Jump to content

Royal Up Bids - All Still Pending (Thoughts?)


sandc4e
 Share

Recommended Posts

Checking for folks opinions here on our Royal Up Bids

We booked Suite GTY and have a JS assigned, put in RUB for all the suites and all are still "pending." I've heard from others on the cruise that some of their bids show expired so trying to figure out if we still have a chance with all these bids still pending.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Mine showed "pending" up until I got the email that said that it was upgraded..

I'm heading out on Mariner of the Seas on November 5th, but I never see anything in regards to 'pending' within the website.  Is there somewhere I can check?  Also, how far in advance have they been upgrading folks, I have 16 days left?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Ambykind said:

I'm heading out on Mariner of the Seas on November 5th, but I never see anything in regards to 'pending' within the website.  Is there somewhere I can check?  Also, how far in advance have they been upgrading folks, I have 16 days left?

Most people seem to get upgraded 1-4 days prior to sailing.

You can check the status of your bids here:  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/cruise-room-upgrade

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Most people seem to get upgraded 1-4 days prior to sailing.

You can check the status of your bids here:  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/cruise-room-upgrade

I hear what you're saying @SpeedNoodles and yet I still can't help but check my Royal Up every.....single.....day. It's like an obsession! 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It will show pending from the moment you bid until the offer is accepted or rejected.
 

However, some people have reported seeing other offers rejected while one offer still showing pending but ability to modify offer has gone away. I’m most cases that offer is accepted within a day or two but on the rare occasion even those have been rejected last minute. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like others, I go from Credit Card, to Royal website, to "...booked/cruise-room-upgrade" link at least twice a day.  Attempting to go from a JS to OS.  Currently,  my bid is not editable.  Frozen.. I emailed (no response) and called.  The answer was; bid is still valid, but wait.  Hmmm... I thought any bid could be modified until 3 hrs before scheduled boarding.  I do "find a cruise" and know OS are available.   We have 7 more days to go.  I guess I will let my bid play out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, important to note, 30 days does not actually mean 30 days… I have put in Royal Up bids outside of 60 days multiple times, it’s hit or miss. Much like the old days where a 1:00pm check in at the port meant you were on the ship eating lunch by 11:30am, RC always has play built into its parameters I’ve noticed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine showed pending until I received the attached email. Notice it was sent today, Oct 24 after 8pm…I received it while I was sitting in the Royal Theater waiting for the show to start. Good thing I had internet to know my bid was unsuccessful…three hours after sail-away! This is the second time in two weeks that this happened.

image.thumb.jpeg.b83eb9678c63284f56f6ab1d8e0eea6e.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’ve bid on five different cruise upgrades in the past couple years, bidding on multiple cabin types every time. 
 

Each time, within a week (give or take) of the sail date, all but one of the bids has shown expired when we click the “modify/cancel” link on the original email (the one that says they’ve received our bids).  This has always happened days before our card gets charged and we see a new room assignment  

The one bid that doesn’t show expired has been still in pending mode but we cannot modify it.   Each time, that pending bid has been a successful upgrade. 

We are just one couple with limited cruise experiences.  Everyone else’s mileage may vary.  In my opinion (based on reading here), the higher class cabin you bid on, the lower the odds are that you’ll be upgraded, especially when bidding on star class upgrades.  

We usually book at the lowest end of the cabin choices, so Royal Up is a cheap way to have a chance to see other cabin types…some of them we weren’t aware of before we received the opportunity to bid.    With one exception, we have always bid the minimum amount.  

The exception was on our first post-pandemic cruise out of Nassau in September.  We booked a balcony guarantee and bid minimum +$50 pp on a junior suite. This was a successful bid. 
 

On our next two early November cruises, we are currently pending (with all other bids expired) on a promenade view for $10 pp and an ocean view balcony for $60 pp.  
 



 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, teddy said:

We’ve bid on five different cruise upgrades in the past couple years, bidding on multiple cabin types every time. 
 

Each time, within a week (give or take) of the sail date, all but one of the bids has shown expired when we click the “modify/cancel” link on the original email (the one that says they’ve received our bids).  This has always happened days before our card gets charged and we see a new room assignment  

The one bid that doesn’t show expired has been still in pending mode but we cannot modify it.   Each time, that pending bid has been a successful upgrade. 

We are just one couple with limited cruise experiences.  Everyone else’s mileage may vary.  In my opinion (based on reading here), the higher class cabin you bid on, the lower the odds are that you’ll be upgraded, especially when bidding on star class upgrades.  

We usually book at the lowest end of the cabin choices, so Royal Up is a cheap way to have a chance to see other cabin types…some of them we weren’t aware of before we received the opportunity to bid.    With one exception, we have always bid the minimum amount.  

The exception was on our first post-pandemic cruise out of Nassau in September.  We booked a balcony guarantee and bid minimum +$50 pp on a junior suite. This was a successful bid. 
 

