Noticeable cut backs on Allure

Bowen

We’re on Allure right now and having a great time. We’ve noticed some changes in the Windjammer this cruise. They now close at 9 pm, it’s been 11 pm since I started cruising 20 years ago, and the selections are much less. The food is still very good, but waiting in line for ten minutes at 9:30 for Sorrentos or Promenade Cafe isn’t welcome. For the first time since my cruising career began I’m feeling a little leery of what might be coming. The changes on this trip are so noticeable. If they are having to make these types of cutbacks, what else is going to get cut back? We’re fine with the one per day House keeping, that’s been no problem, but it does feel a little odd to basically not see your room attendant at all.

29 minutes ago, WesKinetic said:

Now you've got me curious. The Allure cruise compass collection on here goes back to 2011 and I can only find WJ open until 9. 

I know I've been on other cruise lines that would occasionally do an after-hours dessert party or something like that. Have they ever done anything like that in WJ? 

There was a midnight buffet one night on 7-night cruises (or longer I assume) a very very long time ago.

When I decided to give up pizza (gasp) I looked for Windjammer and was as surprised as you that it was closed at 9pm.  Then I made it a point to get there before closing and the food was in absolute horrid condition.  It looked like it had sat out, untouched, for hours.  Dry, congealed, nasty.  This happened on 2 different sailings and I stopped trying.  Now I try and squirrel away some fruit for my late night "treat" because that seems to have been removed from a lot of the venues as well.  If it's not pizza, those lousy little sandwhiches or cakes/cookies you have not other choices.  

On Anthem in February the cutbacks were painfully obvious from just the previous November. No snacks at Sorrentos anymore. Just Pizza. I used to love some salami and cheese. WJ had noticeably less selection and lots of empty spaces where there had been items just a few months before. In Solarium Bistro there was basically no attempt to rotate the food in the in the mini buffet to keep it fresh. There was a good chance that my little falafel bites that I got at 8pm had been there all night. They were little inedible rocks.  Izumi portions basically cut in half. I rarely saw anyone encouraging hand washing at the WJ entrance. I still had a good time, but the changes thus far have not been subtle.

1 hour ago, Al Miller said:

On Anthem in February the cutbacks were painfully obvious from just the previous November. No snacks at Sorrentos anymore. Just Pizza. I used to love some salami and cheese. WJ had noticeably less selection and lots of empty spaces where there had been items just a few months before. In Solarium Bistro there was basically no attempt to rotate the food in the in the mini buffet to keep it fresh. There was a good chance that my little falafel bites that I got at 8pm had been there all night. They were little inedible rocks.  Izumi portions basically cut in half. I rarely saw anyone encouraging hand washing at the WJ entrance. I still had a good time, but the changes thus far have not been subtle.

Yeah it feels like the food is much more sparse, not nearly as much selection. And no washy washy song anywhere.

As far back as I can remember the WJ has closed at 9. 

However, I have noticed in recent cruises that there are limited options for late-night eating, particularly on larger ships where there are more people who may want to grab a bite. It's pretty much Sorrento's or nothing. In walking around the ship in the late evening (10-midnight), I have wished for other options on a couple recent sailings. I feel like, trapped on a boat, providing another option would be nice. 

On 4/18/2023 at 11:05 PM, CanHardlyWait said:

Well, this is all very depressing. LOL. Still room service for a burger etc after 9pm no?

Also, what kind of hours does playmakers keep?

My daughter and I ordered room service on Grandeur in January.  It was after 11:00pm and we were told a 1.5 hour wait.  It took that long and the order was not correct.  So then what? Call and ask for a new order when it’s well after midnight?  
I carried the tray of food to guest services to make my complaint.  The room service fee was reversed.  

4 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

My daughter and I ordered room service on Grandeur in January.  It was after 11:00pm and we were told a 1.5 hour wait.  It took that long and the order was not correct.  So then what? Call and ask for a new order when it’s well after midnight?  
I carried the tray of food to guest services to make my complaint.  The room service fee was reversed.  

Again, depressing. LOL. I'm half excited about my trip in May, half concerned anymore. I will say this. As far back as 2009 on Disney, room service after 11 or 12 at night was an hour wait, but at least they got it right. Carrying the tray to guest services was a true bad ass move. I love it. Good for you.

• 2 weeks later...

@Bowen We recently sailed on Symphony and I agree I noticed some similar things to what you've mentioned. The buffet selection was reduced greatly and very repetitive. They didn't have the 'theme' night at the buffet on this one which I thought was disappointing. They also did away with the hot pudding selection which I thought was a bit odd. We experienced the same thing with the cafe/Sorrentos, worst queues I've ever seen and I don't even think the ship was that busy! I wonder if it's because the cafe has a poor system as most people are only queuing for tea/coffee but when someone walks down for a sandwich or fruit they are accused of cutting the line! I think they could work out a better system.

We also had a great time but I do agree there was a feeling of some cutbacks. I agree, it makes you wonder what's next.

I am sure Windjammer used to close later too but from reading the replies I must be mistaken! I find it really puzzling that it closes at 9pm. In a lot of European cultures people don't have dinner till like 9pm or even 10pm! I'm surprised it's not open till like 11pm.