 hours ago, She Sails Away said:

Such fun to follow along! And SYMPHONY. My personal favorite! I will be on Utopia that week!

can’t wait to hear about utopia!!!

2 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

@asquared17 If you Live blog…I will follow!  😂 

🥰 not sure i’d know what to do with all my time if i didn’t live blog 😂 you’re stuck with me, my friend!! 💚💚

31 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

Utopia doing short cruises is maddening. I would love to sail her, but it ain’t worth it for 3 or 4 nights. 

3+4 = 7 😁

Obviously you'd have to be content sailing mostly for the ship and it helps if you like CocoCay. We did one of those on Indy in 2022 and had a good time but it's understandable why many wouldn't find it appealing.

32 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

Utopia doing short cruises is maddening. I would love to sail her, but it ain’t worth it for 3 or 4 nights. 

agree.  i will probably wait until I can get a casino comp to do it, or maybe do a B2B on it at some point.  the bad part with that is no real port stops. 

For me the big ships are as much the destination as any port. My issue with a B2B is coming back to canaveral after the first leg , getting off the ship and then reboarding, and then having to change rooms if you couldn’t line them up when booking. I’ll pass and wait for it to eventually do longer sailings