On our next two early November cruises, we are currently pending (with all other bids expired) on a promenade view for $10 pp and an ocean view balcony for $60 pp.  
 



 

 

Any thoughts on why all my bids would still show pending?  If not in "expired" state does that mean still an opportunity to get RU?  We sail on Sunday, so today is the 5 day mark.

And hello from a fellow Mainah!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, sandc4e said:

Any thoughts on why all my bids would still show pending?  If not in "expired" state does that mean still an opportunity to get RU?  We sail on Sunday, so today is the 5 day mark.

And hello from a fellow Mainah!

I would say that if all are still pending and you still have the ability to modify them, then no decisions have been made. 
 

I’ve read here that some have received emails the day of their sailing….both successful and unsuccessful. 
 

51 minutes ago, sandc4e said:

And hello from a fellow Mainah!

Nice to see you.  I’m outside of Portland and it looks like we’re going to get soaked later today. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's amazing that you were able to get an upgrade from GTY to Junior for only $60 per person.  I'm bidding the same for my cruise in Dec on Harmony for a very small bid of $80 per person for GTY Balcony to Oceanview Balcony.  The website is considering this a weak bid, but if you were able to win an upgrade at $60 pp, I'm feeling a little more hopeful!  The Royal Up page says my bid is still Pending, and I am able to modify until my cruise which is 40 days away. 

Still debating if I should put a few more bucks into the bid.  From what it looks like, if I were to select my own room just playing with the website, it seems that the Oceanview Balconies are going quicker than the lower level balconies (ie. non-oceanview balconies).  I guess I'm betting on lower pandemic capacity to win with a cheap bid.

8 hours ago, teddy said:

rst post-pandemic cruise out of Nassau in September.  We booked

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, DenV said:

That's amazing that you were able to get an upgrade from GTY to Junior for only $60 per person.  I'm bidding the same for my cruise in Dec on Harmony for a very small bid of $80 per person for GTY Balcony to Oceanview Balcony.  The website is considering this a weak bid, but if you were able to win an upgrade at $60 pp, I'm feeling a little more hopeful!  The Royal Up page says my bid is still Pending, and I am able to modify until my cruise which is 40 days away. 

Still debating if I should put a few more bucks into the bid.  From what it looks like, if I were to select my own room just playing with the website, it seems that the Oceanview Balconies are going quicker than the lower level balconies (ie. non-oceanview balconies).  I guess I'm betting on lower pandemic capacity to win with a cheap bid.

 

Oh no...we bid the minimum +$50...it came out to $250 pp because the minimum bid was $200 pp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/21/2021 at 6:41 PM, sandc4e said:

Checking for folks opinions here on our Royal Up Bids

We booked Suite GTY and have a JS assigned, put in RUB for all the suites and all are still "pending." I've heard from others on the cruise that some of their bids show expired so trying to figure out if we still have a chance with all these bids still pending.

 

Mine was pending until three hours AFTER we sailed. LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

How much weight or credence should I put into the bid-o-meter? That is, is a "weak" bid according to the bid-o-meter really "weak?" By what standards is it judged "weak?"

I only use that meter to confirm what the lowest starting bid is, I then bid what I am comfortable with doing my own math. How much is the cabin I would LOVE to have, how much did I pay already for the cabin I LOVE now, and I do the math and bid what I am comfortable with knowing that amount will be charged to my card & I pay in full so there's that....the heaviest of the considerations. I honestly NEVER look to that meter again. Now I have NEVER won a bid so probably not the best advice, but knowing so many other things go into awarding these upgrades I have the ability to feel comfortable with zero regard for the "weak" bid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Neesa said:

I only use that meter to confirm what the lowest starting bid is, I then bid what I am comfortable with doing my own math. How much is the cabin I would LOVE to have, how much did I pay already for the cabin I LOVE now, and I do the math and bid what I am comfortable with knowing that amount will be charged to my card & I pay in full so there's that....the heaviest of the considerations. I honestly NEVER look to that meter again. Now I have NEVER won a bid so probably not the best advice, but knowing so many other things go into awarding these upgrades I have the ability to feel comfortable with zero regard for the "weak" bid. 

The credit card charge is the number one consideration (ditto on the monthly payoff). My own opinion is that it is the "pressure-o-meter;" Royal lists their minimum bid, and after that, it is the equivalent of the auctioneer pointing at YOU for your next bid "Ma'am, $500 to you" waiting for you to raise it to $600. 

Google Ads Bidding Strategies: The Ultimate Guide

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

The credit card charge is the number one consideration (ditto on the monthly payoff). My own opinion is that it is the "pressure-o-meter;" Royal lists their minimum bid, and after that, it is the equivalent of the auctioneer pointing at YOU for your next bid "Ma'am, $500 to you" waiting for you to raise it to $600. 

