Stolen pool towels

Joe01

I'm currently onboard Oasis and went to the whirlpool after dinner. I got a towel from the towel station (with my SeaPass card), left it and my belongings on a deckchair. When I returned after 30 minutes, my belongings had clearly been tampered with as my shoes, SeaPass & mobile were under someone else's clothes and my towel had completely disappeared. A minute or so later, a woman picked up those clothes and also had several unused towels on their arm so I'm suspecting it was her. However, I can't prove it and frankly the optics of a 20-something guy confronting a woman decades older wouldn't have looked good so I didn't say anything.

What should I do just now? I want to avoid being fined for not returning it as it is not my fault, I would never take one myself and not return it but if someone else has taken it, I can't return it with my card yet it will show up on the system as not being returned.

We had something similar happen but then the fates intervened and evened out our luck.

Had the towel swiped (or whatever) on Labadee.  Just figured I owed the $25 because that was the deal when I accepted the towel.  A day later, I go to the towel station to just do an exchange, swap a wet one for a clean one.  My brother just happened to be walking with me so the attendant must have assumed we were exchanging 2 and gave me 2 when I only returned one.  The universe again was aligned.  Dumb luck on both ends I guess.

We have seen chair hogs many times…Get up early and go to the towel station that is closed. Grab a bunch towels out of the basket and use them to mark out their territory.  We figured they did it that way so as to not be charged.   Not saying you should get your towel back this way, but have never seen anyone say a thing to the chair hogs.

11 hours ago, Joe01 said:

I'm currently onboard Oasis and went to the whirlpool after dinner. I got a towel from the towel station (with my SeaPass card), left it and my belongings on a deckchair. When I returned after 30 minutes, my belongings had clearly been tampered with as my shoes, SeaPass & mobile were under someone else's clothes and my towel had completely disappeared. A minute or so later, a woman picked up those clothes and also had several unused towels on their arm so I'm suspecting it was her. However, I can't prove it and frankly the optics of a 20-something guy confronting a woman decades older wouldn't have looked good so I didn't say anything.

What should I do just now? I want to avoid being fined for not returning it as it is not my fault, I would never take one myself and not return it but if someone else has taken it, I can't return it with my card yet it will show up on the system as not being returned.

I would report it to Security/Towel Station.  There is also Guest Services, if you are unsure best strategy.  Explain what you saw.

3 hours ago, Psycho and Barb said:

We have seen chair hogs many times…Get up early and go to the towel station that is closed. Grab a bunch towels out of the basket and use them to mark out their territory.  We figured they did it that way so as to not be charged.   Not saying you should get your towel back this way, but have never seen anyone say a thing to the chair hogs.

that's a sneaky little trick, aint it? 😳

Yea, there are posts all the time about people disputing charges for un-returned towels; I'd imagine it happens so often that they just don't want to both with it. I think tgoing that route is an easier solution than trying to escalate it into something more. 

14 hours ago, Sharla said:

The towel check out/charge is one of the worst Royal Caribbean policies imo. No one is stealing their crappy blue towels and it just causes so many problems! 

I feel it's more about accountability so passengers don't leave their beach towels in ports or in other situations where they never make it back to the ship.  The seats in cabs in Cozumel used to be covered in a variety of faded and worn cruise ship towels.

10 hours ago, Sharla said:

The towel check out/charge is one of the worst Royal Caribbean policies imo. No one is stealing their crappy blue towels and it just causes so many problems! 

I’m sure it makes it easier to have towels returned rather than staff or passengers to figure out if people are still using them/the chairs they are on.  People are slobs, imagine how the ship would look if there was no incentive to return towels. They’d be in the elevators, windjammer, bathrooms etc, not just the pool area

The towel arrangements is there to make sure people will make an effort to return them back not to increase revenue. You can see the lines for customer service on the last day with people bringing towels with them after finding the 25$ charge om their  bill so I guess it is working. But that means also that if you will report on a missing/stolen towel now they will fix it very easily while if you will wait for the last day they might argue.

I found most towel staff to not be overly zealous. I'm sure there are dozens of ways to run the towel station but on my last cruise the dirty container was across the walkway in front of the attendant.  I generally get four towels at a time. At turn in, I walk up with an arm full of towels, hold up 4 fingers and drop them in the container. I hand my card to the attendant, they swipe it, done. No serious counting done. Once, I asked for four, they gave me five with out knowing,. I turned them all back in, but again, just saying, not every attendant is that adamant about towel count.

The ship has video everywhere in public areas. If my personal stuff turns up missing, first I would go to the towel station to see if they had removed my items because you are not supposed to save chairs more than about 30 minutes. If that was not the case, I would call security. I have every confidence they would have any thing that happened around the pool on video and could resolve it pretty quickly.

We were on Oasis just a few weeks ago and I had one towel attendant tell me that green cards don't need to swipe for towels. Now I think she was seeing our suite sea pass card, but I never heard that suite guests do not need to check out/check in towels.

I did keep checking out/checking in just in case and I never saw a charge.