Tipping Stateroom Attendants

Hi Everyone!

We have an amazing stateroom attendant and want to tip him! What do you all typically tip your stateroom attendants? This is our first cruise and I do not want to under tip him. We are on a 8 day cruise!

Also, do you wait until the last day to tip? And do you leave it in the room or hand it to them directly? 

Echo the other 2 comments.  What you're comfortable with and around $20/day.  My cadence is about 1/3 on day 1 as we meet to thank them for having everything ready after we go over anything we need (Ice, Paper Compass) and the remaining on the last night.

It's really a personal choice so do whatever your heart tells you and you'll be just fine.

9 hours ago, Cassandra C said:

Hi Everyone!

We have an amazing stateroom attendant and want to tip him! What do you all typically tip your stateroom attendants? This is our first cruise and I do not want to under tip him. We are on a 8 day cruise!

Also, do you wait until the last day to tip? And do you leave it in the room or hand it to them directly? 

My previous post didn't take, so here goes.  When gratuities were $13.50 per day the stateroom attendant and behind-the-scenes housekeeping staff received $5.20 per person per day -- not sure how much the attendant got.  So housekeeping gets a little under 40%.  We add about $4 to $5 per day for the two of us at the end of the cruise in the provided envelope to "round up" our tip from the 18% Royal imputes to what we think is fair for excellent service.  We aren't as generous as others who have reported because we take into account the gratuities already assigned to the stateroom attendant.  The choice is always yours.  We give extra at the beginning of the cruise ($10) if we receive ice for the champagne our Travel Agent provides us.   For Main Dining Room staff (who were assigned $8.30 per person per day when gratuities were $13.50) we also round up at the end.  Only a couple of times have we had poor service that resulted in no envelopes for MDR.  Again, it's hard to know what individual employees receive, and many members have posted what they have learned from conversations with staff.  Whatever you choose, enjoy your cruise.

This is one of those questions that honestly has no wrong answer.  

With rare exception, we tip our cabin steward, Main Dining Room waiter and assistant waiter, and for each drink we get with a voucher.

The amount we tip is more than some and less than others.   It’s an amount we’re comfortable spending.     

10 minutes ago, teddy said:

This is one of those questions that honestly has no wrong answer.  

With rare exception, we tip our cabin steward, Main Dining Room waiter and assistant waiter, and for each drink we get with a voucher.

The amount we tip is more than some and less than others.   It’s an amount we’re comfortable spending.    

Agree with all of the above. Well stated.

It's up to you and what you can afford, what you think the atendant deserve above the tips he/she will already get, and whatever else you take into consider when thinking about additional tipping.

So far, the advice given is excellent, but generally personal.

Personally, I take $300 USD cash just for extra tipping for any cruise over 5 nights.  In Alaska, our stateroom attendant greeted us right away and gave us extra personal service. I tipped him $20, then each day, I left $5 on the bed.  On the last day, I gave him $50 plus a care package of things we bought at port (ie: cup ramen, chips, cookies, sunscreen, etc.)

On our 3 night cruise a few months later, the stateroom attendant was nice but didn't really go above and beyond.  I tipped him $20 at the end of our cruise.  He was super happy.  

My blanket answer is that I do not know of any stateroom attendant that wouldn't be happy with an extra tip or two.  I am somewhat certain that they would apprciate anything.  

Last thought: People think of tipping in terms of money.  And yes, money tends to be king.  But, another way you can show appreciation might include: conversing with the person or leaving the room a little less messy than you normally would.  We really try not to make extra work for anyone in the service industry.  This goes a long ways too. On our Alaskan cruise, I struck up conversation with the Baristas at the cafe on a daily basis.  They would tell me how they missed their families but enjoyed working on a cruise ship, etc.  These people rarely get to have conversations with people other than their crewmates for months and months at a time.  I know that the BAristas both told me they only get to talk to their families a couple of times a month.  They both thanked me for chatting with them daily.  It made my day, I hope it made theirs' too.

49 minutes ago, icf75 said:

Wow you Americans certainly do like to tip LOL!

I still remember becoming friendly with an Australian couple during our trip to Alaska in 2018. We had a nice long chat about this and they just could not understand American tipping culture... and I get it.

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

I still remember becoming friendly with an Australian couple during our trip to Alaska in 2018. We had a nice long chat about this and they just could not understand American tipping culture... and I get it.

I’m definitely getting a tip fatigue because of all these places asking for a tip. I’m not tipping at a fast food restaurant 

We just got off Wonder and it was a great cruise.  More "Groups" cruising than I     can ever remember.  It really felt more than the usual.  Having said that, there was a significant reduction in young children then when we were on Wonder in February.  That was insane.  @Neesa knows what it is like on Wonder with an out of wack/crazy kid to adult ratio.  Emphasis on crazy.

We love to tip people who genuinely try to "love" on and engage us.  Selfishly, on busy and crowded ships, it helps to be remembered.  If my wife and I hung out at the Mason Jar Bar nightly.  We tipped the bar crew very well each night.  They were incredible.  We connect (converse and tip) with a pool attendent that will care for us and the Solarium bartenders that will see us through the masses.  We don't do it to be flashy, but to find those who bust their butt.   Especially in light of each day of their lives on a cruise ship being a redundant commodity, and yet they find a way to NOT make you feel like you are part of a "job".  We find THOSE people and tip, tip, tip.  My grandmother constantly told me, "Error on the side of generosity".  So, budget to tip those who make the effort......and then tip to cheer up those poor Cabin attendants that need more smiles in their life.

