Cruise Passenger Dies After Tour Boat Sinks in Nassau

I saw the footage on the YouTube channel La Lida Loca. This is most unfortunate for the passengers impacted, their families, the cruise industry, the government of the Bahamas, and other impacted parties. The loss of any life even if just one person is too many. I suspect there will be an official government investigation to determine the cause of this unfortunate sinking. My thoughts and prayers go out to the community.

46 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

This is the same boat we were on that impacted the concrete pier in March while on the same tour. There were several people who ended up with cuts and bruises.ย 

The pier at the port? We had that same issue last month- he could not dock this boat. We slammed into the dock about 3 times, THEN he backed out and swung it into another slip, but still slammed the dock while doing it. We thought it was just a tide or current issue.ย 

18 minutes ago, ScottD said:

The pier at the port? We had that same issue last month- he could not dock this boat. We slammed into the dock about 3 times, THEN he backed out and swung it into another slip, but still slammed the dock while doing it. We thought it was just a tide or current issue.ย 

Pier. The windows on the port side of the vessel all shattered and sent glass shrapnel flying. There were quite a few people bleeding and bruised from falling due to the impact. The event was caused by a dock line anchor point that had broke loose and was offset pointing out at window level. The crew had zero situational awareness and could have easily prevented this incident by docking on the opposite side which was empty. I noticed the metal and was trying to communicate it the crew who was too busy texting to respond quick enough. This world is filled with incompetent people who are placed in the wrong positions and responsible for more then they can mentally or physically handle. These idiots are lucky nobody was killed. The subject vessel is the same one that sank.ย 

1 hour ago, JasonOasis said:

What does the e-muster drill have to do with this terrible incident?ย 

There is one guy who is apparently not going to wear a lifejacket. And we have the fool of all fools who is in the water without a lifejacket but who has had one thrown to him. He was not thrown from the vessel because he has his backpack with him and he is heard encouraging someone else to jump in.
ย 

Part of a PFD is that they make the user positively buoyant. Another part is that it makes the user easily visible. ย In the chaos of of what's going on in the water, ย this guy in the water is going to be very hard to distinguish from debris. The guy on the boat will be hard to distinguish as someone who is still onboard.

The lesson here is simple, we have cruisers who have quite recently undergone muster training and we still have some that flat out refuse or are unclear of the importance of wearing a PFD during an emergency. The e-muster cartoons are not working.

ย 

17 minutes ago, bobroo said:

The lesson here is simple, we have cruisers who have quite recently undergone muster training and we still have some that flat out refuse or are unclear of the importance of wearing a PFD during an emergency. The e-muster cartoons are not working.

Flat out refusing to wear a life vest even after watching the video cannot be corrected by the Coast Guard or any other entity.

Panic and reality (I can't believe this is happening!) can cause confusion and disorientation. It's ultimately up to the individual, with the help and direction of competent boat crews, and others, to do whatever is needed to safely handle themselves in an emergency situation.

We can speculate, but we don't yet know all the facts and should wait until condemning the crew, or anything else, until then.

Nobody really knows what they would do in a similar circumstance...until it happens.

Condolences to the family of the victim...may she rest in peace.

3 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

What does the e-muster drill have to do with this terrible incident?ย 

i was about to say โ€” it would be pretty wild if this tour was also doing an e-muster drill ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

1 hour ago, BrianB said:

Flat out refusing to wear a life vest even after watching the video cannot be corrected by the Coast Guard or any other entity.

Panic and reality (I can't believe this is happening!) can cause confusion and disorientation. It's ultimately up to the individual, with the help and direction of competent boat crews, and others, to do whatever is needed to safely handle themselves in an emergency situation.

ย amen. ๐Ÿ’šย 

even those of us who feel we are fairly competent swimmers would likely be grateful for a PFD after some time in the water. if someone elects not ย to wear one, that is their decision.ย 

1 hour ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Unfortunate loss of life but obviously some extenuating circumstances. The area was not deep and the top of the boat was still above water when it fully settled. Unfortunately, people panic and chaos ensues. (while others jump on social media to live stream it).

It is entirely possible someone had a heart attack due to panic and anxiety and never touched the water.ย 

As someone that has owned and currently owns boat(s), I find it incredibly hard to believe this vessel was undermined and sank due to a โ€œwaveโ€. There is certainly some explaining to do by Blue Lagoon and the transport vendor. Iโ€™ve also been on this excursion twice and have never witnessed more than a moderate chop on the way to and from the pier. Something stinks.ย 

5 hours ago, bobroo said:

There is one guy who is apparently not going to wear a lifejacket. And we have the fool of all fools who is in the water without a lifejacket but who has had one thrown to him. He was not thrown from the vessel because he has his backpack with him and he is heard encouraging someone else to jump in.
ย 

Part of a PFD is that they make the user positively buoyant. Another part is that it makes the user easily visible. ย In the chaos of of what's going on in the water, ย this guy in the water is going to be very hard to distinguish from debris. The guy on the boat will be hard to distinguish as someone who is still onboard.

ย 

What we have is a terrible tragedy someone on vacation lost their life which is sad and my heart goes out to the family. ย But this tragedy has absolutely nothing to do with e-muster drill and replacing the e-muster with the in-person drill would not have change the outcome nor would it have made another passenger put on life vest. ย So please stop and choose another thread if you have a bone to pick with the e-muster drill.

1 minute ago, JasonOasis said:

What we have is a terrible tragedy someone on vacation lost their life which is sad and my heart goes out to the family. ย But this tragedy has absolutely nothing to do with e-muster drill and replacing the e-muster with the in-person drill would not have change the outcome nor would it have made another passenger put on life vest. ย So please stop and choose another thread if you have a bone to pick with the e-muster drill.