Google Ads Bidding Strategies: The Ultimate Guide

Yes! Pressure-O-Meter, Exactly!  * I do visit my bids daily lol to see if they are pending or expired. It's addictive!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We bid on and won our RoyalUP offer for our cruise back on Oct 17th on Allure.  We had a balcony and won a Grand Suite.  The original cost of our balcony room was around $1,100 for two people, then we offered $1,200 per person and won the Grand Suite. I believe the min bid amount was $800-900 per person.  So we got a Grand Suite for $3,500 total cost, which was typically priced at closer to $7-8K.  We really bid-up just to get the extra perks of the suite class, and to get the much bigger room and bathroom!👌  We put in min bids on Jr. Suite, 2-Bd Grand Suite, and Owner's Suite(but some of these min bids where more than the one we won.  

    We also met another couple on the boat that bid and won the same class of suite that we got, and we shared our experiences of waiting. 

I would say we got our notifications on the winning bid aprox 3 days before we cruised.  And all other bids showed expired aprox 1 week out, with the winning bid in pending status up until 3-days out.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

If the suites show "sold out" then why do they show up in the Royal Up? In case they get cancelations? Or, are they holding those back for the Royal Up?

I don't believe they would hold back for Royal Up, they can make so much more selling them at full price. I believe they offer even sold out cabins just in case the cabin becomes available (especially with cwc) At the end of the day every sailing makes $$ and RU helps add to the pot. If they RU a line of cabins its even more $$. I would think maybe this practice yields to a more euphoric passenger maybe so happy willing to spend even more $$ once on board. Just my 2 cents. Oh, I haven't checked my bids yet this afternoon. 24 days to go I need to STOP NOW!! Oh, I will totally be a euphoric winner, please?

Oh, and maybe the person in the cabin offered will RU thus making it available for us to bid on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a “free” casino balcony room booked on Symphony of the Seas Oct 2nd (port charges and taxes).  Around a month before cruise I was offered RoyalUp for spacious balcony, junior suite, grande suite and owner suite.  I didn’t bid on the spacious balcony room.  A week or so before my junior and owner said expired, and grande still showed pending.  I did mock booking for a grande suite and saw there were six six available.  At that point, I was pretty sure I was awarded the grande suite.  Four days out I got the e-mail for a successful bid for the grande suite.  Ten hours after that my credit card was charged.  Just the opposite of most people.  I cancelled my internet since it came with the grande suite.  All in all, I got the grande suite for less than $2200..  My bid was $975 a person.  Remember I started the process paying only port charges and taxes for my original room.  I’m a grande suite woman now.  The bathroom was truly a “wow.”  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

If the suites show "sold out" then why do they show up in the Royal Up? In case they get cancelations? Or, are they holding those back for the Royal Up?

Even if the rooms are sold out there may be people in the room that may get a higher upgrade making the room available on bid only, and not online.  That was true on our Bids that we won.  They where sold out, but me and the other couple both got upgraded to the sold out Grand Suites.  Guessing those with Grand Suites got upgraded to Owner or higher suites.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Yesiamthere6 said:

I had a “free” casino balcony room booked on Symphony of the Seas Oct 2nd (port charges and taxes).  Around a month before cruise I was offered RoyalUp for spacious balcony, junior suite, grande suite and owner suite.  I didn’t bid on the spacious balcony room.  A week or so before my junior and owner said expired, and grande still showed pending.  I did mock booking for a grande suite and saw there were six six available.  At that point, I was pretty sure I was awarded the grande suite.  Four days out I got the e-mail for a successful bid for the grande suite.  Ten hours after that my credit card was charged.  Just the opposite of most people.  I cancelled my internet since it came with the grande suite.  All in all, I got the grande suite for less than $2200..  My bid was $975 a person.  Remember I started the process paying only port charges and taxes for my original room.  I’m a grande suite woman now.  The bathroom was truly a “wow.”  

Congratulations !!  Did you call Club Royale before making your RU bid to find out how much they would have charged you for a straight upgrade ?  Sometimes those casino comp upgrades can be very cheap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/27/2021 at 8:12 PM, Baked Alaska said:

How much weight or credence should I put into the bid-o-meter? That is, is a "weak" bid according to the bid-o-meter really "weak?" By what standards is it judged "weak?"

We ignore it, but obviously that is not a scientifically validated winning technique  😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/29/2021 at 5:22 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Congratulations !!  Did you call Club Royale before making your RU bid to find out how much they would have charged you for a straight upgrade ?  Sometimes those casino comp upgrades can be very cheap.

Shoot!  I didn’t even think about doing that. It could of been cheaper. Next time I’m calling. Thank you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

I've gotten all "expired" and one "pending" AND was unable to modify my bid. It then changed to "pending" and "upgrade unavailable" respectively. So I guess it doesn't mean not being able to modify = royalup is successful sadly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Royalfan22 said:

I've gotten all "expired" and one "pending" AND was unable to modify my bid. It then changed to "pending" and "upgrade unavailable" respectively. So I guess it doesn't mean not being able to modify = royalup is successful sadly.

Do you mean unsuccessful? What cruise are you bidding on? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...