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

It's not just the Australians, the British struggle with it as well.

7 minutes ago, Mike.s said:

It's not just the Australians, the British struggle with it as well.

Yeah, I'm aware, was just sharing an anecdote and that couple happened to be Australian. I know the American tipping culture is very foreign to many other parts of the world.

I'd imagine it's even worse for cruises because there is already built-in gratuity for your cabin steward, wait staff, etc. yet it's obviously common to then tip above and beyond that amount.

3 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

I'm American and I still don't understand it.  I get tipping certain people but its gotten way out of control in the US.  I went to subway the other day and was asked if I wanted to leave a tip.....

4 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

I'd imagine it's even worse for cruises because there is already built-in gratuity for your cabin steward, wait staff, etc. yet it's obviously common to then tip above and beyond that amount.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone tipping etc if that's what they want to do! Where it's wrong is when people feel pressurised into tipping. 

On my recent trip to NYC after a long day walking about my wife decided she wanted a foot massage. Quick search of google gave me a site 2 blocks away! 

Foot massage was $30 with my back/shoulder costing $38

Now for my massage i was sat on a leather stool having to hold on for dear life as i was being pushed off it every 2 seconds! Worst massage i have ever had! 

My wife's foot massage was done with one hand only as the other hand was on wechat and other chinese social media sites on the mobile phone placed between my wifes feet.

On paying the price was $68 plus the expected 20% tip. 

Way i worked it out was no tip for my massage as i felt worse when i came out than when i went in, so only a tip for my wifes massage and since the only used 50% of their hands they were only getting 50% of the expected 20% so 10% which was an extra $3

Needless to say they were not amused and even laughed at the fact it was only $3. I honestly didn't care as i would never go back there. I just told them that the service they provided was terrible and they were lucky to be getting $3 and if they were not happy give it back! 

First, remember they get tipped from the Gratuities you pay per day.

Second, how much is relative to how much you have.  $20 to some is pocket change and to others lunch money for an entire week.  Some tip $500 and don't blink an eye.  Others $20 is a lot of money.

Third, how much trouble do you give your cabin steward?  When my son was growing up, he left messes every day.  Now that I cruise solo, I leave my room clean when I leave.  When I had my son with me, I tipped at the beginning of the cruise and gave them an apology.  

As another data point because I don't want you to think that $20 per day is necessarily the norm: for a 7 day cruise we typically tip the stateroom attendant $50 per cabin and $50 each to the head waiter and assistant waiter (we are a family of 4) in the MDR. 

We put it in an envelope and hand them out the last evening of the cruise.  Disembarkation morning is a bit hectic.

6 hours ago, icf75 said:

It seems to me that some tip in order to receive better service rather than reward good service?

That is one perspective.  

I usually and preemptively give smaller tips early on because my mother was once a hardworking maid and my sister-in-law once worked on a cruise ship.  I know that in many cases, even an extra dollar or two, especially in the aggregate, mean so much to an attendant who might be from a country where wages are below US standards.  

So when I give preemptive tips, its not for purposes of ensuring good service, its really my selfish way of easing my own conscience.

17 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

You are literally the first person on any of the boards who I have ever read that has admitted to this. 

That's so basic and honest. Congratulations. You kept it 100% real. 

People can be so fake and full of it on this subject. 

Thank you.  Honestly, its none of anyone's business except for the IRS' how much money I make or can afford to spend anywhere like tipping.  But when it really comes down to it, I have always felt guilty about things like maid service, even the gender affixed term "maid," and I further guilt trip my family into putting things away, throwing trash away, and pre-making the beds, so that it is less work for room attendants.  Its not altruism, its not being a martyr, its just my selfish motives.  I don't know how many times I used to say "if I made more money, I would tip better," and as I made more money, I just didn't.  After I got married and had kids, I realized that saying such things was just lip service, didn't set good examples to my family, and it didn't do anything for me, personally.

Now, I say again, even polite and sincerely-interested conversation goes a long ways with those in the service industry, that is a good start.

3 hours ago, CruisingNewb said:

I further guilt trip my family into putting things away, throwing trash away, and pre-making the beds, so that it is less work for room attendants.  

Totally agree! 

I just dont get this " im on holiday so i will do as i like " attitude! 

"Sorry kids have made a mess or are going to make a mess so here's 50 bucks" Do the kids get to make a mess at home? Probably not so why allow it when on vacation? 

Same with making beds or putting empty bottles or rubbish in trash cans. Would people leave garbage lying about their own rooms at home or is it a case of i have a servant for a week?

Way i see it treat your hotel room or cabin as you would your own home. No amount of money can buy self respect!

3 minutes ago, Ray said:

Same with making beds or putting empty bottles or rubbish in trash cans. Would people leave garbage lying about their own rooms at home or is it a case of i have a servant for a week?

Well...that is debatable and why I emphasize cleanliness at home.  I have many adult friends who are parents and believe me I have seen unmentionable things when it comes to cleanliness or the lack thereof.  🤪