The E muster drill is one of a very small number of excellent programs that came out of the post pandemic mess. I canโ€™t imagine anything better then E muster other then no muster at all.ย 

1 hour ago, tonyfsu21 said:

As someone that has owned and currently owns boat(s), I find it incredibly hard to believe this vessel was undermined and sank due to a โ€œwaveโ€. There is certainly some explaining to do by Blue Lagoon and the transport vendor. Iโ€™ve also been on this excursion twice and have never witnessed more than a moderate chop on the way to and from the pier. Something stinks.ย 

More than likely it was self-inflicted one way or another.

14 hours ago, bobroo said:

There is a lot to unpack here in just the short video.ย 
ย 

When the Coast Guard reviews this and reconsiders the whole e-muster idea, I think we will all know why.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Dunno, but I'm thinking the absolute last thing I'd be worried about was getting 30 seconds of fame on Tic Tac, Tic Toc, whatever the hell it is.................

1 hour ago, Xaa said:

Yep gone for mine too.ย  I had no plans to head back anyway.ย  Not that I wouldn't go back, just that there are other things I would do first.

In Nassau??? Please share, lol. We really struggle with Nassau and were considering Blue Lagoon this time. It will be interesting to see if this is simply a knee jerk reaction by Royal to temporarily pull these excursions or if it becomes permanent. Such a terrible situation for everyone involved.ย 

We've got kids so we're doing Aquaventure, we want to do Baha Mar, want to hit Margaritaville still etc.ย  For beach days, I don't see Nassau as that attractive.ย  Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Blue Lagoon, it is fine, but out of the seven days of cruise, I don't want an overabundance of beach days anyway.ย  Nassau usually means PDCC as well which is a better beach day than anything Blue Lagoon can give you.ย  Royal beach Club is also on the way, but knowing RCI, it's likely to be more than I want to spend to sit on the beach.

I'm not in any way trying to trash them.ย  Just saying we weren't going to be back any time soon, we've got a few things we want to do and don't mind staying on ship.ย  I wouldn't force a beach day at Nassau.

I think it's probably temporary, but your guess is as good as mine.ย  Definitely tragic.

14 minutes ago, Biff215 said:

In Nassau??? Please share, lol. We really struggle with Nassau and were considering Blue Lagoon this time. It will be interesting to see if this is simply a knee jerk reaction by Royal to temporarily pull these excursions or if it becomes permanent. Such a terrible situation for everyone involved.ย 

Probably more out of an abundance of caution until an investigation is completed and a probable cause is determined. RCCL goes to great pains to inform passengers these excursions are third party, not owned by RCCL, and they bear no liability. Locally reported third hand interview on the news with a ferry passenger that stated the deceased was confined to a wheelchair and on oxygen. If true, the listing of the boat could have made her extraction and rescue problematic. Sad, sad story.ย 

With the regional weather what it is with a developing low off the SE Florida coast, the winds in the Bahamas and East Coast Florida have been to say the least, brisk.

34 minutes ago, Biff215 said:

Thereโ€™s a snorkeling excursion thatโ€™s a great way to spend a few hours on a catamaran. We have done it a couple times and enjoyed it. Blue Lagoon is โ€œokโ€, the tourist trap vibes are evident. IMHO Blue Lagoon and โ€œsouth of the borderโ€ are one and the same. $13 for a Kalik beer is price gouging to the max. They are going to need it though to pay for the sinking boat litigation.ย 

We're booked for Blue Lagoon when we stop in Nassau in December. Obviously, this tragic incident and comments by forum members on this thread about the questionable expertise of the ferry staff and that RC has pulled this excursion for Jan have me seriously reconsidering. Bummer. Hopefully, this forum has recent posts suggesting worthwhile Nassau excursion alternatives that inspire more confidence regarding safety.

ย 

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Note that the Bahamas suspended the ferry service, so all cruise lines have pulled it.

Hi Smokey, perhaps a rhetorical question: I wonder then, what other arrangements they've made for pending BL reservations between now and then. My rez remains active in my RC excursion queue (granted it's still a month away)

20 minutes ago, RoadtoNowhere73 said:

Hi Smokey, perhaps a rhetorical question: I wonder then, what other arrangements they've made for pending BL reservations between now and then. My rez remains active in my RC excursion queue (granted it's still a month away)

Iโ€™m willing to bet theyโ€™re taking a wait-and-see approach. How long the Bahamas holds their ferries from operating will determine when they can restart excursions. Then Royal can decide whether or not to continue to offer them. For now Iโ€™m sure theyโ€™re content holding on to everyoneโ€™s money until everything settles. Just my guess.ย 

3 hours ago, RoadtoNowhere73 said:

We're booked for Blue Lagoon when we stop in Nassau in December. Obviously, this tragic incident and comments by forum members on this thread about the questionable expertise of the ferry staff and that RC has pulled this excursion for Jan have me seriously reconsidering. Bummer. Hopefully, this forum has recent posts suggesting worthwhile Nassau excursion alternatives that inspire more confidence regarding safety.

ย 

Margaritaville Hotel day pass. Short walk from the pier and a day well spent.ย 

8 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Is there any other way to get to Blue Lagoon, short of swimming?

Nothing on their website about it.

I don't think so.ย  They had a few different types of boats shuttling back and forth, we took a single deck boat there, then took that double decker one that sunk on our way back.ย  But it's a privately owned island, so I think they control all of the transportation in and out.ย